Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 39016 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:11:49 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were sleep-inducing, and now it is time for you to post until the sleepy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANIMADVERSION!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »

First Post! First Post!

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »

As I was saying...

Then...

Since Friday afternoons are pay-what-you-wish days at the International Center of Photography, we headed over there to check out their new Avedon exhibit: Avedon and Fashion: 1944-2000.

What a true stunner of an exhibit!  Being able to get up close to some of those photographs was truly eye-opening. The models! Verushka, Dorian Leigh, Dovima, Suzy Parker, Robin Tattersall, Twiggy, Carmen, Lauren Hutton, Anjelica Huston, Mike Nichols(!)... The Fashion: Dior, Balenciaga, Galliano...

And as you look at his early photographs, and as you realize that he composed all those shots before PhotoShop was even a glimmer in someone's mind's eye... Again, Stunning!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:16:39 AM »

Then, while, he was at the Hirschfeld seeing Hair, I finally was able to catch up with my cousin.  There's a rooftop bar on top of her hotel, so we met up there for some drinks and nibbles. It was a very chill way to spend the post-rain evening.  -She also gave me a really nice birthday present too. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:45 AM »

Then after Hair, I met up with David again, and we headed up to Casellula... again.  Well, it was his first time there, and it was my third time there... This week... In as many days. ;)

Needless to say, we had a wonderful dinner: wine, cheese, the "Pig's Ass Sandwich"...

And there happened to be a lot of Twitterers there too.  In fact, one of my Twitter/Foursquare buddies ended up stopping by just to say Hi!  -It also turned out that he used to work at Caselulla.

It was really nice being in there not during the pre-theater rush.  Tia, the owner/manager/fromager, came over a couple of times to talk with us a couple of times, and it turned out her boyfriend was in tonight too.  He happens to be a sommelier at Jean-Georges, so... It looks like I'll be dining at Jean-Georges sometime sooner or later.  ;)

...And there were two gentlemen sitting next to us who were trying to pick a wine to finish off their evening with.  Well... Since I happened to know that they had an off-the-list sparkling Shiraz available, I suggested they give that a try.  Thankfully, they really liked it.

...And to bring the evening to a spectacular close, they brought not one, not two, but three desserts to our table!  Bon Appetit, indeed!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »

DR FJL - I know it's late, but... Yes, I'll be there on Monday night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »

...And then as I stepped onto the platform of Columbus Circle, the D Train - the Express! - pullled in.

...And when I turned on the radio, the Chopin Nocturnes were playing on WNYC.

:)

Again, it was quite a wonderful day.

And, now...

Sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »

Just in case anyone missed it in last night's late posts, I repost this for your mental delectation and utter amazement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDGntpZC3I

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »

The direct link to order the new novel is:

http://kritzerland.com/historical.htm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:11 AM »

I have the ordered new novel.  WIFE/DUCK arrived at my house yesterday, and this is one of my PLAY cd's, not one of my investment CD's.  What a fun score.  We saw the movie on the bottom of a double bill with a movie I can't remember, but we laughed and laughed.  And yes Miss Virna Lisi was very beautiful.

Work again today.  Oh well.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:46 AM »

I shall be back this evening.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 05:59:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very well last night, although I did wake at some point between 11:30 pm and 8 am to a lot of very very loud thunder, lightning and another downpour. I hope it cols everything down.

DR Jose, the super's grandson did stop by around 5 pm yesterday, in the midst of my Life Begins at 8:40 madness, to see if i'd talked to George yet. I did leave George a note asking him to come by the apartment and see how beautifully Dragan had prepared the bookcases for him, but he hasn't in in his shop since Thursday.

The madness does continue: I thought that the wonderful Marnie, who's put together all of the orchestra parts as well as printing and binding orchestra scores and vocal books for the reading - the Library of cCngress Music Division has invited the Gershwin, Arlen, and Harburg famillies to the reading - had left town for a week with family and we got a demand from the LoC yesterday afternoon for more scores. This set me off, since the order for additional materials should have been settled before August 13, the original date set for the reading. I'm already on thin ice with the Music Division because they've been giving me hell for having the nerve to be pissed at the asses in the LoC Accounts Payable dept who aren't paying their invoices on time, then I had this email claiming conversations with the conductor I never had, followed by a late demand for more printed materials. Since i thought Marnie was away, I emailed back that that was impossible. Well, tomorrow she leaves for vacation, so today I have to help her finish up, then she will print for me a Fed Ex label and I will ship the scores on Monday. I was so loking forward to this reading and now I am so over it.The day I am looking forward to the most is Sept 2, when I return to NYC.

