Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A BRAND NEW WEKK  (Read 48302 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:A BRAND NEW WEKK
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2004, 09:30:34 AM »

Just what kind of hurray is that?

Maybe its a Philly hurray, as in "Hurray up, it's my turn!"

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2004, 09:41:41 AM »

Der Brucer - Okay. I give up without a fight. Even though it's NOT correct to spell it Parikash. I don't care what anybody says. That's Hunglish. It's like Joe Eszterhas removing the final "Z" from his name to make life easier for the masses. I think that life should be hard for the masses. (And one of the people you quote writes that something is "very unique"... That disqualifies EVERYTHING right there.)
The only reason I give up without a fight is that you've got me drooling for pastries. That picture! Give it to me mit Schlage!
I'm going to note Otto's and take my daughter there when she comes to visit.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 09:42:23 AM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2004, 09:41:51 AM »

Quote from: William F. Orr link=board=4;threadid=209;start=msg32873#msg32873 date=1079370124
[sup
1[/sup] Added just for BK's benefit, because he hates grammar.  We should all attempt to do violence to grammar (But not to Gramma!) occasionally, just to please him.

Well, I'll do my part and continue on doing so.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2004, 09:41:51 AM »

If someone in the Midwest received his book today, HURRAY mine may be waiting for me when I get home AFTER tech rehearsal in 3-6 inches of snow!  That kind of Hurray!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2004, 09:43:30 AM »

Ah, THAT kind of hurray, the best kind.  Let us know.

Kerry

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2004, 09:44:09 AM »

The Wells Fargo Wagon just showed up, and although I did not get my salmon frm Seattle OR my my raisins from Fresno, I DID get KRITZER TIME and accompanying CD.  Mucho thanks.  I'm late for work.
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2004, 09:45:55 AM »

1 Added just for BK's benefit, because he hates grammar.  We should all attempt to do violence to grammar (But not to Gramma!) occasionally, just to please him.

No. A thousand times No! (That's 103 Nos).
We should take him to he woodshed, yes, the woodshed, take him to the woodshed (that's three woodsheds) and chastise him for his eschewance of proper grammar!

We have trouble Drs'
Right here on HainesHisWay,
Trouble, with a capital "T" and it rhymes with "B", and that stands for Bad Grammar (not Kelsey who can't even spell it).

der Brucer (concerned that first it's bad grammar, then puns, then youngin's posting lyrics with dirty words)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2004, 09:54:56 AM »

Der Brucer - Okay. I give up without a fight.

Ok - let's do breakfast:

then we shop!

Panni

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2004, 09:55:16 AM »

I must get working - but I have to tell this one little story. I just love the mysterious ways of the mind. Rachel (daughter) called yesterday from Switzerland. She said that something "freaky" (her lingo) happened to her in Hungary a couple of days ago. She and her boyfriend went to visit our cousin. They were in the lobby of her building, but couldn't find her apartment number. A man walked out and they asked him in English to help. He replied in German. Rachel says that without thinking, she told him in German what apartment they were looking for and had a brief conversation with him. When he left her boyfriend said "I didn't know you spoke German!"
"Neither did I!" she replied.
Turns out she had no idea where it came from.
Well, when she was really young, I remember teaching her German numbers and phrases, just for fun. It probably ended when she was 5 or 6 and has never been mentioned since.
But there it was - locked somewhere in the back of her mind -- and suddenly released when it was needed.

Okay - I must work. I have a big pitch meeting tomorrow and need to prepare.

Panni

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2004, 09:57:44 AM »

DerBrucer - Yummy! I see Dobos Torta. Droooooolllll....

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2004, 09:59:03 AM »

(And one of the people you quote writes that something is "very unique"... That disqualifies EVERYTHING right there.)

Ah, thank you, DR Panni!  I thought I was the only person in the world whose fritters were fried by that particular transgression.  As opposed to what?  A little bit unique?  Slightly one of a kind?

But we should give thanks, oh yes we should, that the postings on this web site from young and old alike are incredibly correct, grammatically, stylewise, and even spelling.  Compared to most of the "web sights" out there we are (unqualifiedly) unique.

