Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FEBRUARY WITH AN R  (Read 29375 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: FEBRUARY WITH AN R
« Reply #300 on: February 01, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

I am watching IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER on TCM....I really like this movie and think the male star trio do a fantastic job.....

Has always been one of my favorite musicals. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I finally found the soundtrack LP many years ago in a record store in Manhattan. One of my happiest days was finally getting a decent copy of the film on laserdisc in widescreen (even though MGM cheated on the letterbox and didn't frame it well). The DVD I have now gets played often.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »

One of my favorite things about the Super Bowl was that NBC had a ton of ads for their shows tomorrow. I loved the promos. Especially happy to see MEDIUM will be back tomorrow. And the commercials for 3D CHUCK looked good too!

Michael

« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »

I am curious.

Those on the west coast

What is NBC schedule now that the Superbowl is over. Here (east coast) they ran an episode of the Office
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »

I had a full evening of viewing trying to clear off the DVR as much as possible for an upcoming week with lots of new episodes of favorite TV shows.

But first I finished the bonus features on THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL. I thought it was funny that in the interview with the top billed actress in the movie, she admitted neither she nor any of the other actors knew what the movie was about when they were making it and still don't know all these years later. I had the same reaction. I had my own interpretation, but I'm sure it was just my own judgments.

Cillaliz

« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »

DR Matt H, I'm still impressed you gave up chocolate.  Have you lost weight on your diet or is it just to eat healthy?

I've lost about 14 pounds. I wasn't hughly overweight, but my pants were getting too tight around my waist, and I can now comfortably fit into all of my jeans and cords that were getting too tight.

Thanks so much for asking!

:)

Congrats!  That's a great weight loss

Michael

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »

One of my favorite things about the Super Bowl was that NBC had a ton of ads for their shows tomorrow. I loved the promos. Especially happy to see MEDIUM will be back tomorrow. And the commercials for 3D CHUCK looked good too!

All those promos,,,,,does that mean they didn't sell the commercial time???
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

Page Eleven Dance!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »

I should also mention the wonderful women of Home - Mona Washbourne and Dandy Nichols - they were also great.  But Richardson and Gielgud - you just don't see their like anymore - there's so much history there, and watching them is like reading a textbook on great acting.

Matt H.

« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »

I began my evening watching Thursday night's SMALLVILLE. A Lana  Lang-centric episode. Gag. And now that she's "Supergirl," what's next?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

All those promos,,,,,does that mean they didn't sell the commercial time???

They sold all the ad time.  They just kept some for themself.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »

Thirteen of us on at the same time - we haven't had THAT for a while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »

I'm thinking about making two pieces of rye toast with jam.

Matt H.

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »

I should also mention the wonderful women of Home - Mona Washbourne and Dandy Nichols - they were also great.  But Richardson and Gielgud - you just don't see their like anymore - there's so much history there, and watching them is like reading a textbook on great acting.

When I saw that production on (I guess it was) PBS, I was mesmerized. Haven't seen it again in many years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »

I'm watching a strange little low-budget film - not too great, but it's Rod Steiger, Burt Reynolds, and Tom Berenger, and they're enjoyable.  What's not enjoyable is seeing what Mr. Reynolds has done to his face.  Appalling.

Matt H.

« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »

Next I watched an episode of THE STARTER WIFE from Universal-HD. This was the episode where Molly fell back into bed with her ex- Kenny. The movie parodies they sprinkle through the show are sometimes very funny and sometimes lame.

Michael

« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »

Forgot to mention.....

I saw Slumdog Millionaire today...

I wasn't bowled over it. I liked it but it wasn't what people made it out to be.

Also do the Academy members get lyrics to the two songs nominated?

One is "Bollywood" style song at the end and the other I don't  remember where it was used.

The Academy has honored Greek, French, Spanish and Italian songs before but don't know what they did for those songs.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »

I'm watching a strange little low-budget film - not too great, but it's Rod Steiger, Burt Reynolds, and Tom Berenger, and they're enjoyable.  What's not enjoyable is seeing what Mr. Reynolds has done to his face.  Appalling.

