Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AOHELL  (Read 33781 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:AOHELL
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2004, 08:04:24 AM »

I'm not sure it's fair to dismiss Steak Tartare simply as "seasoned hamburger."  Here's what Irma and Marion wrote in the '75 Joy of Cooking:

STEAK TARTARE OR CANNIBAL BALLS

"We always tender this recipe with some misgiving because of the risks run in eating uncooked meat and egg.  Cannibal balls are a mini-version of the classic Steak Tartare or Cannibal Mound: a clump of raw beef with a shallow indentation on top into which a raw egg yolk is broken, garnished with chopped onion, caviar or anchovy, and capers."

They then to into their recipe, which specifically calls for top sirloin, not just any ground beef.  (Fat ratios are different from cut to cut; top sirloin is quite lean - think of it as tofu that tastes good!)

Michael Lomonaco, in the days when he was chef at the 21 Club, noted in his The '21' Cookbook that "Dinah Shore, the embodiment of grace and femininity, requested it every time she came to '21'."  In his recipe, he notes that the meat should be ground as close to mealtime as possible.  He does season the meat, with Worcestershire, Dijon, Tobasco, chopped egg whites, red onion and shallots, plus the traditional anchovy and some parsley.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2004, 08:13:25 AM »

A BIG happy birthday, Fosca

Love, Echo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 08:20:31 AM by Jane »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2004, 08:16:45 AM »

Alas, some of you may thnk that I did not wish my DB a proper Happy Birthday, but I did, according to filial tradition.  With 3000 miles separating us, I must say it sometimes nice to actually speak with my dear brother.

One song that I a sre Miss Marcovicci did NOT sing is a favorite of mine. It is from her raher inamous out-of-town closer, NERFERITI.  The score to this show is not at all horrible, and includes this one precious gem, "Everything is Possible."  (At least that is what I recallthe title to be, and I am not about to go haul to my LP's at this hour....)  It is a lovely number.

As for OC's (or general performances) that I wish I had seen... For one, I must concur with my brother:  Merman in GYPSY.  Though I am eternally grateful that our parents had the presence of mind to have us catch her in DOLLY.  (Like the rumors that even those walking OUTSIDE of City Center when Tallulah was playing Blanche duBois were struck gay, I think the same can be said for many at the St. James when Ethel was in DOLLY.)

Others:

Bacall (and Baxter) in APPLAUSE
FOLLIES
Verdon in CHARITY (on a night when she did all her numbers)
and for reasons unknown to many, except my dear partner, THE TAP DANCE KID.
and for sheer morbidity, I would have loved to have seen the Yvonne DeCarlo bus and truck tour of DOLLY.

And let's face it, wouldn't we all have been intrigued to be there the night Laura Keene played OUR AMERICAN COUSIN at Ford's?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2004, 08:25:57 AM »

BK, I sympathize with your dealings with AOHELL customer service and tech support.  I've gone through similiar episodes with Earthlink.  I think the problem very well be a language barrier--I've learned that Earthlink had long ago outsourced their tech support to overseas so it wouldn't be a big surprise that AOHELL has done likewise.

Time Machine Trip:  Good gosh, almighty--there are too many that I would want to take.  Almost everything that everyone has already posted would be among the top of my list.  But I guess if I had to choose only one performance, it would have to be Olivier as Hamlet.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2004, 08:28:40 AM »

On the subject of steak tartare:

When I was a but a wee sprig of a lad, I enjoyed my mother's meatloaf before it was cooked as much as I did after.

(Before you faint away on that, remember ours was a Jewish household, so there was no raw pork in the mix.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 08:30:23 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2004, 08:29:37 AM »

Lovely posts so early in the morning.  I had one final AOL mishap when I tried to launch this morning it wouldn't.  I called, got a tech who knew what they were doing, we uninstalled the AOL adaptor (something that ALWAYS causes trouble and is the first thing they do if someone is having problems) and that did the trick.  Thirty seconds from start to finish.  