But what really boils my tomatoes is what I hear on television (and, yes, read in the papers) from supposedly professional journalists--language is the major tool of their job.  ....Insert rant here...  Joe and I recently saw a special with a voice-over (didn't catch the name of the actor) entirely about the "catacooms".  Was there no one about to tap him on the shoulder and correct him?

And then there is Anthony Newley and "malyenki davushka" [sic].  Every time I hear the record of Stop the World, I scream at Anna Quayle, "It's malyenkaya!  Davushka is feminine!"  Minor maybe, but with all the money poured into a London and Broadway production, nobody thought to ask someone who spoke Russian?

Golly, I'm feisty this morning.  Better go teach computer class.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2004, 10:07:32 AM »

Few, if any, restaurants outside the Buffalo area serve this sandwich or even know what it is.

Shucks, just pop on over to The Native Newyorker in Tempe, AZ and you can get:

Beef on Kummelweck
You’re a true New Yorker if you order this! Roast beef piled high on our homemade Kummelweck roll. Baked with caraway seed and kosher salt on top.

der Brucer (what with Hungarian Breakfasts, ditto pastries and now this, Ize gettin' hung (not William) ry.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 10:46:10 AM by DERBRUCER »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2004, 10:07:34 AM »

It's the sign at the supermarket that reads "10 items or less" that gets my goat.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2004, 10:16:14 AM »

Hoo and Ray! My book arrived!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2004, 10:23:59 AM »

It's the sign at the supermarket that reads "10 items or less" that gets my goat.

Also: The plane will be departing momentarily.

I don't know if it's a Canadian thing, but over the years I've heard too many people say:

drownded
boughten
and
(I kid you not)
Massatusetts

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2004, 10:28:55 AM »

JRand53 - Good luck with the show. (And please e-mail me your address.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 10:34:40 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2004, 10:32:23 AM »

On the other hand (and, yes, I know we didn't have "on the one hand"), last week we heard a CBC reporter interview an African-American writer. When the reporter asked about "W.E.B. Du-Bwah" I told Gord that she was about to be corrected. Immediately, the writer told the interviewer: "It's Doo-boys." Gord was in shock.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 10:33:03 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2004, 10:32:35 AM »

Beef on Kummelweck

Or, as Dan-In-Toronto pointed out,  Kimmelweck.

Kimmelweck.

Kimmel wekk.

Wow.

As we used to say in recovery, "There are no coincidences, only small actors."

Or something like that...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 10:36:25 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2004, 10:41:13 AM »

... about the "catacooms".

and "malyenki davushka" [sic].  

A. catacooms=Puff Daddy's kitty?

B. The Russian is worse than you thought. The vocal score for STW says "Meilinki"! Now I'm staring a the cyrillic text in my Russian Grammar book and it is clearly mal- yen-key-ee! (Not sure how to phonetically reproduce the final vowel sounds, its a backward N followed by a backward N with the doo-hickie on top.)

der Brucer (who actually survived 2 years of Russian language classes in college)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2004, 10:51:25 AM »

I don't know if it's a Canadian thing, but over the years I've heard too many people say:

drownded
boughten
and
(I kid you not)
Massatusetts

Scarlet sends house boy to attic trunk to fetch some britches for her father.

On his return she inquires, “How many britches did you bring?”

His reply: “For Massatusetts.”

der Brucer (working overtime for that one!)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »

Not that I'm a Russian expert--far from it, I did dismally in one term of the language in college, DerB--but I believe the backwards N is like I in machIne and the one with the breve over it is the same sound, only shorter, like MALYENKIY.  Then again, Russian is somewhat like English in that one tends to blurr most unaccented vowels, turning them into shwas.

There's a nice word:  shwa.  Awhs spelled backwards.

