Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DOWN AND DIRTY NOTES  (Read 21491 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE DOWN AND DIRTY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »

PAGE TWO!!   PAGE TWO!!   PAGE TWO!!   PAGE TWO!!   PAGE TWO!!   PAGE TWO!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

Unfortunately they only had us proof the "marquee" page of the program, and they had my name there.  The Executive Producer, who is a very sweet lady, was quite upset by it all last night and, yes, it sounds like they'll be doing a placard and insert.  They do have a nice pre-announce mentioning me and I get a spotlight for a nanosecond.  Ah, stardom.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »

Wow! It's later than I thought. I need to head down, check the mail, and get some lunch cooking.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »

Unfortunately they only had us proof the "marquee" page of the program, and they had my name there.  The Executive Producer, who is a very sweet lady, was quite upset by it all last night and, yes, it sounds like they'll be doing a placard and insert.  They do have a nice pre-announce mentioning me and I get a spotlight for a nanosecond.  Ah, stardom.  ;)

Fame, thou glittering bauble . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

Jose, you asked last night about that Titanic memorial.  I have no clue what it might be, but I am fascinated.  I thought I knew all the New York Titanic memorials.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »

DR JMK - left out YOUR bio?  After all THIS pre production?  Wow!

I remember when that happened to me on a production of A Chorus Line in Maryland.  I was originally brought on just to "help" the musical director since he was finishing up another gig during the first two weeks of rehearsal.  Well, it turned out that meant teaching about 80% of the show to the cast.  Including the Montages.  And then I was asked to play in the pit for the run.  Well...

Opening night, I head out to the lobby an hour before curtain to grab a program.  I'm not listed on the credits page... That's OK.  I'm not listed in the "Thank You's".... Umm...  Then I find that I'm not even listed with the orchestra - and what's the first thing you hear in A Chorus Line?!?!?  Well...

I happened to walk by the director, and she noticed that I didn't look too happy.  I just handed her the program and said, "Look...".  She started apologizing profusely for the oversight.  She was still making the rounds of the opening night crowd, but she said she would take care of it.  At half hour, I made another pass through the lobby since I had some friends who were coming to the see the show that night.  On all the little portable signs that were set up at each entrance to the theatre a "Special Thank You To..." was posted, and the following night, they had a separate program insert made up for me.

*Needless to say, the musical director/conductor ended up buying me my post-show drinks and dinner for the duration of the run. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »

Don't forget the roses.  There must be roses!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »

Jose, you asked last night about that Titanic memorial.  I have no clue what it might be, but I am fascinated.  I thought I knew all the New York Titanic memorials.

DR TCB - I'll do some further investigation via the link DR JRand posted earlier, and I know my friend, Andy, who took that picture - he lives just two blocks from the house - has also been trying to get more information.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

And...

Good Afternoon!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »

OH!

And one more thing about the line-craziness for Shakespeare in the Park...

The production closes tomorrow.  The line for tonight's performance started forming last night. At 8:00pm! Security had people start lining up along Central Park West in front of the Natural History Museum.

WOW!!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »

OK.. Time for me to play tour guide for a couple of hours.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »

DR JMK - left out YOUR bio?  After all THIS pre production?  Wow!

I agree :o  My feelings would also be a bit hurt.  I'm glad the show went well.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 09:17:14 AM »

DR JOSE - it looks like the plaque on that house says Titanic International, which is this group:

http://www.titanicinternationalsociety.org/index.html

Maybe an officer or member lives there.

I met Mr Haas and Mr. Eaton on my trip to the Titanic resting site.  Together they have written several books on the Titanic
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »

:D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »

I'm up - there seem to be a couple of workers working on Saturday.  Oh, well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

MattH, I think I missed the post with your suggestion or I would have given it a whirl.  I may go back to the bitstream audiophile choice - the only thing you don't get is weird secondary audio things, like noises when you click on menu items, and I think I'm jiggy with that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »

Looks pretty out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »

But I'm not feeling pretty.  I'm feeling like a bit of a chump and I'm deciding what to do about it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »

But I'm not feeling pretty.  I'm feeling like a bit of a chump and I'm deciding what to do about it.

