Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FORGET-ME-NOT LANE  (Read 38647 times)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
Re: FORGET-ME-NOT LANE
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »

Also went throught the cd's and found (from BK's notes of 2 days ago) Dorothy Loudon "The Night of the Hunter", Liz Larsen "Little by Little", Michelle Pawk "The Stephen Schwartz Album", to listen to this weekend.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

DR Michael Barnum, if DC Freddy goes missing again I have another option of places to search.  After you open the article scroll down for the video.

Sam

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2009, 05:26:03 PM »

word of the day:   I am quite feckless (at this stage of my life) in anything that has to do with dusting or cleaning of my living environment.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

for yesterday's word of the day : again not in my 1700 page dictionary.  Mathematicaster, will look up later.

DAW

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

***FEEL BETTER VIBES***
for DR Sam!!!!!

Who is also now our newest Junior Member!!!!!   :D

Sam

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »

I believe the topic of the day is a favorite book..   I just have a story.

I was never much of a reader, when I came to this country I did not speak a word of English.  In those days when you went to school there was no bilingual education. I failed English every year till the 5th grade (and kids can be quite mean, so I just kept to myself). Even though I lived with my sister and her GI husband, I was still a German. 

Then I moved to California, and no one even asked where I was from.  I become like everyone else.
Blended and generic.

Along comes my then boyfriend's older brother and his college friends, (one of which I would marry 20 years later) and at a party one night they asked what do you read, I said I don't.   Before I left that night to go home, I had a armfull of paperback books, and was told I could not come back till I read them all.
I did read them all, and still keep in contact with most of the guys and their families.

Sam

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »

thank you DAW

DAW

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »

Hmmmm...

It seems The Sondheim Review suddenly has their e-blast working again.     :-\

Sam

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »

two of the books from those friends were:

Catch 22     (from elmore3003's post)

Atlas Shrugged  (from JRand58's post)

the above two might have been years later, but I never forgot that party.

Laura

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Sycamore Creek:

A golden-headed scallop wing:

A variable checkerspot:

A bordered patch:

A fiery skipper:

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

DR Michael Barnum, if DC Freddy goes missing again I have another option of places to search.  After you open the article scroll down for the video.

LOL! I saw that on the news!

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »

Time for to eat some dinner...bought me some fried chicken at Wal-mart.

Sam

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »

Went to see my hairdresser this morning (also my neighbor), he always seems to schedule as many people as he possibly can into the same few hours.  Some of his clients have been going to him for 40 years.  He was with Rene Russo when she was discovered as a model, walking in Hollywood (true story).
And Mr. Blackwell listed him as one of the hairdressers to the stars.  It's always great fun to be there.

I don't quite seem to fit in, he just took me under his wings. 

Sam

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »

Must now read yesterday's posts. I'm still a day behind.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2009, 06:08:17 PM »

Whilst eating my southern food I shall continue watching my south Indian film (Tollywood) ADAVI RAMUDU. It is in Telugu. Telugu films are just so silly and over the top...but the musical numbers rock!

Jane

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:21 PM »

DR Sam I found your story very interesting & think it is great you were given a stack of books to read.  I also find it interesting & sweet you moved here with your sister & her husband.

Feel better soon.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

My father read ARROWSMITH & decided to be a physician.  That was truly a life changing book.

For me countless books have exposed me to new ideas or changed me in subtle ways.

I suppose if I must name a single book it would be LE MISERABLE.  I was 14 when first I learned Jean Valjean was thrown into prison for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving family.  From that moment on I barely put the book down until I had finished reading it.  I'm sure prior to this I had been aware of injustices in the world, after all I knew people who had been in concentration camps.  Granted I had not yet discovered Dickens, however I wasn't reading children's books either.   Suddenly I developed a new depth of understanding & awareness of suffering outside of my own world.

Sam

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

Dear Jane,   I came here with my father( who was in his 20's and had plans other than taking care of a 5 year old), who dropped me off at my sisters (same mother different father) in St. Louis. I still don't know exactly why I ended up in America, other than I was sponsored by someone I did not meet till I came to California in 1965.  In 1965 my father picked me up at my sisters, then picked up my mother at the airport (who I had not seen in all those years) and the 3 of us came to LA.  She stayed 2 weeks and went back to Berlin.

I know every family has issues they do not talk about, my family does not tell the truth about anything, quit asking a long time ago.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:58:29 PM by Sam »

Sam

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »

from yesterday's posts (now that I am caught up)

Dear George:  I love the word anal retentive, use it when ever I can.

Dear MBarnum:  Yes I do think that I love it here.

Dear Vixmom:   I'm glad that you talk about what is happening with your health, it makes it easier to go through.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »

DR Sam which was more difficult, being dropped off at your sister's or taken away from her?

My family was filled with secrets, mostly to hide the fact my mother was an alcoholic.  There were other secrets our parents told us separately, most of which we would have preferred not to know.  Gradually my brother & I discovered we had been keeping many of the same secrets-lol.  We opened up to them after our father & sister passed away.  I tell you it was a big relief even though some of them were painful.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

We love having you here. :)

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »

DR Sam, what high school did you go to?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Since the rain continued to hold off, I went ahead and decided to head back to downtown Charleston to some more exploring.  I managed to find a place to park on King Street, and then I walked... And walked... And walked... -And that's how I found out that downtown Charleston's "grid" is not a true grid, not square.  I didn't get lost or lost track of where I was, I just didn't expect some of the blocks to "get" so long once you depending upon which part of town you were in.  But I had a nice walk.

