Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ENIGMA VARIATIONS  (Read 16012 times)

Ginny

Re: ENIGMA VARIATIONS
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »

I assume it's the Gale I'm thinking of.

They're actually GaleCengage now, but the company has been providing fleets of shuttle busses for ALA conferences ever since I started attending 36 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »

Bruce it is nice to have friends like that.

And I guess friends should be honest... I like the concept, however your cover is a bit busy for my eyes.  The typeface on the spine, IMHO, will be very difficult to read.

Grant wanted as many of the postcards as he could get, and it really suits what the book is about.  We talked about its busy-ness, but he really liked the number of postcards.  As to the spine, it's very easy to read in the hi-rez version - but I still think he's going to make my name smaller, which means then the whole spine treatment can come up a notch, which will help.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:15:03 PM by bk »

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »

My computer needs recharging and so do I - 'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »

Bruce it is nice to have friends like that.

And I guess friends should be honest... I like the concept, however your cover is a bit busy for my eyes.  The typeface on the spine, IMHO, will be very difficult to read.

Grant wanted as many of the postcards as he could get, and it really suits what the book is about.  We talked about its busy-ness, but he really liked the number of postcards.  As to the spine, it's very easy to read in the hi-rez version - but I still think he's going to make my name smaller, which means then the whole spine treatment can come up a notch, which will help.

I really get out the multiple postcards fit the title.  I will be curious to see what your name reduction does for the spine.  If you like I can ask the opinion of a publisher ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2009, 07:51:58 PM »

I have never understood the attraction of drugs. I like to feel good, in control, and able to be attuned to my sensory perceptions. The couple of times in my life I got drunk were ridiculous and stupid and LEARNING experiences for me. I doubt seriously I shall ever repeat that particular kind of stupidity.

But I'm certainly not proud of it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »

I did not hike this morning, I didn't even walk at all today.  I just ate.  I should really have gone for a walk after our company left. 

We did go out for brunch, their treat, and I had a delicious breakfast.  I remembered a fairly new restaurant they had never eaten at. :)

Jane

« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

I agree Matt H.  I like the taste of alcohol, not what it does to me.  Well, I do like the initial feeling but nothing more. ;D I would never drink if it didn't taste so darn good.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

It's been a pretty busy night for viewing here. I began with CONQUEST FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, the penultimate APES movie on Blu-ray. The movie has never looked good; it's always been dark (I read to better hide that so many of the apes were wearing cheap masks instead of the ape appliance make-up that drove up the budget.)

That said, the Blu-ray looks by far the best it's ever looked. There are some shots that have never been focused and have always looked smeared on home video. They still look soft and somewhat smeared, but they still look better than I've ever seen them, and the close-ups were incredibly detailed.

Jane

« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »

'night

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »

When I finished that, I remembered that one of the things I wanted to do this weekend was spend some advanced time watching THE TOWERING INFERNO bonus features on DVD, so that when the Blu-ray arrives this week (likely after street date), all I'll have to do is watch the movie and listen to the commentaries.

I did watch all of the bonus features this evening. Amazing that a movie THAT big and with THAT many stars only cost $14 million. I mean, in 1974, $14 million was a nice chunk of change, but nothing compared to the budgets of, say, HELLO DOLLY or PAINT YOUR WAGON a few years earlier.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »

I concluded my evening of viewing with tonight's TRUE BLOOD. Lots of intriguing plots going on (I could have skipped the orgy at Sookie's house), but they're really only dribbling out the information in tiny little bits thus far.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »

DR Jennifer,

I have no idea about how the remaining episodes of THE FASHION SHOW will be laid out. Since this is the first season for the show, no precident has been established, so I think it's anyone's guess.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

I got my internet surfing done quickly tonight, so I'm off downstairs now to go to bed.

Good night!

Kerry

« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

I just realized my camera has a "cuisine" setting...who knew?

Can it Frappé?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

I love the book cover, Bruce!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »

I've been looking at it, and I even thought about asking him to do one version with five or six instead of ten, but I just like the whole vibe of it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »

Good Evening!

DR FJL - Thank You.  I needed that.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »

DR Jennifer,

I have no idea about how the remaining episodes of THE FASHION SHOW will be laid out. Since this is the first season for the show, no precident has been established, so I think it's anyone's guess.

Well...

Since Andy Cohen is on Twitter - twitter.com/BravoAndy - I do know that six designers showed in the "finals" a couple of weeks ago.  If you want to, you could go back through his timeline/tweets and find out who those six designers were.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »

I've been looking at it, and I even thought about asking him to do one version with five or six instead of ten, but I just like the whole vibe of it.

I like it too, but...

Had either of you thought of making the title of the book and even your name another postcard? I think the framing of the title would help it pop out more. You could have the background be a solid color, and then have the lettering "blended" with the graphics.  Like some of the classic Atlantic City postcards:

Even just the word "Hollywood" treated like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Thanks, Jose.

And speaking of Sondheim parodies, did we alreday link to this NY Times piece on this mini-movie from collegehumor.com called WEB SITE STORY?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/feeling-tweety-in-web-site-story/

(The above is a link to the NY Times article on the movie.)

Per the article:

"Mr. Reich said Stephen Sondheim, the show’s lyricist, read the script for “Web Site Story” and “liked it.” But he refused to do a cameo.

“Our dream was to get him at the end watching the video on his computer screen and saying, ‘I have to cancel my Google alert,’” said Mr. Reich."
-------------

Did they ever really think Sondheim would even consider doing such a guest appearance???  Such that it's described as him "refusing" to do a cameo???
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:17:13 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2009, 09:12:52 PM »

Thanks, Jose.

And speaking of Sondheim parodies, did we alreday link to this NY Times piece on this mini-movie from collegehumor.com called WEB SITE STORY?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/feeling-tweety-in-web-site-story/

Per the article:

"Mr. Reich said Stephen Sondheim, the show’s lyricist, read the script for “Web Site Story” and “liked it.” But he refused to do a cameo.

“Our dream was to get him at the end watching the video on his computer screen and saying, ‘I have to cancel my Google alert,’” said Mr. Reich."

Did they ever really think Sondheim would do such a guest appearance???  Such that it's described as him "refusing" to do a cameo???

I believe DR Laura linked to that video a few days ago.  -And it's still going viral over on Facebook.

As for "refusing", if they asked, and he said, "No," then he technically did "refuse".
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »

Jose - My post above is a link to the NY Times article, which just appeared on Friday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »

And now that I've thought about it for a few more minutes... I'm not getting any sort of "teen vibe" from the cover.  I know that Adriana is not your "typical" teenage girl, but...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »

What's meant by going viral?  Is there a number of views you need to get classified as going viral?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2009, 09:17:08 PM »

Jose - My post above is a link to the NY Times article, which just appeared on Friday.

Oh, duh.  Nevermind. ;)

*And thanks to Twitter, I read that story Thursday night. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »

DR FJL - Remember, it's not about the numbers.  It's not about the numbers!

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »

It's not?  Uh, oh.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »

OH!

bk - You could also make the blurbs "postcards" - and even have them "signed" buy DR Pogue and Mr. Lochte. -And then they wouldn't have to be "squared" off with the book cover.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »

OK.. I'll stop. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »

In other news...

I did make it over to 14th Street and 2nd Avenue to witness Manhattanenge.  It was pretty cool.

*And I'm just glad that I - and the other people around me trying to snap pictures of the event - did not get hit by any cars or taxis while standing in the middle of the street. ::)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up