Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A TRAVELIN' MAN  (Read 51010 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: A TRAVELIN' MAN
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:15 AM »

Then after taking a "dessert break" at Landmarc, we headed up to Lincoln Center to see if there were any tickets available for last night's performance of South Pacific.  Well...

-Do you by chance have any tickets for tonight's performance on South Pacific?
"Hold on. Let me see what I have...  I have two seats available, Fifth Row Center, on the aisle."
-YES! We'll take them!

:)

-Apparently, someone didn't use their house seats last night.

Long story - and long day - short: It was my third or fourth time seeing this production, but it was Daniel's first time. -He gets up to NYC about twice a year from Louisville.  He had heard good things about South Pacific, but it really wasn't on his radar for this trip. Well.. As soon as the overture started and the "magic" begain, well... It was very much on his radar.  And back on mine too.

The production is in good shape.  Laura Osnes - of "YTOTIW" fame - is a wonderful Nelly Forbush.  Alas, Paolo Szot was out last night, but Willam Michaels seems to have settled in nicely.  Both Loretta Ables Sayre (Blood Mary) and Danny Burstein (Billis) are still with the show, and both of them still break my heart.  -And seeing Danny's performance again last night just really made me wish he had won the Tony for his Billis - it's such a well-rounded and deep portrayal - and still fresh and real after almost two years!  I'm still not sure what I think of the new Lt. Cable... 'nuff said... ;)

After the show, I was able to catch up with one of my former students who is in the show, and he took us backstage and on-stage for a little tour.  It was a perfect way to cap an originally planned night at the theater, as well as a wonderful day in New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:18 AM »

Broken Leg Vibes for JMK's last Producer show
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »

Sounds like Jose had a wonderful day!!  The Vixter and I must get to see South Pacific at some point - may be we camn get there this fall

vixmom

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »

BTW Jose, do you know if former Dr Jason is still working  the concession at Avenue Q?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »

DR JMK - Have a wonderful last performance today!  *Will you be cutting "Good-Bye!"? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

BTW Jose, do you know if former Dr Jason is still working  the concession at Avenue Q?

Jason is over at Shrek right now.  But I'm sure that if the vixter would like some "merch", well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

OH!

One of the tape box collages that Louis Armstrong assembled included a photo of him standing alongside Danny Kaye and Susan Gordon from "The Three Pennys".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

Jason is over at Shrek right now.  But I'm sure that if the vixter would like some "merch", well... ;)

Iwas hoping we would run ito him _ I miss his wit and humor!

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »

We need to go see Shrek at some point as well

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »

well time to go be productive  - have a good day all!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »

DR Jose, I'm thinking about seeing THE HANGOVER at 84th late this afternoon. Want to come along?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

Sounds like Jose had a wonderful day!!  The Vixter and I must get to see South Pacific at some point - may be we camn get there this fall

I really did have a wonderful day yesterday.  And none of it had been planned in advanced.  Daniel was such a good "guest", and since he also liked to wander and walk around the city, it made for a nicely paced and varied day.  And, for the most part, the weather cooperated too.

There was one bit of panic I did have yesterday when I realized that I did not have my iPhone anywhere on me or in my bag.  Thankfully, I was able to retrace my steps, and was able to reclaim my phone... At the Lincoln Center box office... I guess in all the excitement of getting excellent seats for last night's show, I had left my iPhone on the little "shelf" outside the box office window.

Whoops! and Whew!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »

DR Jose, I'm thinking about seeing THE HANGOVER at 84th late this afternoon. Want to come along?

Hmm... Depends how late. What time?

I'm coaching at 2:00 - a friend of mine has a final callback for Hair tomorrow! - and then I was thinking of heading down to Lincoln Center to catch the recreation of Mazel Tov, Mis Amigos out at Damrosch Park.  However, the air-conditioned comfort of a movie-theater is starting to look more inviting right now... As well as Bradley Cooper.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »

OH! (once again)

The two current exhibitions at the NYPL for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center...

Diaghilev's Theater of Marvels: The Ballets Russes and Its Aftermath

and

Katharine Hepburn: In Her Own Files*

...are very well worth at least a few minutes of one's time.  The Katherine Hepburn exhibit, in particular, is filled with some incredible items, and I like how it doesn't gloss over some of the personal and professional clashes she had with some of her fellow thespians.  There's even a great little note of congratulations from Judy Garland in one of the cases too!

