Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WARP SPEED  (Read 17729 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: WARP SPEED
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »

I just today got the new 7 BD set of the original ST films, plus a bonus BD.  Started up the first one--it's the theatrical cut, not the Director's Cut. 

I am NOT sure what this means, but i think it's positively indecent!

And DR JMK you will never get my inscribed and autographed photo of Frances Farmer until they pry it from my cold, dead hands....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #271 on: May 18, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »

Page 10 Frances Farmer Autographed Photo Dance.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #272 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

I'm not sure, but I think Frances lost the battle of hair and makeup that day.  Or maybe it was a draw.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #273 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:45 PM »

Wonder what is showing on the tee vee?

MR BK is high def......and DR JEANNE was nearly "high" def as well.

DR JANE I forgot to say I liked your bear story and the bear pic that went with it yesterday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »

"Sad to be all alone in the world." - Mrs. Meers.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

I got to watch the Survivor finale but only up until they announced the winner.

I did not get to watch the Desperate Housewives finale yet. So i'm just trying not to read/hear about what happened. I won't get to watch the Medium finale. Or One Tree hill finale, or gossip girl finale for a few days.

I'm hoping my niece will watch DWTS with me. Although when i asked her if she'd watch it she said, "no thanks"

Well, you can breathe easier about MEDIUM since it was NOT the finale as I thought it was. The show still has TWO weeks left to run! Hooray!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »

MR BK is dropping hints about the new release....a composer about whom he has already had his say...and the film is available on DVD......

Matt H.

« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

Well, I had the entire evening free so I thought it was time to start cleaning some of the DVR cache programs off instead of watching a movie or something from a TV box set.

Matt H.

« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

I began by watching last night's THE TUDORS. Henry finally gets to see/marry Anne of Cleves. Not a match made in heaven although the actress they hired to play Anne was not in the least homely as other Annes have been portrayed. She might have been a trifle plump but her face was rather lovely, I thought.

Matt H.

« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »

Next I enjoyed watching LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT. Yes, the instigator of the crime was very predictable, but it was still an enjoyable episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »

Next up was the season finale of THE OFFICE. I enjoyed the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE riff, and there were certainly some surprises and lots of fun along the way.

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »

'24' was riveting as only it knows how to be, and a wide open cliffhanger to end the season.

Matt H.

« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »

And I thoroughly enjoyed MEDIUM tonight with Anjelica Huston, Balthasar Getty, AND Rumer Willis. And directed by star Patricia Arquette (who did a very nice job with the direction).

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

I'm going to do a little research in the office and then head downstairs for bed.

Good night!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »

Back from the meeting and a visit to Amoeba, where I took in a big box o' DVDs I no longer care about, need, or want to replace with their Blu-Ray counterparts.  I got a great trade-in gal who gave me more than I thought I'd get - a LOT more.  I got a bunch o' Blu-Rays and am watching Mamma Mia right now - I hadn't seen it before.  It's fun.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »

Back from the meeting and a visit to Amoeba, where I took in a big box o' DVDs I no longer care about, need, or want to replace with their Blu-Ray counterparts.  I got a great trade-in gal who gave me more than I thought I'd get - a LOT more.  I got a bunch o' Blu-Rays and am watching Mamma Mia right now - I hadn't seen it before.  It's fun.

This whole BK-Blu-ray adventure is just makin' me smile and smile.

High def!  It's really SOMETHIN', ain't it, BK!!??!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »

When the transfer is top-notch, it's more than amazing.  When the transfer is iffy, like Rio Bravo, it's still better than the DVD counterpart, but depressing that Warners so consistently gets it wrong.  I've been very impressed with other studios' Blu-Rays though - especially Columbia on their few classics - the Bond films From Russia With Love and Goldfinger both look fantastic, while Thunderball is almost half-faded, color-wise, and a distinct disappointment.  Very sharp, but very brown. 

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »

Hello from an errant and truant poster.

Having been side tracked by irritating and annoying things. 

Of which I hope are over.

