Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ME FOR THE SEESAW  (Read 22058 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: ME FOR THE SEESAW
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »

Oh...  Just one more thing...

And speaking of breakfast foods, here's an Op-Art piece from today's NY Times:

The Birth of the Croissant & the Bagel
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »

DR George, I'm very sorry you and company did not get to see Wicked yesterday.   I'm sorry you didn't try calling the box office, since you at least knew the seat locations, to see if some arrangement could be made.  I've read of people working with the house manager in some New York theatres under similar circumstances.

I lost tickets one, too. It was at Phoenix Theater's production of "Joseph...Dreamcoat." I remembered exactly where the seats were and that one seat was a child's seat, which they were able to confirm on their seating chart. I had to bring my mastercard statement that proved I paid for tickets, then wait until the house was filled -- except for those seats. Then the usher seated us. DRs Sandra and Megan will remember this.

I made a "ticket box" after that, where ALL the tickets go as soon as they are purchased. Now I know where they are.

We (eventually) thought about that, but we didn't buy the tickets and how would the theater know that we're legitimate.  AND my sister couldn't find the phone number of her co-worker who did buy the tickets.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »

*And I'm guessing this would not be such a good time to inform DR
George that I know the company manager for the current tour. I mean... Who knows? ;)

NOW you tell me.

:-*

Too bad that yesterday was the last day in Portland.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »

DR George - Is Wicked still in town this week/end?  If so, you might be able to ask for "post-dated" seating. Some of the Broadway houses have started doing this in order to make sure that the seats are filled - and that the audiences members are kept happy.  Since most of the houses use computerized box office systems, they are able to tell when tickets have been bought, but not used.  So, if someone happened to miss a show due to a travel issue or sickness, they will, depending on availability, allow people to use their "old" tickets to get into another performance.  They may not get the same "quality" of seats, but at least they still get to see the show.  So, if Wicked is still in your neck of the woods this week, and you happen to find the tickets, it might be worth calling the box office directly to see if there is anyway they can accommodate you and your family.

Nope.  Yesterday was the last day.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:55 AM »

DR George  - I'm so sorry about your ticket mishap!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »

Good Morning!

TOD:  The music from almost every movie I saw from the time of my birth until i was about 14 made me sit up and take notice.  It all represented another place, another dimension, another dream.  The two scores that really haunted me were Max Steiner's (mostly) lovely score for "A Summer Place" and whoever did the orchestrations (I will go back and look) for Harold Rome's music for "Fanny" -- especially the title song.  Another I definitely took notice of was "Lawrence of Arabia."  By the time I was 12 or 13, I knew Andre Previn from Alex North from Johnny Williams from Franz Waxman from Henry Mancini.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »

Yes.  ILLYA DARLING is my new favorite KRITZERLAND release of the year! 

And as MR BK says, hearing the songs in "show order" makes the album a completely different kind of listen.  My favorite songs are all there....and the addition of PO PO PO and THE BIRTHDAY SONG are great....particularly PO PO PO with it's dialog and exposition.

The music is glorious...remember this is my first time hearing in in S T E R E O!!

Congrats to KRITZERLAND and MR BK on this wonderful release.  Hopefully the score - if not the show - will be rediscovered.  The arrangements are lovely to hear.  And since that cock-eyed Greek prostitute is the whole show - hearing her "vocals" in stereo is also very nice!!

Hurray! 

But I still can't make out the lyric in GOLDEN LAND that follows the line:

"....seek the Achilles heel....?????????????????????....far away"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »

Many people were fond of Harold Rome's Fanny, I think, DR KERRY. :)

Kerry

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »

Why is Page One in VistaVision, Todd Ao and CinemaScope?
I like boat races.

George

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

Thanks Ginny and thanks everyone else for all the posts of commiseration.  We'd better have learned our lesson. ;)

DAW

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

Many people were fond of Harold Rome's Fanny

I wonder if there are any photos of same on the Inner-net?

DAW

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2009, 09:43:25 AM »

DR Michael S's movie poster, I believe.

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »

OK, I'm off to the grocery for taco ingredients.  Rob and Mary Linda are coming for dinner and to watch the basketball game - she's from near Michigan State and her parents are both grads.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOHN PIZZARELLI

Ben

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2009, 09:48:15 AM »

And as MR BK says, hearing the songs in "show order" makes the album a completely different kind of listen.  My favorite songs are all there....and the addition of PO PO PO and THE BIRTHDAY SONG are great....particularly PO PO PO with it's dialog and exposition.

