Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WARP SPEED  (Read 17801 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: WARP SPEED
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

I moved my portable AC unit into the living room over the weekend and stayed cool that way (along with having my balcony umbrella open to deflect the sun and my curtains drawn to deflect light).

At night, it cooled off sufficiently for me to sleep comfortably with only three fans circulating the air in my bedroom (one in the window blowing air in, one on the floor moving air up and one in the door moving air out).

I have ordered an industrial-strength oscillating fan to set up on those hot days when air movement is critical in my condo.  Even when it cools down at night, vast pockets of warm air seem to pervade.  I went 'em gone, I tell ya....GONE.

DR Ron Pulliam - Do any of the units in your building have Central Air? Or is your building "of a certain age"? Could you install a ceiling fan or two?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

Sorry to hear that DR DRUXY....as DR JOSE mentions above....The Rainbow Bridge is a great place.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »

DR Druxy, I am so very sorry about little Cody. Please take care.  :'(

Amy

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »

The original Star Trek was a bit dated by the time I was old enough to see it in syndication. I admit I've seen quite a few episodes, but only out of boredom.

But I LOVED Star Trek TNG. I'm pretty sure I've seen just about every episode at least once. It reminded me a lot of the "Fantastic Four" cartoon I watched as a kid. Several of the cast were like superheroes with their own special abilities: Deanna Troi was the psychic, Geordi had that super eyesight, Data the android could compute stuff really fast, and Worf was the warrior (the last one wasn't much of an "ability" but you get the idea). So, I assumed I'd love Deep Space Nine, and I did enjoy some of the episodes - the pilot was especially good - but it never grabbed me the way TNG did. And Voyager was a complete snooze.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:11:18 PM by Amy »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »

I don't think I have seen DR derBRUCER and DR SWW for a couple of days....or am I wrong?  Again?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »

Tonight we are doing Kiss Me Kate, Act One - music and dance only.....could be interesting.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »

Condolences from Skip and me to Druxy and family

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »

I must speak up as the one Trekker--not Trekkie, please!--in the crowd.  I have seen every Star Trek episode and film, and although I am the first one to criticize their flaws, I love them all.

I adore Kate Mulgrew, and have played the album of her as Katharine Hepburn numerous times.

And yes, I even was Mr. Spock at a University of Wisconsin gathering back in the 60's, ears and all.

So there.  Pfffft!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:26:46 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

I moved my portable AC unit into the living room over the weekend and stayed cool that way (along with having my balcony umbrella open to deflect the sun and my curtains drawn to deflect light).

At night, it cooled off sufficiently for me to sleep comfortably with only three fans circulating the air in my bedroom (one in the window blowing air in, one on the floor moving air up and one in the door moving air out).

I have ordered an industrial-strength oscillating fan to set up on those hot days when air movement is critical in my condo.  Even when it cools down at night, vast pockets of warm air seem to pervade.  I went 'em gone, I tell ya....GONE.

DR Ron Pulliam - Do any of the units in your building have Central Air? Or is your building "of a certain age"? Could you install a ceiling fan or two?

No, my building was erected in the early 1980s.  No central air of any kind.  Except for office buildings with sealed windows, A/C hasn't been a normal fixture in most structures here.  That's because we seldom have excessive heat.  My particular unit has full top-floor western exposure.  The unit "bakes" during hot weather...and the heat has no natural means of escape.  There is no "flow" through the house....all windows and my balcony door are on the western side.  My entrance door faces north and a wall, so there's not really and "through current" accessible there, unless there's a nice gusty breeze.  I can cool the place down really well under "normal" (or, what used to pass for the "norm") afternoons as the fog starts moving in.  That requires a breeze off the bay.  When it's HOT here, the breeze is off-shore...and it rolls in from the central, desert-like regions in volumes of billowing heat.

