Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUSY WEEK  (Read 26516 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: THE BUSY WEEK
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 06:41:54 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR DRUXY

Laura

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:47 AM »

I think Whoopie looked stunning in leopard spots.

But then I'm always stunned when people wear leopard spots.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »

AS IF BY WIZARDRY PAGE 2

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:53 AM »

As for last night's Oscar telecast...

-It wasn't the first time they put some of the big awards - Supporting Actress/Actor - up front.

-It was interesting to note that in the "Musicals are back" medley that Hugh Jackman sang live, while Beyoncé lip-synced.

-I had forgotten - until this morning - that the presenters were asked not to walk the Red Carpet in order to add a sense of surprise to the ceremony.  -Which explains why the Red Carpet coverage did seem a bit less busy than in year's past.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »

Well, I need to run an errand or two...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 07:02:41 AM »

After watching the Oscarcast, I went to the back room and watched Wall-E again.  Great writing, great realization onto the screen.

But, after the tributes to the various artists during the end credits, I found Peter Gabriel's song a but pretentious, so I turned it off.

Let's face it. the song didn't deserve a full, stand-alone production for the Oscarcast, and I'm glad it didn't get one.  Integrating the song with the numbers from Slumdog Millionaire was the one good decision the producers made.

I have to disagree here, DR Woody.  I found Gabriel's music and lyrics stirring and hopeful and the perfect accompaniment to the animated illustrations that depicted mankind's reclamation of the Earth.  The movie couldn't have ended any better for me.  The song grabbed me on an emotional level in a way that no other movie song has in a long time....

Dan, I think you've just proven my point. 

When the song was part of the story, that first section that accompanied "the animated illustrations that depicted mankind's reclamation of the Earth", it worked quite well.  Once those illustrations were finished, however, and the bulk of the end titles began to roll, the song just went on... and on... and on.  It's meaning buttressed the animation, but on it's own it isn't nearly as strong - the song needs the animation as much as, if not more than, the animation needed the song.  The cut-down version used in the Oscarcast was quite sufficient.  (Having Gabriel's song reprised in counterpoint to the song that won was a good idea, and had an affirming resonance.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DAW

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***
to DR JoseSPiano!!!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »

For as long as I can remember, Jose, the Supporting Actress award has been the first award presented.  It sort of acts like a hook, to keep viewiers interested.  Presenting the Supporting Actor award mid-way through the proceedings does the same thing.  That's for all the people who think that actors are the only people who work in the movies, and would rather the rest of the awards be done in private, in a back room, off-camera, the way they're now presented during the Tonys. 

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »

I just read the last few pages from yesterday's posts.

Dear esteemed BK:

Der Brucer and I don't usually join in the festivities during the Oscarcast, or during the Tonys for that matter.  As der B pointed out, it would require us getting up from the living room, running into the den where the computer is located, then running back to the living room (and having to back up to the point where we had jumped up, so that we wouldn't miss anything), and back and forth and so on.

This upsets the dogs, who would really rather that we settle down so that they can settle down on top of us.

And we both much prefer concentrating on the show (and making derisive comments after) over kibbutzing on-line while the show is running.  We kibbutz enough between ourselves during the broadcast.  What you get here, afterwards, is our distilled kibbutz - a much finer brew.

I sort of watched the little musicale that Hugh and Beyonce did, using the television in the kitchen, while I was getting dinner on the table.  From what I could tell, it wasn't worth my full attention.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »

Good morning!

It's our last truly cold day for awhile (maybe for the winter) with a gradual warming trend for the rest of the week. I'm a fan of cooler weather, but I have to admit I'm ready for winter to be over.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:27 AM »

Well, I applaud Bill Condon and his staff for trying to update and freshen the Oscars. Not all of it worked, but I celebrate their efforts, and I hope next year will see refinements to the basic overhaul that the show sorely needs. I liked more than I disliked about this year's show.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »

After watching the Oscarcast, I went to the back room and watched Wall-E again.  Great writing, great realization onto the screen.

But, after the tributes to the various artists during the end credits, I found Peter Gabriel's song a but pretentious, so I turned it off.

Let's face it. the song didn't deserve a full, stand-alone production for the Oscarcast, and I'm glad it didn't get one.  Integrating the song with the numbers from Slumdog Millionaire was the one good decision the producers made.

I have to disagree here, DR Woody.  I found Gabriel's music and lyrics stirring and hopeful and the perfect accompaniment to the animated illustrations that depicted mankind's reclamation of the Earth.  The movie couldn't have ended any better for me.  The song grabbed me on an emotional level in a way that no other movie song has in a long time....

Dan, I think you've just proven my point. 

When the song was part of the story, that first section that accompanied "the animated illustrations that depicted mankind's reclamation of the Earth", it worked quite well.  Once those illustrations were finished, however, and the bulk of the end titles began to roll, the song just went on... and on... and on.  It's meaning buttressed the animation, but on it's own it isn't nearly as strong - the song needs the animation as much as, if not more than, the animation needed the song.  The cut-down version used in the Oscarcast was quite sufficient.  (Having Gabriel's song reprised in counterpoint to the song that won was a good idea, and had an affirming resonance.)

