Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE  (Read 36012 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »

Kinda hard to call a man who frequently shops for cars and such on eBay thrifty.  Your father LOVES to spend money, Ann... as long as it's on sale!

Okay, I concede.  But I sitll insist that he is thrifty...just not stingy.  The is a man who, last time I was home, proudly showed me his new shoes that he'd bought at Ross (a discount store we have around the northwest)  They were the ugliest shoes known to man, bright brick red leather tennis shoes...and no one else would buy them, so he got them at a great price.  That didn't bother him, though, as he said modestly "I can wear anything and make it look good.." :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2004, 02:39:55 PM »

though the rewirte will be more involved than I would have wished for.

That Freud knew what he was talkin' about!
(It's a rare day when a rewirte ISN'T more than we wish for.)
But it's nice to hear the chap seems pleasant. Could be worse, could be far worse. And the rewirte would STILL be more than you wished for.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2004, 02:43:28 PM »

WOW, I'm so jealous!

I bid on a Merman purse once on eBay, but I lost.  I don't do eBay anymore, it's simply too addictive.

My main extravagance is theatre tickets and trips to NYC.  I mean, not that there isn't great theatre in DC (there's some amazing stuff and I'm seriously looking forward to the Tennesee Williams festival this summer), but I'm a Broadway Baby.  I need me theatre and lots of it.  

Yes, Maya, but the problem with theatre in DC is that there is always that one really strange musician down in the pit, who makes the whole evening just a little weird!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2004, 02:46:39 PM »

Good work-related vibes to DRs Charles Pogue & Panni ~~~~~~~~~~

I am trying to think of the most extravagant thing I've bought myself.  Usually when there is something I want, I just wait for a birthday (like waterbed, bike ...).

I've also done NYC trips and theatre tickets.  And I did take a cruise a few years back.  But I cannot think of anything really extravagant that I own.

My mom is also very cost effective.  But I think it was a good thing for my sister and I.  Because we really learned how to manage our money early.  Plus i know how to look for sales!

Panni

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2004, 02:46:55 PM »

ABIE SENDS...

GOOD VIBES TO ECHO!

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2004, 02:49:43 PM »

RE: the discussion a while back about steaming vegetables in the microwave

They take WAY more than ONE MINUTE. Or at least mine did.  Closer to ten.  And use water. Very important.  I actually found a microwave cook book and it lists all kinds of veggies.

Yeah The Apprentice is on tonight!

Teams from the previews are: Kwame, Troy, and Bill vs Amy, Katrina, and Nick.  They go to Atlantic City.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2004, 02:50:43 PM »

TCB I wanted to go on that Titanic trip.....but you're right nobody else wanted to go!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2004, 02:51:19 PM »

Thank you for the good vibes. Keep 'em coming. I've got to get this job! (A Chorus Line reference)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2004, 02:53:06 PM »

I am watching Lost In Translation, and although it's interesting to see Tokyo, I am not liking much of anything else.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2004, 02:53:58 PM »

Yes, Maya, but the problem with theatre in DC is that there is always that one really strange musician down in the pit, who makes the whole evening just a little weird!

*giggles*

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »

I am so boring with money. I have spent so much on overseas trips, theatre tickets and music but I have always saved for them so nothing seemed like an extravagence at all.
Only major expense not saved for was the recent operation on Magnus - and that was a priority and essential.

You are so right, Tomovoz.  The money that we spend on our babies can never be considered an extravagence.  And whatever the cost, it is still never enough to repay them for the unconditional love that they give to us each day.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2004, 02:59:29 PM »

Dear Dogs Roller and Blackjack send their good wishes to Dear Dog Echo!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2004, 03:09:43 PM »

MattH, re: Matt is somewhat to blame for his ouster.  Last night in his farewell clip, they showed that moment when he came out of the first audition, singing opera...We never in the competition heard that powerful voice which he displayed in that moment.  I, for one, kept waiting for it.

