Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE  (Read 22727 times)

Ben

Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »

Kerry, love the new avatar!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

I also like Urban Dictionary's other definitions and usage of probie. ;)

I can see the one about "one who is on probation" being applicable to its use on TV shows.  But -- CRIMINY!

It's just another piece of "workplace slang". Heck, I've heard "probie" while walking around the city.  There's a satellite police station located in "my" subway station, and there are usually lots of "probies" talking to other "probies" on the platform.  -And there are more, I guess you could say more "colorful" terms for officers and certain procedures I've overheard from time to time.

*I don't really watch that many police procedurals on a regular basis, so I guess I don't hear the term as often as you do.  As for "intubate", well, I know a couple of interns and doctors, and it is a common procedure, so...  Although, "stat" being used in non-medical situations... meh...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »

The first cel phone I had was one of Music Guy's cast offs that I just kept in the car for emergencies and never really used it much.

I still believe in things like phone booths and making phone calls for a reason.

Yes, I, too, feel Superman needs a place to change out of his street clothes....and that folks ought to have something to say IF they are going to call you!

;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »

DITTO!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »

Speaking of wireless, I just lost a post, but can post fine from another room. This always amazes me. I guess I'm just from the wired world.

Kerry

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »

It only took me 5 years to figure it out!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

Oh, Probie--
Wants a girl who is dreamy. 
Probie--
Wants a girl who’s creamy.
Probie, wants a girl to call his own.
Is she blond?  Is she tall? 
Is she dark?  Is she small? 
Is she any kinda dreamboat at all?
No matter,
He’s hers and hers alone.

Truly warped!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »

Sugar needs to take me for a walk, Be right back.
I like boat races.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »

TOD:

My first cell phone was for emergencies, but i'd often use it for placing an order at the Indian restaurant. I soon found that I didnt need it or the monthly charge. I've had three cell phones now, but haven't bonded with any of them. I'm currently shopping for something I actually LIKE. I'm looking into AT&T's plan. I don't want to be locked into a high monthly rate, but need the latitude to make calls when I need to.

Any recommendations (pro or con)?

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »

I already saw tonight's MENTALIST (for some reason they are playing it here on sundays).  And the CW shows are repeats again (what is up with that?).

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

Btw, re: tonight's IDOL

Is it 1 guy goes through, 1 girl goes through, and then the next highest vote getter?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »

The cast of Shrek was just on "The View" - I know those people!  Hi!!

;)

*Good promo for the show - long segment, two(!) numbers.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »

Oh, yeah--another thing about my first mobile phone--you paid for each call by the minute!  There were no call plans then.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »

Btw, re: tonight's IDOL

Is it 1 guy goes through, 1 girl goes through, and then the next highest vote getter?

I have no idea.  But I'm sure it's covered on Idol's website, isn't it?  Or you could just stop wondering and worrying and just watch the show tonight and find out.  ;)

*I'm just trying to remember if past seasons divided the preliminary rounds like this before.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

I also like Urban Dictionary's other definitions and usage of probie. ;)

I can see the one about "one who is on probation" being applicable to its use on TV shows.  But -- CRIMINY!

It's just another piece of "workplace slang". Heck, I've heard "probie" while walking around the city.  There's a satellite police station located in "my" subway station, and there are usually lots of "probies" talking to other "probies" on the platform.  -And there are more, I guess you could say more "colorful" terms for officers and certain procedures I've overheard from time to time.

*I don't really watch that many police procedurals on a regular basis, so I guess I don't hear the term as often as you do.  As for "intubate", well, I know a couple of interns and doctors, and it is a common procedure, so...  Although, "stat" being used in non-medical situations... meh...

I used to watch "E.R."   It wasn't the stories or the cast that got stale.  I got "intubated" and "stat-ed" to death.

AUGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »

I already saw tonight's MENTALIST (for some reason they are playing it here on sundays).  And the CW shows are repeats again (what is up with that?).

On Thursday nights, it's manna from heaven.   Thursday is the heaviest night of the week for shows I want to watch.  "Bones", "Ugly Betty", "Smallville" and "Survivor" all air at the same time.  I can record two and watch one as it airs.  But which one to drop??
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »

TOD:

My first cell phone was for emergencies, but i'd often use it for placing an order at the Indian restaurant. I soon found that I didnt need it or the monthly charge. I've had three cell phones now, but haven't bonded with any of them. I'm currently shopping for something I actually LIKE. I'm looking into AT&T's plan. I don't want to be locked into a high monthly rate, but need the latitude to make calls when I need to.