And speaking of Kirtzerish backwards words (backwords?), I've been meaning to mention that Spoo (Oops spelled backwards) is a favorite delicacy of the Centauris on Babylon 5.  After many references to it on the show, the janitors (in the marvelous episode about the life of the janitors on a space station) finally tried some spoo and remarked,  "Tastes like chicken."
--Wayland Flowers

Ben

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2004, 10:56:25 AM »

Jose, I must have been half-asleep when I positioned Jason in Cambridge, MA at MIT (Massatusetts Instatute of Teknologee), instead of in Midtown (New York, NY so nice they named it twice) at MTI (Moosic Theater (I've broken my own internal unbreakable rule and spelled it the other way) Internationale)  ;)

Yes, the 1973 Candide belongs on CD

Yes, the mis-use of unique melts my buttons. Unique cannot be modified. Unique is Unique, unlike Monique (Van Vooren or any other Monique)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2004, 10:58:46 AM »

Ah, thank you, DR Panni!  I thought I was the only person in the world whose fritters were fried by that particular transgression.  As opposed to what?  A little bit unique?  Slightly one of a kind?

But we should give thanks, oh yes we should, that the postings on this web site from young and old alike are incredibly correct, grammatically, stylewise, and even spelling.  Compared to most of the "web sights" out there we are (unqualifiedly) unique.

But what really boils my tomatoes is what I hear on television (and, yes, read in the papers) from supposedly professional journalists--language is the major tool of their job.  ....Insert rant here...  Joe and I recently saw a special with a voice-over (didn't catch the name of the actor) entirely about the "catacooms".  Was there no one about to tap him on the shoulder and correct him?

And then there is Anthony Newley and "malyenki davushka" [sic].  Every time I hear the record of Stop the World, I scream at Anna Quayle, "It's malyenkaya!  Davushka is feminine!"  Minor maybe, but with all the money poured into a London and Broadway production, nobody thought to ask someone who spoke Russian?

Golly, I'm feisty this morning.  Better go teach computer class.

Try having people come and visit you in Warshington.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2004, 11:03:08 AM »

Michael J. Lewis, also composed a lovely score for my film, HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, 1983, starrng Ian Richardson.  He actually issued his own two-CD album of music awhile back which contained selections of his film musci from 1969-1994, conducted and produced by him.   On it are selections from my Hound of the Baskervilles, the Heston JULIUS CASAER, THE MEDUSA TOUCH, THEATRE OF BLOOD, MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT, SPHINX, and others...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2004, 11:12:56 AM »

Get ready for more than you want to know about Spoo.  The longer portion is by JMS, J. Michael Straczynski (there's that darn cz!), the creator of the series.

The entry in the Babylon 5 Encyclopaedia has this to say about Spoo:
Spoo is/are (the plural of spoo is spoo) small, white, pasty, mealy critters, rather worm-like, and generally regarded as the ugliest animals in the known galaxy by just about every sentient species capable of starflight, with the possible exception of the pak'ma'ra, who would simply recommend a more rigorous program of exercise. They are also generally considered the most delicious food in all of known space, regardless of the individual's biology, almost regardless of species, except for the pak'ma'ra, who like the flavor but generally won't say so simply to be contrary.

Spoo are raised on ranches on worlds with a damp, moist, somewhat chilly climate so that their skin can acquire just the right shade of paleness. Spoo travel in herds, if moving a total of six inches in any given direction in the course of a given year can actually be considered moving.  They stay in herds ostensibly for mutual protection, but the reality is that if they weren't propped up against one another, most of them would simply fall down. They do not howl, bark, moo, purr, yap, squeak or speak. Mainly, they sigh. Herds of sighing spoo can reportedly induce unparalleled bouts of depression, which is why most spoo ranchers wear earmuffs even when it's only mildly cold, damp, wet and dreary outside. If there is any life-or-death struggle for dominance within the spoo herd, it has not yet been detected by modern science.

