Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN  (Read 15707 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 07:14:13 AM »

DR MBarnum, all you need now is your passport!

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-13042.html
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 07:14:25 AM »

Michael S, great pictures of our youthful, cherubic BK.

TOD:  The first musical I remember seeing in the theatre was a road show of OLIVIER at what used to be the main theatre for Broadway road shows...the now-defunct SHUBERT theatre in Cincinnati, Ohio.  It was a school excursion; our entire High School Freshmen Advance English class went under Mrs. Black (we were studying Dickens...Great Expectations).

I still have the programme. Someone named Judy Bruce played Nancy and one Robin Ramsay played Fagin.  Of note, The Artful Dodger was played by one David Jones.  It is interesting back then that the programme had only bios for Ms. Bruce and Mr. Ramsay.

I remember quite liking the show and being particularly impressed with the revolving stage.

What's fascinating in the programme are the ads, many of which depend heavily on commerical art...which seems to have gone the way of the world.  You could get a two bedroom-two bath luxury apartment at the Highland Towers (overlooking downtown and the Ohio river) starting at $265.  This was an apartment building that had a restaurant and cocktail lounge, beauty salon, barber shop, heated pool and health club, doorman, and maid service. Another ad touts a mink cape jacket at $595 dollars. 

There is an ad for the movie SHOT IN THE DARK and, on the back page, a half-page ad plugging the next show, 110 IN THE SHADE, starring Jeannie Carson and Biff McGuire and John Carter, with Will Geer, and further down in the cast Scooter Teague, Charles Scott, Lesley Warren (no Anne), and George Church.  Music director was Carmen Coppola.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 07:23:12 AM »

Good morning!

Not as cool this morning as the previous two mornings (and I was up earlier; couldn't sleep for some reason), and promises to be another hot, miserable day. Highs in the upper 80s or low 90s.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 07:27:18 AM »

TOD:

My first musical happened to be on Broadway and one of the greatest ever made: MY FAIR LADY. Sadly, the original leads had gone to London to do the show, so I saw Edward Mulhare and Sally Ann Howes as Higgins and Eliza.

I was very young (8), but I do remember the revolving stage and I remember the show stopping and people standing up cheering after "Get Me to the Church On Time." The other big, big hit then was THE MUSIC MAN, and I begged and begged to go see that, but my uncle couldn't get tickets.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »

I actually prefer KILL BILL Part 2 to Part 1. Part 1 is so frenzied, and Part 2 has all those payoffs, and I found several sequences very involving and the tension really terrific in places.

The Blu-rays of both were among my favorite Blu-ray transfers last year.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »

Today my work project will be another action picture which came out on Tuesday: STREET FIGHTER:THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI. It stars Kristin Kulek who was my least favorite actor on SMALLVILLE, but Neal McDonough plays the villain, and he's one of my FAVORITE current actors, so I guess it balances out.

The Blu-ray doesn't appear to have quite as many bonus features as yesterday's 12 ROUNDS, and the movie itself is 10 minutes shorter, so I'm hoping to get it finished this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »

Since I was away from home last night and never turned on the TV at all, I didn't get to either of yesterday's soaps that I'm skimming through daily: THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS or ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

I also recorded Bette Davis in FOG OVER FRISCO last night, and, obviously, I haven't gotten to it yet either. Hopefully tonight I'll have some time to tend to these items on the DVR.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

ABC - SAMANTHA WHO?, IN THE MOTHERHOOD
FOX - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?
NBC - THE LISTENER

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »

NOTE:

There are no new episodes of BURN NOTICE or ROYAL PAINS tonight. Looks like reruns of two BURN NOTICE episodes from last season instead.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 07:41:32 AM »

This topic reminds me: I need to see about tickets to Peter Pan. I think the Goldstein girls would enjoy their first musical.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »

We made it through Act I last night with a full crew and scene changes.  This is probably the most mammoth production I've done.  Absolutely huge sets which recreate the original Broadway look, down the to the "white" office at the top of Act II.

My pit band will be 7 players, plus the pre-records for all the big production numbers, which basically recreate the original orchestrations.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »

Does anyone else find it unseemly that Playbill online has not yet posted an article about Harve Presnell?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's Wednesday, isn't it?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 07:54:22 AM »

Oh... Nevermind... It is Thursday.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »

TOD:

I don't know what my first movie musical was. Likely it was WIZARD OF OZ, although I watched so many film musicals when I was a little kid, it is hard to tell.

