Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: START AT THE TOP  (Read 60122 times)

Jennifer

Re: START AT THE TOP
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »

I guess all libraries are different. At my sister's library everything is online. You can put books on hold, reserve books and renew them all online.

At my library the catalog is online. But you can't do any of those things online. Although when you take out books the books you have reserved show up at the bottom and you can see how many people are ahead of you. So if you know you are next for a book you can go online and if that book is on hold then it's obviously for you (they do call though).

Showing the books you have reseved and your ranking is very helpful (my sister's library doesn't do this).

The only thing i wish my library did was keep a list of books you have requested. I wish that was on my paper. Even if you request a book and it's in processing it does not appearn on your record (although you can go online and see which books are in processing).

It ends up being sort of weird because i request a lot of books, and yet they are not in my queue but the library will call and i sometimes have a bunch of books waiting that i did not even know were coming!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I feel fizzy and funny and fine!    :D

We'll try not to drop you in a glass of water.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »

Getting ready for DWTS!!

Have you picked any favorites yet? Usually we completely disagree!

DAW

« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »

I share DR elmore3003's ire at the "new and improved" Facebook.  It's been telling me for over three hours to try again later anytime I try to post.  And I get notified of messages via email that I can't find anywhere on the site.  Total madness!    >:(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »

I share DR elmore3003's ire at the "new and improved" Facebook.  It's been telling me for over three hours to try again later anytime I try to post.  And I get notified of messages via email that I can't find anywhere on the site.  Total madness!    >:(

That's the first sensible thing you've posted in years! :D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »

I think you've been poking too many people.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »

I have had an interesting day.  And it all started with a local newspaper story a few weeks ago.

In that story, one of the neighboring stores in our chain publicized a "Healthy Ideas" program that the chain has started.  The story ran across three columns in a tabloid-sized paper, with pictures.  The only problem was that the way the story was written, it sounded like they were the only store in the chain that had the "Healthy Ideas" program.

So Mike, our store manager, got to thinking that we should get our store's name out there more, somehow.  He wasn't sure how.  Publicity is not one of his strong points - it's discouraged by upper management. 

Our grocery manager got ahold of some grade schools, in a deal to give them coloring books.

Meanwhile, I suggested that we take a look at what our local Rehoboth Beach Main Street is up to.  (RBMS recently won an award as one of the top five Main Street organizations nationally - cool, huh?)  And Mike suggested that I do just that.  And that's when I found out about the upcoming Joan Rivers concert, which of course is looking for sponsors.  And I printed up everything from that website for him to peruse, and he said fine, we could afford a smallish sponsorship, and could I pursue it for him.

Which I did.  The net result is that he and his lovely wife will be attending the concert, where he will be making contact with other businesspeople locally, hopefully making good business contacts.  And we'll have an ad in the program.  And we've also donated a couple of gift cards as door prizes.

Which is why I had to head in to town today - to make sure the organization sponsoring this event got the check and the gift cards.  They were thrilled, of course, since they weren't expecting us before we made contact, and it wasn't until I showed up today that they really knew that we really meant it.

This, plus my writing a short press release about the store's tenth anniversary party this upcoming Friday ("Hey, great, Stephen, can you do that?"  Well, of course I can do that!), kinda sorta makes me the publicity person on the store staff.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »

Anyway, as long as I was in town, I decided to explore a bit.

Rehoboth Beach in March is not a pretty sight.  Too many of the business that close for the winter have not opened up yet.  And then there's the places that have closed and won't be open again.  That's depressing.

There was the sushi joint near the Boardwalk that der B and I had thought of going in but never got around to, all the signage is gone.

A really nice restaurant called Fusion is gone, being replaced by a seafood place sometime in April.  Der B and I enjoyed a few good meals there, but those days are over.

And there was the local gourmet store, Beautiful Foods, which was bought by a couple of gals who are more into healty eating.  They've renamed the place Nurture, and while they weren't open today I got a look in through their windows.  Two thirds of the stock is gone, the grocery stuff that you can't find at the supermarkets (including our own).  They still have the great cheeses, and stuff like that, but I have to wonder what I'll find when I can go and they're actually open.

And so it goes.

