Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: AOHELL  (Read 33814 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:AOHELL
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2004, 09:38:41 PM »

Maybe everyone's name doesn't have to start with a "P"....perhaps we can just end everyone's name with an "O"

Kimmel-O, Jenny-O, TCB-O, RLP-O

Me-O, My-O!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2004, 09:44:06 PM »

I don't understand why people aren't posting til the cows come home.  I always have the most time for my message boards on saturday nights...does that tell you something about my social life?
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2004, 09:44:41 PM »

100 posts.  Nothing happened. :(
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jenny

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2004, 09:46:08 PM »

Wow!  At 101 posts I became a full member!  I like that.  You're expecting it at 100, and it doesn't happen, and you're disappointed, but then 101 comes and all is well!  

I'm content.

So I shall go to bed.

Goodnight, fair wussburgers.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2004, 10:01:43 PM »

The lovely wife and I were sitting on the balcony, sipping some excellent wine (Me, an Argentinian Malbec; her, a California Reisling), watching the sunset, listening to BOYS FROM SYRACUSE.  As I was chortling to Mr. Hart's clever, risque lyric, "...All night they bring rich men to grief, till they have no cash left, Cops can't afford the good roast beef, but still we have the hash left",  I commented to my lovely wife that if Stephen Sondheim had one flaw, it was his seeming diminishment and dismissal of Mr. Hart in comparison to his spiritual father and mentor, Mr. Hammerstein.  Now over the years I've become a lot fonder of Mr. Hammerstein (there are few lyrics more perfect than "the sun is swimming on the rim of a hill"), but I've always preferred Mr. Hart.  I can certainly understand Mr. Sondheim's loyalty and preference to Mr. Hammerstein over Mr. Hart.  But what I find somewhat amusing and ironic about Mr. Sondheim's apparent disdain for Mr. Hart is that I find his style, sensibility, and intricateness much closer to Hart than Hammerstein.

I know we have lots of Sondheim mavens on this board.  Any thoughts or comments about this?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2004, 10:10:17 PM »

Well, I'm sure glad I quoted my sources :)

For the benefit of all, the Acknowledgements at the begining of "Thou Swell Thou Witty" conclude with:

"And lastly, very special thanks to Michael Colby, whose enthusiasm and dedication to the theatre are so reminiscent of the young Larry Hart's."

Splendid praise, indeed.

der Brucer (who acquired the book whilst gathering data for a potential show on Dorothy Hart SWW is dreaming of writing )
Huh?  Dorothy FIELDS, dear der Brucer, Dorothy FIELDS!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2004, 10:17:05 PM »

And it's der Brucer's fault that neither I nor he have posted more today.  He was expecting a phone call, which never came, and thus he laid down the law that we couldn't tie up the phone today.

BORING!

Time to see what else I can dig up around town...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2004, 10:27:24 PM »

Thanks for the congratulatory remarks!

DerBrucer, thanks for the info! I had never heard that diet soda was bad for people, but I just wanted to pass along the "warning." I guess my parents were able to use it as an excuse (even though they really believed it) to get my brother to stop drinking so much soda. He drinks entirely too much--silly boy. :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2004, 10:30:09 PM »

Good Morning!

OMG!  It is technically "morning" here on the East Coast!

Let's see... I got to the theatre around 10:30am.  Finally got the keyboard set up by 11:30am.  Started programming... and programming... and programming...  Then realized that the last person who programmed this keyboard (it most certainly was not I!) had customized some of the defaults and macros - which explained why none of the programming I had done thus far was "taking"... So, I had to reset the keyboard and reload all the standard defaults and programs... Then I started - again - programming... and programming... and programming...  And I left the theatre around 12:30am.  Ah, well.

Thankfully, the "learning curve" period I had expected was on schedule so to speak - it always just takes some time getting used to a particular set-up.  And once I realized and remedied the major obstacle, the programming progressed nicely.  Unfortunately, by its very nature, programming is not a "fast art".  But I'm moving as fast as I can.  -Let's just say, that with this book - which is nicely orchestrated by BK's own buddy, David Siegel - I have at least another six to eight hours of programming to go.

*Oh, there is still one "obstacle" - since there are a bunch of "synth" sounds, I do have to go through the various programs and banks to find the right or at least closest sound, so...  Hey, at least I'm learning what's actually in this equipment!  So...

I have not read all the late posts from yesterday.  I have not read any of the posts from today, and I have even yet to read today's notes posted by our host.  I have planned to give myself tomorrow night off - after the six hour orchestra rehearsal... which starts at 10:00am - just 8 1/2 hours from now!  So...

