Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IDES OF MARCH  (Read 41695 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:THE IDES OF MARCH
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 07:23:33 AM »

posted on the actual Ides of March.

Ides!  Ides!  Ides!  Ides!

You deal?  Avers????
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2004, 07:28:12 AM »

Favorite mercer songs:

Horray for Hollywood
Moon River
Days of Wine and Roses
Laura Come Rain or Come Shine
Most of the songs from Lil Abner

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2004, 07:46:06 AM »

All my favorite Mercers were already mentioned, but I'll mention two I really love anyway:

"That Old Black Magic" and "On the Atcheson, Topeka, and the Santa Fe."

But all of the ones he did with Henry Mancini are hauntingly beautiful and unique. I love them all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2004, 07:47:34 AM »

Good morning all!

First off, my sympathies go out to Laura and Swishy and all the people in your area affected by the stupidity of your country to fight common sense gun control laws.  Safe storage boxes with locks on them?  Firearm licensing so that people with high-risk psychological assements can't access weapons to hurt themselves or others around them? God forbid says the NRA  :o

DR Jennifer, by Canadian law, you are allowed to keep long-guns (ie. rifles and shotguns) in your home as long as they are kept in a locked, secure and approved storage place and they are ALWAYS kept unloaded when not in use.  Ammunition must be kept separate from the weapon itself.  Access to handguns has been limited in Canada since 1934 and, with the most recent Firearms Act of 1995, have been banned altogether (although grandfather rules do exist which allows people who owned them before 1995 to continue to do so and transfer them within their families only at the time of their death).  So there are many people in Montreal with firearms in their homes for legal, responsible uses.  

The big difference between why you find more firearms in people's homes in the US than in Canada is that, unlike in the States, most guns used here are for hunting and firearm-related sports (like target shooting) while in the States most people have guns for so-called "protection purposes".  I guess it's taken us faster to understand that:

• A 1997 American Journal of Public Health study showed that family members that had a history of buying a handgun were twice as likely to die in a suicide or homicide as were persons who had no such family history of gun purchase. This increased risk persisted for more than five years after the handgun was purchased.
  • One study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, found that having a gun in the home made it nearly three times more likely that someone in the family would be killed.
Sorry for the rant, but things like this make me so angry.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 07:48:22 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2004, 07:50:02 AM »

oooh... Moon River is now in my head and I can't get it out.  

Argh!

MOOOOOOOOOOON RIIIIVVVVVVVVVERRRRR WIIIIIIIDERRR THAN A MILLLLLLLLLLE
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2004, 08:06:18 AM »

If you're going to have a song stuck in your head, "Moon River" is one of the best.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2004, 08:30:41 AM »

Thanks DR Emily, I didn't mind your rant.  But you did bring up a very interesting point.  Why do people in the US have guns for protection, while people in Canada don't?

Also question about steaming vegetables in the microwave:  are you guys saying that a veggie like broccoli would only take one minute to steam?

And are the nutrients still the same if you microwave rather than use the stove?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2004, 08:30:45 AM »

I missed the Ides?  We don't have to beware the Ides?  The Ides are cool now?  Those darned Ides, they're here, they're there, they're everywhere, like The Scarlet Pimpernel.  Those Ides have made a fool out of me and frankly I think it was a sinister plot by said Ides, I think the Ides messed with my mind.

The good news?  For the first time since Thursday evening, I logged onto AOL without a problem.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2004, 08:31:41 AM »

The big difference between why you find more firearms in people's homes in the US than in Canada is that, unlike in the States, most guns used here are for hunting and firearm-related sports (like target shooting) while in the States most people have guns for so-called "protection purposes".  I guess it's taken us faster to understand that...

Well, at least one Canadian Judge doesn't "understand" either:

The Edmonton Journal extract:

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

EDMONTON - Ordinary Canadians need guns to defend themselves from wild animals or from "homicidal rapists or robbers," says an Alberta judge who ordered government officials to grant a firearms licence to a woman they thought was a suicidal alcoholic.

