Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BUSY LITTLE DAY  (Read 18383 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: BUSY LITTLE DAY
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Next I watched another NCIS episode from the fifth season set. In this one, Gibbs' ex-wife is implicated in a murder though it's clear she didn't do it. All of the stuff with Jethro's love life always bores me silly, but the central mystery was good.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

This week we did Tuesday and Friday making for a most atypical week.

And just how long will it take you to recover from this break in your routine :D

der Brucer

It gave me hives, but they usually go away in a few days.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »

Next I scanned through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. I knew the boys weren't going to be on, and they weren't in the previews either.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »

I finished my afternoon by watching the last half hour of the BIOGRAPHY episode on Mickey Rooney. All those marriages! All those kids! Sheesh!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »

I'm not sure how many fans there are here of PUSHING DAISIES. But they are airing the last episodes starting this saturday night.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It won't be showing here in the Pacific Northwest!! :'( This weekend is the "Celebration of Real Miracles Special" Fundraiser, sort of like the MDA telethon, but for a children's hospital in Seattle.  WOULD SOMEONE BE SO KIND AS TO RECORD "PUSHING DAISIES" FOR ME??  It's not being rebroadcast, at all.  And although I will be able to (finally) watch it on-line on my new computer, I have a couple of friends who were expecting me to make DVDs of this...and since they live in the area also, they are going to miss it, too.

I can do it, but I hope someone else with a DVR/DVD burner will also at least record the show, too. With the sporadic rainstorms we've been having, sometimes the cable reception goes wonky, and although usually the ABC station isn't the one affected, it would be just my luck this time if it were the one. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Matt!! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »

I have to say that I've watched the video of CATS more than JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR or JOSEPH. With real dancers, it can be a fun if forgettable show. I just never understand why it was such a sensation or had such a long run.

I never understood why they would film Cats on a proscenium stage and not try to approximate the original environmental stage. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »

Topic of the Day:  nothing, except the soundtrack to Tom Jones!

Kerry

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2009, 01:57:18 PM »

And what's scary about the non-Union tour is that some of those "Cats" on stage weren't born until Cats was well into it's then-record-breaking run.
And, yes, the current set - for better or worse - is inflatable.
Thanks, Jose-- I was wondering what it looked like.
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »

Each time I got dragged kicking and screaming to CATS on B'way, I anticipated the show pretty much the same way that DR Ben feels about it.  But each time I cam away completely entranced, having surrendered to the atmosphere of the show as a whole.

However, about two or three years ago I saw a touring company in Philly.  It turned out to be the non-equity, cut-rate version of the show.  Awful wasn't the word!  Aside from the cheap-o looking set and the shaggy costumes, the cast was primarily composed of posers who never danced a lick but just pranced across the stage and behaved in kitty-cat manners.  Meh!  and Feh!

This is what I'm most afraid of with the tour that's coming here to Olympia. :-\

I saw the inflatable set a few years ago, it wasn't as bad as one might think.  I have a soft spot for the show, as it's the very first Broadway show I ever saw, and I didn't want to see it!!  I had seen a tour in 1991 and was bored as all hell.  My friend Mark INSISTED I saw the Broadway production, and that's why I went.  Now, I try and catch it whenever it comes around as I fell in love with the show.  So, the set is inflatable, the actors are young, but it's still Cats and I'll never forget the Broadway experience.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »

Well, I have some computer chores to take care of, and then I'll head back down to watch THE BETRAYED (Melissa George, one of my least favorite actresses, is in it). After that, I'll select a Blu-ray or an HD-DVD to finish out my evening. I have a sizable stack of each flavor of high def discs that need to be winnowed down.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »

Casualties of the CA budget crisis:

Summer Schools

Music, Arts, Crafts, and PE Classes

Poison Control Center

Elimination of the adult day-care program in its entirety

Elimination of a caregiver program that helps the severely disabled, such as people with traumatic brain injuries.

Eliminate the state's welfare program

Dropping 1 million poor children from health insurance

Cutting off new grants for college students

Shutting down 80 percent of state parks

Among the possibilities is a 10% reduction in court funding as well as slashing $600 million from state universities and $750 million from the state prisons, mostly from programs designed to rehabilitate inmates.

