Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DISTRACTED  (Read 19206 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: DISTRACTED
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

I had to cancel lunch out today. I just wasn't physically up to it. I hoped a hot shower would help, but its effects were only temporary. So I fixed a little something simple here and watched HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? I know, it's an old show, but I never watched it, so I thought I would. The GREASE show NBC did a couple of years ago was modeled on this, and it was CERTAINLY modeled on this down to stupid nicknames for the contestants, elaborate production numbers for the contestants that didn't have anything to do with the material they'd be having to perform if cast, etc.

Still, I always enjoy talent shows, and the girl who won was clearly the best of the three girls in the finals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »

Page Four Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »

I also watched when JOSEPH MET MARIA and enjoyed seeing the journey the winner of JOSEPH, Lee, took to get the role. I just wish I liked the show he was vying for better.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

Then I watched another MURDER SHE WROTE episode. This one found Jessica the witness to a hit and run and the driver of the car later up getting killed. This was an easy one to solve.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2009, 01:43:41 PM »

By then the mail had come, and so I put in today's work project: ELVIS PRESLEY: Classic Performances on THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

It's only 47 minutes of music, and Elvis sings his big hits of the period (56-57) three times: once on each installment of the show where he guest starred: "Don't Be Cruel," "Hound Dog," "LOve Me Tender." I'm not sure he was ever great with patter, but he's lousy here, and keeps shading his eyes to see the audience, a complete neophyte. He also uses his guitar more as a prop than an instrument and breaks the mood of songs often with unexpected snickering. He also zips out of camera range at the end of songs rather than stand and bow.

The miking isn't great so many words and notes get lost in the lower registers of his voice or because he mumbles the lyrics.

But there he is: hale, hearty, healthy. Nice to see that image rather than the sad, bloated spectacle he'd become later.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

There are bonus features taken from the show's archives that deal in some way with Elvis - promos, John Byrner's impression of Elvis (poor though he did a great Ed Sullivan). I still have some to watch.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »

Oh, I also had time to speed through today's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Nothing of interest for me. I'll get to the other two soaps later this evening.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

Love that quote from the cheezburger site (whatever it's called) that "hard work pays off in the future but laziness pays off now."  (It sounds familiar.  Was it mentioned here?)

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »

Hopping off-line now to try to get some writing done.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:30 PM »

Drat!

I meant to mention that I see Steven Spielberg is undertaking a remake of HARVEY. Doesn't he remember what happened when he tried to remake the similarly fantastical A GUY NAMED JOE? A big flop called ALWAYS.

True, his WAR OF THE WORLDS did very well, but sci-fi with his name attached usually does. HARVEY will be a different creature all together.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

Laura

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

Take it easy, Matt H. I hope you feel better this afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Michael

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »

Drat!

I meant to mention that I see Steven Spielberg is undertaking a remake of HARVEY. Doesn't he remember what happened when he tried to remake the similarly fantastical A GUY NAMED JOE? A big flop called ALWAYS.

True, his WAR OF THE WORLDS did very well, but sci-fi with his name attached usually does. HARVEY will be a different creature all together.

Harvey is a rabbit or will he be something else in the remake?
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »

Drat!

They'll probably show the rabbit throughout the whole movie. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I finished a bit earlier than last week, so I was able to grab a seat on the 5:05 back to NYC instead of the 6:20. Alas, still no Shoo-Fly Pie this week - guess I'll just have to head down to Union Square tomorrow - but I did get some chocolate-covered pretzels and marshmallows courtesy of the theater. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »

I watched two Bette Davis-Miriam Hopkins films on Saturday:

"The Old Maid" -- very interesting.  First time I had ever seen it.  Hopkins was most restrained (sort of).  Very beautifully produced with a young Jerome Cowan as an almost-love interest for Davis (I miss seeing Cowan nowadays).  Max Steiner's score is curiously devoid of a memorable theme, IMO, but remains an appropriate part of the film.  I wanted to slap "Tina" silly many, many, MANY times.

"Old Acquaintance" -- This is the ONE...the all-time champeen headstrong-diva "wimmin's pitcher" model for "Rich and Famous."  In this one, Hopkins chews the scenery with verve and relish and Davis is stoic, dependable and downright mesmerizing.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Franz Waxman score.

I also watched "O. Henry's Full House".  Yes, it was an "O" Saturday.   The film didn't hold my interest for very long.  I had to skip around.  "The Last Leave" and "The Gift of the Magi" still seem the best of all the segments.  What a cast and what a talented pile of directors doing the segments!  Alfred Newman's score was among his least-effective, I thought.  Very saccharine/schmaltzy.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

I am wondering if all the dear readers who have been congratulating DR Matt H were using the wrong word on purpose. Several people have posted MILLSTONE instead of MILESTONE
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »

Drat!

They'll probably show the rabbit throughout the whole movie. ::)

Were I to do the film, I'd shoot all of Dowd's scenes with Harvey using an actor in a blue rabbit suit.  The final result would be a natural reaction of Dowd interacting with an actual presence, but you'd never see the rabbit.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »

DR elmore - Glad to hear that you made it out of your apartment today. If you need any assistance tomorrow, you know how to reach me. Or if you're feeling really adventurous and eat a meal outside of your apartment, again, you know how to reach me. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

I am wondering if all the dear readers who have been congratulating DR Matt H were using the wrong word on purpose. Several people have posted MILLSTONE instead of MILESTONE

DR Michael S - I guess you had to be there... Or at least have read the posts that started it all a while back.

*I sort of missed it too initially.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

~~~~~PHYSICAL COMFORT VIBES TO DRS MATTH AND ELMORE~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »

In case I read past a previous posting

Here is a link to Skip Kennon's musical HERRINGBONE with BD Wong. It is playing La Jolla Playhouse

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-ca-herringbone2-2009aug02,0,1400612.story
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »

DR Laura - Wow! Your name in lights on a sign! Just like at The Apple Store! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »

bk - As for your JetBlue trouble... I believe ALL the airlines were having weather-related issues that day. JetBlue was not the only airline "having" to inconvenience their passengers at that time. Additionally, almost all the airlines are NOT required to offer any sort of special assistance or compensation for weather-related delays or cancellations. "Act of God." However...

JFK does seem a bit more prone to delays than Newark - it's just a geographic thing. However, JetBlue's shiny new Terminal 5 is now fully open at JFK. New restaurants, lots of plugs and free WiFi, and even a spa! Makes those expected delays a bit more bearable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:41:55 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:03 PM »

DR td - If you happen to read this in time, and get to see her after the show, be sure to give Brynn O'Malley a big Hello from me. She's playing The Baker's Wife.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »

Used Jet Blue for the Pittsburgh trip, and it was a lovely experience in the spanking new JFK terminal. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »

In case I read past a previous posting

Here is a link to Skip Kennon's musical HERRINGBONE with BD Wong. It is playing La Jolla Playhouse

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-ca-herringbone2-2009aug02,0,1400612.story

You mean you don't read all the posts?!?!?!

;)

*Thanks for the LA Times link. I don't think that one has been posted before. -And did you know that HERRINGBONE was also recently presented at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton, NJ, as well as up at the Williamstown Theatre Festival? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »

Yes.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »

So much for a day off.  Had to pay a pile of bills, ship about ten packages, and must now try to address at least half of the packages that have to go out on Wednesday.

Kerry

« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »

Well if it's "What's My Line?" is more of a game show, I think I'll still go with one.   Arlene Francis and Dorothy Kilgallen need my help when it comes to the mystery guest portion of the program.
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up