People living in "the coniferous forests of rural Canada" are sometimes killed by bears and cougars if they don't have guns to protect themselves, provincial court Judge Don Demetrick said in a written judgment released Monday.

"Similarly, in the concrete jungles of urban Canada, ordinary persons sometimes urgently require a firearm for use in lawful self-protection against the lethal attack of two-legged predators such as homicidal rapists or robbers, and of those mentally ill persons who on rare occasion engage in mass homicide for no rational reason," he wrote.

"Decent but defenceless urbanites die annually in Canada as innocent victims of criminal or mentally deranged violence in circumstances where their timely and lawful use of a firearm could have prevented or reduced the tragedy."

The St. Paul judge also took a shot at the federal Firearms Act, saying it forces Canadians who want to own guns "to endure ... a gauntlet of bureaucratic scrutiny and the time-consuming inconvenience of obtaining an official permit."

Demetrick made the comments in overturning a decision by Alberta firearms officer Richard Clarke to deny Brenda Pogson a firearms possession and acquisition licence.

der Brucer (whose research indicates that Canada's somewhat draconian Firearms Registry laws are under broad assault from lots of the populace)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2004, 08:40:24 AM »

I missed the Ides?  We don't have to beware the Ides?  The Ides are cool now?  Those darned Ides, they're here, they're there, they're everywhere, like The Scarlet Pimpernel.  Those Ides have made a fool out of me and frankly I think it was a sinister plot by said Ides, I think the Ides messed with my mind.

The Ides of March let you slip by so the impending Kalends (no relationtion to Kato) of April can git ya!

der Brucer (wondering if it's Kato's guest house wherein Panni makes domestic)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »

I left MOON RIVER off my list. Mea culpa. (That's in honor of the non-Ides.)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »

• One study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, found that having a gun in the home made it nearly three times more likely that someone in the family would be killed.

Another study, NOT published in The New England Journal of Medicine - for obvious reasons - found that more people in the United States are killed each year by their doctors (This form of manslaughter is called "Medical Misadventure") than by car accidents, falls, drowning, gunshot, bludgeoning, strangling, and other 'untimely' means. makes ya want to ban MD's, don't it?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »

Here's another statistic, from another "study" - When the Florida "right to carry" laws were passed in the last dozen or so years - pushed by elderly retirees who had been victimized unmercifully by bad-ass Youth At Risk - suddenly the crime rate in Florida went WAY down, and the criminals moved to Atlanta, where decent people were NOT aloowed to defend themselves. Pesky crooks, they go ply their nefarious trade where they are unlikely to get injured.

And another study: Vermont has about the most lenient Gun Permit, Carry, and Possession laws in the whole nation. And their crime rate is about the lowest.

And in Switzerland, where every adult male is REQUIRED to keep a gun, LOADED, in the house, gave even Hitler pause... Der Fuhrer decided against invading Switzerland, and moved againt the French.

Ah, the French. Love the wine, the cuisine, the Louvre, the music, the Beaumarchais...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2004, 09:06:07 AM »

So, who can tell that little PennyO is an Armed Citizen, with a carry permit and everything?
PennyO

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2004, 09:10:45 AM »

I feel the breeze of a new show in the air:

Pistol Packin' Penny O: Annie Get Your Gun - the sequel!

der Brucer

Quote of the day for BK from a site on the Atkins diet:

"But how long can anyone eat a burger sans bun, or a steak without the potato?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2004, 09:13:42 AM »

Or a French without the Fries?  Or lox without the bagel?  Or butter without the roll?  Or Alfredo sauce without the fettucine.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Lovely Mercer lists - I knew everyone would name all my other faves.  Love Skylark large.

Emily

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »

Der Brucer,

I’m going to have to counter some of that post you just made (it IS my job after all!)