Cillaliz

« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »

Getting ready for DWTS!!

Have you picked any favorites yet? Usually we completely disagree!

I'm definitely cheering for Shawn Johnson, as is the rest of Iowa, not sure who else yet.  HyVee, a regional grocery store chain, is giving away 2 tickets to the DWTS finals.  I'll go register. Don't think I have a real chance, but if I do win, I'll take mom, that would be a real hoot!

Cillaliz

« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »

And I get notified of messages via email that I can't find anywhere on the site.  Total madness!    >:(

That's the part that is driving me crazy....where do they go?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Back to the store on the way home.  We've a great sale on corned beef brisket going on, not to mention the chicken I've got roasting in the oven right now. 

Which should make up for there being nothing that I want to watch on the tube tonight other than Castle.

And that is the end of the news.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »

So no one liked Tom Snyder and the Tomorrow Show?  He wasn't my favorite but I did like to watch him

Johnny Carson was my all time favorite

I mentioned my appreciation of Tom Snyder. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »

So no one liked Tom Snyder and the Tomorrow Show?  He wasn't my favorite but I did like to watch him

;)

Never mind..I must have missed that....sorry George  :-[

George

« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »

;)

Never mind..I must have missed that....sorry George  :-[

No problem. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »

The news media does not seem to be interested in DR Danise's situation.

DAW

« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »

kinda sorta makes me the publicity person on the store staff.

And does that title come with a pay raise?    ;)

DAW

« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

:(

Laura

« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »

Is he working on the house at all?

td

• td
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Many More House Vibes to DR Danise ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

George

« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

Talk about chinchy bassas. :P

Jane

« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »

Is he working on the house at all?

I don't know.   If he is I home it is done properly this time.

George

« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »

I guess all libraries are different. At my sister's library everything is online. You can put books on hold, reserve books and renew them all online.

At my library the catalog is online. But you can't do any of those things online. Although when you take out books the books you have reserved show up at the bottom and you can see how many people are ahead of you. So if you know you are next for a book you can go online and if that book is on hold then it's obviously for you (they do call though).

Showing the books you have reseved and your ranking is very helpful (my sister's library doesn't do this).

The only thing i wish my library did was keep a list of books you have requested. I wish that was on my paper. Even if you request a book and it's in processing it does not appearn on your record (although you can go online and see which books are in processing).

It ends up being sort of weird because i request a lot of books, and yet they are not in my queue but the library will call and i sometimes have a bunch of books waiting that i did not even know were coming!

I guess we're lucky.  Even if I didn't work for the library, we can place holds, see how many holds are on a title (but not who they are, of course ;)), view our personal holds lists, renew checked out items that don't have holds, request that new items be purchased (no guarantees that they'll actually be purchased, though) and request items for Interlibrary Loan.  AND we can do all of that on-line.

We can even "suspend" our holds...meaning, if I place a hold on an item, but I'm going out of town (for instance), and I know that I'm very close to getting the next copy, I can suspend the hold and the next copy will go to the next person in line.  I'll still be at the number one spot in the list, but when I'm ready, I unsuspend my hold and then get the next copy.  That way if someone doesn't want an item, it can be checked out by someone else, but I won't lose my place in line. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:20:06 PM by George »

Laura

« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »

He truly is a chincy bassa.

Cillaliz

« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »

He's a rea chincy bassa!

td

• td
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

I don't know if I'll ever be the same - I've just seen the French & Saunders spoof of MAMMA MIA!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »

kinda sorta makes me the publicity person on the store staff.

And does that title come with a pay raise?    ;)

No, just lots of hugs and kisses.

(This is Rehoboth Beach, after all!   ;D)

Jane

« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »

Ashland's Carnegie library.

I don't know if I can suspend a hold.  I like that.

Jane

« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »

I see a place to check for suspend & reactivate holds.  I won't tempt it right now.  I did add Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet.  I'm 24 of 24 hold so I have plenty of time to test the suspend/reactivate button & see what happens. 

George

« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »

I don't know if I'll ever be the same - I've just seen the French & Saunders spoof of MAMMA MIA!

I saw that too!  I loved it! ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

I keep smelling smoke. I hope if there's a building on fire, it's not mine.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up