Any recommendations (pro or con)?

For the very brief time I was with them, I remember that AT&T had a $49.99 single line plan (though I don't remember how many minutes.)  You could probably pick up a regular old phone-type phone (meaning, not an iPhone) for about $50 after a rebate.  If you aren't interested on texting or accessing the internet, you'll save on the added costs there.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »

On Thursday nights, it's manna from heaven.   Thursday is the heaviest night of the week for shows I want to watch.  "Bones", "Ugly Betty", "Smallville" and "Survivor" all air at the same time.  I can record two and watch one as it airs.  But which one to drop??

You could always watch one online?

We don't get the CW here so Smallville airs on a station called Suntv (thurs at 8pm). But it repeats on the weekends on our Space station.

You'll be okay this week because Smallville is a repeat again. I guess just hope that the shows have a different repeats schedule.

Plus Ugly Betty is going off for a while.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:51 AM »

On Thursday nights, it's manna from heaven.   Thursday is the heaviest night of the week for shows I want to watch.  "Bones", "Ugly Betty", "Smallville" and "Survivor" all air at the same time.  I can record two and watch one as it airs.  But which one to drop??

Are any of those shows available on-line for free?

Spoo--DR Jenn beat me to it...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »

Are any of those shows available on-line for free?

Spoo--DR Jenn beat me to it...

Ha ha. I think survivor and ugly betty are online for sure for anyone in the US.

Ah that reminds me i did not watch last night's THE CITY and THE CITY aftershow yet.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:24 AM »

I am going to the movies tonight.

The funniest part is that the choices are:

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic
2. Slumdog Millionaire.

Not exactly similar!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »

It's still an impossible movie - but most of the cast (with the exception of Edy Williams) is attractive.  But my favorite part of the movie EVER and ALWAYS happens about 20 minutes into it when the Carrie Nations sing a song titled "In the Long Run."  A really nice song, and at least from what little I know about the guitar, Cynthia Myers as Casey Anderson seems to actually be playing the right strings and chords on her bass.

IN THE LONG run is one of my all time favorite songs, and I also love that part of this movie! I met Cynthia Myers during my last trip to Los Angeles...she is very sweet and funny and kooky!

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

I think I got my first cell phone about 7 or 8 years ago. I had dial up internet at that time and got tired of friends and family complaining that my phone line was always busy.

I don't use my cell phone all that much but it is certainly a handy item to have when on vacation or just out and about.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2009, 09:32:16 AM »

Have any other DRs noticed a sudden surge in spam in their spam-email boxes over the past two days?  -Just wondrin'.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very groggy, and my eyes are not focusing at all.  I think my throat is feeling a little better but my voice is VERY weak right now.  I've had a nice hot cut of EmergenC and am sucking on a Coldeez. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:22 AM »

I think I had my first cell phone in 1991 or 92 - I wore it in a holster.  I got it when I was shooting the Hanna-Barbera kid-vid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »

We've come a long way, baby.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »

Here's my secret for getting a photo of Canada geese with goslings without getting chased:

Yes, that's correct -- make my kid go out there.

;D

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:04 AM »

DR Kerry, my body doesn’t like damp weather either.  I hope you bounce right back once the rains are gone.
You look very cute in your new avatar.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »

TOD - Fall of 1994.  When I started teaching at Miami University in Oxford, a grizzly 25-mile drive from home, I said I'd get a "car phone" before the bad weather set in.  Well, in September, my car died about 5 miles out of Oxford and I pulled off to the side of the road, put my HELP sign in the back window and waited.  The cows from the adjacent field came over and peered into my passenger side windows and, finally, a Butler County sheriff stopped.  He called a tow truck to come for my car and took me on to work in his cruiser.

The next day I got a clunky phone in a bag that I kept under the seat.  It was a pain to hook up and would have been pretty useless in a real emergency.  Since then, I've had 3 successively smaller models and, in 2003, added Richard and Rob to the plan.  We're pretty dependent on our cell phones now and I doubt Rob will ever have a land line.  If when Richard and I ever move from this house, we probably won't have one, either.

Enjoyed your story, Ginny.

So do I.  I also suggest you keep that land line.  It is easier for you and Richard to speak on the phone with Rob at the same time. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up