Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BILL NOTES  (Read 36296 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BILL NOTES
« on: March 28, 2004, 12:33:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've paid the bill, you've fit the bill, and you've seen the bill o' fare, so now it's time to post until the bills come home.  To it, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 12:01:40 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE BILL NOTES
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 01:00:40 AM »

Got home a little while ago and Abie was happy to see me. It's really wonderful to have a dog waiting for you. The pet posts were lovely.

Jane - Good vibes to Echo!

And good-night, all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 09:10:05 AM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 01:02:41 AM »

I not only have to adjust my clocks for the end of Daylight Savings here but need to adjust the international comparitive times I work upon. I am at least an hour out. I shall be missing for the next week as I attempt to calculate the difference in time zones etc. Have a great week everyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 05:24:05 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 05:26:11 AM »

DR Robin mentioned he'd be E&T today, but I'm wondering how he did in yesterday's Scrabble tournament.

As for a topic: Favorite games - board and other. Scrabble is at the top of my list, though I haven't played in ages. (Does anyone know of an on-line site?) I also enjoy cribbage and euchre.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 05:27:12 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 05:32:27 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 06:27:29 AM »

So THIS is what 9:15 on a Sunday morning looks like, huh? :)

I had a delightful time sugaring-off yesterday with DR Andrea and some family members.  We went to one of the bigger places near Mont St. Grégoire.  On the all-you-can-eat menus was:

1) Tire which is heated maple syrup which, when poured on snow becomes a soft yummy taffy which you spoon up with popsicle sticks

2) Sweet Pickles, Celery, Cole Slaw and Beets

3) Warm buns with butter and cretons (which is a Quebecois spiced pork pate)

4) Deep-fried pork lard (YES... people do actually eat it and enjoy it!)

5) Omelette with maple syrup poured over it

6) Smoked and Regular ham with maple syrup poured over it

7) Souffléed crepes with maple syrup poured over them (think of them like larger doughnut holes with a more pancake-y inside)

8) Doughnuts rolled in maple sugar

9) Sugar pie

I thought I was either going to burst or go into sugar shock by the end of the evening.  Now I feel the horrible need to march off into the woods and chop down a tree or something... ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 06:34:49 AM »

What's with all this cow stuff? :)

Ah, for a second I thought I had forgotten to change the clocks.  But it is NEXT weekend for us!

It looks like it will be a nice sunny day.  I was SO disappointed yesterday.  The weather channel called for total sunshine, and it was cloudy and dreary and awful (although no rain).

Friday night, however was total fog.  That is the foggiest I have EVER seen.  I could barely see in front of me.  Luckily there were many lights on the main streets, which made it much easier.  But we almost turned back in the car, when we couldn't see anything.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 06:37:24 AM »

Oh DR Emily: I lOVE eating the maple syrup on the snow. That is so good. Last year they had that at a nearby mall for free.  And I kept going back cause it is totally addictive!

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 06:39:42 AM »

Hey, did I miss an announcement here saying to read the special announcement on Juliana's journal.

It says she is going on in Seattle this week.

I had to read about it on All That Chat :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 07:08:07 AM »

I watched DEADWOOD last week, the new HBO series which now follows THE SOPRANOS on SUndays nights, and I surprisingly liked it. Several of the men are interesting characters that I'll enjoy getting to know, there are no confusingly spiritual/mystical elements as in HBO's CARNIVALE, and the actress they've chosen to portray Calamity Jane resembles the real Jane from photographs much more than either Doris Day or Yvonne DeCarlo did in their Calamity Jane films. (That's not to knock CALAMITY JANE which I think is one of the best musicals ever written for the screen.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 07:20:33 AM »

Does she look as good as Jane Alexander did in the role?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 07:26:09 AM »

4) Deep-fried pork lard (YES... people do actually eat it and enjoy it!)

Explanation, svp. What, exactly, is fried in what? And then, what's the tangible result?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 07:27:45 AM »

Does she look as good as Jane Alexander did in the role?