The music is glorious...remember this is my first time hearing in in S T E R E O!!

Congrats to KRITZERLAND and MR BK on this wonderful release.  Hopefully the score - if not the show - will be rediscovered.  The arrangements are lovely to hear.  And since that cock-eyed Greek prostitute is the whole show - hearing her "vocals" in stereo is also very nice!!

Hurray! 

Wow, you got yours already!!!

I'm sure I won't get mine until the end of the week or later.

Kerry

« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »

TOD:  Two other soundtracks that I heard a lot and that I were terribly effective were "The Man With the Golden Arm" and especially, "PICNIC."
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

I did make it to the Hominy Grill this morning for breakfast.  I ended up sitting outside under the awning - the rain had stopped, and since it was packed inside, it was also a bit noisy.  I had a very basic Southern breakfast: two eggs, sausage, hominy grits, a "Mile High" biscuit, mixed berry jam (raspberry, blackberry and blueberry), and some coffee.  It was a good breakfast, but it did remind that I was not eating a NYC diner breakfast: it was a very sensible portion. ;) -Although, I would have liked two patties of their homemade sausage instead of one.

Thank You For Your Breakfast re-cap

I had steel-cut oatmeal with maple syrup and a banana, in case you want to know.

I had standard (meaning not instant) oatmeal with a small banana, a strawberry and some raisins and a cup of coffee with a splash of skim milk.

Kerry

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

OK, I'm off to the grocery for taco ingredients.  Rob and Mary Linda are coming for dinner and to watch the basketball game - she's from near Michigan State and her parents are both grads.

There was a short-lived sitcom with Georgia Engel as a midwesterner who moved to Los Angeles, and she had one of the greatest lines delivered in her inimitable style.  She was going to make an authentic Mexican dinner to celebrate and came out of the kitchen saying, "We were all out of chorizo, so I used Jimmy Dean sausage instead." 
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

Am I mis-remebering, or does the soundtrack of Zeffirelli's ROMEO AND JULIET have huge chunks of dialogue on it including a swordfight?

I have a 4 lp set of this.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »

DR Michael S's movie poster, I believe.

You are right!
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »

I have a corned beef brisket slowly boiling on the back burner.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DAW

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »

And what time would you like us all to arrive?      :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2009, 09:59:01 AM »

Some days the smallest things irritate me, too, DR td.

George

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »

Time to go to work.

Have a good day, all! :)

DAW

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

a small banana

Some days the smallest things irritate me, too

Yes, a small banana would irritate me also.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »

Many people were fond of Harold Rome's Fanny, I think, DR KERRY. :)

I rather enjoy Mozart's TOOTIE'S COSY FANNY.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »

Hurray! 

Wow, you got yours already!!!

I'm sure I won't get mine until the end of the week or later.

Likewise, DR Ben.  I'm envisioning it in a bin in our building's mailroom labeled "To Be Delivered When We Feel Like It".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »

...-Although, I would have liked two patties of their homemade sausage instead of one.

How unsensible!

I would have asked to substitute an additional sausage patty for the grits.

Amen! Hominy, yep. Grits, never!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:09 AM »

DR George, I'm very sorry you and company did not get to see Wicked yesterday.   I'm sorry you didn't try calling the box office, since you at least knew the seat locations, to see if some arrangement could be made.  I've read of people working with the house manager in some New York theatres under similar circumstances.

I lost tickets one, too. It was at Phoenix Theater's production of "Joseph...Dreamcoat." I remembered exactly where the seats were and that one seat was a child's seat, which they were able to confirm on their seating chart. I had to bring my mastercard statement that proved I paid for tickets, then wait until the house was filled -- except for those seats. Then the usher seated us. DRs Sandra and Megan will remember this.

I made a "ticket box" after that, where ALL the tickets go as soon as they are purchased. Now I know where they are.

We (eventually) thought about that, but we didn't buy the tickets and how would the theater know that we're legitimate.  AND my sister couldn't find the phone number of her co-worker who did buy the tickets.

Well, if she's her co-worker, can't someone at work give her a number? Won't she see her at work?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »

a small banana

Some days the smallest things irritate me, too

Yes, a small banana would irritate me also.

Is that a euphemism?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up