As for ceiling fans...myceiling is low...about 8 feet.  There are no overhead lights, either, so there would have to be re-wiring.  That's not something I want to do in a rental unit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:24:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

Had a very nice lunch, but the breezes were quite stiff and even though I was in a long sleeved shirt and jeans, I was unusually cool. I wish I had worn an undershirt under my shirt.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »

So much sadness today over at Facebook (and here).  Two people I know have lost pets today.  I've shared the "Rainbow Bridge" piece with both of them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:56 PM »

I watched all four seasons of ENTERPIRSE, but really only the first two seasons were really good. Then they started having these long story arcs that were dull, and then only the actors like Scott Bakula and Connor Trineer kept me coming back on a weekly basis.

It was also a BEAUTIFUL series to watch in high definition. I got my first HD set during the show's original run, and it and CSI were the two shows I must looked forward to each week to watch in HD.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

When I got in from lunch, I fired up TAKEN on Blu-ray. The disc offers the theatrical and extended (unrated) edition. There's only about 2 1/2 minutes of difference between them. I suspect the violent scenes are a little less censored in the unrated cut.

Very fast paced thriller. Imagine what Jason Bourne would do if he were middle aged trying to rescue his kidnapped daughter, and that's TAKEN. It only ran 93 minutes, so it just flies by.

I really enjoyed it.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »

I had time to get through the bonus features, too. Not really all that much to offer. A making of documentary, shots at the premiere in Paris, some split-screen action scenes showing the actual filming and how it looked in the finished work. There were also two commentaries, and a pop-up OPS information window keeping track of the number killed, wounded, and how many geographical miles are traveled.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »

I agree!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »

And I had time to skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest. Damien was in the previews but no sign of the boys.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

And is everyone aware that Obama owes his presidency to Seven of Nine? 

Wiki has the story.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

I agree!

So do I!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »

Wiki has the story.

I knew it wasn't ME!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »

Off to rehearsal....early because of ALL of the road closures and the road closures on the detour roads of the original road closures and the extra heavy traffic because of same.

DAW

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

I also offer my condolences and {{{hugs}}} to DR Druxy...          :'(

Amy

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »

I adore Kate Mulgrew, and have played the album of her as Katharine Hepburn numerous times.

I liked Kate Mulgrew as Sam Malone's girlfriend on "Cheers."

Amy

« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »

Wiki has the story.

Interesting story. But how do we know that Jack Ryan would have defeated Obama in the Illinois Senate in 2004?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »

Monday morning greetings!  I left here abruptly yesterday because DH Richard woke up from his longer-than-usual nap and came to my study door complaining of chest pains.  With his family history, we take that pretty seriously, so I called 911 and they transported him to our spiffy new hospital.  It was determined fairly quickly that he did NOT have a heart attack, but our family doctor decided to admit him to see if they could bring down his slight fever enough to administer a stress test.  The doc thinks he may have one of the flu bugs that's going around (not THE flu)  and I think he's plain exhausted.

Fortunately, Rob and Mary Linda were still here, so Rob was waiting up for me when I got home at 1:30am.  They were off to school at UC before 7:15 this morning, but I sure appreciated their help yesterday.

~~~Vibes for DR Ginny's DH Richard!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »

Sorry to hear about Cody.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »

Some interesting TV renewal tidbits:

LIE TO ME has been renewed and will be moved to Mondays at 9 after HOUSE in the fall.

BONES returns to Thursdays at 8 where it will be followed by FRINGE.

DOLLHOUSE has been renewed and will remain on Fridays at 9.

COLD CASE has been renewed, but THE UNIT and WITHOUT A TRACE may not be.

GARY UNMARRIED has been renewed. OLD CHRISTINE and RULES OF ENGAGEMENT are very likely renewals. That means WORST WEEK definitely looks to be gone.

SAMANTHA WHO? has been canceled (they have 7 unaired episodes to burn off, presumably this summer).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »

I've written a draft of one set of liner notes (almost gave away the title), and will try to flesh them out a little.  I'm just not one to do a plot recap and I've already written my say about the composer, so the notes are very short at the moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

Now I have some writing to do, so I must hop off-line and get it done.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »

I just found that my new TV and receiver automatically upscale regular TV broadcasts - they look pretty nice now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up