I'm looking forward to being cheerful again.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54:36 PM »

I loved all the Star Trek episodes.   And the movies.   

I believe there were maybe 10 of us, who camped out for the first movies.

Those days were really good, carefree enjoyment.

I'm amazed we never got in trouble.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »

As you can tell I still have not read the last 3 or 4 days of posts.

Another good night of sleep, and fewer things to do, would be nice.

I need to find an hour a night to sit at the computer.

Sam

« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »

It's time to say goodnight.

Have a really pleasant Tuesday.

Sam

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »

I've listened to House of Flowers a dozen times already.  I really like the songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2009, 11:10:10 PM »

Through checking out the new Blu-Rays - many winners and a couple of losers, like A Bridge Too Far, which is faded, brown, and really ugly.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »

And I thoroughly enjoyed MEDIUM tonight with Anjelica Huston, Balthasar Getty, AND Rumer Willis. And directed by star Patricia Arquette (who did a very nice job with the direction).

I didn't notice that Patricia had directed.  I really enjoyed this episode. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »

George, thank you for the VIBES on my washing machine, but they didn't work. Or maybe they did, depending on your point of view. The repair man gave me a quote of $479.00 to fix it...sheesh! Naturally, I could buy a new one for that. Mark and I are convinced that he worked the numbers specifically so I'd have to buy a new one. It probably was not the best idea to have Sears come out for the repair. Maybe I should have gotten a second opinion, but the hamper is very full now, so we picked out a new washer yesterday. With tax, delivery, hall-away-the-old fee, discounts, rebates, and coupons, the grand total came to $459.00. Sounds fishy to me. Anyway, it's being delivered tomorrow, but I doubt it will be nearly as much fun or gratifying as Bruce's new television.

Sorry that my vibes didn't help, Sam. :-\ Hopefully, the new washer will give you years of trouble-free use!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »

Does anyone have an iPhone?  Jesse Jones (a Seattle consumer advocate) did a segment on people whose iPhones got wet from sweat but weren't covered by the warranty...click HERE to see and/or read the segment.  It's quite interesting...and not a problem specific to Seattle.  It's something that anyone with an iPhone needs to know.

George

« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »

Just had to share. :D

George

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

I moved my portable AC unit into the living room over the weekend and stayed cool that way (along with having my balcony umbrella open to deflect the sun and my curtains drawn to deflect light).

At night, it cooled off sufficiently for me to sleep comfortably with only three fans circulating the air in my bedroom (one in the window blowing air in, one on the floor moving air up and one in the door moving air out).

I have ordered an industrial-strength oscillating fan to set up on those hot days when air movement is critical in my condo. Even when it cools down at night, vast pockets of warm air seem to pervade. I went 'em gone, I tell ya....GONE.

DR Ron Pulliam - Do any of the units in your building have Central Air? Or is your building "of a certain age"? Could you install a ceiling fan or two?

No, my building was erected in the early 1980s. No central air of any kind. Except for office buildings with sealed windows, A/C hasn't been a normal fixture in most structures here. That's because we seldom have excessive heat. My particular unit has full top-floor western exposure. The unit "bakes" during hot weather...and the heat has no natural means of escape. There is no "flow" through the house....all windows and my balcony door are on the western side. My entrance door faces north and a wall, so there's not really and "through current" accessible there, unless there's a nice gusty breeze. I can cool the place down really well under "normal" (or, what used to pass for the "norm") afternoons as the fog starts moving in. That requires a breeze off the bay. When it's HOT here, the breeze is off-shore...and it rolls in from the central, desert-like regions in volumes of billowing heat.

As for ceiling fans...my ceiling is low...about 8 feet. There are no overhead lights, either, so there would have to be re-wiring. That's not something I want to do in a rental unit.

This is very much like my place...there's no way for the heat to escape from my top floor, where I sleep.  I hope that my building is re-roofed soon, but I don't know when it will happen, but when it does, I'll get a new skylight that can open.  THAT will be nice. ;D

George

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:12 AM »

It's too close to Page 11 for me not to go for it...

George

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

...and since we're finally here...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up