Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEBRUARY WITH AN R  (Read 29125 times)

MBarnum

Re: FEBRUARY WITH AN R
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »

Page Nine PT Cruiser Dance.

That picture is a LOT of whiteness!

MBarnum

« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »

I had a delightful talk with the lovely Jil Jarmyn tonight! What a sweet lady! Some may remember her from the Roger Corman film SWAMP WOMEN...others might not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »

Finished with my viewing for the evening.  Considering we had thirteen users on when I was here almost two hours ago and we've had about five posts since then, I am astonished, oh, yes, I am astonished.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #333 on: February 01, 2009, 11:35:42 PM »

I think my computer has a virus...trojan...something. :P I keep getting this pop-up banner saying that my computer is being attacked from the Internet and how should this program (that I downloaded and installed...my bad...but uninstalled) handle it.  NOOOOO!!  I ran my McAfee virus software that Larry, my sister's boyfriend, put on my computer when he built it, but it never finds anything.  Larry said that I should uninstall that and reinstall it from Comcast.  Comcast customers get McAfee for free.  Since I was only sort of shown what to do with it when he built my computer, I don't really know how to use it.  I hope this works.  So far, nothing bad seems to be happening on my computer, except for this pop-up banner every 10 minutes or so. :-\

Well, I uninstalled the original McAfee from my computer and when I went to Comcast.net to reinstall the new McAfee, I got a screen "Action Cancelled.  Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable."  I tried several things and nothing worked.  Finally, I called Comcast customer service and spoke to someone who had difficulty understanding me (I had to spell my last name FOUR times), but eventually she got it.  Anyway, it turns out that since I only have Windows 2000 AND only 228 MB of RAM, my computer is incompatible with the new McAfee. :P I have to totally upgrade everything for it to work, but what that means is that right now, I have no virus protection!  I uninstalled the original McAfee and I don't have the original installation disc!  My sister's boyfriend built my computer, but it was several years ago.  Hopefully, he has something that will work.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2009, 11:43:30 PM »

DR GEORGE - this is the free ware that the computer tech installed on my computer after it had been attacked THREE times, and I have had no problems since.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Thanks, but I can't even get to this page. :-\ I get a "The page cannot be found" message.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2009, 11:47:17 PM »

I'm slowly catching up...

Good morning, all! Today is the 150th birthday of Victor Herbert, America's great Irish-American composer, and one of the creators of our musical theatre heritage. While some of his short pieces remain in the concert repertoire, larger works like the wonderful cello concertos and the tone poem "Hero and Leander" get only sporadic performances. Like Sir Arthur Sullivan, he was born in Ireland, trained in Germany, and moved to a large metropolis to achieve fame. In Herbert's case, it was a ticket to New York to play cello - like Jacques Offenbach he was a virtuoso cellist - in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. He was conductor for several years of the Pittsburgh Symphony, a Victor recording artist with the Victor Herbert Orchestra, and a mostly-forgotten musical theatre composer who wrote for all forms of turn-of-the-century musical theatre from opera to revue:
     MADELEINE and NATOMA (opera)
     THE MAGIC KNIGHT (parody opera)
     EILEEN, NAUGHTY MARIETTA, THE MADCAP DUCHESS, SWEETHEARTS (romantic operetta)
     THE RED MILL, MLLE MODISTE. THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER, IT HAPPENED IN NORDLAND (musical comedy)
      BABES IN TOYLAND, WONDERLAND (extravaganza)

I think he was, unlike Arthur Sullivan, looking for a WS Gilbert who never arrived, but he worked with the best of the Broadway set, who turn worked with other greats from Oscar Hammerstein II to Jerome Kern.  While not all of his shows would play well today and the quality of their scores can be inconsistent, second-rate Herbert is often better than some of the first-rate folk writing today.  Take 5 minutes out of your tme today and listen to something Victor Herbert wrote, from the sentimental nostalgia of "Toyland" to the piquant quaintness of the "March of the Toys," from the grandiose flights of "The Italian Street Song" to the Vaudeville knockabout of "The Streets of New York."

My favorite Victor Herbert number is "Barney O'Flynn" from BABES IN TOYLAND, an "Irish" song with a great swing and yearning subtext, but I'm partial to his two "Mignonette" songs, one cut from BABES and another in THE RED MILL, a very funny musical for two comedians. Happy birthday, Victor!

Happy Birthday to Victor Herbert!!  And thanks for the e-mail, Larry!!  I wondered what it was for. :D

George

« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »

DR MATTH - if you would like an anaglyph DVD of Kiss Me Kate that might work on your TV....send me your snail mail.

It's okay....and better than nothing.

I think I will just stick with Brent Barrett's KISS ME KATE.  It isn't perfect - but he is!

Yes, he is...I saw him in Kiss Me, Kate! in London. ;D

George

« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2009, 12:01:44 AM »

Hi all!  Just popping in for a quick moment.  Things are progressing with the house but not as fast as I would like.   

I do hope to be home by Valentines day.  At least that is the plan.

I also hope that everyone here is doing well. 

Thank you so much for the DVD, DR George!  I haven't had time to watch it yet but it is on my "to do" list.  A list that seems to grow with each passing day.  :)

Yay!  I'm glad you got it.

George

« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2009, 12:06:20 AM »

I have one word for you: Mac

And I have an answer - vulnerability to internet intrusions is platform independent; I don't know about modern Macs, but modern PCs usually come with Firewall Protection installed, or it is available in most security packages.

der Brucer

The problem is that my PC is not a modern PC. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up