*You can download the brochure for the exhibit as a PDF from the site.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:22:29 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

DR Michael S - Condolences to you and your family. -And it really is amazing - and wonderful! - just how much "making a difference" can mean and do.

Exactly my sentiments.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2009, 10:16:30 AM »

I'm coaching at 2:00 - a friend of mine has a final callback for Hair tomorrow! - and then I was thinking of heading down to Lincoln Center to catch the recreation of Mazel Tov, Mis Amigos out at Damrosch Park.  However, the air-conditioned comfort of a movie-theater is starting to look more inviting right now... As well as Bradley Cooper.  ::)

5:40 show?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »

There's also one at 3:15.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

OH! (once again)

The two current exhibitions the NYPL...

and

...are very well worth at least a few minutes of one's time.  The Katherine Hepburn exhibit, in particular, is filled with some incredible items, and I like how it doesn't gloss over some of the personal and professional clashes she had with some of her fellow thespians.  There's even a great little note of congratulations from Judy Garland in one of the cases too!

At Lincoln Center NYPL?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »

OH! (once again)

The two current exhibitions the NYPL...

and

At Lincoln Center NYPL?

Yes, the Lincoln Center NYPL.  -Thankfully(?), Daniel and I had ended up spending a good hour going through those rooms - and that's when I noticed that my iPhone was M.I.A. We were still "on campus", and that made it much easier to retrace and remember my steps.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »

5:40 show?

5:40 sounds good if that's not too late for you.  -Then we could even grab a bit to eat right after the movie too, if you'd like.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »

We can go to the pizza place next to La cocina! I haven't been there in ages.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »

Thank you DR Jose.  I also hope the vet appointment this morning was productive & Yogi was given something to help his skin problem.  They really need to find a good vet in Silver Springs & get him allergy tested.

I'll just have to wait for news for when they have the time & energy to share.  Craig has friends in the DC area & I hope some of them were able to help unload the moving truck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »

Thank you DR Jose.  I also hope the vet appointment this morning was productive & Yogi was given something to help his skin problem.  They really need to find a good vet in Silver Springs & get him allergy tested.

I'll just have to wait for news for when they have the time & energy to share.  Craig has friends in the DC area & I hope some of them were able to help unload the moving truck.

There are lots of good vets in the Silver Spring area, well, in the DC area in general. I have lots of friends with pets down in DC/VA/MD, and they always seem very happy to recommend their vet to their friends. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »

OH! ;)

And I'd like to share another public Thank You to the folks at Casellula for yet another wonderful dining experience.  We stopped by there again - my fourth night in a row - for a post-show glass of wine, and ended up being treated to some brachetto, a taste of some mead(!), as well as a very personal selection of Spanish cheeses.  Oh, an amazing slice of chocolate cake too.

Like I said, yesterday was a really good day.  As was the day before.  And it looks like today is shaping up to be another good one too.

*And, I'm not really plugging the service, but Twitter really came into play the past few days.  It really is kind of amazing the number of Followers and Followings I've met over the past 72 hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »

OK - Time to get cleaned up and ready for the rest of my day.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:45 AM »

DR Jose you really know how to enjoy life :)

It is encouraging to hear there are many good vets in the area, hopefully one of those good vets will be close to their new apartment.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »

Friday I stopped at the library only to find it closed.  That is the moment in my day I realized it was Friday & not Saturday.  If I wasn't aware this happened 2 days ago & not yesterday, I might have let Keith convince me today is Saturday & not Sunday.  Between us we seem to be very confused this week. ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

But before I go, let’s all put on our pointy party hats and our colored tights and pantaloons, let’s all break out the cheese slices and the ham chunks, let’s all dance the Hora and the Charleston, for today is the birthday of our very own beloved TCB. So, let’s give a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer to our very own beloved TCB. On the count of three: One, two, three – A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER TO OUR VERY OWN BELOVED TCB!!!

Thank you, BK.  Pointy party hats make my head look normal.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »

A Very, Very HAPPY NATAL DAY, DR TCB!

Thank you, thank you, td.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

A super good birthday wish to a wonderful guy, DR TCB! Hope you have a great one!!

Thanks, Mikey!  Great card... and How!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up