I don't understand why stars do this. We all know how long they've been around, and for them to try to shave 20+ years, well, it just doesn't work and it makes them look like aliens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »

Earlier, I got an e-mail that made me feel very good.  I love getting stuff like this out of the blue -

Hi Bruce – This is not so much a question….but a comment.   Since it was first released, I’ve had a copy of the 2006 cast recording.   I still love it as much as the first time I heard it – and trust me, I’ve just about worn that CD paper thin.

In 2007, I was in NY in September when “The Brain from Planet X” was part of NYMF.  I saw it as many times as I could -  A very clever, fun show that my friends and I still talk about.    We quote it, sing it, and laugh.   Since I’ve enjoyed it so much,  I wanted to personally thank you for having pulled this together and remind you of a legacy of laughter that has reached and affected folks you may never know.

Thank You,

Matt H.

« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

Next I watched WEdnesday night's LIFE ON MARS. I generally enjoyed the episode and there was a great "what the hell?" reveal at the end of the episode. Funny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »

Forgot to mention.....

I saw Slumdog Millionaire today...

I wasn't bowled over it. I liked it but it wasn't what people made it out to be.

Also do the Academy members get lyrics to the two songs nominated?

One is "Bollywood" style song at the end and the other I don't  remember where it was used.

The Academy has honored Greek, French, Spanish and Italian songs before but don't know what they did for those songs.

Well, that's the problem, you see.  I didn't really know anything about the film when I saw it - I'd read just a couple of things, but hadn't heard the buzz and therefore just saw what was on the screen.  People can't stop trying to make these things sound like the second coming.  It's a nice film that achieves everything it set out to achieve. 

Matt H.

« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »

And I concluded my evening viewing with a second episode of THE STARTER WIFE. This was the one that revealed the identity of Molly's stalker. But now the Judy Davis character is missing, so a new mystery to unravel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »

I don't understand why stars do this. We all know how long they've been around, and for them to try to shave 20+ years, well, it just doesn't work and it makes them look like aliens.

In Mr. Reynold's case it's really not good work.  He finally got his toupee right (very real looking), but totally screwed up his face all in the name of vanity.

Matt H.

« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »

I think the next film in my review queue is the Blu-ray of PRETTY WOMAN. If it isn't that, it's the Blu-ray of Spike Lee's MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA. One of those will be my work project tomorrow.

Michael

« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

Just read this about the Kentucky Rep Theater

Curtains for Kentucky Repertory Theatre?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090201/SCENE05/902010333/1047
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »

Heading down now to turn off the lights and head for bed.

Good night!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

While I advise saving instead of spending, & have been doing so, I'm also planning a big splurge.  We have decided 40 years of marriage deserves a romantic location & a big splurge. Plus we reserved the pet sitter last June.

Craig is encouraging us to go to his favorite spot, Greece.  The Amalfi Coast looks very romantic.  Barcelona (Craig's second choice) is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities.  Has anyone been to any of these spots?

I've been to all three. My first choice by far would be the Amalfi Coast, particularly Positano. It's relaxed, laid back, and very romantic. Great local food (and vegitarian dishes are plentiful - the Mom and Pop restaurants will also be glad to oblige with special orders).  There is also a lot to see and do on day trips - Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Sorrento.

Barcelona has pretty architecture, but it is a big, bustling commercial city  - with traffic as bad as Rome.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »

Wow--that had to be one of the best Super Bowl games I ever saw!  The game, the halftime show with The Boss, the commercials--for once, it all lived up to the hype.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »

Congratulations to the Steelers for their win. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:28:25 PM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »

Well... I've been feeling sort of "slow" all day, and since I'm already a little sleepy...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »

Just read this about the Kentucky Rep Theater

Curtains for Kentucky Repertory Theatre?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090201/SCENE05/902010333/1047

This is not good in so many ways.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up