Well, it's been a while since I watched WALL-E so I'm not recalling that the song goes on beyond the initial credits but I don't doubt that it does.  But is that the fault of the song, itself?  More than likely, the sound mixer/music decider-upon-er (or whatever the title is) wanted the song to continue into the scrolling credits.  Gabriel and his chorus might have provided the tracks or the song producer or whoever might have just looped and tweaked the tracks to lengthen the song to the desired point.  But the song by itself is entirely effective.

In most cases, when a movie gets to those endless technical credits, any scoring becomes exit music and pretty much generic to my ears--I'm usually either discussing the movies with friends or letting the film settle into myself (or trying to shake it off.)  Since I liked what I already heard of "Down to Earth", by then it would have been pleasant background music.

I can't give a fair assessment of "Jai Ho" since I haven't seen SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE yet.  I have heard the radio version of it which, IMHO, goes on for just a little bit too long.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »

Thanks, guys & gals, for all the birthday wishes.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:44 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - CHUCK, HEROES, MEDIUM
ABC - THE BACHELOR, TRUE BEAUTY
FOX - HOUSE, '24'
TNT - THE CLOSER (season finale), TRUST ME

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Druxy!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »

As I mentioned last night, unless something review-worthy comes in the mail today that needs my immediate attention, I'm going to take the day off. I only got 6 hours of sleep, and I think I'd have concentration issues if I tried to review something today. Of course, a good lunch out with best friend John might revive me, too.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:11 AM »

Why, Dan, you mean to tell us that you don't read every credit with rapt attention???

(Shakes head in total disbelief)

;D ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:31 AM »

Why, Dan, you mean to tell us that you don't read every credit with rapt attention???

(Shakes head in total disbelief)

;D ;)

I always check to see who was Best Boy and the Main Grip.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:53 AM »

In celebration of Sean Penn's win last night, I thought I'd take MYSTIC RIVER off the shelf and revisit it today. I don't remember a lot about it, so it'll be fun to see it again.

I also have the 3-D CHUCK episode and now some proper glasses to watch that which I also plan to get to today.

I'd also like to watch another episode of MOONLIGHT from its season box set.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:02 AM »

DR Druxy and I were both correct in our predictions of the top six categories.  How did everyone else do?
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »

Der Brucer is, by his own admission, an end credits junkie.

I'm used to it.  In fact, I tend towards being the same - it's not the names of the people that interest us, as it is the myriad jobs that making a movie can involve.

The grandlads, of course, have no patience for this, and want to dash out of the theater immediately.  I have usually followed after them, letting der B indulge in his fix.  And, of course, when a film included an extra little dollop after the credits have rolled, der B will tell me about them after the fact.

Which isn't nearly as much fun.

(We're also previews junkies.)

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Druxy.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

I actually liked the Opening musical number at the Oscars last night.

And I liked Miley Cyrus' dress. It wasn't my absolute favorite. But it looked nice on her!

My favorite dress of the evening. One of the only ones where i said "wow" was Anne Hathaway. Another dress i think i would have loved (but i only saw part of it when she presented) was halle berry's dress.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »

Der Brucer is, by his own admission, an end credits junkie.

I'm used to it.  In fact, I tend towards being the same - it's not the names of the people that interest us, as it is the myriad jobs that making a movie can involve.

The grandlads, of course, have no patience for this, and want to dash out of the theater immediately.  I have usually followed after them, letting der B indulge in his fix.  And, of course, when a film included an extra little dollop after the credits have rolled, der B will tell me about them after the fact.

Which isn't nearly as much fun.

(We're also previews junkies.)

I usually like to sit until the credits are done and the music is done (not, like I said, that I really pay attention toi either.)

What is starting to weary me are the added surprises that have been popping up at the end of the credits recently.  It's getting so that you feel that you have to stay to make sure you don't miss something.  I'm sure the theatre clean up crews aren't too happy about it, either.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 07:56:36 AM »

I really liked having the 5 past winners come on stage and present the acting awards. Although i will agree that i preferred those moments where it seemed genuine vs them just reading out lines written for them.

But i thought this allowed equal focus on all nominees, where usually the focus is only on the winners.

I also did not care for beyonce.  The idea was great. But to me i could not understand what was going on. Maybe i missed the pre-speech where they explained what they were doing. I enjoyed seeing the High School Musical/Mamma Mia kids. But wish that someone else had done the Beyonce part. But i loved hugh jackman. And loved that they let him sing a lot.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »

Hello, everyone.

I've never been a big fan of the Oscars presentation, but I do think it's much more fun with all the HHW input.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR DRUXY!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 07:59:10 AM »

Of the winning films...

Well, really, of the entire list of nominees, other than the few films I saw last year (and I really saw very few films last year)...

The only films I'm interested in seeing are Slumdog Millionaire and Milk.

Both winners in the writing categories.  Which I didn't realize until I was half-way through writing this post.

I can't say the Oscarcast itself interested me in these films.  In fact, the broadcast did nothing to whet my appetite for any films at all.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »

Not having seen SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE yet, I can't really comment on the Best Song debate, other than to say I certainly liked the one that won better of the two from that film that were nominated.  It just so happened that I was listening to my handy dandy new XM radio in the car yesterday and they were playing both songs, so that was my introduction to them, and I instantly liked the winning one, while the other one kind of left me cold.  All of that said, I love the WALL-E song, with that lovely little Lydian accompaniment and one of Gabriel's better lyrics.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »

TNT - THE CLOSER (season finale)

Really?

It seems like there have only been about 8 episodes.      :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up