Spoo ranching is one of the least regarded professions known. Little or no skill is required, once you've got a planet with the right climate. You bring in two hundred spoo, plop them down in the middle of your ranch, and go back to the nearby house. Soon you've got more. When it comes time to cull out the ones ready for market (the softest, mealiest, palest, most forlorn-looking spoo of the pack), little physical effort is required since they're incapable of rapid movement without falling over (see above). They do not resist, fight, or whine; they only sigh more loudly. When spoo harvest time comes, the air is full of the sound of whacking and sighing, whacking and sighing. Even an experienced spoo rancher can only harvest for brief periods of a time, due to the increased volume of sighing, which even the sound of whacking cannot altogether erase. (also see above) Some have simply gone mad.

Spoo are the only creatures of which the Interstellar Animal Rights Protection League says, simply, "Kill 'em."

Taken from a posting by JMS to CompuServe

In addition, the two main races for whom Spoo is a delicacy, the Centauri and Narn, disagree on the best way to serve their 'national' dish.  The Narn insist it is served fresh to the disgust of the Centauri who insist on it being served 'matured' at least 5 days old.  This argument has caused many problems on Babylon 5 on how it should be served in the five-star Fresh Air restaurant.  It is now available in both forms, and the Spoo are raised by station personnel to avoid any disputes over Centauri or Narn farming techniques.
All this for a little critter no-one would look twice at if it weren't for the taste!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Wayland Flowers

William E. Lurie

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2004, 11:19:08 AM »

A couple of titles I forgot were early RCA OBCs --- "Hazel Flagg" (mentioned above after my initial post), "Make A Wish," "Seventeen" and "Call Me Madame" with Dinah Shore (one of Bruce's good friends) in the Merman role but the rest of the original cast and the original orchestrations.  Also Columbia's "A Thurber Carnival".

I read this story today on another website and I wondered if any other DRs knew of this or if it is true or not.  When the movie of "Gypsy" originally opened it was with Roz's vocals but shortly after the opening was when they dubbed in Lisa instead.  This is the reason Roz always claimed she was not dubbed in the film --- she saw it before the change.  Anyone know anything about this?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2004, 11:21:27 AM »

Oh - I forgot to ask - BK, are you any relation to the people the Kimmel Center at NYU was named after?  It is a new building that I passed for the first time yesterday.  It's across the street from Washington Square and next to the Judson Church whereAl Carmines premiered his musicals in the 60s when he was a pastor there.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2004, 11:21:48 AM »

Yesterday, in response to my posting of Andrew Susllivan's comments on "Passion", Robin replied:

Never let it be said I don't give credit where it's due; but Mr. Sullivan wrote it better than I ever could...and I rarely agree with him on anything.  But we're on the same page here...

Well, let's try for 2 out of 2:

In todays column, Sullivan writes:

THE VICTIMS OF INTOLERANCE: It goes both ways, argues Ted Gup, in the Washington Post yesterday:

Intolerance always has two victims, the object of prejudice and its carrier. Gay men and women have endured ostracism, ridicule and violence. But those who cannot bring themselves to face the notion of homosexuality also have paid dearly. Marriage, not the abstract "institution" so often cited, but the flesh and blood and spiritual variety, has already suffered. Families have torn themselves apart over how and whether to accept a gay child, and husbands and wives, joined in sham unions coerced by society's unwillingness to accept a person's true sexual identity, have produced misery and divorce.

This is part of the reason I believe that allowing civil marriage for gays will deeply strengthen family life and the fiber of the country. It will bring families back together and prevent fake marriages and disastrous family structures from being entertained again.

der Brucer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM »

And, in addition:

Fresh spoo (served at an optimum temperature of 62-degrees) is served in cubed sections, so that they bear as little resemblence as possible to the animal from which they have just been sliced. Spoo is usually served alongside a chablis, or a white zinfandel.

Further information on the care, feeding, eating and whacking of spoo can be found in the second edition of the Interstellar Guide to Fine Dining.

Re: your desire to make and eat spoo at home...depends on whether or not you ever want to have children later....

What does spoo taste like?
Meat Jello.
Served chilled.

--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2004, 11:33:59 AM »

Never heard that "Gypsy" story before, WEL.  Doesn't seem to ring true.  In fact in her autobiography, she writes that she saw a work version of it with a "big trained voice" and objected that it sounded too trained and unliked her and demanded that her original vocals be put back in.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up