Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EMERGENCY NOTES  (Read 44748 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE EMERGENCY NOTES
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »

Alas, DAMAGES had not arrived on HD Showcase yet (damn!), so I watched WEdnesday night's LAW & ORDER. A good case and, of course, an infuriating decision by the jury.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2009, 01:21:59 PM »

It is SO chilly here. I've felt a chill IN MY BONES all afternoon. I guess I could have turned the heat up, but I suppose I will later today. I won't be here tonight, so I hate "wasting" heat if I'm not going to be here to enjoy it.

The "warmth" finally returned to Charleston today.  -Although, I did have to turn on the heat briefly last night just to take the chill out of the air.  Now if the clouds would clear...

If the weather forecast is to be believed, we aren't going to get back to spring until Tuesday though I think this will be the last day of rain.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »

I next watched BOLT on DVD. I tried not to let my remembrance of the Blu-ray version color my opinion of the DVD's sharpness and colors, but it was hard not to compare them in my head (even for a moment).

The nice thing is that the sound on the DVD is Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, so the back surround channel is a very nice addition, and the French and Spanish tracks had it, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »

I concluded my afternoon of viewing with another MOONLIGHT episode from disc 4 in the set. Alas, there are only three episodes left. I remembered it (the one where Joseph has to turn Mick back into a vampire) after things started happening, but I honestly began the episode not remembering how long it was going to be before Mick turned back.

DAW

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »

Sorry, folks.   Don't know why I got the idea that today was St. Patrick's Day.      :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2009, 01:34:27 PM »

OK - I think I'm going to go for a stroll.  I believe a Cheerwine may be in me immediate future.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »

I'm heading down now to get cleaned up for my evening outing.

WBBL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

I am on a Charles Dickens kick.

What are you reading right now?

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »

Sorry, folks.   Don't know why I got the idea that today was St. Patrick's Day.      :-\

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »

Good afternoon!  It's a beautiful day here. I have the windows open a little. The cats love that.
Today I went shopping, since none of my clothes fit me, and was shocked to see what I can fit in.
I didn't buy much, since I still have 25 pounds to go, but boy, do I look smaller in the right size than in the too big clothes I've been wearing

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »

Time to go for a walk. It's very windy, so I probably won't go far but it's also 58 degrees!  Worth taking a walk

Jane

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

DR Cilla, congrats on the newer clothes.  Have fun wearing them before you shrink some more ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »

Good afternoon!  It's a beautiful day here. I have the windows open a little. The cats love that.
Today I went shopping, since none of my clothes fit me, and was shocked to see what I can fit in.
I didn't buy much, since I still have 25 pounds to go, but boy, do I look smaller in the right size than in the too big clothes I've been wearing

It really is amazing just how much better and "smaller" you can look in the proper fitting clothes.  In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to buy a pair of new jeans today - besides taking advantage of the special discount and gift card - was because I needed a better-fitting, smaller pair of jeans too.  It's nice being (back) in that range of waist sizes where they are sized by the inch instead of every two-inches. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »

Alas, during my walk, I was not able to procure myself a bottle nor a can of Cheerwine.  The local gas station/convenience store only carries Pepsi products, so... Ah, well... -I still have a 12-pack of Diet Cheerwine back at the apartment. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »

OK... Time to get ready for tonight's rehearsal.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

It is so warm here today. So nice!  The snow is slowly melting. But there is still quite a bit. It was really high. There were even some people on bikes. The bike paths are clear. And the streets seem clear. But with so much snow, i just wonder if i would hit patches of ice.

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »

I have to decide what to watch now. I am a bit backed up and still have last week's LIFE and a few others to watch.

Looking forward to TAR! Love that show.

Michael

« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

BK:

Joe Capps mentioned you today in response to a mini review of An American In Paris on BD by Robert Harris

Bob, over at Haineshisway.com, Bruce Kimmel constantly complains about Warners transfers of classics without any blue in them. True, American has never been as razor sharp as here (I bought the SD several months ago), But all of the blue seems to be gone from the trasnfer, same with the redone Gigi.

Any omment here, Mr. Harris ?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »

and this was his response

Whatever blue was in the original negatives appears to have been harvested in this scan. I don't know what the SD looks like. Please keep in mind that Technicolor dye transfer re-prints, as opposed to the original nitrates had a rather different look, with heightened color and contrast. Much like comparing silver frame prints of The Ten Commandments from 1956 to those from the late '60s and early '70s. A totally different animal.

Gigi is another story, as the OCN is faded 5248, and additionally problem masters. In order to achieve decent facial tones, yellow must be added, which can do heavy damage to anything blue.

To my eye AAiP looks fine, however.

RAH
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »

and this was his response

Whatever blue was in the original negatives appears to have been harvested in this scan. I don't know what the SD looks like. Please keep in mind that Technicolor dye transfer re-prints, as opposed to the original nitrates had a rather different look, with heightened color and contrast. Much like comparing silver frame prints of The Ten Commandments from 1956 to those from the late '60s and early '70s. A totally different animal.

Gigi is another story, as the OCN is faded 5248, and additionally problem masters. In order to achieve decent facial tones, yellow must be added, which can do heavy damage to anything blue.

To my eye AAiP looks fine, however.

RAH

Yes, the Warners line gets towed.  Sorry, American In Paris looks awful, color-wise - no one can tell me otherwise because I've seen and owned too many IB Tech prints to be told otherwise.  As to Gigi, please explain why the previous DVD had better color than the current.  But those there will believe what they're told and Warners will keep screwing up the color on their classics and fewer and fewer people will care because they believe the Warners line.   "I don't know what the SD looks like."  Oh? 

Jane

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »

DR Jose, congrats on the smaller pant size :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »

I was trying to watch a movie but kept falling asleep.  I delivered the Illya Darling material, got a Subway sandwich, and ate it all up.  Had a note from my mastering guy - there are a couple of tape issues with the tape that was in the water damaged box - they wouldn't be issues at all if the original LP had been decently mixed, but there's no low-end, it's shrill and in trying to fix those problems it brings out a little damage noise.  It's only on certain tracks - he's sending me the worst of it and his solutions to deal with it and I'll see how I feel.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

From Danise:

I am still out of my house.  Tuesday makes 9 weeks and count.

I have turned him into every agency I can think of.  I'm told it's just a matter of time before someone helps me but how long that is going to take is beyond me.

I haven't heard back from channel 28 since I got that phone call.  I've called back several time but can't seem to reach anyone.  Sigh.

HOME VIBES FOR DR DANISE & DD SHEENA!

Jane

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »

It has been raining since last night.  I know we need the rain so I will wait until tomorrow to complain if it continues.  We stayed home & gave Sherlock a shower, now I'm doing laundry.

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »

I am on a Charles Dickens kick.

What are you reading right now?

I have three chapters remaining in Dan Simmons' DROOD, which I heartily recommend!
Tomorrow's mail should see the arrival of THE D CASE by Carlo Fruttero and Franco Lucentini, another speculative fiction centering around Dickens' unfinished novel.
I'm looking for a good biography of Dickens.  Any suggestions?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ HOME VIBES FOR DR DANISE~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »

Just heard what was described as the worst of the handful of tracks from the problem tape - and with his EQ it sounds pretty great to me, so we're fine.  He did two versions, one without quite so wide a stereo field as the original - that one minimizes any problems (which I don't hear anyway), but I prefer the wider stereo field, frankly.

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »

Many, many vibes for DR Danise. That poor gal.

Laura

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

Poor Danise. I guess she didn't say if he is doing any work at all, did she?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up