Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A RHYMING FOOL  (Read 27311 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: A RHYMING FOOL
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »

I am pretty sure our leak is due to enormous moss buildup on the west side (isn't that "wrong," mossically speaking?) and the chimney guys have graciously agreed to sweep off all the moss for a little under the table bribe.  :)

Singing:  Get the moss off, step in time!
               Listen to the Kauff guy, step in time!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »

I am pretty sure our leak is due to enormous moss buildup on the west side (isn't that "wrong," mossically speaking?) and the chimney guys have graciously agreed to sweep off all the moss for a little under the table bribe.  :)

der Brucer

Calling DR FJL!  Calling DR FJL!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »

I guess my torch has been passed.

Honey, your torch was PAST a long time ago.

;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

I ampleased to annouce that I once again have a working pc.  It involved Vixdad having to get and install a new hard drive but we are running and I  am so happy!

I am alsso please to announce that when I saw my radiologist this morning he said I was making very good progress.  My voice is starting to come back a little and he is sending me to a speech and swallowing therapist to teach me how to eat and talk again.

Very Good News, Vixmom...on both fronts!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »

JOB VIBES FOR DR MBARNUM, DR GEORGE & EVERYONE ELSE WHO NEEDS THEM!

Thanks!  And DITTO For Everyone Else who Needs Them!!

We have a site on our library Intranet where emplyees can make suggestions for reducing the budget, and someone who worked here in 1985 (when we had the last financial crisis) posted a message saying that we had to cut approx. $600,000 from the budget back then.  She found an on-line Inflation Calculator and $600,000 in 1985 has the same buying power as $1,177,377.32 today!  And back then, we had to cut 30% of our staff!!  This time, we have to cut $2.5 million!!  However, I don't know what our annual budget and staffing levels were in 1985, compared to today's numbers. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »

I guess my torch has been passed.

Honey, your torch was PAST a long time ago.

;)

And here I was thinking it was a euphemism.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »

JOB VIBES FOR DR MBARNUM, DR GEORGE AND DR KERRY

Thanks!  Fortunately, I'm not destitute...yet. ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »

BTW, the CW renewed some of their shows for next year:

Smallville, Supernatural, Gossip Girl, 90210, ANTM.

I am crossing my fingers for Privileged.

Thanks for the info. However, if PRIVILEGED didn't get renewed with this bunch, its chances now will be pretty slim, so don't get your hopes up.

It was Ausiello who reported all this. And he seems to think there is still a chance that they will renew Privileged. Or at least those involved said there is still a chance.

Yes, they all think that. Brooke Shields still thinks LIPSTICK JUNGLE has a chance for renewal.

What it will depend on is the CW's show development. If they come up with some pilots that look promising, then PRIVILEGE is a goner. If their development season is weak and the pilots less than good, they may pick it up for lack of anything better. But its ratings have been very poor.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »

der Brucer

Calling DR FJL!  Calling DR FJL!!!

Editorial rewrites are appreciated.

der Brucer

George

« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

To BK, re how a title can be shipped that has nothing to do with the title ordered:

Many times, the titles have nothing to do with how the orders are filled.  Instead, an order number is used by the warehouse. 

If a couple of numbers get transposed, it is easy for someone working in the warehouse to fill an order with the wrong item.  Easy peasey.

Of course, it would help if the warehousemen were to cross-check the number with the title being ordered.  And easy peasey.  But that would require someone at the warehouse level taking the time to care about what they are doing.  Sorry, I don't work at every store, nor at every warehouse.  This wouldn't have happened on my shift.

I hope you get the title you originally ordered, without too much fuss.  At least you're getting a freebie, which is a good thing... I hope.

This happened to my sister's boyfriend, several years ago.  He had ordered a DVD from Amazon.co.uk, they sent the wrong thing, he e-mailed and was told to keep what he got.  It was a lot cheaper for Amazon.co.uk to just send another DVD than to pay for the wrong one to be shipped back AND the new one to be shipped out again. 

It also happens here at the library.  My job is to deal with these kinds of issues.  Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  We'll get four copies of the title that we ordered and one copy of something completely different.  I found that sometimes it's a lot easier to just keep what we get and reorder only if we really need the extra copy of the original title.  And sometimes, the "wrong" copy costs more than the original title that we wanted. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »

I saw REVOLUTIONARY ROAD and thought it was very dark, but I did enjoy the performances.  Then i saw THE READER which made REVOLUTIONARY ROAD look like ENCHANTED.....

DR JRand - Did you just see those movies?  -I thought you hadn't seen "Revolutionary Road" yet? -At least not before this past Sunday's Oscars.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »

Here it is Wednesday already.

I received by Olivier RICHARD III Criterion DVD in the mail today, along with the Collector's Edition of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and two sets of Drive In Movies on DVD.  I also purchased for $5, Oliver Stone's final final FINAL cut of Alexander running 3 1/2 hours....it is NOT the Theatrical version OR the Director's Cut...but a third go around by the director....and his promised FINAL pass at the story.....

I bought that on Blu-ray (I was a fan of the original theatrical release so I figured this superlong edition would have that and everything else he filmed). I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

I enjoyed last night's LEVERAGE which I watched while I ate lunch. Not a bad season finale, but I hope the next season will stay away from Nate's alcoholic demons and concentrate on cases. I also like it when everyone is working together and not at each other's throats.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »

DR JRand - In response to some of your other Mac inquiries:

For BitTorrent downloads - Have your tried Transmission or uTorrent?  -Those were recommended by my Mac Genius/Twitter friends. ;)  *I'm not sure if those clients will work on/with your Mac OS. -And uTorrent for Mac is in Beta - but works very well, apparently.

