Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING  (Read 30293 times)

Danise

Re:THE SOUND OF ONE JEW SNEEZING
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2004, 07:35:50 PM »

I just hope Echo is doing better.  Good doggie vibes!!!   i remember the first time I had to leave Bear at the doctors office.  I cried in the car like a baby.  Silly, I know but it was like leaving my baby behind.  

One of things about these trips is that this will be the very first time in Bears life that I will be leaving him for so long.  I don't know how he is going to handle that.  He is so used to sleeping with me.  

It may sound cruel but Brandi prefers to be out during the night.  She has her Dogloo out there (doghouse) so she's ok.   I never leave her out if it's really cold or raining.

Good evening all.  Have a pleasant evening.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2004, 07:39:11 PM »

DR Jane: feel better!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2004, 07:41:25 PM »

Just got the new Direct TV guide, and there are some really good movies on next month, many of which are not on DVD.  

Well, how mean of you not to give us some titles! Some Grable/Fox musicals, I hope. Now that I got MOTHER WORE TIGHTS, I'm eager to add CONEY ISLAND, WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME, WABASH AVENUE (remake of CONEY ISLAND), and PIN UP GIRL.

Or perhaps some Deanna Durbin classics?

Or some Alice Faye classics?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2004, 07:53:57 PM »

While walking early one spring evening Keith & I came upon a very large (but fairly emaciated) seven year old dog that had, according to rural neighbors, been on her own for about a month.  Apparently she had been abandoned in the woods along with a 25lb bag of kibble—long finished.

Though skittish, she made friends with us and was in the process of walking with us when a policeman arrived to take her to the pound.  He had had reports of a dog with mange roaming the area.  (She didn’t have mange, was just shedding her undercoat as malnutrition and warmer weather set in.)  He took a lonnnnngg extendable pole out of his vehicle that had a dangerous-looking looped wire at the end.  She was headed for the gas chamber.  He admitted being a bit intimidated by the bag of bones and was relieved when we said we’d take the dog with us.  Of course, we were lying—we already had two dogs and two cats at home!—but we hoped we could find a home for her with friends or neighbors.  

Once home our Siberian Husky, Anastasia, rushed out and, to our surprise, attacked her.  Keith left on a business trip THE NEXT MORNING!!!!!!  It was raining and I left the dog outside with the garage door open until Keith returned home and we could take her in the house.  The first day she did get into all the trash cans (it had to be trash day) along our street & I had to clean them up.  We soon found she was an expert at getting into trash, pulling dishes out of the sink for leftovers and opening cupboards to find food.

Well…long story short, we couldn’t find a home for her, not that I tried very hard.  After a year she reached her full weight of eighty pounds.  We named her “Belle” because she appeared to be pure Belgium Sheepdog.  I called her My Shadow.  She was our younger son’s best friend and raised our kittens.  She was a wonderful devoted dog we had for ten years, far longer than we ever expected.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2004, 07:56:29 PM »

Thank you Jennifer, I do already.

It is cuddle time with the gang.  Night All.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »

It's bedtime. I just returned from a neighbor's surprise birthday party.

Our neighbor, who moved from India by way of Iran 20 years ago, has always been a major Elvis fan. So the birthday had an Elvis theme, and there was even an Elvis impersonator. Some relatives sang beautiful (non-Elvis) tunes in Hindi, and there were lovely toasts made to this very kind and generous woman.

I returned to read more pet stories. Thanks everyone for sharing them, and for encouraging me to remember days with Pooch, Tiger, Truffles, Banjo, Hilda, Guest, and Vicky.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2004, 09:26:07 PM »

Jane:  There's extra points in heaven for your adoption of Belle!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2004, 09:57:48 PM »

As I imagined, Ms. Barbara Cook was sublime. The woman only gets better. She is 76 years old and sings as sweetly as when she began in New York 51 years ago. Her show is simple and clean. She's on stage with Wally Harper and a bass player for 90 minutes. It's called Barbara Cook's Broadway and she does a number of songs from Broadway shows, some of which she was in and others which mean something to her. According to the program the play list changes from performance to performance but I think there are probably two set pieces in the show, one being the pentultimate number which I found hysterically funny. I won't spoil the surprise in case any of my NY brethren plan on seeing the show. Suffice it to say, I left the theatre entranced anew with Ms. Cook. What a treasure!

And now, since it's 1am and I'm usually in bed by this time, I will go away until tomorrow.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2004, 10:18:47 PM »

TCB I hope you did not read about Shortz.  SWW really had me crying.
Dear Jane: It was never my intention to tell a sad story, or to have you cry, so I hope your tears were ones of happiness, if bittersweet.

We have had a very doggy day today.  Along with the storytelling here (and der Brucer has not told the story of Rover and his brother Chuck, which I hope he tells tomorrow), we took Mikey the terrier in for his rabies shot today, and got him licenced.  In the process, der Brucer met with some ladies from a rescue operation, along with a very nice male of the greyhound variety.  The dog races are a vicious way of treating dogs, after they have outlasted their running days, dumping them by the wayside.  The dog der Brucer met was wonderfully friendly, as so many of them are, and needing a home.  Der Brucer contributed a few bucks to help with feeding these refugees.

