Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING  (Read 30273 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« on: March 27, 2004, 12:04:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've sneezed along in empathy, and therefore you are ready to post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 12:34:23 AM by bk »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 12:18:36 AM »

I've never been the first post since the new board started.
If only I knew how to dance...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 12:35:30 AM »

Treasured Pet: All of them I guess. "Bugsy Malone" was very special. He was the first dog that Colin and I had. His nature was so "soft". My most beautiful memory was of him playing with his puppies. He was the perfect, caring gentle father. We had been warned that a male dog might even attack its own pups!  All of our dogs have been very much "house" dogs. I have never seen the point of having a dog otherwise. I should try and locate a photograph of Bugsy and his children. The mother was Tallulah! Can it be really 26 years ago that Bugsy joined our household?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 12:49:37 AM »

Bugsy Malone and his children:
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 04:35:52 AM »

My favorite pet from the past would be my cat Wolfie. He had 6 toes on each foot and did tricks, including "sit", lay down", "shake", and even "roll over". He was born on a farm in back in Ohio and was the best mouser in the Midwest. He was also as friendly and sociable as you could ever imagine. When he was a kitten, he wandered in to the back yard next door and into a little girl's birthday party. After entertaining the guests for a couple hours, they brought him home with their thanks.
Dave in the Valley

Robin

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 04:48:07 AM »

My favorite pet was a cat, a breed called a Stumpy Blue Manx.  Her name was "Gimpy".  She had the LOUDEST purr I'd ever heard, and, typical of the Manx breed, had no tail.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 05:09:02 AM »

Best cat: Coricopat. DR Sandra was in the fourth grade when we found him in a pet shop. The pet shop was owned by a friend, and she always let Sandra hold and carry the kittens around the store to keep them nicely socialized. We weren't looking to get a kitten, but she centered on this one tabby with a white face. She wanted him so much, but Daddy said no. I clued her in a little about how to get something from a man. She sat on his lap and just poured it on. You could see him crack. Good lesson for a young girl.  ;-)

Coricopat was the friendliest fella ever. He was right there to greet visitors and jumped right up into laps and purred. He also played fetch with toy mousies

We lost him a couple of years ago when he developed an auto-immune disease and had trouble eating. We treated it as long as it was feasible (probably longer) and had to put him down the day after Christmas a couple years ago. He is buried beside the catnip patch.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 05:29:57 AM »

Who should I write about-- our cocker spaniel, Buffie, our Basset Doris?  Everyone has heard about Mazal.

I guess it'll be Wee Baby Doris (sounds like a Wampus Baby star).  She was a Basset who was independent, stubborn and very lovable.  She was a living course in psychology---  especially reverse psychology.  You had to make her think it was her idea to get her to do something (kind of like a few other Aquarians I know).  I raised her from a pup, and she was truly my baby.   Maybe I made her the way she was-- I don't know, but I still miss her to this day.

Doris was DEFINITELY her own person and  had a personality to match.
I like boat races.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 05:52:46 AM »

When I was 9 or 10, the neighbors across the street were getting a divorce, and were having a yard sale to get rid of the unwanted things. These people were horrible people to begin with, but once they were married and had kids, it all went downhill. They had no control over their children. When the daughter would get mad, she'd run away for days at a time, and they might have called the police on Day 3. When the son was mad, he would take a baseball bat and hit the dog with it.

This dog had never been in their house before, she lived in a doghouse that was too small for her, and she wasn't even allowed to come in if it was snowing/raining/lightning/etc. She also hadn't ever been groomed. She was a Sheltie. They need to be groomed every months. Her fur made her look like a bear. Because she had been physically abused, she had some brain damage, and wasn't as alert as she should have been. The owners took this as a sign that she wasn't worh having.

So they put her up for buying at the yard sale. In Oklahoma. In the middle of the summer. It was more than likely 100 degrees, and she's in the sun in a cage without food or water.

At the end of the day, she still hadn't been saved, so my mother asked her what they'd do with the dog if she wasn't purchased. She was informed that the dog would be put to sleep. My mom offered to take her, but she wouldn't pay anything. Deal!

Thus we had Lacy, who ended up having to be shaved completely because her fur was too matted with mud and dirt and God knows what to be cleaned. She was afraid of any males for a long time, because of her abuse. But she was the sweetest dog I'd ever had. IT was like she knew we had saved her. Unfortunately, she developed stomach cancer a few years ago, and we had to put her down.

That was kind of long, huh. Off to work!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 05:58:52 AM »

I searched through my box of old pictures and was distressed to find I didn't have one of my favorite one of our dogs: a teacup chihuahua named Snowball. We got her when she was about a week old and she was solid white - hence the name. But as she aged, her fur turned a light tan, so people always wondered why we named her what we did.

She was the only chihuahua we ever owned, so I've never known if they were all like her, but that dog was definitely territorial. Loved the four of us in our family, but if ANYONE else came in the house, she would go crazy barking and attacking. She did NOT like strangers. And she never changed. Even neighbors who came over daily, she could not STAND them. We used to laugh at her protectiveness (being so tiny), but I remember her so fondly.