First off, note that the article came from Alberta.  There is a very vocal segment of the population in this province, with its traditional independent streak and history as the wild wild west, which has ALWAYS been against the Firearms Act and indeed, against gun control of any kind.  So... taking an argument from the Edmonton Journal isn't exactly the most unbiased way to go about this because they are simply trying to appeal to their readership which is made of a large chunk of people who feel that the ownership of any firearm - military assault, handgun or otherwise - is a right.  It may be one in the United States, but Canada has NEVER considered gun ownership a right, but rather sees it as a privilege that can and indeed HAS to be regulated.  

Secondly, Canada's Firearms Act is anything but Draconian.  It is simple common sense legislation that the LARGE MAJORITY of Canadians support.  Highlights of the FA are:

• It prohibits the ownership of fully automatic military assault weapons, semi-automatics which can be converted to automatics, along with a few other selected models not suitable for hunting or target shooting, short-barreled handguns, sawed-off shotguns and large capacity magazines
  • It requires all firearm owners to receive a license to possess or acquire firearms (renewable every five years)
  • Standard safety checks are performed to ensure that the individual does not pose a risk to public safety. Spouses and previous spouses with whom the applicant has lived within the last two years are notified of the individuals’ application. If someone with a license becomes violent or commits a crime that would make them illegible to own firearms, the Chief Firearms Officer will be able to revoke the license
  • All firearms must be registered.  New firearms will be registered at their point of sale and imported firearms will be registered at their point of entry. Every registration certificate will have a Firearms Identification Number (FIN)
  • Firearms must be stored unloaded, with the ammunition separate. For handguns and other restricted weapons, the firearms must be stored in a locked container, unloaded and made inoperable (trigger locked), with the ammunition stored separately
  • All license applicants must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and/or pass the test for the course, or show by some other approved means that they know about firearms laws and safety practices
  • It ensures that mandatory penalties are applied for crimes which use firearms including 4 years for serious offenses with a firearm and 1 year for a stolen weapon
Now, I don't know about that... but Canada's gun control laws seem fairly straight-forward and based on common-sense to me...

Oh an about the Firearms Act being under attack from the population at large.  Last year, Canada’s Auditor General came out with a blistering report against the Liberal Government then under Prime Minister Jean Chrétien for the ballooning costs of the gun registry (note… not the entire ACT just the registry part of it).  Her argument was that cost overruns since 1995 had forced the registry to go 14000% over budget, from costing an original $2 million to a blistering $1 billion.  None of this had been reported to Parliament which the government was required to do.  

The media immediately picked up on this story and Canadians everywhere were shocked.  However, most outlets failed to give the context of the price estimate quoted by the Auditor General:

• The money was spent over 10 years. Going forward the costs will be $70 million per year.  The old, flawed system cost $30 million per year.
  • Costs are high in part because the government has refused to make users pay. It has

waived fees as an incentive for gun owners to comply.

• People who were against the implementation of the registry made frequent attempts to increase the cost of the program – including sending the Canadian Firearms Centre phone books with postage due, making repeated fake phone calls to help lines in order to force the government to hire more workers, asking many times for the CFC to send them expensive copies of the Firearms Act and even, upon occasion, forcing the CFC to close down its offices when envelopes with white powder were sent via the mail shortly after the 9/11 attacks in the United States
  • The annual cost of a license to own as many guns as one wishes is $12 per year ($60

renewed every 5 years). This is half the annual cost paid in Toronto or Montreal for a license to own a single dog or cat.

• No one even knows how much we spend to keep highways safe. In New Brunswick, the federal Government is investing $400 million to widen a stretch of highway where 43 lives were lost over 5 years. In the same period, guns killed 5,000 people.
  • Prevention is not cheap, it is an investment in our future, for example, the meningitis

inoculation program initiated in Quebec last fall, which came in response to 85 cases
reported in 2001, and cost the province $125 million.

• As the Government of Ontario learned from the Walkerton tragedy, inappropriately cutting costs of water testing proved very expensive. The former Ontario Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Richard Schabas, has warned the federal government not to make the same mistake by cutting the gun control program.
  • Lots of government programs are much more costly: for example, snow removal in Montreal costs $130 million each year.
  • Canada’s passport office costs $125 million per year to run.

