Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT  (Read 22085 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: A FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »

I went to get an oil change and came home with a new car!

What?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2009, 12:09:17 PM »

As much as I keep trying to get rid of things I no longer want to dust.  They keep multiplying everytime I move or move things around.   And I know exactly how many car loads of stuff I've already taken to Out of the Closet, so where is it still coming from.

Moved the computer out of the bedroom (can't stay up till midnight anymore), I need to get a least 7 hours of sleep to function at work.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

www.nohoartsdistrict.com , is the website for NoHo, which is where the First Nudie Musical theatre is located.  Just in case you have a HHW get together.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »

I live really close by, but work 8 hr days the 15th and 16th.  The 14th is an all day fundraiser I've already paid for in Angelino Heights for my friends production company.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Betsy's brother's wife's family owns a lot (and I mean a LOT) of property in NoHo.  When I first met her other brother and his family, who are in the film/tv biz, they were living in one of the many apartment houses in NoHo that the Kornblums own.  Ah, the life of the indolent rich.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Sam

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »

I remember Lankershim Blvd., from being a teenager and sneaking into the El Portal as a movie theatre.  I don't remember much else other than the 70's and 80's had a real down turn.  Now it has become popular again and the apt's are too expensive for me to move into.  So I ended up in Studio City instead last December.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:54:05 PM by Sam »

Sam

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »

My PO box is at the Chandler Post Office, which is still in really good historical condition.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

I guess Atlas Shrugged would fit the TOD, although it was firmly based in some type of reality....hmmmmmmmm.....

Well, it was "futuristic" fiction when it was published, but today, sadly, it reads like a history.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Sam

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »

Better get back to moving things around.

Glorious Saturday vibes for all.

Topic of the Day:  My kid would read like a bottomless pit when she was younger.  It started with the series Goosebumps,  and then reading took on a life of it's own.  We had so many books within a few years that when her elementary school opened the new library, we filled several shelves with donated paperbacks.  She still reads fantasy every chance she gets.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »

Looks like a busy June.

June is Bustin' Out All Over

(A song of adolescence cut from Gypsy)

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »

DR Cillaliz - congratulations on your new car!  Sounds like an offer you just couldn't refuse!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »

...major FU

It's Doctor FU

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

DR Ben - congratulations on becoming the presentation go-to guy at your workplace.  It's always a good idea to make oneself indispensable!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I did make another stop back at Academy this morning, and I came away with another $100+.  -And considering that I only ever bought CDs on sale and/or with a coupon, I'm pretty sure I only lost about half of what I paid for them in the first place.  Not a bad return at all.  :)

*I mentioned to the buyer that I might be down a couple more times with a couple(!) more items. He said that if I had a good amount of CDs, that I could arrange for a "house call": they'd come to the apartment, look over what I have, give me a $$ and then take them away for me.  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »

And since City Bakery is just across the street from Academy, I went ahead and had lunch there instead of foraging and gathering in the Union Square Greenmarket.  They had a great salad made with sweet potatoes with grilled pineapple.  Total YUM!

*And, for the first time in a long time, I savored a cup of City Bakery's practically world-famous hot chocolate.  Ooohh sooooo goooood!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

And then I did end up heading over to the Union Square Greenmarket.  I just browsed and browsed and browsed... for almost three hours. :)

It was sunny enough to keep things bright, and cloudy and breezy enough to keep things on the cool side.  A perfect day for marketing. And for taking pictures too.

And, yes, for sampling some radishes, snap peas, apples, asparagus, yogurt, goat milk, cheeses, cherry juice, rosemary-lemon sorbet...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:25 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I did make another stop back at Academy this morning, and I came away with another $100+.  -And considering that I only ever bought CDs on sale and/or with a coupon, I'm pretty sure I only lost about half of what I paid for them in the first place.  Not a bad return at all.  :)

*I mentioned to the buyer that I might be down a couple more times with a couple(!) more items. He said that if I had a good amount of CDs, that I could arrange for a "house call": they'd come to the apartment, look over what I have, give me a $$ and then take them away for me.  Hmmm...