I never saw Jane Alexander's TV-movie, so that's why I didn't comment, but the actress on DEADWOOD is somewhat plain and portly, just like pictures of the real Jane show her to have been.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2004, 07:39:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I enjoyed all the pet postings yesterday.  I wasn't so much E&T yesterday as preoccupied with other business matters.  I'd drop in for a few minutes, read a few posts, think about responding, and get back to my chores.

Board games:  I find it amazing there are so many around now that I've never heard of.  I was only so-so at Scrabble, but I love the game, and I can remember a Monopoly round in Pittsburgh around 1960 that went on for several days with my brother, several cousins, and an aunt battling for Trumpdom.  I remember the length of the game but I no longer know who won.

Today's my first free day in over a month, and I plan to spend it watching several of the new DVDs I've acquired.  I have a few CDs to burn, and by then it should be time for THE SOPRANOS and DEADWOOD.  Live Chat is tomoorow night?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 07:55:25 AM »

Dear BK did say chat would be tomorrow at 6 pm Pacific time.

He'll probably be making only a cameo appearance, however, if he plans to be at the historic Alex Theatre in Glendale in time to see Lady in the Dark, something he said he would be doing.  (I will be at LitD myself.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 08:22:05 AM »

DRJay, is this a live Liza Elliot, Miss Ginger Rogers or a showing of the Ann Sothern broadcast?

What the hell did I do?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2004, 08:29:03 AM »

There is a new entry to Juliana's Journal up right this very minute.  She's going on in Chicago (the city not the musical) and she's going on in Seattle.  I'm going to have her jump ahead, journal-wise, so we get the immeditate details.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2004, 08:31:27 AM »

elmoore, that's a weird glitch that happens every now and then - two people hit "post" at exactly the same time and it puts the posts side by side.  It's actually only happened twice before, but I just delete one of them and all is well with the world and its environs.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2004, 08:35:38 AM »

What the hell did I do?

I don't know - but it was sure fun for the few minutes it lasted; seems you have hidden talents at "post" impressionism.

der Brucer (always an admirer of techno-creativity, however unintended)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2004, 08:37:41 AM »

Dear Reader elmore3003 asked:  DRJay, is this a live Liza Elliot, Miss Ginger Rogers or a showing of the Ann Sothern broadcast?

This is a live presentation by the Musical Theatre Guild, which presents one-night-only semi-staged on-book revivals of rarely produced musicals.  The Liza Elliott on Monday evening will be Miss Eileen Barnett.

For more information, click here:

http://www.musicaltheatreguild.com/showdetails.asp?show_title=Lady+in+the+Dark

DERBRUCER

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2004, 08:38:59 AM »

Memo to BK:

Perhaps the low level of posting yesterday was becasue of Michael Shayne's scatological reference to "Mary Poopins"

der Brucer (who shall make up for yesterday by posting some animal stories -no sad endings)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2004, 08:43:14 AM »

Danise I can’t imagine you would be cruel to leave Brandi out at night.  I do know of dogs that prefer it.  If I have ever had one that did, I wouldn’t know since they sleep with us from the beginning.  Anastasia, the husky, use to pant in my ear all night when she was a puppy.  She and our Samoyed, Natasha, were thrilled when we left So. California & moved to New Jersey.  Sometimes guest get Echo for the night as a special treat to them.

MBarnum I don’t know why but I missed your post to me last night so didn't comment.  I know hunters who love their hunting dogs.  I’m sorry you didn’t get to grow up with one.  We had toy, miniature poodles that are notorious for taking on the personalities of their owners.  Ours were a bit neurotic but I loved them.  

Thank you RLP.  I couldn’t give away a dog so completely devoted to me even though it was really Keith and the children who wanted to keep her.

LauraII thank you for the good vibes.  In fact I think all the good wishes worked cause I’m feeling very happy today and Echo is feeling better.  This morning we reduced her twice a day aspirin to half in the morning & half at night.

DearReaderLaura I admire your fostering.  Over the years I have found homes for numerous pets we found & baby sat my friend’s Seeing Eye pups.  One day I would like to be an official foster home for cats.  If I took in dogs Keith would never let them leave.

Jay, THE ROYAL FAMILY by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber is currently playing in Ashland.

