Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG  (Read 58187 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE SINGER, NOT THE SONG
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:36 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I shall now take a pill.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DAW

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »

***FEEL BETTER BRICKBATS***
to DR JRand58!!!!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2009, 07:18:37 AM »

Good Morning Elmore!  Are you all recovered from your ordeal yesterday?

Hello, DR vixmom! You know, the ordeal was Monday's prep for the test, and yesterday was a piece of cake. I worried about internal bleeding and all that sort of nonsense but I feel good, my body appears to be functioning normally, which will surprise all my critics, and I even got rid of my last Christmas gift yesterday, which I'd been waiting to hand over since Dec. 29!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:22:39 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »

Another commercial message:
 ;D

For those of you who prefer paperless books, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD:From the Secret Files of Harry Pennypacker is now available from Amazon on Kindle.

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »

And now it's time to pack my carry-on...

Laters...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Safe Travel Vibes for Our DR JoseS! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember: you're going down there a trampy pianist and coming back a slutty musical director!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I shall now take a pill.

I was going to offer you just that advice!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

Good Morning Elmore!  Are you all recovered from your ordeal yesterday?

Hello, DR vixmom! You know, the ordeal was Monday's prep for the test, and yesterday was a piece of cake. I worried about internal bleeding and all that sort of nonsense but I feel good, my body appears to be functioning normally, which will surprise all my critics, and I even got rid of my last Christmas gift yesterday, which I'd been waiting to hand over since Dec. 29!

Good news! SInce I was remembering your medical history I was concerned that the test would "open old wounds" as it were!   I am glad to hear my worries were in vain!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »

I also have to say I am also enjoying the notes. It is nice to go down memory lane. I remember attending the recording session of Jeepers Creepers and was looking forward to meeting Ms Loudon and was disappointed she was unable to attend the session. I had no idea she was not well and was sad when she passed away. I always felt she deserved to be better know outside the broadway melieu.

I had the good fortune to see her several times on Broadway and she was a joy to watch.

She was actually better known earlier in her career after she replaced Carol Burnett as the regular female comedienne/singer on THE GARRY MOORE SHOW. She had an audience of many millions who knew who she was. It was after that show ended that she became better known as a Broadway Baby with only occasional appearances on television.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DAW

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:30 AM »

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD:From the Secret Files of Harry Pennypacker is now available from Amazon on Kindle.

:D

Which I would purchase, if I didn't already own the real thing!

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »

I've had three cell phones, and I've never misplaced any of them. The second one began to malfunction, however, zapping all power from the battery in about 20 minutes of continual talking. That's why I ended up getting the third one I presently have.

I, too, seldom use the phone and often forget to even take it with me when I leave the house.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »

Good morning!

Another day with late spring temperatures in the high 70s. But the chill begins to set in tomorrow and by the weekend, we'll be back to highs in the 40s!

DAW

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2009, 07:35:42 AM »

I, too, seldom use the phone and often forget to even take it with me when I leave the house.

Me, too.  But I'm sure glad I had mine at the time of my recent car accident.  Without it, who knows how long it might have taken to get the police to the scene?

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »

Today my work project will be BOLT on Blu-ray, the third dog-focused Disney feature I've reviewed in the past two months.

Hey, I love dogs as much as anyone, but whatever happened to the days of THAT DARN CAT and THE THREE LIVES OF THOMISINA? :)

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:18 AM »

Me, too.  But I'm sure glad I had mine at the time of my recent car accident.  Without it, who knows how long it might have taken to get the police to the scene?

That's the very reason I have one in the first place: for emergencies when I'm away from home. You'll NEVER see me walking around with a cellphone glued to the side of my face.

DAW

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:25 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »

Today I will finally get to see Monday night's HEROES as I eat lunch. BOLT doesn't appear to have a huge number of bonus features (certainly plenty but likely not to the extent that PINOCCHIO had a few days ago.) That means I may be able to watch something for fun tonight before prime time TV begins for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

NBC - CHOPPING BLOCK (premiere), LIFE, LAW & ORDER
CBS - comedies, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: NY
FOX - LIE TO ME, AMERICAN IDOL results (new 9 p.m. timeslot)
ABC - LIFE ON MARS
CW  - AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL
FX   - DAMAGES
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:48:45 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

As you see from the above listing, LOST is a rerun this week of last week's amazing "LeFleur" episode (I assume with squeeges present).

I guess ABC didn't want to subject LOST to AMERICAN IDOL's first elimination round which is on opposite it now.

But I thought the whole reason for making LOST a midseason show was so (like '24') the season could unfold with no reruns and run straight through to the end. I guess I was mistaken.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:30 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, I disagree with you completely about Patrick Jane on THE MENTALIST being an overwritten character. In fact, I'd say Castle is MUCH more overwritten and much more assertively played. Simon Baker's minimalist performance gives the show a hipper, slyer tone than Fillion's gregarious rogue gives CASTLE. True, the characters are VERY different people, but I certainly don't buy your argument about the writing of Jane's character.

Different strokes, I guess.

No question, though, that both men are sex-on-a-stick appealing, at least to me.