I was telling a friend of mne about the claimed conversation between me and the conductor, and he thinks the conductor is setting me up to be the fall guy if things don't go well in DC on the conductor's end. There's a conductor at Encores! who uses that modus operandi. It's very possible.

TOD
My first real memory of a family trip is around 1954, when I was eight or maybe younger. My dad's brother lived in DC, working for some huge company as a physicist - before he turned Nazarene and got into kinky sects - and my dad wanted to see DC and visit his brother. My whole memory of the trip is getting fascinated with an exhibit at the Smithsonian, being separated from my family and spending about 2 hours in panic mode looking for them.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 06:04:43 AM »

Just in case anyone missed it in last night's late posts, I repost this for your mental delectation and utter amazement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDGntpZC3I

Very impressive, but I kinda like Robert Preston's version better.

;)
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:09:04 AM »

My first trip:

I think it was from Seattle to Los Angeles, via train.  I was 9 or 10 years old.

The most memorable moment of that trip was going to the House of Murphy restaurant, where I got to meet Jimmy Durante.  I remember that he talked to me for 5-10 minutes.

He was one of the nicest people in show business.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:27:21 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast and there were some droplets of rain I felt earlier this morning (more on that later). It's supposed to rain on and off all day today, but it's still humid and uncomfortable outside.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 06:29:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANIMADVERSION!

And The Song of The Day Is:  JUST YOU WAIT

Laura

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »

We had a lovely storm last night that lasted about a half hour. We are always hoping for more.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 06:30:50 AM »

As if nothing else could go right for me over the past few weeks, I discovered a leak on my back porch after a heavy rain. I climbed up on the roof this morning around 7:30 to investigate, and I saw some problems. I did some makeshift patches, so we'll see if that has any effect on the rain leakage if we get another storm today. The back porch has one of those rubber roofs on it, and it likely needs replacement now, but I can't swing that financially with all these medical bills I've racked up this month eventually coming from the insurance folks for me to pay the balance due. I have no idea what it will be, but I'm guessing in the multi-hundreds.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 06:32:13 AM »

While I was on the roof, I got hit with some sporadic raindrops. I guess the storm moved on, since a regular rain never actually started (thankfully).

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 06:33:16 AM »

I passed a better than average night in bed last night though I was up twice with pain spasms which have been bothersome off and on this morning.

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »

Awake.  Caffeinated.  About to run with the dog.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »

I'll likely finish up with my surfing and other computer stuff earlier than usual this morning and go down to get an early jump on the remaining eight episodes of THE UNTOUCHABLES I need to watch.

I was invited to a luau party tonight, but I just am not up to socializing. I don't think folks want to see me with my arm contorted down my back massaging aching joints and muscles. My friend JEff wanted to introduce me to a new fella, but again, I'm just not up for it right now. I guess if the pain subsides this afternoon, I might reconsider, but as of now, no.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 06:40:16 AM »

I read who won PROJECT RUNAWAY All-stars, so I may not get around to watching it this weekend. I also have last night's MONK and PSYCH to watch, and I'll likely do PSYCH while I eat lunch today.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 06:43:17 AM »

Leaving soon to see a matinee at the Williamstown festival.  (So no tax work today.)

Laura

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »

TOD: I remember a trip to Disneyland when I was five or six. Everyone drove at night in those days (no AC in the car). Come to think of it, other than the drive over, I don't remember much about that trip at all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »

My first trip:

I think it was from Seattle to Los Angeles, via train.  I was 9 or 10 years old.

The most memorable moment of that trip was going to the House of Murphy restaurant, where I got to meet Jimmy Durante.  I remember that he talked to me for 5-10 minutes.

He was one of the nicest people in show business.

I felt the same way about Milton Berle, who drove a lot of the Drama Book Shop employees mad, but i liked him a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast and there were some droplets of rain I felt earlier this morning (more on that later). It's supposed to rain on and off all day today, but it's still humid and uncomfortable outside.

DR Matt H, thank you for answering my question. I remember that you'd answered it before, but I honstly could not remember where or when.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »

Leaving soon to see a matinee at the Williamstown festival.  (So no tax work today.)

What's the show? They've never asked me back, although I'd rather work for Margo Lion than Michael Greif again, and I've never been added to their mailing list.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »

Seeing Quartermaine's Term.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up