Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH TIME  (Read 16644 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: HIGH TIME
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »

Today was supposed to be a Personal Holiday.  I've been called in to work.  Say "La Vie."   :-\

Okay!  "La Vie"!

There, I've said it!

Someone else say it, too!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »

Page 3 SAY IT Dance!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »

DR RonP, if you wanted me to watch that video of BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT all you had to say was that simon cowell was a judge! ;)

I was unfamiliar with the show. And surprisingly had no idea simon was a judge.

I think the moment i teared up was when she hit her first note and then the camera panned to simon's reaction.

It's funny but even after reading the comments here i was unprepared for what i heard. Unbelievable performance.

How does the show work? Does she only get to perform again at the end? It seem pointless to me for them to continue the competition. They already have their winner.

It works in the same way "America's Got Talent" does -- they hold auditions.  Some make it through, more don't.  Then they gather together those who made it through the auditions (like the Hollywood auditions of "American Idol").  They narrow the field down to a set number (12? 16? I don't really know) and everyone is told to "BRING IT"!.  The audience votes each week just like on Idol.  And there is a final showdown and, again, the audience votes, just like on Idol.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »

It must be Meet the Owners day for the squirrels. The most I ever see are 5 - but today we had a scrambling crowd of nine (some obvious juveniles).

Before the rodents landed and the rain started, a Jay did swoop in for a snack:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »

I wonder how elmore is doing with Finale?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »

In the Changeling department, I, too, did not like the "acting" of Miss Jolie, and yet she gets nominated and acclaimed and reviewed as if she was the equal of someone like Meryl Streep.  And I agree that the Changeling script was not that good - it should have been, and yet, it, too, got nominated (I think) and wonderfully reviewed.  Which tells you something.

No, the script wasn't nominated at the Oscars, but Jolie was, of course. The script may have gotten nominations somewhere else.

It did: Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA
and the BAFTA Awards.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »

Good Morning! -At least it's still morning on the Left Coast...

I'm up...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm up... And today is a buckle down Winsocki day for me, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »

DR RonP, if you wanted me to watch that video of BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT all you had to say was that simon cowell was a judge! ;)

I think the moment i teared up was when she hit her first note and then the camera panned to simon's reaction.

It's funny but even after reading the comments here i was unprepared for what i heard. Unbelievable performance.

How does the show work? Does she only get to perform again at the end? It seem pointless to me for them to continue the competition. They already have their winner.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't wowed over by the woman.  Yes, she has a nice, above average voice but it isn't anything that I would think of as spectacular.  And that entire video segment is incredibly manipulative!  Clips of young and attractive audience members rolling their eyes at this woman.  Yes, I'm sure the video cameras just happened to capture those looks at that particular moment.  And then we get Simon Cowel's tramsformation from dismissful smirk to angelic rapture.  Puh-leeze...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »

DR Jennifer - First of all, I believe I was the first DR to post a link to Susan Boyle's performance. ;) -Of course, I didn't mention Simon Cowell, but I did mention Paul Potts - who was mentioned quite a few times on this here site last year when he started his "climb" on "BGT".

Secondly - WOW!!!  So there is a reality/competition TV show that you did not know!?!?!??!  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »

Today was supposed to be a Personal Holiday.  I've been called in to work.  Say "La Vie."   :-\

Okay!  "La Vie"!

There, I've said it!

Someone else say it, too!

Don't humor him :)

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Is that pronounced LA VEE? or LA VYE?  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »

Workies (and the weather here in Rehoboth is foul - bleh!)

OH!! Who driving?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

I'm sorry, but I wasn't wowed over by the woman.  Yes, she has a nice, above average voice but it isn't anything that I would think of as spectacular.  And that entire video segment is incredibly manipulative!  Clips of young and attractive audience members rolling their eyes at this woman.  Yes, I'm sure the video cameras just happened to capture those looks at that particular moment.  And then we get Simon Cowel's tramsformation from dismissful smirk to angelic rapture.  Puh-leeze...

Well... All those "BGT" segments are somewhat over-produced, and the producers really do know how to work the audience in the studio and at home.  I had a similar reaction to Paul Potts.  A good voice, not a great voice, but a great story!  There was no denying his passion and all the self-motivated hard work and practice he had done up to that point. -Then when you add a waterfall of fireworks behind him while he's singing Puccini, well, why wouldn't you start clapping?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »

As for The Topic of the Day...

Well...

Marijuana.
Once.
In Memphis.
In a hotel.
In a hot tub.
With a classical guitarist and a percussionist.
While drinking champagne (it was post-competition - they won).
I only took one toke - I'm not even sure I inhaled.

Of course, "they" say you never feeling it your first time, and I don't think I felt much of anything. -At least in regards to the MJ, and I didn't even have that much champagne either.  But I did enjoy the hot tub - it was a long day of competition, of playing, and it felt good to relax.
While drinking champagne.

Since then, I've realized that I'm a bit allergic to the smoke - makes my skin itch and my eyes water like crazy.