One other thing I remember especially about her was that she loved to go to sleep in someone's lap. She loved my mom's lap best of all, but if mom wasn't available, she would avail herself of whatever lap was handy. Now, when the time came that she was in your lap but you wanted to get up to get a snack or visit the bathroom, she would growl because she didn't want to get up. She never bit us but again it was very funny to hear her grumble about having to disturb her warm nap for OUR convenience.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 06:01:02 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 05:58:57 AM »

What a rainy day in Indiana.

Of course all pets are special, but I would have to say our first shar-pei named Autumn Memory, called Mimmy was the MOST special.  She loved us all, could learn a trick when you taught it to her once, knew us all by name, and loved to sit in her own chair and watch out the window - especially in the snow.  She loved to eat a Starlight Mint now and then and was valiant in her struggle against death.

We held her as she was put down and I told her to think about her black chair and her window and that soon she would be home.....  I love Holly the zaftig shar-pei, but I still miss Mimmy - she went away almost 12 years ago.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 06:03:16 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 06:36:04 AM »

Leonard Maltin's film guide lists ACE IN THE HOLE as THE BIG CARNIVAL. When it plays on TCM or other cable film channels, which title does it go under?

BTW, there are two Billy Wilder films I've never seen, and this is one of them. A FOREIGN AFFAIR is the other, and one day I'll catch up with both of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 06:36:40 AM »

Love the pet stories, and the piz.

I lost George over 6 years ago, but still grieve. My sister Rikki found him eating out of a garbage can when he was about 6 or 7 weeks old... on her way to Pet Orphans she stopped by the house Charles and i were living in at the time on Olympic Blvd in LA. So, love at first sight. He was the smartest dog I ever knew, had over a hundred words, great friend, loved to swim and play. Bone cancer got him.

But when I was growing up on Preuss Rd, corner of Sawyer, we had dachshunds: Schnitzel and Strudel. These were great little dogs. Very smart, very loving. They lived a long time - Strudel was nearly 18, Schnitz was over 15 when they basically died of old age. I bet BK remembers those little dogs, dontcha, Bruce?
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 06:37:54 AM »

Dogs are some of the finest folk I've ever known.
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 07:40:01 AM »

He of the scowling jaw, amidst the Panni posting frenzy, wrote:
By the by, td, thanks for properly sizing this for me.

You're very welcome.  It's good to see that mug of yours now next to your posts. :)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 07:47:12 AM »

I've never been the first post since the new board started.
If only I knew how to dance...

Arthur Murray taught me dancing in a hurry . . . .

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 07:55:40 AM »

No way to start my HHW day - tearing up over sweet Wilma and why she was given away and wasn't happy.

I can't pick a "favorite" dog, so I'll name three, but only post about one: Gypsy, Cocoa and Katie. Gypsy I had when I was a kid in Toronto. We lived (for a while) over a store that my mother owned. Gypsy was some kind of Spaniel mix - black with white around the neck and paws - from the Humane Society. He was my best friend, my confidant and I loved him totally. I've posted about this before, so I'll keep it brief: As we had no yard, I'd let him out in the morning to do his business and he'd come right back. One morning he didn't. He' d been stolen - he would never have run away. I was devastated - cried myself to sleep every night. After he'd been gone over a month (in winter) - the morning of my birthday, I woke from a deep sleep because I heard him, clear as day. I heard him upstairs, through three sets of doors, on a busy street humming with streetcars and traffic. I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs in my bare feet - and it wasn't my imagination - there he was - standing at the door, dirty and a lot worse for wear. When he saw me he started to cry, as did I. We hugged forever and ran upstairs and I had my best friend back.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 08:00:29 AM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 08:16:51 AM »

Every pet I've had in the past was precious.  There is no way I could pick one over another.

I noticed that some of the click-on ads that come up at the top of this here site are for "edited DVDs".  Why would anyone --- especially the DRs here ---want an edited film?  Are the film's directors, producers, writers, distributors, etc. aware of this?  Can't they stop it?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 08:22:03 AM »

ONE JEW IN A ROOM SNEEZING

One Jews in a room sneezing
One Jews in a room plot a crime.
I'm bitching. I'm bitching.
I'm bitching. I'm bitching.
Bitch bitch bitch bitch
Funny funny funny funny

(They point their flashlights at the bed and slowly kneel.)

Bitch--bitch--
Bitch bitch bitch bitch
All--the--
Time...

Whadda they do for Claritian
Ooooh.
One jew in a room
Sneezing

One Jew in a room stoop--  
I stoop--  
--to sneeze

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 08:22:22 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 08:35:23 AM »

I do remember Schnitzel and Strudel.

Loving all the pet stories - very special.

The copy I taped off cable carried the Ace in the Hole title.  That was the original.  It was later changed to The Big Carnival because the original release had been such a disaster.