I have no clue what my first stage musical was.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »

Does anyone else find it unseemly that Playbill online has not yet posted an article about Harve Presnell?

Playbill.com had the death notices for both Harve Presnell and Karl Malden up on the site yesterday afternoon and evening for a while.  Alas, they both eventually were superceded by the starting of previews for Vanities and the recording of the OCR of Glory Days.

*However, it is unseemly that the news of their passing didn't even make the "below the banner" news this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 08:01:07 AM »

Awwww... Hugh Panaro is singing on "The Today Show" right now.  -With Sierra Boggess - as part of Kathie Lee and David Friedman's "Everyone Has A Story" project.  -And Hugh looks great! (as always)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »

TOD:

I don't know what my first movie musical was. Likely it was WIZARD OF OZ, although I watched so many film musicals when I was a little kid, it is hard to tell.

I have no clue what my first stage musical was.

I thought it was Avenue Q?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 08:04:01 AM »

I need a manicure.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:14 AM »

DR MBarnum, all you need now is your passport!

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-13042.html

Get him to the mosque
Get him to the mosque
For Allah's sake get him to the mosque on time!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 08:07:39 AM »

TOD - the first musical I ever saw was a national tour of The Music Man starring Forrest Tucker and Joan Weldon, at Detroit's Riviera Theatre, in 1959 or 1960.  I only saw one more show at the Riviera, a Sound of Music tour starring Florence Henderson.  The Riviera was closed when the Fisher Theatre was reopened as a stage house and my first show there was the Molly Brown tour I mentioned yesterday, probably in 1962 or 3.  Throughout junior high, high school, and college, I saw many, many shows at the Fisher and then at Hill Auditorium on the campus of The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

THE MUSIC MAN
w/Tucker & Weldon came through Seattle, too.  Saw it at the Orpheum Theater...which no longer exists.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »

Hmmm...

Kathie Lee Gifford just mentioned that "big things" are coming up for Sierra Boggess and Hugh Panaro, but she was not at liberty to tell.  Well...

Since Sierra is already booked for the American premiere company of the Phantom sequel - after having originated Christine in the Vegas production... And since Hugh was a long-running Raoul and Phantom, well... Hmmm...  I wonder what the news could be?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »

DR Ben - Have a safe trip out to the Isle of Long, and have a wonderful weekend out there with the family Morelli.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »

Hmmm...

Kathie Lee Gifford just mentioned that "big things" are coming up for Sierra Boggess and Hugh Panaro, but she was not at liberty to tell.  Well...

Since Sierra is already booked for the American premiere company of the Phantom sequel - after having originated Christine in the Vegas production... And since Hugh was a long-running Raoul and Phantom, well... Hmmm...  I wonder what the news could be?

Am I the only one who thinks this Phantom sequel is a really bad idea?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »

Hmmm...

Am I the only one who thinks this Phantom sequel is a really bad idea?

I think it's a horrible idea.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The first musical I remember seeing was a production of The King & I somewhere in Connecticut. I would have been nine years old. I believe it was a professional production, or at least a very high-budget community theatre production.  I still remember the costumes and the fireworks effect.

I also remember seeing Topol(?) in one of the many tours of Fiddler on the Roof at the Warner Theatre in DC.

As for the first movie musical I saw, most likely "Oliver!" when I was in third grade. We watched it in the "cafetorium".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »

The wonderful actor who played the lover of the murder victim in this week's THE CLOSER is Barrett Foa. He was really special in the part and very, very appealing.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »

I have no idea if I'm doing lunch out today or not. Haven't heard a word from the usual sources. I guess *I* will have to make a call or two.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 08:22:07 AM »

We made it through Act I last night with a full crew and scene changes.  This is probably the most mammoth production I've done.  Absolutely huge sets which recreate the original Broadway look, down the to the "white" office at the top of Act II.

My pit band will be 7 players, plus the pre-records for all the big production numbers, which basically recreate the original orchestrations.

The original orchestrations? The original recorded orchestrations? The original revised Broadway orchestrations? Or the original touring/licensed orchestrations?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

Thursday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up