Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE  (Read 14217 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »

PAGE SIX DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I'm sure we played Fish growing up, but I don't remember ever playing Old Maid.  When we lived in Germany, we learned a few German card games (German playing cards are very different than US cards).  We haven't played it in years, but the only name of a game that I can remember is watten.  And my mom's mom would cheat every chance she got.  It was so funny to see her cheat like that and "pretend" to deny it all. :D

Here are pictures of three German playing cards:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:27:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »

TOD - When I was in high school, my family played a rummy game called Liverpool.  Our house didn't have AC, so my parents and I would sit up late at night playing Liverpool on our screened-in porch until the bedrooms cooled off.  That ended when the 1967 riots brought about a curfew and we had to stay inside.  We still played cards, but it wasn't as nice as out on the porch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »

TOD - When I was in high school, my family played a rummy game called Liverpool.  Our house didn't have AC, so my parents and I would sit up late at night playing Liverpool on our screened-in porch until the bedrooms cooled off.  That ended when the 1967 riots brought about a curfew and we had to stay inside.  We still played cards, but it wasn't as nice as out on the porch.

Yes!!!  We have tried to get our kids to play Liverpool.  They are not enthused.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

Paul and Liz do Shakespeare.

That was fun, DR JRand58!!    :D

DAW

« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »

If JMK's progeny are that entertaining now, what will they be like after they read "Maxim"??     :)

DAW

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »

Do not mess with Ms. Patti LuPone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

I went to Dino's and had some pizza - and no, Dino was not at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »

I gotta tell you. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

Guess I'll finish Chamber of Secrets and then watch Leon: The Professional, a French import.

DAW

« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »

The leaders at the "ENGLISH ONLY" conference had a teeny problem with their banner...      ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:34 PM »

I can’t remember which country we saw far more practical crutches & canes.  They had a brace for the arm to slip into.  They might not have looked as nice but I can guarantee, especial the cane replacement, was far steadier & safer.

DR Cilla, vibes your father doesn’t fall while using his crutches.

My parents have a friend who had a walker with wheels (that concept doesn't seem right to me) that her mother couldn't use because she couldn't grip the brakes.   Anyway, He borrowed it and will be using that instead of the crutches.

DAW

« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »

Donny & Marie do Star Wars!!!!!!! ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »

Is Tom Cruise going to play Roger Federer in the movie??

I don't think Roger Federer is gay.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »

My family has always been very big at playing card games.  My parents play a lot of Bridge.  When I was little I remember Go Fish, Old Maid, War, Kings on the Corners, Gin...later Cribbage, Spades, Hearts, Poker, Black Jack, Uno, Pitch, Euchre and about 50 different kinds of Solitaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »

In the meantime I guess I'll just sit here by myself and play Solitaire.       :)

That is not a card game!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »

If JMK's progeny are that entertaining now, what will they be like after they read "Maxim"??     :)

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »

Dropping by again to say hi.  This will probably not translate well to the printed page, but I was watching TAKEN last night and I got to that point where Liam Neeson says "I have a set of very specific skills," at which point the boys (who obviously have inherited my outre sense of humor) said from the other room:

(in a high Monty Python voice) I can talk in this high squeaky voice while flapping my arms like a dodo.  I also crochet lovely sweaters.  And if you press my belly button, I sing Ode to Joy backwards in German.

I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe.

DR JMK - So, how often do your kids get beat up at school?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »

Donny & Marie do Star Wars!!!!!!! ;D

I actually remember seeing that when that was first broadcast!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:35 PM »

I'm starving.  At three, I shall go out and find something amusing to eat.  There's a new jernt on Ventura Blvd. called The Counter, which is basically a build your own burger place.  I've driven by several times and it's been jammed with hordes of the kind of peoples that I loathe. 

The Counter makes a good burger.  I believe I may have dined at one when I was out there last year.  And I've also dined at their Charlotte, NC, location.

bk - If you want to cut down on your in-store time, you can study the MENU in advance, and formulate your personal burger before you get there.

This looks good, and they have sweet potato fries.  Bruce, if you go please ask if they make their own veggie burgers.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I donned my flip-flops a little while ago, and went out for a walk.  Besides some very light sprinkles, the rain held off.  However, the wind is starting to pick up again, and I'm guessing we're probably be getting some sort of storm sometime over the next few hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »

Tonight we are blocking the opening scene in MAN OF LA MANCHA, I hope everyone comes to rehearsal with pencils and listening ears.

You are joking, aren't you?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

In other news...

I just noticed over at Playbill.com that they posted the news that actor, T. Scott Cunningham, passed away.

I never worked with him, but I knew his partner from the tour of The Producers.  However, I could have sworn that someone here on HHW had mentioned his name before.  I contacted DRs FJL and elmore, but they did not know him.  Maybe I was just mixing up the names.  Or... In any case... He was a great talent, and he died way too young.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »

Did anyone else ever play AUTHORS when they were kids?  It was my favorite game, and probably had a lot to do with my love of reading.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:23:49 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »

I'm starving.  At three, I shall go out and find something amusing to eat.  There's a new jernt on Ventura Blvd. called The Counter, which is basically a build your own burger place.  I've driven by several times and it's been jammed with hordes of the kind of peoples that I loathe. 

The Counter makes a good burger.  I believe I may have dined at one when I was out there last year.  And I've also dined at their Charlotte, NC, location.

bk - If you want to cut down on your in-store time, you can study the MENU in advance, and formulate your personal burger before you get there.

This looks good, and they have sweet potato fries.  Bruce, if you go please ask if they make their own veggie burgers.

DR Jane - The Counter does make their own Veggie Burgers.  In fact, in some areas they are famous for them.  There's even a write-up from the Chicago Tribune on Counter's website: Meatless No Longer Means Tasteless

"This nicely grilled and seasoned patty of panko bread crumbs, beans, corn, cranberries, mushrooms and more is delicious all by itself."
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »

However... Broadway Bares does have its own website now.  *You will have to certify that you are at least 18 years of age in order to view the site.

Thanks for the web site.  Wow!  I don't remember this Tommy Birkeland ever looking like that Tommy Berklund. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:01:50 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:35 PM »

Tragic news out of Washington, DC, this afternoon with the collision of the two Metro trains.  And some very strange news out of South Carolina  - It's 8:49pm, do you know where your governor is?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »

However... Broadway Bares does have its own website now.  *You will have to certify that you are at least 18 years of age in order to view the site.

Thanks for the web site.  Wow!  I don't remember this Tommy Birkeland ever looking like that Tommy Berklund. 

Oh! and OOOHH!!

*And, I have to say, I like Tommy Berklund better with shorter hair.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:31:16 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:53 PM »

Tragic news out of Washington, DC, this afternoon with the collision of the two Metro trains.  And some very strange news out of South Carolina  - It's 8:49pm, do you know where your governor is?

Yes, ours is in Columbus reading all the emails and postings on his Facebook page about his knuckle-headed plan to cut library funding in half for the next couple of years.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »

Did anyone else ever play AUTHORS when they were kids?  It was my favorite game, and probably had a lot to do with love of reading.

Yes! We had that game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up