Mass transit funding would take a $315 million hit in the new plan; roads and other transportation projects would lose an additional $242 million.

Community mental health (prevention, early intervention, education and training programs) has gobs of money,  funded by a millionaire's surtax,  that can't be touched; likewise the Early Childhood Development Programs and anti-smoking programs funded by a Tobacco tax. The voters just turned down initiatives that would have let the state borrow these funds for more pressing health needs.

(But because of Federal orders, they are still planning on spending almost 2 Billion to build two new prison facilities for the sick and mentally ill.)

der Brucer
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:48:27 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DAW

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »

Yes.  And California won't be able to count on any further money from the gay wedding industry.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2009, 03:08:28 PM »

Last night's volunteer appreciation dinner at WCPA:

Announcing one of the shows for next season:

Cats (I've never seen this live)

I could say many things

such as

It might sound better if you're dead

or

I'll have another order of Ground Glass and then could you pound some nails into my eardrums please?

I think I'll go with the last one  8)

I actually like the score for Cats - even if 80% of it is self-recycled-ALW, and the remaining 20% is recycled-Meyerbeer and Puccini.  And I still remember being kind of disappointed when I saw the show live oh so many years ago.  All that fuss over a tire!  ;)

*Oh, and I believe the current tour only travels with three musicians... And an inflatable set.

Well, that could be reason enough to see the show again with a blowpipe and a dozen darts!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2009, 03:08:40 PM »

Yes.  And California won't be able to count on any further money from the gay wedding industry.

Doesn't that prove there's a God?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »

PAGE TWO

Is there an echo in here?  :D

Bad timing, I guess.   I always figured the "page announcement" was the prerogative of the person making the first post, but it's not a rule or anythingl

I'm sorry.  Did I break tradition or step on someone's toes?
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »

I too was lucky that I didn't have to pay to see CATS. I was reviewing it for my radio show that I had at that time. I think this was sit down in Montreal for awhile but I am not 100% sure.

I remember at the intermission I saw another entertainment personality and he asked me
"Michael is that it for Memory. It was very short" (A short version is sung right at the end of Act 1)
I told him, "No the full version is sung later" and his reply "You mean I have to sit through Act 2 just here that song?!"
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

If any DR happens to know of anyone looking for a nice-sized and sunny room or two here in New York City, here's the link to the ad I just placed on Craigslist: THE LINK.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »

OK... Time to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »

Very sorry to hear that 1940s actress Jane Randolph passed away at her summer home in Switzerland.

Evidently she broke her hip and was convalescing when she decided to get out of bed. She fell and broke her other hip and died from complications. She was 90.

She will be well remembered by HHWers for her lead roles in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN as well as both of Val Lewton's THE CAT PEOPLE movies.

George

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

That's very sad, MBarnum.  And sounds very painful.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »

CATS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »

The voters just turned down initiatives that would have let the state borrow fromthese funds for more pressing health needs.

Oh, yes...borrow from those funds and from the state lottery funds...which is political code for "and we will never spend another tax dollar on these programs again because we can raid other funds."

No.  The BUCK stops!  The state government has GOT to use the money we pay out in billions to balance the budget and fund state programs.  Period.   Over and Out!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

Two hours of my life I won't get back.

Oh, were you trying to get a printer to work, too?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »

It was a beautiful 80 degree day, and I am barbecuing gourmet burgers on the grill.
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »

I'll be right over, DR TCB.     :D

DAW

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:53 PM »

***ROOMMATE SEEKING VIBES***
for DR JoseSPiano!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »

I'll be right over, DR TCB.     :D

I didn't buy buns, so you will have to bring your own.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »

Very sorry to hear that 1940s actress Jane Randolph passed away at her summer home in Switzerland.

Evidently she broke her hip and was convalescing when she decided to get out of bed. She fell and broke her other hip and died from complications. She was 90.

She will be well remembered by HHWers for her lead roles in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN as well as both of Val Lewton's THE CAT PEOPLE movies.

Very sad, Mike.  She was quite beautiful.  Did you ever interview her?
“One thing’s universal,

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »

I am so happy it's Friday.

I refuse to do anything this weekend that I don't want to. (except laundry).

"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up