Shortly after the Auditor General’s report, the Environics Polling Group (Canada’s largest public opinion research organization) did a poll on Canadians and their support of the Firearms Act.  

The results demonstrate, that even with the hullabaloo surrounding the costs of the program, most Canadians in every province – including Alberta – continue to show huge support for the law.

So that ends my rant.  I MUST get back to school work now… sheesh (and yes… Moon River is STILL in my head)  

Emily

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2004, 09:20:35 AM »

Here's another statistic, from another "study" - When the Florida "right to carry" laws were passed in the last dozen or so years - pushed by elderly retirees who had been victimized unmercifully by bad-ass Youth At Risk - suddenly the crime rate in Florida went WAY down, and the criminals moved to Atlanta, where decent people were NOT aloowed to defend themselves. Pesky crooks, they go ply their nefarious trade where they are unlikely to get injured.

And another study: Vermont has about the most lenient Gun Permit, Carry, and Possession laws in the whole nation. And their crime rate is about the lowest.

And in Switzerland, where every adult male is REQUIRED to keep a gun, LOADED, in the house, gave even Hitler pause... Der Fuhrer decided against invading Switzerland, and moved againt the French.

Ah, the French. Love the wine, the cuisine, the Louvre, the music, the Beaumarchais...

Penny, I gotta love you but your wrong...

"Opponents of gun control often use Switzerland as evidence that access to guns is not linked to crime or violence. They argue that since virtually all adult males are members of the army and have military weapons, there is nearly universal access to deadly weapons yet few gun-related problems in Switzerland. However, Swiss criminologist Martin Killias, of the Université de Lausanne, argues that the rate of households with firearms is actually comparable to that of Canada (27.2%). There is strict screening of army officers and ammunition is stored in sealed boxes and inspected regularly. Despite these controls, Switzerland has rates of gun suicide second only to the US among the countries Killias surveyed and a gun murder rate comparable to Canada's (pre-Firearms Act). Although firearms regulations in Switzerland is fragmented and controlled at the regional level, wide ranging reforms are being undertaken to establish national standards."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2004, 09:22:23 AM »

Democrat Gov. learns from Republican Attorney General:

From FNC

West Virginia Governor Blasts T-Shirt
Tuesday, March 23, 2004

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Gov. Bob Wise sent a letter to Abercrombie & Fitch on Monday demanding that the clothing retailer stop selling a T-shirt that spoofs the state with the slogan, "It's All Relative in West Virginia."

Wise said the T-shirt depicts "an unfounded, negative stereotype" of the state.

"I write to you today to demand that you immediately remove this item from your stores and your print and online catalogues," Wise wrote. "In addition, these shirts must be destroyed at once to avoid any possibility of resale and proof be given thereof."

der Brucer (first we burn the T-Shirts, then the books!)

::Crown of busty women in A&F T-Shirts throng the capital in Wheeling::

::cue Shower music From Pcycho::

::Women all strip off their shirts, fling them at the Governor while yelling:

"T-Shirts - Here's your G-D T-Shirts"

(with apologies to Mel, not Gibson)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2004, 09:41:20 AM »

Democrat Gov. learns from Republican Attorney General:

From FNC

West Virginia Governor Blasts T-Shirt
Tuesday, March 23, 2004

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Gov. Bob Wise sent a letter to Abercrombie & Fitch on Monday demanding that the clothing retailer stop selling a T-shirt that spoofs the state with the slogan, "It's All Relative in West Virginia."

Wise said the T-shirt depicts "an unfounded, negative stereotype" of the state.

"I write to you today to demand that you immediately remove this item from your stores and your print and online catalogues," Wise wrote. "In addition, these shirts must be destroyed at once to avoid any possibility of resale and proof be given thereof."

der Brucer (first we burn the T-Shirts, then the books!)