As for tabbed browsing in Firefox - Yes, you should still be able to take advantage of tabbed browsing in Firefox (running on an iMac).  You mentioned that you closed one window, but then another one came back up when you clicked on the Firefox icon - I think.  In any case.. For tabbed browsing, you have to have an active window open on your desktop, then just hit "Apple+T" to open a new tab.  Now if you want to open a new Firefox window, then hit "Apple+N".  The keyboard shortcuts should be displayed in the drop-down menus from the File Menu.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:32:33 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »

Hey Cilla!  I am glad court went so well.  I was remiss in not sending TRAVEL VIBES earlier

here are some for your  return trip!

~~TRAVEL VIBES FOR OUR LEGAL EAGLE CILLALIZ~~~~

Thanks Vixmom, but I'm actually waiting to leave to go to New Orleans.  I'm in Nebraska where I went to court in Omaha and then to the airport.   But I'll take any and all vibes.  At least the weather looks good today. They may have an ice storm here tomorrow

~~~Continued Travel and Good Travelling Weather Vibes for DR Cillaliz!!~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »

I spent most of the afternoon with DODES'KA-DEN by Akira Kurosawa. Very different from most of his films that I've seen since there really isn't a single strong central story but rather a slice of life in a Shantytown with at least a half dozen stories. Usually I don't find this kind of storytelling that satisfying since you don't get to know anyone really well but have to make do with bits and pieces of all of their lives, but damn if I didn't get sucked into the stories and ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

Admittedly, some of the stories are stronger and much more interesting than others (there are two village drunks whose story really irritated me; I didn't find them endearing or funny though I'm sure they were meant to be amusing.) Others were much more absorbing, but I still wanted to know more about the man "with dead eyes" and the pitiful young girl impregnanted by her uncle.

The transfer is, as you can imagine, quite beautiful.

George

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »

I am waiting for the local real estate lady to take me to lunch. I wonder if she is going to try to talk me into selling my house. I hope not. She'll be wasting her time.

I think I posted this before, but according to www.zillow.com, they estimate that the value of my condo is about $15,000 LESS than what I paid for it, just about two and a half years ago! :P

Not that I ever plan to move...because I don't...EVER! :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:06:57 PM by George »

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

There were only two bonus features on the disc: a trailer and a fragment of the documentary on Kurosawa dealing with his 1965-1970 "dark years." I enjoyed the featurette; I didn't remember he had been dismissed from TORA! TORA! TORA!

Laura

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

Such a lovely lunch. She took me to a five-star restaurant at a five-star resort. You know what that means: I'm still hungry.

She told me that she just listed my mother's house for sale. She sold it almost five years ago when mom passed away. I guess she didn't want me to see a For Sale sign.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2009, 01:44:52 PM »

I think I posted this before, by according to www.zillow.com, they estimate that the value of my condo is about $15,000 LESS than what I paid for it, just about two and a half years ago! :P

My house is worth more than we paid for it. But then we bought it in 1980.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »

Well, Steve is out and about taking care of some shopping, and I shall be joining him shortly.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »

I find it difficult to image in today’s market a real estate person courting a potential seller, buyer yes, not a seller. 

Not necessarily - in some areas there are still shortages of real estate in some price ranges. Also, real estate folks like to find listings of homes that have been owner-occupied for many years - these sellers can readily accept the reality of lower prices because they wouuld still get much more than they paid. If the Jones bought a house in 1979 for $40,000 and can today sell it for $150,000 - they feel fortunate (it doesn't matter that they could have sold it two years ago for $250,000). My son-in-law just finished working on my ex's house in California - in was on the market for six weeks and sold for nearly $600,000 - to a pre-qualified buyer. Never mind that the estate appraisal for the house was $750,000 and it needed over $50,000 worth of work to ready it for market. I bought the house in 1971 for $30,000.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »

I got my work project in the mail today that will cover the next two days: Season 12 of SOUTH PARK. I didn't see any of these episodes when they aired, so this will be fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:37 PM »

I'm jumping off-line now to do some writing.

WBBL.

Laura

« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »

As we drove through the nice part of town, we saw LOTS of For Sale signs. Not so many here in the 'hood, where I live.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »

Some thoughts from the President’s speech:

The Elephant in the Room: Immigration and un-documented aliens.

The anomaly: If a one Trillion dollar stimulus package will save/create 3-5 million jobs, won’t a one Trillion dollar set of projected budget savings cost us those same number of jobs?

All these nasty “earmarks” and “pork” projects represent jobs!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »

Note to Barnum:

Since times are tough in Oregon, you could take time to come to Rehoboth Beach and help us spend our millions of Stimulus dollars re-building the boardwalk.

der Brucer

George

« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ is on her way to The Big Easy.

She's going to DAW's house?

ROTFLMAO!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »

Such a lovely lunch. She took me to a five-star restaurant at a five-star resort. You know what that means: I'm still hungry.

She told me that she just listed my mother's house for sale. She sold it almost five years ago when mom passed away. I guess she didn't want me to see a For Sale sign.

That was very nice of her.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

As we drove through the nice part of town, we saw LOTS of For Sale signs. Not so many here in the 'hood, where I live.

That explains a portion of what DB said.  Everything I've heard is the market is down out your way.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up