Things got more complicated during dinner.  We had previously booked ourselves for a wine-tasting dinner at Celsius, a very nice place I've talked about before downtown.  Among our dinner companions was a woman from the Delaware Humane Society, who was thrilled to learn that we had rescued all our dogs.  The DHS will be hosting a fundraiser in about a month, a dog-walk along the Boardwalk in Rehoboth, encouraging people to adopt pets, particularly the needy dogs that have been discarded by others.  Another woman at our table talked about how she and her husband have rescued Great Danes, and a third about the cats she has rescued.

There is so much work to be done, and not all of it is work der Brucer and I can do, although I can tell we're going to be doing as much as we can.

Good vibes to all those who love and protect animals.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2004, 10:40:28 PM »

I saw picture of my Peter Ellenshaw painting pf MAry Poopins I am buying. I hope it is as beautiful in person as it is in the photo.
Never stop dreaming.

Laura II

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2004, 10:53:20 PM »

Jane, I'm sending you happy vibes! Yours helped me, so I hope mine help you!

~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 10:55:06 PM by bk »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2004, 10:55:57 PM »

I had to shorten Laura II's vibes because it put us in Cinerama.  Now, we're not going to have a new all-time low are we?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2004, 10:56:24 PM »

I'm actually going out for a bite to eat, so the notes may be going up a little later, say around twelve-thirty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2004, 10:56:50 PM »

I'll post again once I get back home, stuffed with foodstuffs.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2004, 11:04:13 PM »

Hello all. We've been out most of the day.

I have a happy story. Many happy stories, actually. For a few years, we fostered cats and kittens for some of the various shelters here in town. Each one had a story. Many kittens were feral (born in the wild) that we tamed and adopted out; a few adults were lost and on the street that we fostered and adopted out.  Some were tiny babies that we raised and adopted out. It was hard to let them go, but letting them be adopted meant we could foster another. I could tell over 100 stories, because that's how many we fostered over the years. We named them all and have photos of most of them.

There was the box of three tiny kittens left in a sealed box at the shelter during kitten season. There was a box of seven left on the side of the road. There were many wild kittens we trapped and tamed. There were mothers with newborns who needed time to grow up to get adopted. The shelters didn't have enough room, so they came to our home. I would like to tell you the story of "Belita."

We were called to assist a homeowner on an urban farm. He wanted cats to help the rodent problem, but the cats were breeding out of control. We captured, fixed, and released dozens. One of the other workers said she discovered the hiding place of a mother with newborns, but left them alone. She checked the next day, and the mother had moved two of the babies but left the third behind. We hoped the mother would come back for the third one and we were to check the hiding spot the following night when we arrived.

We found the spot -- under a tractor that was blocked by a heavy piece of metal. I lifed up the metal, and Sandra shined a flashlight back there and could find no kitten. What a relief! The mother had moved the other kitten. We continued with our work for the night. Just before we left, something told me to check one more time -- just a feeling.

I lifted the metal sheet and Sandra wriggled back there. The brown and black tortie kitten blended in with the dirt. She just happened to see the kitten flick her ear. She came out with a tiny kitten. It fit in the palm of her hand. Enough time had gone by that we knew the mother wasn't coming back and the kitten would die without help. We decided to bring her home and try to raise her, since leaving her there would be certain death.

It wasn't easy. She was about two days old. She was the first newborn we ever attempted to raise. Belita survived in spite of our efforts.  She survived and thrived and became one of the most loving and friendly  kittens we ever had. It was very had to let her go, but she was adopted and we went on to the next.

I have a lot of stories about "pets" that I don't have any more. Almost all successes -- a few failures. It was something that I did that I enjoyed more than almost anything else I've ever done. I gave it up to pursue other things, and I hope someday to be able to foster again.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2004, 11:09:38 PM »

I am back from Elegies.  There are only two performances left--a matinee and an evening tomorrow (Sunday)--and I have no idea if there are any tickets left.  If there are, it is my duty to urge the L.A. area Kimlets to get off their collective tushies and hie themselves to the Canon Theatre to see it.

I was sold on William Finn long ago and I have expressed my adimiration of the man's art on this site many times.  Here's another encomium.

Mr. Finn's ingenuity is astounding.  Even after having listened to the Elegies CD many times, this evening I caught nuances in lyric and music that I had not noticed before.  Mr. Finn's songs are filled with erudition and sophistication and, above all, heart.  He can seamlessly weave humor into a song filled with pathos, and fold pathos into a song filled with humor.  His story songs are wonderfully evocative and his use of metaphor is rich.

This edition of Elegies is sung by five very skilled vocalists, and the audience was completely enthralled.

I want to see and hear more of Mr. Finn's work!  Does any Dear Reader know the fate of his The Royal Family?  I've known about its existence for years, but never hear or read anything about it being produced.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 11:11:41 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2004, 11:55:15 PM »

Well, I must not let this be a record-low day, just because I am avoiding pet stories. I can truthfully say that today is the first time that I haven't actually read everybody's posts.  If I saw the word "pet," I passed it by.  Sorry.  I am glad everyone else enjoyed the pet stories, and I am grateful to BK for picking the topic, if for no other reason, because I got to see a photo of Mr. Barnum in a bathing suit.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »

Man, talk about squeaking by.  Shame on the errant and truant and there will be bitch-slapping aplenty.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up