Danise

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2004, 08:38:57 AM »

Good morning all!

Dog stories, I got a million of them--far to many to tell.  So many wonderful dogs friends I've had over the years.  From Sunday (bet ya can't guess what day we got her on) to Brandi and Bear (the current two) I have loved them all.  And the cows, horses, ponies, rabbits, chickens, ducks, goat, sheep, rats, hamsters, fish, turtles, lizards, possem, cats, birds, to name but a few, both wild and tame that I have known.

Sorry to have been E &T last night.  I had such a headache  I didn't even turn the computer on last night.  

I was going to go the the ren fest today but have decided to just be lazy for once and stay around the house.  Think I'll watch a movie or two and just veg.  

Enjoy your day whatever you do and where ever you spend it! :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2004, 08:55:07 AM »

Blackjack and Roller are being bathed and groomed at this very moment.  Their beautician is of the mobile variety, and their salon is in the beautician's converted mobile home, which arrives here every other Saturday at 7 a.m. on the dot.

I, on the other hand, need to travel to get my hair washed and cut, which I will be doing later this morning.  Isn't that exciting?   Isn't that too too?

You can say that we are a very kempt household here at Chez Jay.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2004, 08:56:31 AM »

Of course all of my pets have been very special to me but I  shall post about my cat Buford. I picked up Buford at the Humane Society in 1990. He was three years old and we had 12 wonderful years together. He was the friendliest, smartest cat I had ever seen...all 13 pounds of him! My family adored him and my friends would always say that if they could find a cat like Buford they would actually get a cat!

Buford's signature action was to come up to you and bump noggins. He would bump your forehead with his forehead until you would start petting him. He also loved to climb under the bed covers and snuggle...I miss that so much!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2004, 08:59:29 AM »

DR Tom,

Archie sends his good wishes to Magnus and Fosca. Since being diagnosed with colitis, Archie's been on a strict regimen ("no dietary indiscretions," he and we were warned) that sounds very much like Magnus's. It took him awhile to adjust to the no-treats rule. But now he considers a pair of dirty socks to be a worthy replacement, and all is well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2004, 09:00:35 AM »

Yes MATTH - I saw it years ago on AMC as "Ace in the Hole".  I read a Billy Wilder bio recently that talked about his fascination with the Floyd Collins case and the more recent (1949) case of Kathy Fiscus, a California three year old who fell into an abandoned well and was trapped.

My parents remember seeing the coverage of her rescue on early television and the way they described it sounds just like Wilder's movie.  There was even a song written about it that I have heard my father sing.  A tragedy, little Kathy was not rescued and died in the well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2004, 09:08:55 AM »

This afternoon I will be heading to the historic Pasadena Playhouse for a symposium on the subject of Miss Mae West.  This is in conjunction with the current run at the Playhouse of Claudia Shear's and James Lapine's Dirty Blonde.  (I saw Dirty Blonde when it played in New York a few years ago, liked it then, and liked it again when I saw it once more--with the same cast--at the Playhouse a couple of weeks ago.)

Panel members at today's event include Tim Malachosky, personal assistant to Miss West in her later years, Kevin Thomas, L.A. Times film critic and Bill Harris, entertainment reporter.

It should be interesting!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 09:11:17 AM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2004, 09:39:54 AM »

I remember little Kathy, and I have a vague memory of watching the coverage on live TV.  There was a movie called The Well that was I think a fictionalized account.

Jay

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2004, 09:44:32 AM »

I remember little Kathy, and I have a vague memory of watching the coverage on live TV.  There was a movie called The Well that was I think a fictionalized account.

I do believe that the Kathy Fiscus incident was the first occasion of live news coverage on television.  The local reporter who covered it, Stan Chambers, remains a field reporter to this day on one of L.A.'s local stations.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2004, 09:50:25 AM »

Love Stan Chambers.  Our favorite news buffoon was George Putnam.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2004, 10:28:59 AM »

For APPRENTICE fans (I don't watch it)... My daughter was being fingerprinted this morning in San Francisco. (I could just let that hang there, but that would be cruel. She's applying for US citizenship and had an appointment at 8AM today to get officially fingerprinted.) She said that when she arrived she was greeted by a strange sight -- A gigantic line of men and women dressed in business attire, many of whom had camped out during the night. At first she thought they were also being fingerprinted (a classier bunch of new citizens) but realized they were lined up for the building next to the one she was entering. They were auditioning for the next season of THE APPRENTICE!

BTW - Has anyone else got this problem? Rachel always has trouble being fingerprinted. The regular means somehow do not pick up her prints. Happened again today, she told me. Last time I was with her when this occurred (the renewal of her Green Card) every expert in the Federal office came over - including a very officious woman with a thick German accent, "I kan do zis!" Of course, even SHE couldn't. Apparently, Rachel's prints are too big for the normal machinery. (Must be because she's the spawn of a Martian.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 10:30:31 AM by Panni »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up