I don't know what time you were there but we probably just missed you. We had some errands to run and then went to Academy. Yes, that feeling when you walk out with the cash is nice. We haven't taken the store credit usually because we have so many CDs that using the credit to buy more isn't what we need, besides the cash is easier to use at a place like City Bakery. They don't look well on paying for a hot chocolate with a copy of LoveMusik

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Congrats on the new Wheels!  Did you get the same color?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I don't know what time you were there but we probably just missed you. We had some errands to run and then went to Academy. Yes, that feeling when you walk out with the cash is nice. We haven't taken the store credit usually because we have so many CDs that using the credit to buy more isn't what we need, besides the cash is easier to use at a place like City Bakery. They don't look well on paying for a hot chocolate with a copy of LoveMusik

...And I did walk out with cash today since they had run out of checks - well, signed ones at least.  And I since I received a check yesterday, I believe I might have contributed to that "deficit".

I think I got there around 11:30, and left right around Noon.  Are there any particular OCRs that you'd like to find in the Academy bins one day, DR Ben? ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:41:12 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

DR Cillaliz - congratulations on your new car!  Sounds like an offer you just couldn't refuse!

It really was. I planned to see what I could get for my car (I checked the blue book value before I went) and really wanted to look at a 2010 Prius. (they are completely different cars than this model - but weren't in yet) I didn't plan to buy, but when he put the numbers in front of me I just couldn't see a good argument for not buying now. I called my dad and my brother and even ran it past the people at the post office. (two of the employees had very recently taken advantage of similar deals and gotten new cars) Eveyrone agreed that I shouldn't pass this deal up.  I'm now very glad I got it. 

DAW

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »

Congratulations on your new car and a great deal, DR Cillaliz!     :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Congrats on the new Wheels!  Did you get the same color?

Yup, it's black and from the outside looks exactly like my old car (minus some scratches and a couple dings on the old one)  it has upgraded wheels, but I'm not sure anyone would really notice that. My neighbor couldn't even tell, lol.  The interior color is the same too and the interior looks a lot like the old car.  It isn't until you realize the seats are leather and see all the gadgets that you realize this is definitely a nicer car.

DAW

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »

And speaking of great deals...

The new cast recording of West Side Story is released this coming week.  And if you buy from Barnes and Noble - sorry, DR td! - you get three exclusive bonus tracks.  $9.99 [or $8.99 if you are a member].

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

I'm watching the replay of the Scripps Howard Spelling Bee on ESPN2... And I'm a little "upset" at how some of the musical and culinary terms are being pronounced.  I'm guessing they totally Americanize the pronunciation of any foreign words.  -The last syllable of the "amarevole" is not pronounced "lee"; i it should be more like "lay" or "leh".
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »

Congratulations on your new car and a great deal, DR Cillaliz!     :)

Thanks... you and your new wheels were one of my inspirations

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »

bk - Just remember, the workers are working according to their schedule, not yours.  -But I'm sure you already know that.  And, who knows? -If you happen to go over there and confront them in person, they might end up truly adjusting their schedule to your schedule, if you get my drift.

*Just liken it to recording an album: First you make some noise (singing, playing, recording), and then you're quiet for a bit (listening, playback, editing).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »

I also paid my respects, as it were, to the Virgin Megastore at Union Square.  The signs say they are going into their last week, and that everything is now 40%-off.  There is a lot of stock left on the shelves - I'm guessing they consolidated a bunch of the stuff from the now-closed Times Square location. Of course, since that's 40% off of the list price, it's basically Amazon pricing. ;) However, since the electronics and accessories are also 40% off, there are some pretty good deals in that department.

*However, I was tempted to buy one of the many(!) 5-disc CD changers they used for the in-house sound system.  They're going for $30 each.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »

This just in...

Susan Boyle came in second.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »