Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING  (Read 31607 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »

There was never a more cherished pet than Hotspur.  Hotspur (full name Hotspur Plantagenet) was my first dog as an adult.  A perky, independent, 12 lb. Yorkshire Terrier. Too big for a Yorkie and he didn't have any of the proper points.  But what a spirit.  He was feisty, but not high-strung...in fact, somewhat mellow.  I got Hotspur from a litter when my brother and sister-in-law bred their Yorkie.  It was 1976. I was living in Dallas, Texas, acting.  Three weeks after I had him, we were travelling to Columbus where I was touring in The Silver Whistle with Don DeFore and Larry Drake (before his two emmys).  It was the blizzard of '76.  And to see Hotspur leaping through snow and emerging from it with snow puff balls on his legs looking like a poodle was quite a sight.  He became the consummate show biz dog.

Hotspur always travelled with me when I toured.  In dinner theatres, you often have apartments in the theatre.  In many places, Spur was so loved he had the run of the place...If the Health Departments only knew that he could wander in some kitchens and have the chef feeding him, they'd be aghast.  After the show, I'd walk him outside the theatre and he greet the departing audience.  

He was a great traveller, always curling up along side my side in the Old Buick Skylark with his head on my thigh, snoozing complacently as we shot down long stretches of barren Texas highway.  Saving his pit-stops for gas station breaks.  His body clock adjusted perfectly to mine.  He slept for as long as I did, had an exceptional bladder, and was perfectly trained.  Rarely any accidents.

Spur had girlfriends and pals all over the country...Rosie, Nouveau Riche (Rickey), Cherie, Sammy, I Am (Yammer), Cointreau...Many were fellow actors' dogs.  When I toured with Martha Raye, Martha always wanted the actors to come to her place after the show.  She insisted I always collect Hotspur first because she adored him and he played with her yorkie, Conky, and poodle, Dickens, while we all watched old movies or played Password (Maggie always called me the intellectual because when we were partnered, I was always giving her word clues she didn't know the meaning of).  Bob Denver also loved him, "Great dog, dumb name," he would say.  He was wrong.  He was a great dog and it was a perfect name.  The owner of the dinner theatre in Odessa, Texas, loved Spur so much that during rehearsal week when I was in an hotel that didn't take pets before our cast moved into the theatre, she and her husband would baby-sit the dog at her house.  Her hubby was reluctant to turn Spur back over to me, he enjoyed his morning walks with him so much.

There were only two times we were really apart.  I could not have him when I first came out here in the Raye show and played San Clemente, so the parents took him for six weeks where he visited and played with his sister, Bitsy.  When the show moved up to Anaheim, Spur took his first airplane ride in freight out to LAX to stay with me.  He became a seasoned air traveller as well, taking what could have been a stressful trip with his usual aplomb.  

When I was in London for three months shooting my first movies, Hotspur, of course, couldn't go, so went back to the grandfolks and his sis.

The rest of the time we were inseperable.  When the lovely wife,Julieanne, and I got together in the mid-eightes (reunited after a college romance years before), she admitted she was at first a little jealous of Spur.  But that quickly changed when he became her cuddle bunny....usually nestled between us on the couch or in the bed (he slept in the bed from the beginning), and would actually get protective of her and growl at me on occasion if I tried to disturb his cushy position in her arms.

Julieanne was the one who first got him a Schnauzer cut which, while dispensing with his flowing (usually tangled) mane and top knot, was a lot cooler and more comfortable for him and somehow made him look like the butch little guy he was.  He also had an array of t-shirts that he wore in colder weather that sort of gave him that look like Spike the tough bull-dog in the Looney Tunes.  

He was incorrigible beggar incorrigibly indulged by his old man...ate popcorn, pizza, little chocolate donuts, and a trip to the Astro Burger always meant a hot dog for Spur.

He was gregarious and loved company...human or animal.  Uncle Larry Drake was the first one to dubbed him, "You sweet little shit-brained woogie".  Somehow woogie stuck and all our dogs since, despite their names, have become a species known as "the woogs".

In August of '92,  Hotspur was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and given three to six months to live.  Barraged with a daily regimen of pills and medicines, special diets, and lots of attention and care, Spur blithely ignored the doctors' dire predictions, valiantly hanging around for another full year.  And, for most of that, time, though he was slowing down, the quality of his life remained good.  Finally in August of '92, Spur winked out just two months shy of his sixteenth birthday.  We've loved all our pets and all are special in their own way.  But there'll never be another like Hotspur.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 12:29:37 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2004, 10:49:12 AM »

What a wonderful story from DRCP.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2004, 10:58:42 AM »

Hugs and good vibes to Cully from Echo.

The sequel to BARBERSHOP has come and gone from Ashland. We unfortunately missed it will have to wait until it is on DVD

Good Vibes Panni and I wish I could say it doesn’t get easier.  At least your daughter calls you, my boys on the other hand don’t communicate as well.  Then I have Keith reminding me they are grown and not to interfere.  Initially I thought Rachael was still in Hungary when she became ill.  I’m glad she is home.  As for the fingerprinting, I had never heard of such a thing until recently.  I have a friend who has the same problem.  She is a realtor in Arizona & was thinking of applying for an Oregon license but decided the fingerprinting is too much of a hassle.  She did talk of special way to get fingerprinted but I don’t recall what she said.  I can find out if you want.

Dan-in-Toronto it is good to hear Archie has adjusted and the colitis is under control. :D

I’m with Panni, the story of Wilma is very sad.  I have never lived where I couldn’t have my pets.  Once we thought there was a possibility of Keith working in England but new there was no way we could put our pets in quarantine for six weeks.

Jane

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2004, 11:04:24 AM »

Thanks for remembering.  :D :D :D I love it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2004, 11:14:58 AM »

Here's a smaller version of that great photo DRCP!  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »

My sister and I usually had cats while growing up.  However, I work with A LOT of dog people...but I don't have any stories about them.

One very special cat that we had was named Spot.  He was a stray who adopted us when we lived in Colorado (my dad was in the army and I was about 7 or 8 years old).  He was mostly white but had three heart-shaped black spots on his back.  When we moved here to Washington in 1976, Spot rode in the car with us all the way.  He loved to sit in the back of the station wagon (remember those?) and had no trouble travelling.  Before he died, he developed cat leukemia and my dad took him to the vet where they did x-rays.  They found five BBs in him, but no entry wounds.  Evidently, he had been shot in Colorado before we found him.  He was probably only 10 years old when he finally died.

Before and during the years with Spot, we also had four cats (in a row) named Frisky.  One of them had kittens in my sister's bed on her pillow...while my sister was still in the bed!  Another Frisky had kittens in the dryer with clothes still in it.

Happy, the last cat that my parents had (she died two years ago), found us (she was a stray) in 1988.  She had one litter of kittens the year after we found her.  Knowing that cats like to be alone when they give birth, my dad made a box for her with some padding and put it in their bedroom away from everyone.  My aunt and grandmother (dad's sister and mother) were visiting us.  My dad put Happy in her box in the bedroom and left her alone.  After a few minutes, she came out to the living room and started meowing.  My dad walked with her back into the bedroom and she got back into the box, then he left.  A few minutes later, she came out again and started meowing.  This happened a couple more times when my dad realized that she wanted an audience!  He brought the box out into the living room and we all, including my four year old (at the time) niece, watched Happy give birth to her five kittens.  Three of the kittens were given away to people we knew and two of them, my sister and niece kept.  Gigi and Ginger.  Gigi either ran away or was lost or stolen or....  Anyway, she was never found. :(  Ginger however, is still alive and kicking at my niece's paternal grandparents' house (which is right next door to where my niece lives).  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2004, 11:25:48 AM »

I removed the too-big photo, but the second smaller version is PERFECT.  I was in that very room last night as a matter of fact.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2004, 11:26:58 AM »

My allergies seemed to have calmed down a bit today, which is good.  I had a somewhat rough night with the sneezing and the runny nose.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »

That's not a room...it's a wing of the greater LA library!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2004, 11:31:28 AM »

In total I have had 11 cats. When I was in Jr. High I had a cat named Brandy I loved & he was always waiting at the corner for me when I got off the school bus.  One day I returned home to find my mother giving him away.  In high school I had the most beautiful cat name Sr. Lancelot.  He disappeared but, while drunk, my mother said something that made me think she had given him away.  When I moved into my first apartment Keith gave me a kitten that eventually broke through the screen & disappeared.  I was heartbroken and said I would never have a cat again.  Our best friend Ricky said there was this pet store that had love birds.  He & Keith took me there to by me some birds.  I must have looked at the birds for all of two seconds,  ;D then zeroed in on the cats.  This one long haired black cat with white markings kept pawing at me until I had to take her home.  We stopped at the vet who took one look at my scrawny cat & told me the pet store had a reputation for sick pets I should return her immediately.  Of course I didn’t and at the next visit the entire office was shocked to find this beautiful healthy cat I walked in with was the same cat.  We named her Gaea for the goddess of earth.  She was the nicest cat ever, but initially was afraid of almost everyone but me.  Eventually Gaea would let anyone do almost anything to her.  She made friends with all the cats & dogs in the neighborhood and would go for walks with me.  One day My Sin (named for the perfume) joined our family.    My Sin didn’t like Gaea & her daughter Maria and would attack them.  One day Gaea had enough of being attacked, pinned My Sin down on the floor & preceded to clean her.  I said she was the nicest cat ever.  We had her for thirteen years.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2004, 11:31:44 AM »

I don't no librarians that look like that!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2004, 11:31:47 AM »

Well, this is the weekend that I
MUST
MUST
MUST
(that's three very emphatic "musts") move!  My sister's old house is finished and ready to be moved into.  I just have to get my butt in gear, clean my apartment and pack things up.  So, I will be most errant and truant during the day today and tomorrow, and possibly Monday as well.  Wish me luck!!  (I'm going to need it.)

I'm going to listen to Donald's radio show today to inspire me to work.  After that will my very own CDs.  I have the aforementioned concept cast album of Masada with Michelle Nicastro and Davis Gaines, so I might listen to that as well, since it's been awhile.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2004, 11:43:12 AM »

Bruce I sent you email and it was returned.  Are you receiving emails?  I will try again.  Following is a portion of the explanation which I find stange.

Recipient address: haineshisway@aol.com
  Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
  Diagnostic code: smtp;554-:  (HVU:B1) The URL contained in your email to AOL members has generated a high volume of complaints. Per our Unsolicited BuCODE=DL0 TRANSACTION FAILED
  Remote system: dns;mailin-01.mx.aol.com (TCP|66.82.4.91|39478|64.12.138.57|25) (rly-xk05.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-xk5.4; Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:27:55 -0500)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2004, 11:49:14 AM »

I seem to be getting e-mails.  Was there a URL in your e-mail?  I'll forward that on to AOL and see what they have to say.  Meanwhile, send it again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2004, 11:53:36 AM »

I don't get no emails.

td

• td
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »

This is for the Hungarians and the Opera Lovers:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04086/291403.stm
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2004, 11:54:14 AM »

When I was 3, my folks gave me a buff-colored cocker spaniel puppy.  We named him Toby.  I had Toby until I was about 14 or 15.  He was sweet-natured, always a fun companion, never fussed, and loved to sleep on the street in the winter because the sun heated the pavement.  Unfortunately, he was deaf the last two years of his life, and I always worried about him being in the street.  But folks always just went around him.

My first pet as a "grupp" was my cat Dickens, whose picture I've posted here before.  My Neapolitan landlady's daughter, with her grandfather as translator, made a present of "Dickens" to me in September 1987.  I took him to a vet a few weeks later and was scolded for taking an animal too young to be weaned.  Dickens was about 4 weeks old when I got him.  He and I bonded immediately.

The first night, I had nothing to offer him, but tried the best I could by chopping up some beef and adding some oil.  He licked at it, but couldn't chew it.  He drank the water I gave him and he didn't fuss.  He was too little to be anywhere other than in a small box on my kitchen floor.  I had no litter in the house, but he didn't make any mess, either.

Next day, upon my return from work with goodies in a bag, Dickens was bouncing around in delight...hoping, I'm sure, he would be fed.  While I had bought him a litter box, he was much too small to get over the edge of it, so I took his small box and put litter into it.  I introduced him to it and he dug around and sniffed, but I wasn't sure he understood what it was for.

I took a small dish and opened a can of Fancy Feast cat food.  I wasn't sure what portion was sufficient, so I gave him half.

I put it on the floor and waited.  He looked at me.  He walked over to the dish.  He put his head down and sniffed.  He looked up at me with eyes twice their previous size, and then he burrowed his face into the food.  A minute or two later, one very satisfied kitty waddled over to me.  I picked him up and marveled at his engorged belly.  I sat in a chair to watch news on TV and he climbed up my arm and stuck his head into the sleeve of my t-shirt where it remained as he napped.

Fifteen minutes (or so) later, Dickens roused himself, traveled down my chest and leg and jumped onto the floor.  He went racing back to the kitchen to investigate his now-empty dish as thought it was going to be magically filled with that wonderful food again.  He looked at me and I caved.  I gave him the rest of the food in the can.  

From then on, Dickens' daily discoveries about the world and in learning his own abilities were shared with me, and I was amazed.  The photo I posted some time ago was his first outdoors outing.  I was washing and waxing my car and I put him on the flat width of the wall on the right side of my steps leading from my drive to my yard.  His eyes were huge the entire time we were outside.  He was so excited.   He was my wonderful fellow for seven years.  He was a one-person cat and he was a beaut!

I acquired Vickie as a companion for Dickens, but the two never really "liked" one another even though they learned to tolerate each other.   Vickie was from a home where she was third, and last, cat.  The two males were much larger than she and bullied her.  The male human in the household didn't like her any more than the two toms.  She was a good fit with me and she and I got along well.  It wasn't until after the death of Dickens and my bringing Vickie to California (she and Dickens had been living with my parents, first in Virginia and later in South Carolina) that she blossomed.

When I opened her carrier and let her explore my apartment, she was very cautious.  She nosed around everything.  She caught whiffs of familiar things but seemed increasingly buoyant when nothing new presented itself.  My first clue that she was truly happy was when she started rubbing against things.  Marking her turf.  I had toys for her.  And for the first time in my experience, she actually chose a toy and had fun with it.  "Miss Vickie" began revealing layers upon layers of personality I had never witnessed until she was the sole cat in a household.  I knew then I could never introduce another pet of any kind.  She will be 20 next month. She's fragile and has problems.  But I can see the kitty in her from time to time and she loves me.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 11:57:23 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2004, 12:07:24 PM »

BK, thanks for fixing the photo.  It doesn't look that big when I bring it up at home.  But since I've not gotten around to getting a new scanner, I can't re-size it...or maybe I can and just don't know how.  In the past when I've tried it just seem like the picture got blurrier.

Enjoyed my Kritzer Time album and I'm now grooving to Sax & Violence.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2004, 12:12:06 PM »

"AOL moved to block suspected spammers' sites to protect members from fraud..."  Bruce, check out the article link below.  Recent development at AOL may be an issue.

http://www.marketingsherpa.com/sample.cfm?contentID=2646

Charles Pogue

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2004, 12:12:54 PM »

I guess the thanks goes to Jrand53 for re-sizing the pic and to Bruce for removing the other.  Proper kudos to each.

Bear with this computer dyslexic.  Maybe some day I'll get up to speed on all this technology...they just have to stop changing it all the time!  Or maybe I'll just retire to a cabin in the mountains with all those books, a hot plate, and lots of canned goods, and let the rest of the world go by as I read myself to death.  Actually that doesn't sound all that bad...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »

Oh dear. I don't think I can do today's topic du jour.  You see, BK, you have discovered my emotional melt-down point.  Pets.  In particular past pets.  My past pets, other people's past pets, it doesn't matter.  I started tearing up at the very mention of today's topic.  Isn't that silly?  You see, I can't think of a possible happy ending to a past pet story, other than if all of mine could have out-lived me.  I suppose the same is true of all of the friends and family that we love and who have passed away before us; but with pets it has always seemed so much harder for me.  Don't ask me why.  I have no idea.

--------------------

I just edited out the rest of my long rambling post, for the sake of my own sanity, and probably yours, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2004, 12:35:03 PM »

DR Tom,

Archie sends his good wishes to Magnus and Fosca. Since being diagnosed with colitis, Archie's been on a strict regimen ("no dietary indiscretions," he and we were warned) that sounds very much like Magnus's. It took him awhile to adjust to the no-treats rule. But now he considers a pair of dirty socks to be a worthy replacement, and all is well.

Thank you Archie and Dan. I won't suggest you send a pair of your socks. I've stopped eating toast in the morning (which I shared) and snacking on cookies (biscuits to me) for the same reason. This diet may have benefits all round. I don't think I shall chew on dirty socks. Who knows? I may be missing out on something there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 12:35:45 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2004, 12:40:34 PM »

What lovely - and sad - stories. I agree with TCB that the endings to all past pet stories - except parrots, perhaps - are bittersweet if not downright SAD.
Jane - How terrible that your mother gave your beloved cat(s) away! You describe it very matter-of-factly - which I'm sure took years to achieve.
My mother once fed me a pet rabbit - are you listening Bette? - That's right, folks. I didn't find out until I was an adult that the chicken I had that particular Easter when my sweet bunny disappeared - wasn't chicken. Ugggghhhh! I may just vomit.
Off to the bank.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2004, 12:41:31 PM »

Forgot to mention to FS Pogue how very much I enjoyed hearing about Spur!

Panni

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2004, 12:47:27 PM »

From an opera-loving Magyar, thanks for the article, td. My favorite line:
"And then, of course, I hear that when you do Hollywood, you become rich."

Poor, misguided Viktoria Vizin! (Great name.)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 12:48:22 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2004, 01:11:13 PM »

Shortz
[/b]
I.
When I was growing up, there was a problem with our having pets.  The problem was my mother.  A German Shepard Dog had bitten her when she herself was little, and she didn’t want any dogs in the house.  Instead, we had parakeets and tropical fish, which weren’t quite the same thing.  I mean, have you ever tried hugging a neon tetra?  They don’t take to it.

Finally, when I was in the fifth grade, Dad was able to take Mom aside and finally convince her that a small dog wouldn’t be any trouble.  Well, that was one thing, but if there was going to be a dog in the house she wanted one that had good breeding.  And wouldn’t shed.  Good breeding eliminated getting a dog from the pound.  No shedding eliminated…well, that eliminated all sorts of breeds.  What they finally settled upon was a daschund.  Specifically, a miniature daschund.

A search through the newspapers found a breeder, who had puppies, and that led to our paying the breeder a visit.  One of the pups, a black and tan male, was more interested in us than the others.  He was the one who left the breeder’s with us.  My sister named him Shortz.  “Well, we’re all so tall, and he isn’t,” was her reasoning.

Exactly why my sister was the one who got to name Shortz has always puzzled me.  She always has been more of a cat person.  However, sibling rivalry set in once again, a rivalry that dated back to my having been born a boy and thus denying her a little sister.  She determined that Shortz was to sleep with her…always!  Our parents tried to set a rule, that Shortz would sleep in her room one week, and in mine the next.  It didn’t work, because while he was supposed to sleep on the floor in his own bed, she smuggled him up onto her bed every chance she got.  When he was scheduled to spend the nights with me, he did nothing but complain, because he wasn’t sleeping where he expected to sleep.  It became obvious that, at night at least, he was her dog.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »

II.
[/b]
While Shortz may have been my sister’s dog at night, during the days he was more mine than hers.  She had other activities to do after school, with her classmates and her homework, and didn’t have to feed him.  He figured out pretty fast that I could be relied upon for dinner.  I was also the one who could be relied upon to take him for walks, to play with him in the back yard, and to take him for the last visit to the old magnolia tree in the front yard every night.  And I was the one who trained him to stay in the yard when we weren’t there with him.

The problem was that while there had once been a gate across the driveway, separating the back yard from the front, that gate was long gone due to Mom knocking it down with the station wagon several years earlier.  Somehow, we had to train Shortz to stay in the back yard alone, without going into the front yard without supervision.

What I did was quite simple.  I took a piece of chalk, and drew a line across the driveway, a line he wasn’t to cross.  I then pointed the line out to him, putting his nose down into the chalk.  There were a couple of times that he crossed the line, early on, and I had to spank him and show him where the line was once again.  And he learned not to cross the line.  The real test came when the rains washed the chalk away.  Shortz remembered where the line was supposed to be, and would never cross it, with one exception every day.  When I returned from school, he would be waiting for me, at the line that wasn’t there.  He’d jump a little, eagerly, and then I’d call to him, and he would run as fast as he could.  I’d pick him up, and he’d wash my face, and everything would be all right in the world again.

There was a time, however, when I could not count on his being there at the line.  My mother had breast cancer when I was in Junior High, requiring a radical mastectomy.  While she lay in her bed, recovering from the operation, Shortz would lay next to her, very calmly, never moving, her loyal friend when she needed him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2004, 01:14:03 PM »

III.
My sister, being two years older than I, was the first to leave for college.  Shortz moved into my room, quite contented now to crawl under my bedcovers every night.  In many ways, it was easier for him during those two years, because he got to be a one-person dog instead of dividing his life by day and night.  He was getting older, of course, and developed some of the usual daschund back problems.  The breed used to have arched backs, but selective genetics had made their backs straight and flat, and weakened them.  Shortz would regularly have problems with a pinched nerve towards his pelvis, quite painful for him.  He would cry, lying on his side, until Mom or I were able to come to his aid and gently massage the part of his back that hurt.  After a few minutes, he would be able to get up and walk the rest of the pain away, and when he felt better again he would come and wash our faces in thanks.

This only lasted for a couple of years, and then it was my turn to head off for college.  He felt betrayed, not understanding that we were both growing older and that growing older meant different things to both of us.  Oh, sure, when I returned during the summer, or during a holiday, he would rejoin me in my room every night; he never returned to my sister’s room.  But at the end of every holiday, when it was time for me to take the bus back to school, rather than say good-bye he would turn his head away, deliberately ignoring me.

What was happening, of course, was that he was transferring his Number One status once again.  My father learned that beds could accommodate three rather than two.  And Shortz loved to lie next to Dad in his armchair, his muzzle buried in Dad’s elbow.  But mostly he stayed close to Mom, on a cushion next to her on the couch, or constantly underfoot when she was in the kitchen.

Daschunds, as with most small dogs, have long lives.  I had moved on, graduated from college and living on my own for several years, and my parents had retired to a house they had built in Northern California, when I got the call from Dad that Shortz had finally passed away.  Mom, of course, cried more than anyone.  Her little dog was gone, the only dog she had ever loved.  She never owned another.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2004, 01:16:21 PM »

Very nice DRRLP - I remember the pictures of your cats!  

No problem DRCP - if I can do it - YOU CAN!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »

I have the aforementioned concept cast album of Masada with Michelle Nicastro and Davis Gaines, so I might listen to that as well, since it's been awhile.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion, George.

I couldn't think of any pet stories worth telling.  Once, Smoky the cat (who nobody much liked) got into some sort of a tussle with another animal.  The body end of his tail had been bitten.  All the hair was gone and you could only see redness.  One morning, Smoky left the room the cats slept in, but his tail didn't.  I always wondered what Puff, an actual tailless manx, must have throught.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up