Of course, we're doing performers not necessarily shows today, but I'm loving your choices.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the original company of Follies, the original company of A Chorus Line (many times), the original 1776 and Promises.  Gypsy and Merman would be number one for me, too, and even though I saw him do it in the round in the mid-sixties, my second choice would be Mr. Robert Weede in the original production of The Most Happy Fella, and my third choice would be Mr. Preston in The Music Man and my fourth choice which probably would move up to my third choice one hour from now would be Judy Holliday in Bells are Ringing.

Jay

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2004, 08:31:46 AM »

"Struck gay."

Sounds downright biblical.

Jay

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2004, 08:35:45 AM »

I suppose it would be interesting to see Duse or Bernhardt in something and see firsthand the work that precipitated the reputation they have to this day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2004, 08:39:39 AM »

I was going to say "Follies" too.  Every time I see the show (3), I'm left unsatisfied.  The score is SO wonderful, but something about the lead characters, who seem to me to have done some pretty exciting things in their lives, regretting their life choices - always rubs me the wrong way.  Then, inevitably, some older person tells me I should've seen the original Broadway production.  It's hard to imagine how I'd feel differently, but I'd love to use that time machine to confirm it.

I'm with you on this, Noel.  I've come to the conclusion that Follies is very much a show of its time and had to be seen within the zeitgeist in which it originally played.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2004, 08:45:30 AM »

Having seen it (Follies) originally and in several incarnations thereafter (most recently the awful Roundabout revival) I tend to agree with Dan.  It was just a perfect melding of cast, director, choreographer, score and book (yes, book) - somehow it all just fell together even though the book was not quite up to the score - it just worked.  It was and probably always will remain the most exciting thing I've ever seen on stage.  It was brilliant.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2004, 08:51:34 AM »

I'd go back to April 19, 1961 and see Judy at Carnegie Hall.  It's not quite      Broadway show but it was supposed to be one of the the most magical nights on any stage ever.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2004, 08:51:46 AM »

DR Dan, yes, Omarossa was the perfect villainess, but I got so sick of her defensive "I'm black, so if you're calling me a moron or lazy, it's because you're a racist" act.   With those camers checking on her every move, she would never have won because her act was too apparent to Trump and the producers, but I wish they'd kept her around to let her hang herself some more.

Hopefully, we will see that happen on the live finale in April!

So who do you think would be the best one for Troy and Kwame to pull over next week?

How do you know who will be the leaders?

I think the key is 1) if someone makes a serious mistake take them in.

But I think the real key is TO TAKE YOUR FRIEND IN WITH YOU.

Most people leave their friend out. What you need to do is bring your friend into the boardroom and both of you blame the third person.

Whoops!  What I meant was in the forming of the new teams, who will Troy and Kwame draft from the other side to equalize the numbers.  Going by the preview, it doesn't look like it will be either Amy or Katrina, since we hear A. dissing K. about using the sex angle again.  I think if Troy and Kwame pick Nick, it will be to break up whatever alliance Nick might have going with Amy and to have a scapegoat to pull up to the boardroom.  On the other hand, if they pull over Bill, the other team will be somewhat frictioned by having Katrina feeling even more excluded because of Nick and Amy.  It should be interesting, in any case...

-- Anaïs Nin

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2004, 08:55:08 AM »

Merman in GYPSY and i would get someone to video the whole thing for posterity. I would also make sure that she got the movie .
FOLLIES  definitely.

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE..although i saw all nine perfomances.

Opera----SALOME and GIANNI SCHICCHI when Ljuba Welitsch-Fritz Reiner and Italo Tajo all made there debuts at The Metropolitan Opera.

And LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT-A beathtaking remarkable play .

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2004, 09:05:47 AM »

BK-

This is too good a subject for a Saturday or Sunday.Perhaps you can ask it again on Monday?

What say?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2004, 09:21:24 AM »

Forgot to mention that I started KRITZER TIME and so far it as good as --- if not better than (which would be difficult) --- the first two books.  More sometime next week when I finish (unlike other DRs I have too much to do to stop everything and read, and besides I enjoy spreading out the pleasure over a few days.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2004, 09:52:35 AM »

Going back in time I would love to see Miyoshi Umeki in FLOWER DRUM SONG! I think seeing her live would have been something!

I would also enjoy seeing Keith Andes in WILDCAT with Lucille Ball or in KISS ME KATE or MAN OF LAMANCHA.