I shall catch up tomorrow night.  Thanks for letting me "vent" if that's what you can actually call it.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.  I am too.  It's just work.  And lots of it.  -But I knew it would be a bit of a crunch... but what show doesn't have to deal with a crunch five days before the first audience...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2004, 10:45:04 PM »

I had sushi for dinner, Dear Readers.  First time I've had sushi in eons.  And it was delish.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2004, 11:09:59 PM »

...Thankfully, the "learning curve" period I had expected was on schedule so to speak - it always just takes some time getting used to a particular set-up.  And once I realized and remedied the major obstacle, the programming progressed nicely.  Unfortunately, by its very nature, programming is not a "fast art".  But I'm moving as fast as I can...
DR Jose, from past experience watching der Brucer handle programming tasks, much as you may think it should get easier, it doesn't.  For every new task, someone will want something "different," which at first will look simple.  It never is.

Be heartened that, because he never gives up, he's regarded as one of the best in the particular type of progamming he does.  Something to aspire to!  (And, of course, there's always the new software and hardware that's coming right down the pike... :-\)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »

DerBrucer, thanks for the info! I had never heard that diet soda was bad for people, but I just wanted to pass along the "warning." I guess my parents were able to use it as an excuse (even though they really believed it) to get my brother to stop drinking so much soda. He drinks entirely too much--silly boy. :)
And who, exactly, is purchasing all this soda?

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2004, 11:21:34 PM »

*sigh* I love "Camp."  I love the songs.  I love the performances.  I love the spirit.  I love the Divine Cameo, hehe.

The lovely wife and I were sitting on the balcony, sipping some excellent wine (Me, an Argentinian Malbec; her, a California Reisling), watching the sunset, listening to BOYS FROM SYRACUSE.  As I was chortling to Mr. Hart's clever, risque lyric, "...All night they bring rich men to grief, till they have no cash left, Cops can't afford the good roast beef, but still we have the hash left",  I commented to my lovely wife that if Stephen Sondheim had one flaw, it was his seeming diminishment and dismissal of Mr. Hart in comparison to his spiritual father and mentor, Mr. Hammerstein.  Now over the years I've become a lot fonder of Mr. Hammerstein (there are few lyrics more perfect than "the sun is swimming on the rim of a hill"), but I've always preferred Mr. Hart.  I can certainly understand Mr. Sondheim's loyalty and preference to Mr. Hammerstein over Mr. Hart.  But what I find somewhat amusing and ironic about Mr. Sondheim's apparent disdain for Mr. Hart is that I find his style, sensibility, and intricateness much closer to Hart than Hammerstein.

I know we have lots of Sondheim mavens on this board.  Any thoughts or comments about this?

I feel EXACTLY the way you do, Charles!  I recall reading that Sondheim dismissed Hart because he thought of him as a "sloppy lyricist."  That is, he wrote too fast and carelessly.  Correct me if I am wrong, ye Sondheads wiser than myself!

But really...sometimes I imagine Hammerstein being in the opening night audience of "Company" and just scratching his head.  Though I think Sondheim's work has also acquired an increasing sense of romanticism through the years (with maybe the exception of a show like "Assassins")...it's still causticly witty stuff, but I think he's also come a little closer to the more emotionally open feeling of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical play without losing that conceptualist edge.  I hope this makes sense...I'm no scholar.    

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2004, 11:22:10 PM »

AND CONGRATULATIONS TO LAURA II!!!!!

I'm so proud, and so not surprised!  :-*

Laura II

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2004, 11:45:20 PM »

Aww, Maya, you are too sweet! Thank you! We must chat on AIM or something soon. My bro won't let me on the comp with it now, though.

Uncle Woody, it all leads back to my parents! (You knew I would say that. :)) Parents are silly that way. They'll buy things and then put limits on the amount you can have (soda, junk food, etc) or the amount of time you can spend using them (i.e. phone, computer, tv). I guess they feel that one can really have too much of a good thing, and you know, from my experience, they're probably right. :D
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2004, 11:52:25 PM »

If I could go back in time, I would probably see the original production of "Merrily We Roll Along".  "Merrily" is my favorite musical, and I think that the story of its creation is incredibly moving.  Seeing the original production would have made last year's reunion so much more powerful.

A friend of mine has a multi-generational video copy (recorded from the audience) of the original Broadway production.  It just amazes me that someone was able to get a video camera (in 1981!) into the theater without being caught!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2004, 11:54:10 PM »

DR George,  I believe - and I could be wrong here - that Topol and Carole Demas were replaced at the same time; I don't know if Lupone ever did the show with Topol.

I didn't know that Carole Demas was in it at all.  I knew that the role was written with Betty Buckley in mind, and that she auditioned but didn't get it.  I just assumed that Patti was the one and only Genevieve. The same friend who had the Merrily We Roll Along video also has a (very poorly recorded from the audience) tape of the show (or at least excerpts) with Patti (unless my ears deceived me) and Topol.  "Meadowlark" is shorter than the version that everyone knows and has different lyrics.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up