Panni, thanks and sometimes having a big dog waiting for you, especially after a trip, can be rather scary.  Three big dogs at once can be downright terrifying.  ;D

Jay

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »

Jay, THE ROYAL FAMILY by George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber is currently playing in Ashland.

And a production of the Kaufman/Ferber play is about to open here at the Ahmanson Theatre.  I was asking last night about the status of William Finn's musical version of the work.  Thanks for trying, though, Dear Reader Jane!

Jane

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2004, 08:56:32 AM »

Michael Shayne I saved the cow site.  I first had to show it to Keith and give him a morning laugh.

Emily-LOL

Jennifer I didn’t see a special announcement for Juliana’s Journal either.  I’m wondering if she will be working her way down here from Seattle.  I have not been able to find a link to her schedule.  Does anyone have it?

Jay, I knew that but I thought I would pass along the information anyway. ;D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2004, 08:59:03 AM »

When I was a wee lad (and the Knights of the Round Table still held sway) it was customary to give children live animals as gifts for Easter – chickens, ducks, rabbits, etc.)

The gifts were usually made by a loving Uncle - and the parents hoped that the prediction of “They Won’t Live Long” would come to pass.

Well, not in my house – I nurtured my Easter gifts!

Five of the six ducklings met their maker early on, but number six grew to be a gorgeous white quacking lady. (Now, I didn’t know how to sex a duck, but I thought the great big white eggs that appeared about the house were a clue, pardon, clew).

I would find an egg and Mom would serve it for me fried sunny-side up.

The adult duck was making a bit of a mess in the house, so my Mom convinced me that I should give it to the farmers whose land was behind our house. When I equivocated because of the potential loss of my daily duck egg breakfast, Mom assured me that, if I went over to the Farmhouse in the morning, the farmer's wife would give me my duck egg to bring home. And so it came to pass. (Years later Mom would tell me how much she did not look forward to breakfast – duck eggs have a very large yolk of a rather unnatural orange hue, which she found particularly unappetizing, and, in addition, Mom seemed to think, they smelled funny when you cooked them.)

Greater love hath no Mom than to fry up a duck egg for her youngster each morning.

Der Brucer (next we shall hear about the Bunnies!)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2004, 09:20:14 AM »

Good morning. DerBrucer, your Mom sounds like a very sweet and loving lady. But your description (unnatural orange hue and smell funny) has put me off duck eggs forever. Not that I've ever had them or had intended to - but now I know for SURE I won't.

Jane

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2004, 09:28:27 AM »

Panni is Rachael feeling better today?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

Now, about the Easter Bunny (Bunnies)!

On Easter morn along side my favorite chocolate covered coconut cream Easter egg was a cute box with six baby bunnies. They were the pet store variety – each a different solid color (white, black, gray, brown etc.).

Unlike the gifts of Easter past, these fellas fared very well – however, as fate would decree, they were not all “fellas”. So as nature decreed, the population commenced to practice their own special field of mathematics – multiplication. Soon, my good old Pop had to build a large wire hutch for the backyard to hold our increasing menagerie. Soon, however, the population seemed to stabilize. That our German immigrant neighbors, the Friedhoffers, were making fewer trips to the butchers was a fact that went unnoticed. (Mrs. Friedhoffer had real problems with English and always called me “Spruce”.)

One fine spring day, I left the hutch latch undone, and the Bunnies escaped! It took a few days, but we finally rounded up most of them. A few months later, it became apparent that my domestic bunnies had found some wild friends. Now, there would regularly appear in the surrounding yards and fields the most amazing collection of livestock – native brown rabbits with white legs, brown rabbits with gray heads, black rabbits with brown feet.

Now the local rabbits were a bit of a problem – they were particularly fond of Pop’s Victory Garden – especially the carrots and lettuce. The following year, Pop decided to brook no further ravishment of his war efforts, so he built a stern wire fence surrounding his contribution to national defense. He did, however, plant a second garden of equal size filled with carrots and lettuce which was for the wild rabbits.

So, the Albert household was, again, at peace with nature.

Der Brucer (one dog and one cat story to go)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up