::Crown of busty women in A&F T-Shirts throng the capital in Wheeling::

::cue Shower music From Pcycho::

::Women all strip off their shirts, fling them at the Governor while yelling:

"T-Shirts - Here's your G-D T-Shirts"

(with apologies to Mel, not Gibson)

Only thing wrong with your scenario, Derbrucer, is that the crowd would actually consist of white, slightly buffed and smooth chested fratboys, who will not only strip off their t-shirts, but their worn denim jeans as well.  And then they'll make a mad dash for the fountains, where they will frolic and horseplay with each other as their young lean bodies glisten with the water and sunlight.  Their faded flannel boxers, soaked heavy, begin to perilously slip further down their hips and round, white a---

Whoops...sorry...got caught up in the moment...whew...is it hot in here, or is it just me...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2004, 09:41:34 AM »

Der Brucer,

I’m going to have to counter some of that post you just made (it IS my job after all!)

... but Canada's gun control laws seem fairly straight-forward and based on common-sense to me...

My God, I don't have enough trouble, now someone's paying other DRs to "counter" me

Often one man's "common-sense" is another man's Intrusive Big Brother.

How do you feel about the "common sense" argument down here that says a marriage should be restricted to one man-one women!

der Brucer (who goes not gracefully countered into that dark night - and who will spare you all the voluminous counter quotes I can get from the Canadian National Firearms Association)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »

Let us not talk of guns or no guns - let us talk of Moon River and Accentuate the Positive and Dream.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2004, 09:44:35 AM »

Only thing wrong with your scenario, Derbrucer, is that the crowd would actually consist of white, slightly buffed and smooth chested fratboys, who will not only strip off their t-shirts, but their worn denim jeans as well.  And then they'll make a mad dash for the fountains, where they will frolic and horseplay with each other as their young lean bodies glisten with the water and sunlight.  Their faded flannel boxers, soaked heavy, begin to perilously slip further down their hips and round, white a---

So now you're writing scripts for A&F ads?

der Brucer (who much prefers Dan scenario to his own)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2004, 09:59:49 AM »

Favorite Mercer:  Midnight Sun.  One of the most gloriously poetic lyrics of the 20th century.

DR Noel:  Didn't you mean Whistling Away the Dark?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »

DR DerBrucer: You know that when DR Emily said it was her job, she wasn't referring to YOU, but to her ACTUAL JOB (for gun control).

:)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2004, 10:03:37 AM »

Let us not talk of guns or no guns - let us talk of Moon River and Accentuate the Positive and Dream.

Well, if no guns, then butter:

My favorite Mercer song is:

It's a Nuisance Having You Around Emily

Emily, Emily, Emily has the murmuring sound of May; All silver bells, coral shells, carousels and the laughter of children at play say, Emily, Emily, Emily and we fade to a marvelous view.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »

DR DerBrucer: You know that when DR Emily said it was her job, she wasn't referring to YOU, but to her ACTUAL JOB (for gun control).

:)

I did not. Like an innocent lamb I've been led into the lion's den!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2004, 10:07:22 AM »

This may have been mentioned over the last few days (and maybe would be better placed on the DVD Board), but has anyone else listened to the commentary on the new release of Ten Commandments?  The lady, who evidently sat around Henry Wilcoxon's house watching the movie over and over, and later wrote a book about it, made me laugh out loud several times, including this bon mot:  "The Ten Commandments, if anything, is the anti-film noir. "  Yes, I'm sure that's how all of us first reacted to it.  And this non sequitur:  "The Bible says Moses died when he was 120, De Mille changed it to 80, which cuts it exactly in half."  That must be the new math.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:08:23 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2004, 10:08:49 AM »

MERCER!

That Old Black Magic
Moon River
My Shining Hour
Skylark

and a lesser known song--Two of a Kind

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2004, 10:17:17 AM »

So now you're writing scripts for A&F ads?

If only I could.  Alas, A&F has discontinued its catalog.

I am inspired, though, to write a little story for Honcho magazine.  In keeping with today's topic, I think I'll call it "Moon River, or Accentuating His Positive"

(I don't know what that means either, but it sounds dirty.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up