That, said, it's utterly inconceivable that the inadequate Camille is still in the running.   Just as it was inconceivable she wasn't in the bottom three the previous week.  The judges, for some inexplicable reason have been inordinately kind to her (though Simon's pretty much called a spade a spade).  She's got to be living on borrowed time though...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2004, 03:18:39 PM »

So this morning I get a call from Harlan Ellison, who says:  "I don't know how to tell you this but...you and I are under the covers together."  There is a book out written by an Australian bibliophile, John Baxter, called a POUND OF PAPER.  In one of the many appendices, he asks several known writers and book collectors along the lines of Harlan and Ray Bradbury and others in whose illustrious company I should not be included, but apparently am, the time-old question if your house caught fire and you could only save one book from your collection which one would it be:  My answer was one of my British firsts of SHE by H. Rider Haggard.  Along with my reasons why. I have no memory of talking or corresponding with Mr. Baxter and can find no email trail.  But I must have done so.  It was the answer I would have given, couched in exactly the words and phrasing I would have used, with the details I would have used, I even vaguely remember giving/writing this answer sometime back, but I can't remember where or when (A Rodgers & Hart reference!).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2004, 03:32:43 PM »

I don't know about being under the covers with Harlan.  That skeeves me, frankly.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2004, 03:36:02 PM »

"Skeeves"?  Am unfamiliar with this term. Please explain.

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2004, 03:41:40 PM »

The strongest of positive vibes from Echo's friends in the land down under.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 03:43:27 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »

Echo says thank you Abie.  

And Panni, we both wish you GOOD VIBES on this must get job.

JRand53 as much as I like LOST IN TRANSLATION I do find people either like it or they don’t with not many in-betweens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2004, 04:04:52 PM »

Skeeves - gives me the willies.  In other words, if I were under the covers with Mr. Ellison (or these days, with anyone) it would give me the willies.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2004, 04:09:24 PM »

Dear Echo Dog says thank you to dear Dogs Roller and Blackjack and to her friends down under, Fosca & Magnus.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2004, 04:10:59 PM »

I am stillr eading Kritzer Time and I love it!! My favorite of the three. If you haven't read it do so and if you have read it again!!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2004, 04:12:46 PM »

Yay.  Are you almost finished with it?

Michael

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2004, 04:13:48 PM »

almost
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2004, 04:16:08 PM »

"Skeeves"?  Am unfamiliar with this term. Please explain.

I was unsure at first too Charles...

The definitions relating to "skeeves" from the Berkeley Online American-English Slang Dictionary:

skeeve   adj   1. a gross, creepy, etc. person. ("He is such a skeeve.")

skeeve (one) out   v   1. to sicken; GROSS OUT. ("That guy really skeeves me out.")  

skeevy   adj   1. gross, creepy; ICKY, etc. Term was common in Brooklyn, NY, USA in the 1950s and 1960s. ("He's so skeevy.")

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2004, 04:19:26 PM »

Charles Pogue-nice story.  I especially like the fact, if asked today, the answer would be the same.  It would have been a shame if you had wanted to change your answer.  And having read DRAGONHEART, I think you are too modest.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »

DRs Panni and Charles Pogue, best wishes for successful completion of your projects.  My sudden deluge of assignments has ended, and now I'm heading into my what-if-the-phone-never-rings-again anxiety.  Do you go through this angst as well?

DR George, I thought I was the King of Procrastinators, and I have my dear friend BK to swear to it.  I wish you well with your move.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2004, 04:25:02 PM »

Let's have a full report when you finish, Michael.  Skeeves has been one of my favorite words for the last ten years.  A movie poster dealer I know taught it to me.

Danise

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2004, 04:37:25 PM »

Evening all.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]BRANDI AND BEAR SEND BEST VIBES TO DEAR DOG ECHO![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]YOU GO PANNI!  GET THAT JOB!! [/move]

I would have to say that I have bought many things over the years that I guess I shouldn’t have but right now these two trips, back to back, have to be the most expensive and scary things I have ever bought..  I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but I’ve been sick to my stomach since the night I hit the “Buy” button.  Between that and my legs hurting and waking me up every morning at about 2 AM, I’ve been in a miserable,  foul mood.  

I didn't get to read the book today.  Sorry.  

Good news, I've lost 18 pounds as of this morning!  Hoop, hoop, only 12 more to go!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 04:38:34 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2004, 04:48:30 PM »

JRand -- whatever can you MEAN about "Lost in Translation"?  It won an Oscar for screenplay and many folks grieve that Bill Murray didn't win.

:D  I ain't among them.

And I also don't know what was Oscar-worthy about the non-story/screenplay.

But perhaps I'm too rooted in narrative literature to appreciate it.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2004, 04:54:57 PM »

From Archie to Echo - Good Vet Vibes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up