Bevan

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2004, 10:12:56 AM »

DR Bevan, your post came in at 5 am or so?  Are you partying too hard in the Midwest?  Is it spring break?  I'm back to a normal schedule, which means up between 6:30 and 7:30, thank God!

Well, actually, I've been on an extended spring break.  In December, I came down with mono, which has been making its rounds among college freshmen throughout Ohio.  And apparently, I didn't quite heal from it completely by the time I ventured back to school in January.  I started straight into workshop rehearsals for a musical (White Rose), along with an 18 credit schedule), and wore myself down to a point of utter exhaustion.  Then I came down with strep on top of the mono.

By February 3 (closing night of White Rose), there was no way that I could continue classes.  Hell, I could barely get out of bed.  So I was forced to withdraw from school for the remainder of winter quarter, and journey home to recover.  I start back at school March 30th.

My friends are finally home on spring break this week, so last night we lived it up a little :D, though I certainly don't make a habit of staying out till the wee hours of the morning ;D.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 10:20:26 AM by Bevan »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2004, 10:50:13 AM »

In no particular order, these are just a few of the performers that I'd love to have seen live:

Both Topol and Paul Sorvino and Patti LuPone in The Baker's Wife
Patti LuPone in Evita and Sunset Boulevard
Robert Prestion in Mack and Mabel [his last Broadway musical]
Everyone in Follies (both the original Broadway cast and the 1985 concert cast)
Elaine Stritch in Company (her career-defining role) and At Liberty
Everyone in Nick & Nora
Betty Buckley in the London Promises, Promises
Laurie Beechman in anything
Lee Remick and Angela Lansbury in Anyone Can Whistle
Angela Lansbury in Dear World
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 10:50:45 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

Panni, Olivier did tape his DANCE OF DEATH, which I have seen and "trapped panther" is an apt description.  I remember being blown away by it.  Last year in London (about exactly this time last year...we left London the day after the Iraq war started), I was really looking forward to seeing Ian McKellen do the play, who I thought would be terrific.  But his version did not stand up to Olivier's and I was somewhat disappointed in it on the whole.

MBarnum, I had the good fortune to see Keith Andes do MAN OF LA MANCHA on tour many years ago.  My first LA MANCHA.

Speaking of the Iraq War, we now learn that Rumsfeld wanted to bomb Iraq the day after 9/11, because there weren't "any good targets in Afganistan, but there were lots of good targets in Iraq".  This despite all the intelligence agencies were telling him Iraq had nothing to do with AlQaida or 9/11.

Am I the only one who is seriously disturbed by the fact that there seems to be a large segment of the American Public that thinks lying about a bj in the Oval Office is worst that lying about foreign and domestic policy.

Interesting quote from the French Foreign Mininster today:  "A year ago, there was no terrorism in Iraq, now it's one of the main sources of terrorism."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »

Good morning all!
Well, I just finished reading Krizter Time.  A perfect ending to the triology, I must say.  I won't give any details here because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it, or haven't finished it yet.  
Now I will go write a review for amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. as per bk's request.  
Anyone who hasn't read it yet...you are in for a treat.  

Jed

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2004, 11:12:53 AM »

Hoping the mailman may have a little something from the world of Kritzer for me today.  If not, it should be here Monday, but hoping for today!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »

I have to agree with WEL, seeing Judy Live at Carnegie Hall would have been an incredible experience!

Gwen Verdon in Damn Yankees
Mary Martin in South Pacific
Martin and Preston in I Do, I Do!
Daniel Massey and Barbara Cook in She Loves Me!
The Original Off-Broadway Cast of The Fanatsticks
Angela Lansbury in Mame and / or Gypsy
Robert Preston and Barbara Cook in The Music Man
Uta Hagen and Arthur Hill in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

BTW: (By the way in internet lingo) How expensive is it to run this time machine?  Is it fuel-efficient?  Is it environmentally safe?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2004, 12:13:54 PM »

I'm not sure it's fair to dismiss Steak Tartare simply as "seasoned hamburger."  
They then to into their recipe, which specifically calls for top sirloin, not just any ground beef.  (Fat ratios are different from cut to cut; top sirloin is quite lean - think of it as tofu that tastes good!)

