Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE  (Read 36136 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:01:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have done their job, their work is finished and now it is time for you to post little posties all the livelong day. :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:01:38 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:26:25 AM »

First of all - re the Notes - I must protest.
I did not eat myself silly  :P. I ate myself quite serious.

As for the question du jour. Two extravagant purchases come to mind. One when I was a teenager. I traveled with my mother to Nassau. She went to gamble and took me along, in part, to keep her from spending too much. I was to hold her purse and control her if she wanted to spend over a certain amount each night. Of course this didn't work. Once she went past her limit she'd demand her purse back and eventually I'd be forced to give it to her. It was an interesting trip, to say the least! To get to the purchase... our first day in Nassau I saw in the window of an expensive shop a Murano glass figure of an orchestra conductor. The price of the figurine was everything I had saved up for the trip and then some. Each day I would go back to the window and stare at it. On the last day, I finally went in and bought it! I still have it (broken baton, but otherwise fine). But right now it's in a box - not broken I hope - because I had no room to put it out in my last move.
The other purchase was a drawing. I was a young impecunious actress. A friend of mine was a part-time art critic in Toronto. I went with her one Saturday to an exhibit she was going to be writing about. At the exhibit I fell in love with a drawing of a swimmer - one of a series. The cost for me at the time was HUGE and totally not SENSIBLE - but I bought it. Still have it - but also in a box.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:28:21 AM »

I have a thing when I get my first pay cheque from each film,  I buy myself a present to celebrate.  My first big film money, I bought a set of Encyclopedia Britannica. I still have them.  On Psycho III I bought myself a six foot poster of Gunga Din.  It was really not that expensive.  When the man told me it was only six hundred dollars, I said, "Wrap it up."  I was thinking it was going to thousands of dollars, which I'm sure is what it is worth now. It is a poster from a 1947 re-release of the film but it is still very elegant and hangs in my front hall.  I also bought myself enormous four-sheet poster of The Scarlet Claw, a Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie.  All my other extravagant buys have mostly been books.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 12:30:55 AM by Charles Pogue »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 03:54:50 AM »

Good morning, all!  BK, I gather Tammy is now in Los Angeles?  The last time I saw her was the day we recorded "Joshua Novick."  I hope she's well and that you will give her my regards when you next see her.

My most extravagant purchase?  When I started working on the Roxbury Gershwin recording project, we were editing GIRL CRAZY.  I thought I'd be staying with the project so I bought the complete Kalmus edition of the orchestra scores for the Gilbert and Sullivan operas.  I was fired during the prep for the next recording, STRIKE UP THE BAND, so I probably should have saved the money.  Well, I always preferred Sir Arthur to George, and my departure from Roxbury introduced me to dear BK, so I've never regretted the extravagance whenever I look at a Sullivan score.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 04:25:35 AM »

Most extravagant purchases:
My season tickets to the Broadway tours.
My nice digital camera
My "notebook" computer (still in the box)
My many weekend trips with my daughter
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:28:52 AM »

I got this lovely photo the other day with my nice digital camera (an extravagant purchase).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 05:22:16 AM »

Many of my extravagant purchases aren't of "things" per se, for instance, my trips to Europe over the years, (especially this last sojourn of 17 days), would probably be considered extravagant. We have the memories (how Hallmark) and the pictures but no specific thing.

My purchase of a full price ticket to see Barbara Cook in her Mostly Sondheim show.

Lunch at La Cote Basque, a high-end French restaurant in New York which will be closing this spring after over 30 years of dinner and lunch.

Considering the exchange rate at the time, High Tea at Harrod's in London this past Christmas holiday was extravagant but worth every penny (or pence).

I'm sure there are other things but I can't think of them at the moment.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 05:37:33 AM »

Sorry to hear La Cote Basque is closing.  Guess I'll have to go to Lutece instead.  Whoops!

BK & Panni: Were you at the Sunset Hamlet, or the one on Beverly Drive?

The most extravagant thing I ever bought myself was a little DAT recorder.  During the run of Area 51 http://hometown.aol.com/mprovizr/Index.html I realized there'd be no opportunity to get our cast of 17 into a recording studio (and Jay Aubrey Jones was leaving early for a paying job), so it would be, once again, up to me to preserve the thing on tape.  So I walked into J&R and asked what I should do.  The DAT that's been preserved for history was recorded exactly four years ago last night.

It's not like me to spend big sums of money on myself.  Theatre tickets, sure, but things?  Of course, Our Wedding cost a pretty penny, but we're still getting some of that back selling the CD www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 06:23:02 AM »

Probably my most extravagent purchase was when I lost my prior job and took part of my termination paper and bought a new computer.  As it turned out, I landed my current job in less than a week and the computer (which I still have) didn't even arrive until after I started my current job.

I'm about 2/3 done with KRITZER TIME.  I knew it would be as good as BENJAMIN KITZER and KRITZERLAND, but I didn't expect it to be even better.  It is.  I'll make more specific comments after I am finished.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 06:58:45 AM »

I suppose my most extravagant present to myself was the HDTV I now have. I had a perfectly good widescreen set, but it wasn't capable of high definition, and once I knew I could get all of the TV networks' high definition over the air with an indoor antenna, I just couldn't rest until I had a high definition set.

A few months after I bought my new set, my cable  service converted to high definition broadcasting too, but they still don't carry the WB in high definition, so I still made wise decisions in getting the HDTV and the HDTV receiver at the same time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 07:21:45 AM »

I think my most extravagant purchases would be my trips to Los Angeles. It always wipes me out because I spend a lot of money on food and movie memorabilia and gifts for past interviewees who I get to meet! But the memories of my visits will stay with me always!

My other extravagant purchase would be my current computer. It has a lot of bells and whistles, like a DVD burner which I use frequently.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:36:49 AM »

BK & Panni: Were you at the Sunset Hamlet, or the one on Beverly Drive?

Over the hill, DR Noel. (Not us, the restaurant.) It was Sherman Oaks (or perhaps Encino.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 07:39:31 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »

My review is up on Amazon for Kritzer Time - but of course it was here first!

Welcome to Goddess Danise...and belated birthday to DRAngela.

I have been E/T - not feeling well but on the road to recovery!

Like DRCHARLES POGUE, when I get paid for work in theatre be it directing, acting, or etc - I always buy myself something with the money to remember the show by.  My first such purchase was my first VCR way back in 1985!

With my check from LOVING LUCY I am being a bit more practical:  new eyeglasses and contacts!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 08:04:04 AM »

Hey where is DR Jose?

RE: last night's American Idol

Bottom 3: Diana, Camille, and Matt.

I was totally shocked that Diana (the cute 16 yr old) was in the bottom three. I thought she did great on Tuesday.  I wasn't surprised that Amy (pink hair) went through to next week (she got GREAT REVIEWS, which IMO really helps).  But Diana got nice comments too. So who knows.

Ryan sent Diana to sit back with the group. So it was down to Camille and Matt.  Now they are my two least favorites, so I would have been happy either way.  But I've really never liked Matt. So secretly I was hoping it was him.  AND IT WAS.

I will say this, I felt so bad for him after he got the boot.  He seems nice.  He just wasn't my cup of tea.  Especially since out of everyone left, to me, I have always been positive that he would NOT be the next American Idol.

Right now IMO, it could be LaToya, Fantasia, Diana, JPL, or Jasmine ... I really have no idea.  But I knew Matt had no chance.

BUT that said, I thought the performance he gave AFTER he was kicked off, was amazing.  He was charming and funny.  His song was about love, and he walked up and sang it to Simon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 08:09:53 AM »

Such extravagent postings, not in number but certainly in content.  Now, we do need some more because I use these here lovely postings to wake up and get my brain in gear, so, to it, I say.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 08:10:00 AM »

I had a dire feeling Matt was going to be voted out because when I called, there was no busy signal and this was at a time when then others had busy signals. I objected to Matt's rejection not because I thought he was a great singer (he wasn't by a longshot), but because he was entertaining to watch. I cannot say that about Camile whose quavery vocals and zero amount of stage presence and ease is triply painful to sit through each week.

