Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COMEDY OF ERRORS  (Read 54729 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE COMEDY OF ERRORS
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »

DR Jane, that is crazy that one book has 24 holds. isn't the library just for your town? Even the most popular books here would never have more than 10-15 people on the list. And that would only be if it just came out.

Each little suburb here has its own library. So maybe your town has more people.

It is very common for libraries to be part of a larger network of libraries in order to share their resources.  Our Ashland Library is only 1 of 15 libraries that are part of The Jackson Country Library Services.

So when you say that 25 people have reserved it, you mean you can get it from any one of the 15 libraries?

Here it doesn't work that way.  My library did used to share books with the next suburb over. But that ended in september. I think it was similar to your situation in that we could reserve books from either library or have them brought to my library (although the other one was only 10 minutes away).

But now we can only get books from my library. But if they don't have the books and don't want to buy them we can get an inter-library transfer.  But i've never had to do that.

Jennifer

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »

re: Natasha Richardson.

I wish some rep of hers would make a statement. It is crazy that so many sites are reporting very severe things.

This article does not say her exact condition. But it is from the main television station in canada. And their reporter went to the hospital she was staying at and did get some real information.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090317/Natasha_Richardson_090317/20090317?hub=TopStories

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

Just had a wonderful twenty-minute Jacuzzi.  Much needed.  I forgot to mention that when I got home it was so pretty out that I did the long jog - I must say, the later in the day the harder it is.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

What all of this horrible Natasha Richardson news should remind us is to wear a helmet!  We don't let our kids ski/snowboard without wearing one.

Look who's talking - the guy who lets his kids swim in shark infested waters.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »

I'm getting ready to watch country night on AMERICAN IDOL.

I was going to mention that I watched the gala this sunday of STAR ACADEMIE (basically the quebec version of idol). And IDOL could really learn something from what they do.

A few weeks ago Celine dion was the guest performer. And this past week we had bryan adams, michel legrand (oscar winner), and mario pelchat (french singer who performs in a lot of musicals).

I was amazed at how well bryan adams spoke french. Although he sang only in English. But the interesting part of all 3 perfromers (adams, legrand, and pelchat) is that they sang many numbers. And all the contestants got to do duets with them. It ends up being amazing. And you get to see the talent. It is truly unbelievable how talented these french singers are. Their only downfall to me is that they sing in English a lot. And some of them have minor pronunciation problems.

Cillaliz

« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »

DR Jennifer, what do you think about the new "dance off" on DWS?

Also, I read that it is Melissa's parents and new boyfriend in the audience. Guess they'd rather see their daughter dance than be part of a show where she makes out with a guy who's making out with 20 other women...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »

Shut Your Trap.  I like that - I think it should be the name of a new play.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »

Service was as it should be.  Everyone was doing well.  I did not recognize many of the children of my cousins - until I talked to them and they told me their names.  They are all grown ups now, not school-age children.

Of course some of my first cousins showed up in sweatshirts and jeans....but they were THERE!  I asked my cousin Carolyn if she just came in from mowing the lawn and she told me how fat and old I looked - so it was just a normal family get together.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »

I forgot to watch RuPaul's Drag Race last night, but it was a compilation show, so maybe I will catch the rerun next Monday night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »

Tomorrow I am going to take all of the costumes I have been collecting down to the theatre......you can't be a nice dress for $2.50 at the Goodwill....most of them new with tags still attached....I always buy the COLOR TAG of the week which means half off the regular price.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »

Jennifer I have lived where my library had an agreement with the next town over.  The system here is different as all the libraries are part of the county & run by the county.  The book with 24 holds has 13 copies scattered throughout 7 libraries. 

I picked up two books today, 1 book has an Ashland bar code & the other a Medford one.  Last year when the libraries closed down due to lack of funds it was suggested Ashland break off & support our own library.  The argument against doing so it that the books don't really belong to us but to the country. 

Jane

« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »

DR Jennifer, I attempted to figure out which branch's "owned" the 13 books.  I'm not sure if I was reading it correctly, however, I found only 7 listed.  I suspect some of the branch's are very small with Medford being the central & largest of them all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »

DR Jane, that is crazy that one book has 24 holds. isn't the library just for your town? Even the most popular books here would never have more than 10-15 people on the list. And that would only be if it just came out.