I must admit, often hamburger in our house was ground sirloin.  So to me it tasted like raw, seasoned hamburger.

As for tofu that tastes good-Ha! Ha!  I will take tofu anyday, especially the way Keith cooks it. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2004, 12:17:38 PM »

One recent performance I wish I had seen was my favorite Ruthie Henshall, in one of my favorite shows, SHE LOVES ME.

And on the subject of the Apprentice, Dan The Man wrote:
Whoops!  What I meant was in the forming of the new teams, who will Troy and Kwame draft from the other side to equalize the numbers.  Going by the preview, it doesn't look like it will be either Amy or Katrina, since we hear A. dissing K. about using the sex angle again.  I think if Troy and Kwame pick Nick, it will be to break up whatever alliance Nick might have going with Amy and to have a scapegoat to pull up to the boardroom.  On the other hand, if they pull over Bill, the other team will be somewhat frictioned by having Katrina feeling even more excluded because of Nick and Amy.  It should be interesting, in any case...

Ah I see. Um I don't think I saw the preview (I don't think the Canadian affiliate shows them).  If I were Troy and Kwame (sp?) I would probably take Amy since she has never lost.  If I wanted a scapegoat I would probably choose Katrina. I think they will probably just choose whoever they think they can work with the best (who they like the best).

Oh and I saw that website. What the heck is that? She must have a real website somewhere?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:18:56 PM by Jennifer »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2004, 12:22:56 PM »

Performances I'd love to go back and see:

Ethel Merman as Mama Rose in "Gypsy"
Robert Preston/Barbara Cook as Harold Hill/Marian Paroo in "The Music Man"
Barbara Cook as Amalia  in "She Loves Me"
Angela Lansbury as "Mame"
Mary Martin and Robert Preston in "I Do, I Do"
Tom Bosley in "Fiorello"

Opening nights I'd love to have witnessed:
Mary Martin in opening night of "South Pacific"
Ethel Merman in opening night of "Annie Get Your Gun"
Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly"
Barbra Streisand in "Funny Girl"
"Follies"
"A Little Night Music"
"Sweeney Todd"
"Into the Woods"
"My Fair Lady"
"Candide" (1956 and 1973)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2004, 12:34:04 PM »

Charles Pogue, in answer to today’s question, the first two names that popped into my head were Barrymore and Plummer.  

George when we lived in New Jersey I constantly heard commercials for Evita,with Patti LuPone singing, and wanted to see the show but couldn’t.

Most of all I would like to have seen a production of THE MIRACLE with Lady Diana (Manners Cooper) and then met my grandfather who was the stage manager.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2004, 12:49:11 PM »

I would love to see Gwen and Chita in the original Chicago.  Or Gwen in... well, anything ;D

AH!  It's Bevan!  Bevan, when did you register?  

I don't know if he has already mentioned this, but Bevan is also a Sondheim.com member.

If I could go back in time, I would probably see the original production of "Merrily We Roll Along".  "Merrily" is my favorite musical, and I think that the story of its creation is incredibly moving.  Seeing the original production would have made last year's reunion so much more powerful.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jane

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2004, 12:49:16 PM »

GOOD VIBES to our new DR Bevan for a healthy return to school.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »

I'd go back to April 19, 1961 and see Judy at Carnegie Hall.  It's not quite      Broadway show but it was supposed to be one of the the most magical nights on any stage ever.

Not Liza and Judy at the Palladium?!
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

Whew!

Thanks to all the DR's for the good wishes last night.  They indeed worked.  It was a fine show, a good audience, and a nice party.  In fact, the audience got into the spirit of things and did the callbacks when "Lucy" sang Babalu and applauded when she came out for the "I Love Lucy" filming at her introduction....  Yes I thought it was a good show, we are sold out tonight and close to selling out tomorrow, so the money will be nice for the theatre.  And I got lots of kisses on my opening!  LOL DRelmore.

NOW....I am reading Kritzer Time.  Yes, you read it here....I am reading Kritzer Time and I will finish it tonight after the show.  It is a delight, and as Benjamin has matured, so has his "writing."  I perfect and welcome sequel to the first two BK tomes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up