I think folks just forgot about Diana. She sang first, did a fine job, and at the beginning of a LONG two hour show, it's easy to be forgotten with other fine singers coming after you. I still think she has a real chance of winning.

Unquestionably the one with the most ease in front of the audience is LaToya. I really feel she's going to be the eventual winner.

Next week's theme is Motown.

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 08:20:08 AM »

Looking through the $5.99 bins at Best Buy I picked up some fun DVDs of classic tv shows...a set of several episodes each of Scott Brady’s SHOTGUN SLADE series and John Bromfield’s U.S MARSHAL. Also found a set of Tarzan films with one film each of Gordon Scott, Buster Crabbe, Elmo Lincoln, Bruce Bennet, and Glenn Morris's Tarzans!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 08:53:58 AM »

My purchase of multiple theatre, concert and opera subscriptions must certainly qualify as extravagant.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 08:56:13 AM »

"THE JOGGING JEW"
"THE HUNGRY JEW"
"PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE"

I see a pattern emerging 8)

der Brucer

TOD:

Q. What is the most extravagant thing you’ve ever bought for yourself and do you still have it?

A. A wife/No!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 09:00:49 AM »

As penance for missing yesterday, I herewith post tu jokes (is tu half of a tutu?)

Joke the First:

What a life.....in America?

A husband and wife were having dinner at a very fine restaurant when this absolutely stunning young woman comes over to their table, gives the husband a big open mouthed kiss, then says she'll see him later and walks away.

The wife glares at her husband and says, "Who the hell was that?"

"Oh," replies the husband, "she's my mistress."

"Well, that's the last straw," says the wife. "I've had enough, I want a divorce!"

"I can understand that," replies her husband, "but remember, if we get a divorce it will mean no more shopping trips to Paris, no more wintering
in Barbados, no more summers in Tuscany, no more Infiniti or Lexus in the garage and no more yacht club. But the decision is yours."

Just then, a mutual friend enters the restaurant with a gorgeous babe on his arm.

"Who's that woman with Jim?" asks the wife.

"That's his mistress," says her husband.

"Ours is prettier," she replies.

Joke the Second:

A man goes into a lawyer's office and says, "I heard people have sued the tobacco companies for giving them lung cancer, and McDonald s for making them fat."

The lawyer says, "Yes, that's true."

The man says, "Well, I'm interested in suing too."

The lawyer says, "Okay, McDonald's , or the tobacco companies?"

The man says, "Neither. I'm suing Budweiser for all the ugly people I've slept with."

der Brucer (Here's to ugly people - I'll drink to that!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 09:02:43 AM »

My purchase of multiple theatre, concert and opera subscriptions must certainly qualify as extravagant.

One should never classify "necessities" as "extravagant".

DERBRUCER

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 09:04:53 AM »

I got this lovely photo the other day with my nice digital camera (an extravagant purchase).

Great! I get Buzzards and you get Roadrunners!
Life is not fair!

der envious Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 09:09:26 AM »

Matt's ouster last night was da pits.

Camile ought to be ashamed to even walk on the stage.

LaToya, to me, is a HUGE disappointment.  Nothing she has sung in the past two weeks even registers remotely for me as a good performance.

Diana DeGarmo apparently grates on Simon's nerves...last week he said, "You remind me of a doll.  A great..big...DOLL!"  And said not a thing about her performance.

This week he took her to task for having started singing when she was little...for having been "bred to sing", as if that were somehow a bad thing.

Diana doesn't need Simon and he resents it, for some reason.

Bad choice last night, America.  Very bad choice.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 09:15:38 AM »

What I love about Diana and Jon Peter are the gracious ways they take negative comments. Jon Peter said, "All right then, thank you anyway" the other night. I just loved him for that. Quite different from the attitude and feisty mouthing off we got from Fantasia and Jennifer.

To be honest, Fantasia reminded me of "Aunt Esther" (LaWanda Page) from the old SANFORD AND SON series in the way she puffed herself up with indignation when she didn't get raves from Simon. "You just don't know class, Simon," she said. Uh, that's classy?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 09:19:50 AM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 09:29:57 AM »

This will really P-off the Administration:

Log Cabin Republicans News Release
For Immediate Release
March 22, 2004
Log Cabin Republicans Public Affairs
(202) 347-5306 or (202) 297-9807 (cell)

Log Cabin Republicans Respond to "new" Anti-Family Constitutional Amendment

Call on Senator Allard to Co-sponsor Legislation to Extend Benefits and Privileges He Claims to Support

(Washington, DC)-Log Cabin Republicans respond to the so-called "new" anti-family Constitutional amendment unveiled on Monday.  

"Log Cabin Republicans and the majority of Americans oppose any attempt to write discrimination into the Constitution.  This is a weak attempt to sugarcoat a discriminatory amendment," said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director Patrick Guerriero.

"Log Cabin's position has not changed.  The far right should leave our sacred Constitution alone.  Today the far right is trying to figure out the most politically palatable way to write discrimination into the Constitution.  There is no way to do so.  You can't disguise discrimination.  Their strategy has changed, their motives have not," continued Guerriero.

Leading far right news organizations, including Pat Robertson's CBN News, report many on the far right support an amendment explicitly banning civil unions.  Because the call to amend the Constitution has been weakly received, far right groups will try to push through this "new" amendment and then fight civil unions and domestic partner benefits in the courts and legislatures in the states where such laws have already been passed and might be passed by future majorities.

In announcing the most recent changes and attempting to soften the image of those associated with this amendment, Senator Wayne Allard (R-CO) said, in referring to gay Americans, "I'm an American, they're Americans.  I think they are entitled to the same benefits and privileges as any American..."  

In response to Senator Allard, Guerriero said, "We agree with Senator Allard and we call on Congresswoman Musgrave and Senator Allard to live up to those words by co-sponsoring legislation, with us, that would extend the same benefits and privileges that he spoke of by creating domestic partner benefits for all federal employees and to co-sponsor legislation that would create federal civil unions."

der Brucer (pleased to see some bang for his buck!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 09:39:08 AM »

I shall go blind if I keep using this site alone!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 09:48:17 AM »

Yes, where in tarnation IS everyone.  Most unseemly.  We need our denizens.  Oh, denizens, come out, come out, wherever you are.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 09:56:36 AM »

My most extravagant purchases:

I suppose my first-class round-trip plane tickets to South Carolina over the Christmas holidays were an extravagance.  They were certainly essential to my peace of mind and kept my stress to a minimum.  But they were dear.

Personal "objets" that were an extravagance include my entire home stereo set-up with surround speakers and DTS receiver,  and DTS DVD player; however, if one is going to spend a small fortune on CDs and DVD, it could be considered "essential"! (?)

I suppose the easel with signatures of the cast/crew of Baz Luhrmann's "La Boheme" was a bit of an extravagance.

Ditto my "Return of the King" poster autographed by 27 of the cast/crew including all the hobbits, Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Arwen, Peter Jackson and Howard Shore could be considered an extravagance, but....hey! I worked for that money and I'll danged well spend it the way I want to.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Emily

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2004, 10:01:04 AM »

Most extravagant purchase (in that it had absolutely no useful purpose):

An afternoon at the Ritz for high tea (which cost a whopping $55 for a tray of eensy-weensy strawberries, sandwices, cookies and, of course, lots of premium tea!)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 10:06:43 AM »

DR MattH, I totally agree with what you said about American Idol's Diana.  I remember remarking at the time, how gracious she was when accepting Simon's comments.  True class.

I don't know if LaToya will win.  It's very hard to predict right now.  I have no idea how the public is voting since we cannot see the top vote-getters.  Plus things change as we progress.  There could be many of the same people voting for Fantasia, LaToya and Jennifer.  When one or more leave, their votes could easily go to the other.

Last night I was happy that my favs (JohnS and Jon Peter) were safe early.  I know they aren't the best.  But I just like them both.

But unlike last year (when I loved Clay right from the beginning), I am totally undecided on who I think should win.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up