That is all.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:35:55 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2009, 11:35:35 AM »

It works in the same way "America's Got Talent" does -- they hold auditions.  Some make it through, more don't.  Then they gather together those who made it through the auditions (like the Hollywood auditions of "American Idol").  They narrow the field down to a set number (12? 16? I don't really know) and everyone is told to "BRING IT"!.  The audience votes each week just like on Idol.  And there is a final showdown and, again, the audience votes, just like on Idol.

Simon Cowell is not a judge on "America's Got Talent", but Piers Morgan is, along with Sharon Osborne and David Hasselhoff.  Jerry Springer is/was(?) the host.

*I have to wonder what the next Simon Fuller and Simon Cowell franchise will be after all the "Pop Idol" and "American Idol" spinoffs, "So You Think You Can Dance?", "The X Factor", "Celebrity Duets", etc., etc., etc.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:41:56 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »

... it's quite dark, involving parricide, murder, spousal abuse and a Madoff ponzi scheme that bankrupts several impotant characters.

Why are the studs immune from the scheme?

der Brucer
... it's quite dark, involving parricide, murder, spousal abuse and a Madoff ponzi scheme that bankrupts several impotant characters.

Why are the studs immune from the scheme?

der Brucer

It's for the same reason you can't type "candlestick" yesterday. Glass houses, dearie!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »

Not so well as he'd like.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »

Gee!  Mr. Cranky Pants!   :D   I'd cast her in a musical in nano-second.  Working with her as an actress would be the trick, but that voice is amazing to me.  She has a wonderful open tone to my ears.  And it's so totally unexpected.  If that voice is "above average," I'll take it over most of what I hear every time there's a singer on the radio or TV.

;)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:03:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

Not so well as he'd like.

Absolutely the least intuitive program I have ever worked for in any context.  I hate it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »

Simon Cowell is not a judge on "America's Got Talent",

Who said he was?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »

FINALLY moved onto Illya Darling and am in LOVE with the Overture.  Then again, for some reason, I'm enamored by Greek music.  Which might explain my obsession with Mamma Mia and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".  All of which, I do realize, are probably bad representations of Greek ANYTHING, but still, I think it's wonderful.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »

bk - If you are still looking for possible questions for JRB and GS:

-Were you surprised at the critical reception of Parade in the UK? -At least in regards to the subject matter and historical setting of the show.

-Do you you (either of them) like hearing your own songs sung at auditions? And are there any of your songs that you think should only be brought in for a callback (for any show, not necessarily their own).

-Have you ever been totally "shocked" - in a good way or a bad way - by someone's interpretation of one of your songs?

And from a pianist-former-music-store-clerk point of view: Do you think there could ever be such a thing as an "Easy Piano" JRB collection?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »

Simon Cowell is not a judge on "America's Got Talent",

Who said he was?

No one, DR Ron Pulliam.

I was just trying to inform DR Jennifer whom the judges were for the US version, and that Piers Morgan does appear on both.  And that Simon Cowell does not.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »

OK... I've stayed too long at the fair. Until later tonight - probably much, much later tonight...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »

DR George:  I believe the accurate spelling for "dube" would be "doob", or short for "doobie".  And then, there's the "Doobie Brothers" to remember if you have second doubts.  Or, just remember "Scoobie Doobie Doo"!

:)

;)

I stand corrected...by someone who obviously knows. ::)

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good recording of "The Tender Land"?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

TOD - I've never even smoked a regular cigarette, although my lungs took in plenty of second-hand smoke when I was growing up (both parents smoked - my mother quit when I was in college, but my dad never did).  When I was doing community theater, I was always afraid that I'd get a part that required smoking and someone would have to teach me.

I had to grow up with it, also.  And doing community theater, I've thought about what would I do if I were cast in a role that required smoking.  So far, I haven't.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »

TOD

When I was in college, my future Mother-in-Law provided me with a copious supply of her diet pills to help with exam cramming (they were. of course Dexedrine, the progenitors of speed).

Navy corpsman regularly supplied me with dexedrine or benzedrine )”bennies” to help stay alert for long periods of duty ( I would never have completed the arduous 18+hour Navigational Sea Detail from the Chesapeake Bay Light Ship to our home pier on the Potomac in D.C. without the drug assist).

Although I tried marijuana on numerous occasions, they were generally non-eventful – I usually fell sound asleep within a few minutes.

A few snorts of crystal were a help in navigating weekend forays into the LA club scene. One of the effects of using meth is a lowering of inhibitions and a tendency to get very talkative (so no one ever knew if I was on the stuff or not).

I’ve never had an interest in mind-altering drugs; a starlit night far at sea, the sunrise on the beach, listening to Beethoven or Puccini, or strolling through an Art Museum provide all the stimulation I’d ever need.

And of course, there is always chocolate.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good recording of "The Tender Land"?

Philip Brunelle; it's as good a recording of a boring opera as you'll ever get. And I like Copland's music.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:45:30 PM by elmore3003 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up