Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COMEDY OF ERRORS  (Read 54736 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE COMEDY OF ERRORS
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »

Happy St Patrick's Day to you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DAW

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2009, 06:09:04 AM »

Hmmm... I wonder if DR JoseSPiano has seen this:

DAW

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:50 AM »

As a youngster on this day, I always wondered why Erin needed to go get a bra.    ???

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm waiting for the cable guy. *Sounds like the set up for one of DR elmore's "art films".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 06:12:40 AM »

DR DAW - I have seen that! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

DR JRand - I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your Aunt Mildred. I hope there will be some smiles and laughs among the tears today.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »

Hmmm... I wonder if DR JoseSPiano has seen this:

I believe I gave him a copy of it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:05 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm waiting for the cable guy. *Sounds like the set up for one of DR elmore's "art films".

short art films.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:46 AM »

That blasted Steve Suskin book is cramping my sleeping time! I am finding it quite difficult to put it down to accomplish anything.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »

More TOD:

WHile a theater student in college, our department was saddled for two years in a row with a woman who loved to do high-concept Shakespeare.  The first was actually not a bad idea--A MIDSUMMERS NIGHT DREAM set among the 1930's swanky cocktail set, with the forrest action taking place uptown in Harlem.  I got to play Bottom who, along with the other mechanicals, were sort of Dead End Kids types.  It would have been a cute production, except that most of the cast members who the director recruited to play the faeries really had no idea of what 30's Harlem was all about.  Only Puck and Titania understood the concept.  The best the director maanged to do was to get them to "vogue" throughout the evening.  But in the end, the audiences seemed to like it.

The following year was a disaster--JULIUS CAESAR set on Wall Street.  Again, a cute idea but the director didn't know where to stop.  She changed the text of the play to suit the time and place (along with tearing out whole scenes on a whim during our first read through, only to re-instate them later in the rehearsal period when she realized that the plot no longer made any sense.)  In the end, the show looked more like a high school production of HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING instead of JULIUS CAESAR.  Audiences pretended to like it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:33:56 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26:38 AM »

That blasted Steve Suskin book is cramping my sleeping time! I am finding it quite difficult to put it down to accomplish anything.

I was going to order it from Amazon until I read "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months"!!! 

I didn't realize it was such a popular subject!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2009, 06:31:15 AM »

TOD:

I've written about it here before, but it was a production of The Scottish Play at the Stratford [CT] Shakespeare Festival that I saw when I was in middle school.  The set was one gigantic sheet, that, with hidden wires and whatnot, was manipulated to create all the settings of the play.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2009, 06:31:40 AM »

DR edisaurus - My condolences to you and your family. It really does sound like your Uncle Bob was much loved.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:25 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I'm about to go help with some last-minute book sale preparations.

Condolences to DRs Edi and JRand on their recent losses. 

I had a "could it be?" moment when I read of the passing of Jack's Aunt Mildred because this past weekend I also lost an elderly relative named Mildred who grew up and spent much of her adult life in the western Indianapolis vicinity.  She and her family moved to Georgia some years ago, though, and the obit link that Jack posted confirmed that they are 2 different people.  My relative was not really an aunt, but my mother's cousin.  My sister and I always called her "Aunt Mim," though. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:24 AM »

I'm up; I've vacuumed.  Now is the time for my three mile walk.

HAPPY ST. PAT'S EVERYONE!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DAW

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »

I forgot to wear green today.  Fortunately, my office workers do not pinch people who are not wearing green, as was the custom in my Elementary School when I was young.    :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »

...while working on The California Endowment.

The California Endowment!  That's the title of my next... well, I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes, whatever it is!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2009, 06:38:41 AM »

After watching it sit in a pile for about a year or so, I finally started reading Blair Tindall's "Mozart in the Jungle". I read almost half of it last night before finally making myself go to bed around 1:30am. I had heard about all the "sex and drugs" in the book, but I'm also finding the history of Arts funding in the US quite fascinating too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »

re: library systems being online.

I agree that it's better if you can do everything online. Our library was supposed to switch over in september. but there was some problem that shut down the whole system. It's still not up, so i guess it was a big problem.

DR Jane, that is crazy that one book has 24 holds. isn't the library just for your town? Even the most popular books here would never have more than 10-15 people on the list. And that would only be if it just came out.

Each little suburb here has its own library. So maybe your town has more people.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:41 AM »

The largest version of McDonalds' Shamrock Shake has 1,110 calories and 26 grams of fat.

A shake to make you quake!

McDonald's is evil.  Just remember that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2009, 06:43:44 AM »

RE: DWTS

I'm still not sure who i'll cheer for.

I think that the best dancer is definitely melissa. And Gilles very close behind.

I do think shawn is the next best. But i don't get why she is not as popular as i thought she would be.

I really hope steve O is okay. I really liked him and lacey.

I think denise was most improved. I thought she did very well last night.

And i don't know why but i love steve wozniak. Maybe it's from watching him on my Life on the D List. But i think he is doing the best that he could do. And what more can we ask. I just love how hard he is trying and he is doing much better than i thought.

I really don't care for belinda or david alan grier. Ty (jewel's husband) did do much better but he is still very stiff. I think julianne's bf chuck has a lot of potential. But he really did nothing last night. I was surprised she would let him do that.

Lil kim was a lot better last night to me than last week. And i think she is one of the better ones (after shawn imo). Lawrence taylor did a lot better also than last week. And i have not warmed up to holly.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »

I would like to say that tonight's MENTALIST is very good.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »

As a youngster on this day, I always wondered why Erin needed to go get a bra.    ???

To go with her Freudian Slip, of course!

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »

Sorry to hear about your Aunt Mildred, DR JRand. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »

Condolences to DR Edi!

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2009, 06:52:52 AM »

Apparently Natasha Richardson was at Mount Tremblant (a ski resort a few hours away from montreal - 4 i think). She is now at a hospital in montreal. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »

The craziest Shakespeare production I've seen was Much Ado About Nothing at Fresno State.  It was modernized to 1920s Sicily, and they were all members of the Mafia.  This was because the director wanted to make a big deal of Hero's bloodstained bedsheets after her wedding night, hanging from the window, proving she had lost her virginity.

Eeewwwww.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2009, 07:05:43 AM »

About the closest I come to seeing a weird Shakespeare production was something that we did at the University of Washington when I was a freshman (1960).

Rod Whitaker, who would later go on to become novelist "Trevanian" (THE EIGER SANCTION), concieved and staged a 1-hour production of HAMLET, which was done live on the University's local television station.  The play was presented with a minimum of set, just bits and pieces, against a cyc.

It had some good people in it.  John Gilbert, who would go on to join the Seattle Rep, was Hamlet, Marian Hailey, who later did films like LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS was Ophelia and Penny Ogilivy (now the wife of actor Frank Farmer) was Gertrude.

I played Osric...probably because they could find anybody else.   It was not my finest moment, but I did enjoy being a part of that project.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »

We spoke to the escrow officer for the sale of our Los Angeles house yesterday, and she informed us that escrow will not close and we are not likely to get the money from the sale until sometime next week, which means that our move will probably not happen until the end of next week (at the earliest).  More rescheduling and living out of boxes.

Bummer!

:'(

You can dream…or you can do.

DAW

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »

That's really too bad, DR Druxy.  I imagine it's not at all uncommon in this economic and lending climate.  :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up