Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAZIEST GUY IN TOWN  (Read 15954 times)

FJL

Re: THE LAZIEST GUY IN TOWN
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »

I've been E&T today, but finally caught up.  :)

Laura

« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

I'm afraid my DH isn't the romantic kind of guy. What he does that is very sweet is he brings me flowers whenever s a friend complains about his wife. He said his friends remind him how lucky he is.

I know I am a very lucky gal.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »

Der B decided that, since no one has yet reported on UP, we should see that today.

So we did.

He's less enthusiastic about the film than I am.  He simply didn't find it engaging.  What he did find it was slow, particularly in the beginning.  And it is.  It's about an octogenarian, fer cryin' out loud!  He's also guaranteeing that too many little kids are going to be asking their parents questions, about a shot of Carl and Ellie at the doctor's office.  I think he's overly worried.

Once the house takes flight, however, the film does as well.  There are insurmountable obsticles to be surmounted, improbable friendships to be probabled, and...

AND THERE'S NO COMMUNITY TO DEAL WITH!

IN A PIXAR FILM!

It's about Carl and Russell, the young stowaway, out in the wilds of Venezuela.  No civilization, just Carl, Russell, a strange bird named Kevin, an equally strange dog named Dug, and an explorer even older than Carl who is out to prove he isn't a fraud.

It is wildly improbable, and what everyone does (and is able to do) is wildly improbable, but it still grabbed me and choked me up in places.  And it's those places that choked me up that made it all worthwhile.

Is it as good as...?

Wait a second, why play the "such-and-such was better" game.  I liked the film for what it was, a chance to go on an adventure.

Beyond that, more of the crew will have to see the film before I can say more.  I think I've kept the spoilers to a minimum, no more than has already been in print elsewhere (and hopefully less).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »

The most romantic evening of my life was also the most painful.  The great love of my life was a married man.  Sorry, I am not proud of that part, but it is true.  He and his wife had a son, and my lover told me from the beginning that he would never leave his wife as long as his son was still in the home.  He also told me that the only person he ever said "I love you" was to his son; not to his wife and never to me.  One beautiful romantic evening after we had been together for two years, he took me in his arms and said, "I love you, Tom".

It was the happiest moment of my life, but I think I knew the moment that he said the words, that it was the beginning of the end for us.  He started being a little more distant to me, finding reasons not to be able to come over.  He was the vice president of a very large bank in Seattle.  One evening he came over and told me that he had quit his job, and that he and his wife and his son were moving out of Seattle and settling near the coast so that he could help his dad run his business.  I never saw him again
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »

I had a very busy and good day..  I knew it would be busy, but it was better than I thought it would be

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »

BK, romance is not very easy to discuss.  There's something ineffable about it, that putting into words somehow doesn't convey what was there, and usually makes the whole romance seem, well, silly.

Take, for instance, Sunday In the Park With George.  That show has been a touchstone for der B and myself through the twenty-four years we've been together.  Listening to the score together.  Watching the filmed performances by Peters and Patinkin together.  Going to see it at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera (and taking the bus downtown, because the car wasn't working, and then taking the bus back only to discover the driver was only going part of the way before quitting and having to walk the rest of the way home).  Going to see the actual painting on our first visit to Chicago.

For that matter, going to museums together, which we've done a lot.

It isn't what took place, really, it was the "together" that held the romance.

OK, spoiler time, about UP.  Sorry, have to do it.

Ready?  When you go to see UP, Russell has something to say about the boring things.  That's all I'm gonna tell ya.  It'll make sense.  Really.

You can return to your computers now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

TOD - It was a Friday evening at the end of a very long workweek for both Richard and myself, almost 29 years ago.  We'd been dating, officially, for almost 2 years and had known each other for more than 7.  He came to my apartment for dinner and I'd spattered the front of my sweats with beef stew.  In the course of the after-dinner conversation, he proposed.  No violins, no Eiffel Tower, but still the most romantic evening of my life.

And a total surprise!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:13:21 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »

I only came up with a few measly TOD ideas, and when I wrote them down, they seemed really lame.

DAW

« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »

I updated my phone's operating system.

It's a post.

DAW

« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »

It isn't what took place, really, it was the "together" that held the romance.

I concur.

DAW

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »

DR George, I'm going to assume that I can erase the Pushing Daisies finale from my DVR once I've watched it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

Also more fascinating that no one here seems to have ever had a romantic evening.  You know, special person, special meal, dancing - you've seen movies, I'm sure, so I'm equally sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've never had what could be called a "romantic" evening.  I've certainly gone on dates and enjoyed the evenings, but I've never gone dancing or to a "special" restaurant on a date.  I also like what Woody wrote, "It isn't what took place, really, it was the "together" that held the romance."  When "romantic" dates are shown on TV shows or in the movies, it all just seems so artificial (to me).  I don't think you can really create romance, it just happens...and can happen anywhere and at any time because you're with the person you want to be with. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »

DR George, I'm going to assume that I can erase the Pushing Daisies finale from my DVR once I've watched it.

Yes.  Thanks for the back-up plan! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »

Is DR JoseSPiano perhaps taking Prince Harry on a foodie walking tour in NYC tonight?

DAW

« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »

Could that be considered a romantic evening?

DAW

« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

Thanks for the back-up plan!

You're quite welcome!!   Any time!!   [a William Finn reference]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »

Good Evening!

I walked. I ate. I took pictures.  In other words: the usual.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:32 PM »

Time to head to my sister's for more new house setting-up.  I don't know how long I'll have to be there tonight, but hopefully not for more than a couple of hours...we'll see.

Until later!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »

Is DR JoseSPiano perhaps taking Prince Harry on a foodie walking tour in NYC tonight?

No. No Prince Harry.

But I did guide my friend, Allen, through the streets of Chinatown for a few hours. Mini-custard buns, banh mi, fresh sugar cane juice, still warm dou hua (fresh tofu pudding) drizzled with ginger syrup, pork and chive dumplings (five for $1)...  And we even looped up to Houston Street to stop into Russ & Daughters where the kind gentleman behind the counter offered us a sample of their "Pastrami Salmon" - Like buttah!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2009, 05:52:15 PM »

I'm watching "I'm A Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here!"...

Well, I was watching "I'm A Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here!".

Oy!

Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2009, 05:53:04 PM »

Hello, everyone.

In my next life I hope to have a brother like DR GEORGE.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »

At the rate my house-hunting is going it'll be my next life before I have another house.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »

Could that be considered a romantic evening?

Probably not.  However... (And I think I've told this story before, but...)

Running into the apartment after a day of work at the music store... Running to the CD player and putting on Ella Fitzgerald's version of "This Time the Dream's On Me"... Then slow-dancing in the kitchen with Steve.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »

I'm tired. Can you tell?

(Hey, it's a post.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »

From the "I'll have what she's having" Department.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »

Congrats to Cillaliz on her new car!

Congrats to Vixmom on her patience and perseverence and being able to be back at work!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »

From the "I'll have what she's having" Department.

;D

The torso may be modeled after Daniel Craig, but Mr Craig is far better looking than that!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »

In the planning stages - making muffins.

Alton Brown's recomendations about muffin storage in I'm Just Here for More Food (his book on baking) strike me as about right:

"Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week or until they taste gross, smell bad, or grow fur."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2009, 06:03:53 PM »

I wonder if DR Jane will be rejoining us soon. Her house must be very clean indeed by now.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »

Speaking of muffins, I had some "brownie muffins" recently. They were goooood! Not surprisingly, more brownie than muffin. It was at an eatery that BK doesn't like.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up