Each little suburb here has its own library. So maybe your town has more people.

It is very common for libraries to be part of a larger network of libraries in order to share their resources.  Our Ashland Library is only 1 of 15 libraries that are part of The Jackson Country Library Services.

So when you say that 25 people have reserved it, you mean you can get it from any one of the 15 libraries?

Here it doesn't work that way.  My library did used to share books with the next suburb over. But that ended in september. I think it was similar to your situation in that we could reserve books from either library or have them brought to my library (although the other one was only 10 minutes away).

But now we can only get books from my library. But if they don't have the books and don't want to buy them we can get an inter-library transfer.  But i've never had to do that.

The Timberland Regional Library (where I work) is made up of 27 branches, spread out over five counties.  It's all one library system and we all use the same computer system but not every branch has every title.  We have three selectors who decide what to buy for the entire district.  On average, two or three copies of each selected non-fiction title is ordered and four or five copies of each selected fiction title is ordered.  Those are just the averages.  The selectors have a "high demand list" where they can see every single title in the system that has an on-line request and buy more copies if they want. 

Once the computers came into common use, our library system has been about getting a broad range of genres and titles spread throughout the entire district, but not necessarily a high number of copies of each title.  The patrons know that as long as a title is in the computer system, it's available for anyone anywhere to check out and have sent to his or her own local library within the district.

Not that you asked me. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »

Screenwriter Millard Kaufman, who co-created the cartoon character Mr. Magoo, was nominated for Academy Awards for his screenplays for "Take the High Ground!" and "Bad Day at Black Rock" and won a cult following as a first-time novelist at the age of 90, has died, a spokeswoman said. He was 92.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »

I am reading my copy of QUICKSILVER by Mr Fitzroy Davis.....very interesting.   I can't decide if the Orson Welles character is Henry or Joel.....Mr Tyrone Power seems to be Nicky....and of course the Basil Rathbone character is most interesting....all in all....so far....an interesting read.  Thanks to DR ELMORE who sent me a link to order it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #255 on: March 17, 2009, 05:36:36 PM »

DR Jane, there was a caller on Car Talk on Saturday named Brian from Ashland, Oregon.  I thought of your Bryan

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #256 on: March 17, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

Hands down TOD:

Hamlet directed by Libby Appel - done in leather with Hamlet spun around on a roulette wheel with music by Appel's son - even though she chose the music from several submissions and didn't even know until she made her decision that the favored composer WAS HER VERY OWN SON!!  Imagine that!  Several other relatives and friends were involved in the production.

And after she had alienated and driven away TWO volunteer organizations who had spent years at the Indiana Repertory Theatre and lost almost one third of their subscription base, Ms Appel moved on to other opportunities.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #257 on: March 17, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »

For some reason when I add these documented facts to Ms Appel's Wikipedia page, they soon disappear.

Jane

« Reply #258 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »

DR Jane, there was a caller on Car Talk on Saturday named Brian from Ashland, Oregon.  I thought of your Bryan

I doubt my Bryan has time to listen to Car Talk, or any other Talk these days.  Is that Car Talk as in repair?  LOL-I can't imagine any of my family listening to that.  Keith's Dad would have.

Jane

« Reply #259 on: March 17, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »

For some reason when I add these documented facts to Ms Appel's Wikipedia page, they soon disappear.

;D imagine!

As far as I can tell Ms Appel didn't hurt our festival, otherwise would they have kept her for so long?

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: March 17, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »

I doubt my Bryan has time to listen to Car Talk, or any other Talk these days.  Is that Car Talk as in repair?  LOL-I can't imagine any of my family listening to that.  Keith's Dad would have.

It's a really funny show on NPR. The first caller wanted to know if she should tell her ex, who got the car in the divorce, that she had spilled a whole container of meal worms in the car, lol.  I could tell it wasn't him by the way he described his problem with his car and that he lived in Ashland etc.  It was clearly not your Bryan, but I thought of you right away, nonetheless

George

« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

I'm off to my parents' house for a little get-together.  Have a good evening, all. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »

But before I go...

