Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 24184 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »

Well today we celebrated President's Afternoon.   We worked this morning, but I needed to be here for the repair man to come about the thermostat and I couldn't talk to most of the people I needed to talk to - they were off for the holiday. So we just closed the office. 

I did end up needing a new thermostat. Yikes! Who knew they were so expensive!  This one has a 5 year warranty so if it happens again

Hmmm...I often get a static shock when I touch my programmable thermostat.  Maybe I better start discharching myself somehow for now on before I short mine out too.

I would suggest it.  I had shocks many times and it didn't hurt the thermostat, but the last time, I reset it, changed the batteries and did all the stuff that was recommended.  The repairman checked everything out and couldn't get the display to work, so...I got a new one. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »

Congrats on the new car JMK.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

Well today we celebrated President's Afternoon.   We worked this morning, but I needed to be here for the repair man to come about the thermostat and I couldn't talk to most of the people I needed to talk to - they were off for the holiday. So we just closed the office. 

I did end up needing a new thermostat. Yikes! Who knew they were so expensive!  This one has a 5 year warranty so if it happens again

Hmmm...I often get a static shock when I touch my programmable thermostat.  Maybe I better start discharching myself somehow for now on before I short mine out too.

This happened at my parents' house.  It turned out that it was a short in the wiring and they had to get it replaced. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »

I think I shall go wireless. I went to Best Buy today to look at printers/scanners since mine seems to not like to work. A clerk offered his assistance and we got to talking about wireless...I asked him if Comcast offered wireless, and he informed me what the internet provider does not provied the wireless but that I just needed to get a wireless router...well who knew?

He showed the contraptions to me and helped me pick one out.

So how many here at HHW use wireless? Was it painless to hook up?

It's pretty easy, Mike, though some routers require a bit of "technical" knowledge--though, they come with instruction manuals.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »

Netgear is the wireless router I bought, it was on sale for $66. I think I might take it back and get the Netgear Rangemax for $99. It has a pretty blue light on it.

I think you'll be safe with the one you currently have. The Rangemax is geared more toward larger offices and houses.

Do you have a laptop? Or are you primarily using the wireless for your printer?  Are you using DSL? Cable? How fast is your modem? Etc., etc., etc.?

I will be using it with my laptop and maybe I will get a wireless printer (since the printer I have now seems to not want to work).

My current modem is, I guess, cable, from Comcast. I do not know how fast that is. But it seems fine.

MBarnum

« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »

I may keep my PC hooked up to the cable modem, however. Just as a secondary.

Cillaliz

« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »

Netgear is the wireless router I bought, it was on sale for $66. I think I might take it back and get the Netgear Rangemax for $99. It has a pretty blue light on it.

I think you'll be safe with the one you currently have. The Rangemax is geared more toward larger offices and houses.

Do you have a laptop? Or are you primarily using the wireless for your printer?  Are you using DSL? Cable? How fast is your modem? Etc., etc., etc.?

I will be using it with my laptop and maybe I will get a wireless printer (since the printer I have now seems to not want to work).

My current modem is, I guess, cable, from Comcast. I do not know how fast that is. But it seems fine.

Cable works great with wireless.  Your cable modem will connect to your router instead of your computer. Your router may have connections on the back where you can plug in your desk top so you won't need a wireless card for the desk top.   You'll love it once you get it set up

Cillaliz

« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »

Now I've got to get some sleep

td

• td
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »

I just finished introducing my mum to the stunning dvd of RYAN'S DAUGHTER's first act.  It looks incredible on her RCA with the upconversion.
She thinks the film is too deep. . .I think it is shallow (c'mon it is a simple soap opera), meticulously directed and absolutely beautiful to watch and listen to.  Although I think I like Maurice Jarre's score better when he re-worked it for A PASSAGE TO INDIA.

Oh!  The DVD Savant altered his review of HOBSON'S CHOICE because of my email to him. . .
Glen originally wrote that Brenda De Banzie was familiar to American audiences through THE PINK PANTHER (and the Gregory Pack flick THE PURPLE PLAIN).
I alerted him that MOST viewers would associate her with Hitchcock's latter THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »

I may keep my PC hooked up to the cable modem, however. Just as a secondary.

It's always good to have one computer directly connected to your modem/internet connection.

As for a "wireless printer", there are two issues here.  Some printers use Bluetooth so that you can print wirelessly directly from your computer, laptop and/or camera.*  However, with a wireless router you can set up a network that will allow you to print wirelessly.

*My Canon printer does have a Bluetooth option, but I would have to buy a separate Bluetooth "card" (that plugs into the printer) in order to use it, to print wirelessly.  I have my printer hooked into my Apple Airport Extreme (which is a router, and that's how I access my printer wirelessly.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »

And...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

Finished viewing and still trying not to be sick.  I think I might just win this fight.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »

Just wanted to say....

Jose's avvie is beyond cute... IT is adoreable!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »

I just finished introducing my mum to the stunning dvd of RYAN'S DAUGHTER's first act.  It looks incredible on her RCA with the upconversion.
She thinks the film is too deep. . .I think it is shallow (c'mon it is a simple soap opera), meticulously directed and absolutely beautiful to watch and listen to.  Although I think I like Maurice Jarre's score better when he re-worked it for A PASSAGE TO INDIA.

Not to wreak any kind of havoc or anything, but Jarre's score to "A Passage to India" was no more a reworking of his score to "Ryan's Daughter" than was the latter (and last) David Lean film a reworking of the former David Lean film.  There are no repeated themes of any kind from one film to the other.  The sound is uniquely Jarre's, however, and there is no mistaking a score of his when compared to scores of other composers.

If you would like another example of a composer whose scores bear a similarity, listen to John Barry's score to "Out of Africa" and compare it to "Dances With Wolves."  They are far more similar, IMO, than anything Jarre ever wrote for movies, and yet they are quite different from one another, too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:55:34 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »

Are the Oscars really this coming Sunday already?   Will there be a big HHW bash?

Do bears, porcupines, o'possums, squirrels, skunks, deer, rabbits and all manner of vermin and fowl poop in the woods?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »

Are the Oscars really this coming Sunday already?   Will there be a big HHW bash?

Do bears, porcupines, o'possums, squirrels, skunks, deer, rabbits and all manner of vermin and fowl poop in the woods?

Is the pope German?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

I enjoyed all my NBC primetime lineup this evening.

"Chuck" was really,  really good.  To comment on DR MAttH's frustrations about the secondary characters in Buy More, I think that as long as Chuck is able to maintain the appearance of a normal life, he will need to remain at Buy More and he will need to interact with his fellow employees there.  I've enjoyed many of the Buy More segments.  I do wonder, though, why Chuck is never seemingly at odds with Big Mike over absences from the store.

"Heroes" was all right.  I think the show is moving in a right direction, but it's too damned slow getting anywhere.  And I'm really hating Claire's makeup.  She seems to apply it in layers and she looks far too hard and crass the way she's been made up to look this year.  She's a pretty girl, and I'm not sure why they're working against that beauty.  I understand that Bryan Fuller, who wrote some of the best shows of its first season -- and who later created "Dead Like Me" and "Pushing Daisies" -- is returning to the show.   I hope it's not too late.

"Medium" -- lots of fun, I think, with Allison having waking visions.  Interesting episode.  I like for Joe to be more involved, and there was "just" enough of the three daughters to maintain a familial balance.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up