Why, Bk, what happened?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »

Last night Keith turned on the TV just in time to see the SyFy Imagination add (I don't remember the whole logo) and he couldn't figure out what SyFy was.;D  He never imagined it was for SciFi.  Looking at it I decided it should be pronounced Cee Fee.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »

The Titanic exhibition in New York is something put together by Discovery Channel

Titanic

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »

Good morning everyone.

To a really happy and beautiful Saturday to us all.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »

It's starting to get hot outside, I already had fun this morning driving the other car to keep the battery charged.  If I can afford to transfer ownership over and pay for a year of insurance this Saturday (the 40 day probate will be over) it will be my weekend car.   I forgot how much fun a stick shift car can be.

But I'm back inside the apartment and I will not allow myself to stop today until the rest of the boxes are gone through and put away.  I can't live in a maze anymore, need my open space to think.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »

The Titanic exhibition in New York is something put together by Discovery Channel

Titanic

Ben, I don't believe the photo that Jose posted last night is from the Artifact Exhibit.
“One thing’s universal,

Sam

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »

I should have a full car load of stuff to go to Out of the Closet tomorrow morning, and then off to the Fiesta of Gems at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium.   I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING. I WILL NOT. I WILL NOT. I WILL NOT.  (sparkly things just seem to say buy me please).

Sam

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:49 AM »

PERFECT VIBES FOR EVERYONE FOR THE WEEKEND.  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »

Why, Bk, what happened?

It all has to do with what happened last Sunday.  The chumpism comes from trying to remain nice despite what's in front of me.  It's okay most of the time - but sometimes people just baffle me and I'm afraid that in this case that's not a good approach. 

DAW

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »

(sparkly things just seem to say buy me please)

I know just what you mean...

Laura

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »

I don't have anything to say today, except that I have the cutest kittens in town.

François

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »

From ocregister.com

Though Disney officials say there have probably been thousands of real wedding proposals at Disneyland, this one was acted out by members of Disneyland’s musical and parade performing cast.

“The video was very popular,” said Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown. “We thought a ’spontaneous musical’ would be a fun way to get the message out about celebrating at Disneyland Resort while highlighting our summer offerings. The response has been great. People love it.”

The idea was to get the video — basically an extended commercial for Disneyland — on the Web through the DisneyParks YouTube channel and have it travel virally around the Internet through re-posting on other YouTube users’ channels, social networking sites, e-mail and social link-sharing sites like digg.

So far, it seems to be working: posted last month on the DisneyParks YouTube channel, it’s gotten more than 700,000 views; re-posted on another user’s site, it has well over 100,000 views.  The video  has more than 2,500 “diggs,” as in the number of times users recommended the video on the digg site.

As of this post, the video views will shoot up even more — we linked to it, so it must be working, right?

The trouble is, all those views and recommendations don’t necessarily translate to people visiting the park.

“You really have to approach viral marketing as an experiment,”  said Greg Witt, the creative director for Premise Immersive Marketing. “You can do really cool viral stuff for 5 or 10K. The barriers to entry are low… but this is an emerging medium and it’s moving at light speed. Nobody has a metric on it.”

In other words, you can tell viewers watched your video 700,000 times, and that’s it. It’s not like putting an ad in the newspaper for your restaurant and the day it runs you have 50 extra customers in your restaurant.

“The value of viral marketing is when something really seems authentic and has some entertainment value to it,” Witt said. “When people want to share it and it doesn’t seem so corporate.”

But wait a minute — Disney’s wedding proposal video doesn’t say specifically that it’s staged, though Disney posted it on the company’s own channel. Is that deceitful?

“It’s more stealthy,” Witt said. “That’s OK if there’s a good sarcastic and snarkiness to it. The stuff that is really, really fabricated… It’s the same as making a really bad TV commercial.

“If you can come with an emotional response and wrap your brand around that, young people are big supporters of that and they don’t mind being marketed to like that.”

The proposal video is Disney’s second foray into viral video marketing — the first was posted in January to promote Disney’s “Celebrate!” promotion, the lynchpin of which is a deal that lets guests into the park free on their birthdays.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up