It's a really funny show on NPR. The first caller wanted to know if she should tell her ex, who got the car in the divorce, that she had spilled a whole container of meal worms in the car, lol.  I could tell it wasn't him by the way he described his problem with his car and that he lived in Ashland etc.  It was clearly not your Bryan, but I thought of you right away, nonetheless

This reminds me about a joke that I've posted before...and here it is again! ;D

CURTAIN RODS

She spent the first day packing her belongings into boxes, crates and suitcases. On the second day, she had the movers come and collect her things.

On the third day, she sat down for the last time at their beautiful dining room table by candlelight, put on some soft background music, and feasted on a pound of shrimp, a jar of caviar, and a bottle of Chardonnay.

When she had finished, she went into each and every room and deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells, dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain rods. She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.

When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the house began to smell. They tried everything; cleaning and mopping and airing the place out. Vents were checked for dead rodents, and carpets were steam-cleaned. Air fresheners were hung everywhere.

Exterminators were brought in to set off gas canisters, during which they had to move out for a few days, and in the end they even paid to replace the expensive wool carpeting.

Nothing worked. People stopped coming over to visit... Repairmen refused to work in the house...the maid quit...

Finally, they could not take the stench any longer and decided to move.

A month later, even though they had cut their price in half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky house. Word got out, and eventually, even the local realtors refused to return their calls.

Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from the bank to purchase a new place.

The ex-wife called the man, and asked how things were going. He told her the saga of the rotting house. She listened politely, and said that she missed her old home terribly, and would be willing to reduce her divorce settlement in exchange for getting the house back...

Knowing that his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was, he agreed on price that was about 1/10th of what the house had been worth...But only if she were to sign the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.

A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood smirking as they watched the moving company pack everything to take to their new home...

...including the curtain rods.

I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING, DON'T YOU??

Jane

« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »

DR Jennifer I believe the reps silence is an indication the news about Natasha Richardson is true. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »

Watching the new DVD of The Robe - what a transfer.  Warners should be forced to look at it and learn how nice it is when no one sucks all the blue out of the transfer.  And what did Fox do right that Warners can't seem to do?  They had an IB Tech reference print and color timed to that - which would seem to put the lie to towing the Warners line that Mr. Harris does, saying that An American In Paris looked like it does now back then in IB Tech - not true, never was, never will be.

Cillaliz

« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »

DR Jennifer I believe the reps silence is an indication the news about Natasha Richardson is true. :(

That was my thought.  If she was fine, you'd expect news of some sort. And saying there will be a statement tomorrow from the family, doesn't sound good to me

Jane

« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

Speaking of Bryan.  I went to the dermatologist today & having been an older student herself, she suggested Bryan think about dermatology.  His response was..

"Kind of a long shot, plus I don't know if I would want to deal with people's gross skin conditions all day.  We just saw some derm patients last week.  It was pretty bad, had two of these guys..."

I shall spare you the photo he sent.  I will say I don't know how this person could tolerate to sit or do other things I shall not go into.

Jane

« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

That was my thought.  If she was fine, you'd expect news of some sort. And saying there will be a statement tomorrow from the family, doesn't sound good to me

This is so sad.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »

I am reading my copy of QUICKSILVER by Mr Fitzroy Davis.....very interesting.   I can't decide if the Orson Welles character is Henry or Joel.....Mr Tyrone Power seems to be Nicky....and of course the Basil Rathbone character is most interesting....all in all....so far....an interesting read.  Thanks to DR ELMORE who sent me a link to order it.

I have had a pp copy of this since college that a theatre professor gave me who told me it was based on Katherine Cornell's production of Romeo and Juliet.  I found a hardbound 1st of it about ten-fifteen years ago as well as another Fitzroy Davis' book, called Through the Doors of Brass, about Hollywood.  I started Quicksilver once, but decided I was ready to devour it yet.  What can you tell me about this epic?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:34:44 PM by Charles Pogue »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »

DR Laura - I did think of you everytime I looked at a casino carpet.  Unfortunately, I didn't find any really impressive ones.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up