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »

I've had three cell phones, and I've never misplaced any of them. The second one began to malfunction, however, zapping all power from the battery in about 20 minutes of continual talking. That's why I ended up getting the third one I presently have.

Until I had this bout of illness I was seldom home. Either I was at the office, or out at a real estate closing, or at the stores or church or girl scouts or  running the Vixter to or from one event or another.  I carry my cellphone all the time and have given it to the school and church and my doctors as my primary contact number.

Vixdad uses his less often but it has been very helpful when there have been issues with the trains and he needed to be collected from a different station than the one where he left his car.

The Vixter uses her phone the least of any of us but we like having that feeling that she can contact us or her grandparents if she needs us when she is out somewhere on her own. 

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »

DR MattH, do you know if IDOL will be on at 9pm from now on? I really hope not. With LIFE, and LOST (and here NIP/TUCK) also on at 9pm it makes it very crowded!

DAW

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »

DR vixmom, do you find that most of DR the vixter's friends have their own cellphones?  I was in a discussion the other day with my sister in law about what the appropriate age might be for a youngster to be given their first cell phone.

All these new things that parents nowadays have to deal with!    :P

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

Until I had this bout of illness I was seldom home. Either I was at the office, or out at a real estate closing, or at the stores or church or girl scouts or  running the Vixter to or from one event or another.  I carry my cellphone all the time and have given it to the school and church and my doctors as my primary contact number.

Vixdad uses his less often but it has been very helpful when there have been issues with the trains and he needed to be collected from a different station than the one where he left his car.

The Vixter uses her phone the least of any of us but we like having that feeling that she can contact us or her grandparents if she needs us when she is out somewhere on her own. 

Completely understandable given your responsibilities and extended family.

I, of course, have no such situations.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2009, 07:51:22 AM »

DR MattH, do you know if IDOL will be on at 9pm from now on? I really hope not. With LIFE, and LOST (and here NIP/TUCK) also on at 9pm it makes it very crowded!

Yes, it is, the last I read, a permanent move for this season's results show.

vixmom

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »

That being said we don't use the phone just to call each other up and blather on about nonsense.  We don't beleive that cell phones were created for casual chatting - but they're great when you are trying to reach one another.  When we go to the ICON each year we tend to go our seperate ways and enjoy different events.  The cell phones enabled us to meet up between events and have meals together.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »

Btw, DR Jose (and anyone else who watches IDOL) obviously at the end of last night's show Simon started to hint at the twist.

I think i know what it is. ANd what simon said sort of confirmed it to me. He said that the judges would be more involved. And there has been speculation that there will be a sing-off (maybe with the bottom 3). And the judges will decide who stays.

I'm  not sure if this is one week only or not.  I guess it is in case the public vote off one of the better ones. I am not sure yet if i like this twist. I guess it depends on who is in the bottom.

DAW

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »

I am also curious about how this proliferation of new reality shows and other television programming affects people in the field.

I am thinking here particularly of food and real-estate related shows.   I can imagine that people who work in restaurants and/or the food business, or in real estate, or even in hospitals or police departments, are now daily confronted with a whole new breed of "difficult" customer who thinks that he/she "knows it all" from watching a few television programs.

Or perhaps it's just more symptomatic of the age of the Internet in general?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:10:37 AM by DAW »

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »

DIALIDOL SPOILERS for american idol

http://www.dialidol.com/asp/predictions/predictions.asp

They are usually quite accurate. Although for the bottom sometimes it's harder for them to predict if a lot are close together.

My favorite by far last night was Adam Lambert. I just love him. It's interesting (but predictable i guess) that danny gokey is #1. I'm happy at least that adam is #2. Not at all surprised Lil is #3. I am a bit surprised to see Alexis as #4. And more surprised to see Anoop as #5. He was not even picked top 3 in his week, he was criticized last night, and he's not even votefortheworst's pick (megan is). Then comes scott who i really like.

For the bottom they have matt, michael, megan, kris, jasmine, allison, and jorge. I can't say that i would really care if any of these went home. Although i think allison is very strong. Kris impressed me a bit last night. I never even knew who he was. I wonder between megan, allison and jorge who the judges would save. They seem to like them all a lot. BUt if the twist (post above) is true then i could see it used to save someone like allison who the judges love, but who maybe is not that popular yet with fans!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »

Ask BK (or anybody else):  with the recent talk about sales figures for ANYA and the like, it got me wondering how OBC LPs did in their heyday?  Bruce, do you have any idea of how many units a hit like My Fair Lady would have sold, and, perhaps more interestingly, a flop like A Family Affair?  I'm just wondering how this kind of product did for the big labels "back in the day."  Certainly there were the stellar performers like MFL or South Pacific, but I wonder if shows like A Time for Singing or Anya sold many more than 500-1,000 LPs to begin with.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »

Yes, it is, the last I read, a permanent move for this season's results show.

Thanks although that totally sucks! They should keep it early so kids can watch before they go to bed.

It's funny but i also watch Damages (but we get it on sundays) and ANTM (i get it on saturdays).

I suppose there will be weeks when LIFE or LOST are repeats!

Is anyone else gonna check out the new show CHOPPING BLOCK? I will try it once since i like cooking shows (top chef, hell's kitchen). BUt it doesn't sound that good from what i know about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up