I did stop into the Charleston Candy Kitchen, which, alas, wasn't anything too special.  It's part of line of "Candy Kitchens".  However, they do - and were - making taffy, fudge and pralines on the premises.  That part was OK.  It was the giant barrels filled with Dubble-Bubble, Hershey Kisses and Jolly Ranchers that lent an air on inauthenticity to the place.

I also came a cross a neat little gelato place.  Well, I original saw three sailors in their dress whites sitting in the place... Then I realized it was a gelateria. ;)  That was near the campus of the College of Charleston which is centered around a great old Georgian style building.  I'll definitely have to head back there on a sunny day to take lots and lots of pictures.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

*There was a Banana Republic downtown, but since it was close to closing time - and since I had forgotten to put the "Friends & Family" coupon in my bag, well...  I'll check out the other location tomorrow afternoon at the Towne Centre.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »

from yesterday's posts (now that I am caught up)

Dear George:  I love the word anal retentive, use it when ever I can.

Dear Vixmom:   I'm glad that you talk about what is happening with your health, it makes it easier to go through.

You know, DR Sam - You could have broken that post up into three posts.  -Which would have helped save us all from the wrath of bk's Bitch-Slap-O-Matic.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

I believe the topic of the day is a favorite book..   I just have a story.

I was never much of a reader, when I came to this country I did not speak a word of English.  In those days when you went to school there was no bilingual education. I failed English every year till the 5th grade (and kids can be quite mean, so I just kept to myself). Even though I lived with my sister and her GI husband, I was still a German. 

Then I moved to California, and no one even asked where I was from.  I become like everyone else.
Blended and generic.

Along comes my then boyfriend's older brother and his college friends, (one of which I would marry 20 years later) and at a party one night they asked what do you read, I said I don't.   Before I left that night to go home, I had a armfull of paperback books, and was told I could not come back till I read them all.
I did read them all, and still keep in contact with most of the guys and their families.

Now that story would make another great book in itself.

*It's just too bad "The Reader" has already been taken as a title.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »

Time for to eat some dinner...bought me some fried chicken at Wal-mart.

Does your Wal-Mart have the Deep-Fried Corn on the Cob?  I remember seeing that a couple of years ago at the Wal-Mart in Winchester, VA.

And, yes, I tried it.

And, yes, it was good.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

Okay, before I get to the sad tale of woe, may I just say I am rather shocked that at seven-fifteen we are on page five?  I don't know what universe people are currently residing in but it's not one I care for and I really would recommend a frenzy or five before everyone WUSSBURGERS or I'm not going to be happy and I'm already not happy and haven't BEEN happy in certain ways since one-twenty this afternoon.  I mean, if no one is around anyway, then the problem I've been having is inconsequential and I shouldn't worry about it and maybe I'll just shut the topic and we'll open it up in the morning, which is, perhaps, when I'll actually be able to get online from home.  Right now, I'm at Panera.  Here's why:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »

After doing the long jog I went directly to the editing room.  I did the handful of fixes, built the main and end titles, and the came home.  I got home at one-twenty.  I was about to go to this here site when I noticed that the cable modem lights were not blinking correctly and I knew that Time Warner was once again down.  I thought for a moment that maybe it had just lost signal, so I did what they always suggest (even thought the Airport/Time Machine was a solid green) - I unplugged the modem's power, waited a minute, then plugged it back in.  It was immediately clear that Time Warner was down, because now not only were the lights blinking erratically, but the Airport/Time Machine was now blinking amber, which means it wasn't getting any signal. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

And speaking of deep-fried...

For one of my side dishes earlier at Melvin's BBQ, I had one(!) of their Golden Onion Rings.  -A full order of five onion rings runs $5.00, but you could get one as a side dish if you ordered a platter.  Well... It turns out one was enough - practically, more than enough.

I had read some reviews, and some people said that the onion rings at Melvin's could almost be dessert. -But then there was no further description of just why an onion ring could possibly qualify as a dessert.  As it turns out, the onion ring was more like an onion fritter, or an onion donut.  One ring of onion is batter(!) coated(!!!!) and then fried.  It really did look like a donut.  In fact, I saw some people using a knife and fork to eat them, and then when I tried to eat mine, I realized that a knife and work was a practical way to eat them.

I truly don't think I could ever eat a full order of five of those things.  And, frankly, the one was OK, but it's definitely not something I'd immediately think of ordering the next time I end up there.  Oh, and the cornbread was also dessert-like too.  They use fine-ground cornmeal, and it's "seasoned" with a generous dash or two or three of sugar.  It was almost sweeter than their sweet tea!  They could have frosted it and served it as a piece of cake.  I know that "sweet" corn bread is a "tradition", but I prefer the more savory version of that tradition.

*But the pulled pork along with their "Golden Mustard" and their "Red" sauces was very, very good.  And since I was at 'Q place, that's all that mattered.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up