Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: INDEPENDENCE DAY  (Read 17692 times)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
Re: INDEPENDENCE DAY
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2009, 09:51:21 PM »

CBS out did themselves this year.   It seems everyone watching the fireworks was really happy.

And new fireworks I had not seen before.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:53:05 PM by Sam »
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

This is the first time I've turned on the computer in 2 days.  Really trying to go through all the boxes and bags so I can have an apartment back.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »

Happy 4th of July everyone (late I know).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2009, 10:05:23 PM »

Forgot to mention that Show Girl arrived yesterday!!!!        :D

So did mine! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sam

« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »

Oops, I had to read the last 3 days of bk's notes.  I guess I should have gone to the post office today to see if Cops and Robbers was there.  Oh well, Monday.

Listened to Showgirl again today.  Maybe one day I'll venture to New York.  

Sam

« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »

The finale of fireworks was only red, white, and blue.  Really nice.   Being here from another country and I'm old enough to say and another time.   I appreciate being here, my memories of Berlin all seem to involve dirt and rubble.

Sam

« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »

Worst memory of 4th of July.   St. Louis maybe 1960,  one of the kids on the block lost his finger to fireworks.    Fireworks were in every garage.

Best memory.  Bakersfield 1976, laying in the back of a pickup truck and the city sky lighting up for as far as you could see.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:01:57 PM by Sam »

Michael

« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »

Worst memory of 4th of July.   St. Louis maybe 1960,  one of the kids on the block lost his finger to fireworks.    Fireworks were in every garage.

Best memory.  Bakersfield, laying in the back of a pickup truck and the city sky lighting up for as far as you could see.

How did you get Bakersfield to fit in the back of a pickup truck? I hope pictures were taken!  :-)
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2009, 10:39:25 PM »

Good Evening!

Once again, Happy Independence Day!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »

So...

I went to Brooklyn. I met up with my friend, Jeff, who happens to be a doctor, a fine pianist, and quite the avid record/audio collector (mainly piano recitals and opera).  He had just re-found a box of old LPs - including some shellac discs - in his storage unit, so we spent a bit of time listening to Lauritz Melchior, Lawrence Tibbett, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Vladimir Horowitz.  Quite a nice way to spend part of my afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »

I just watched the last three episodes of "Pushing Daisies."  There are fireworks going off very closely and they're quite loud.  I have my window closed, so it's muffled a bit, but it's still a bit distracting.  My cat is hiding somewhere, but she'll be okay. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2009, 10:51:28 PM »

Then, since I was invited - well, since Monkey was invited - I headed on over to the Brooklyn Museum.

What a wonderful museum!  It was my first time there, and I will definitely be making a return visit.  -Maybe as soon as tomorrow.

*And for any DR who may have followed my Twitter feed today, well... Monkey definitely had a nice time at the Brooklyn Museum too. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: July 04, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »

And the main reason I may head back to the Brooklyn Museum is to make one more pass through Gustave Caillebotte: Impressionist Paintings from Paris to the Sea. It was a wonderful exhibition, and even included some of Caillebotte's designs and models for sailboats(!).  Even the curator came down to say Hi to me... And Monkey, of course.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »

It was nice to take this break and read today's posts.   I'm so far behind from this last month, I don't know if I'll be able to go back and read everything.  

And as far as being behind here at home, my carpet seems to have a grey haze floating on top of it.  That must be dust, I know the carpet is beige somewhere underneath.  Better vacuum soon.  

Back to unpacking and sorting, so I can vacuum, maybe next week.

Sam

« Reply #194 on: July 04, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

Hope everyone had a great holiday.   Good night all.   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) - As for the "Floor Scrapers":

"In this image, the two men—likely master and apprentice—finish a newly laid hardwood floor by shaving the buckling boards into plane. Research suggests that the space may have been Caillebotte’s own studio. While the older man passes his tool over the joins, leaving behind curled shavings, the boy pauses to sharpen his blade."
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: July 04, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »

Goodnight, DR Sam.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: July 04, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »

And then I headed over to my friends place at 59th & West End Avenue to watch the fireworks from the balcony of his apartment on the 21st floor.

WOW!!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sam

« Reply #198 on: July 04, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

Goodnight DR Jose and monkey.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2009, 11:12:42 PM »

And while I was at the July 4th Party...

A young(er) man came up to me, and said, "I know you.  You may not remember me, but I know you. We met during the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center..."

He then went on to explain how he had spent the week of his 22nd birthday at the Kennedy Center.  The day of his 22nd birthday he saw Company. Standing room. And he happened to be standing next to me during the performance. -Any of the participants and staff were allowed to stand for any of the productions in the festival.  We started talking, I found out that is was his birthday, and then, as a truly impromptu birthday gift to him, I took him backstage afterwards.  I introduced him to Lynn Redgrave - she was playing Joanne - as well as some of the actors in that production: Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, David Pittu, etc., etc., etc.

So, seven years later... Hello, again!  He served as one of the production assistants for the music department of The Little Mermaid, and is currently one of their subs.  One of the guys he subs for is my friend, Andy, who is a fellow Lestat alum.  He had noticed something on Andy's Facebook page a few weeks about a "Jose", and it turned out that we were one in the same.  Or something like that.

*And it was also great to find out that the special  Sondheim Celebration souvenir paperweight I had sent him afterwards did get to him.  And that he still has it - and hasn't put it up for sale on e-Bay. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »

That's a great story, Jose!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

DR TCB - ~~~~~SORE NO MORE VIBES TO YOU~~~~~

*Which are a lot better than "sores no more vibes".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2009, 11:42:09 PM »

And since the upload finally finished:

Monkey at the Brooklyn Museum
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2009, 11:50:01 PM »

Finished two motion pictures and shall now write the notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2009, 11:57:12 PM »

DR Jennifer - There is no need to feel bad.  As DR Jane mentioned, accidents do happen.  As for the blisters, the ice packs would not have helped. Blisters are more or less an immediate symptom, and, actually, if you had left the ice packs on longer, that could have made the blisters worse.  You want to cool them down, not freeze them.  As long as your niece is smiling and laughing, that's really all that counts.  Yes, keep an eye out for any swelling and continued redness, but if she sees that you're worrying, she's gonna start to worry too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2009, 11:58:54 PM »

Hitler learns about Sarah Palin's resignation. These youtube folk are fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IzNPEGWNos

Yes, they are!  And I'm amazed at the number of videos using that same clip for different situations.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »

But as I said out loud the other day, I'm content with the fun of having reached 25,000, and I'll stop checking as regularly.

So does this mean you've learned how to set up text alerts to your cellphone each time another 500 views occurs?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »

I'm now watching "America's Got Talent."  They have some fun acts on the episodes that I've watched. 

George

« Reply #208 on: July 05, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »

I'm finally able to ketchup on some of the TV shows that I've recorded.  Tomorrow, however, I have to go to my sister's (yet again) and help her with something.

George

« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up