Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIP  (Read 47287 times)

FJL

Re: THE TRIP
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2009, 05:23:51 AM »

Comfort to MBarnum's friends as well

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009, 05:38:28 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept well, and I will shortly deliver the Life Begins At 8:40 Full score and vocal score to Fed Ex. This morning, at last, my PHI payment landed in my bank account so I can pay me rent and a few bills, thank God! No word, of course, from the LoC and I don't expect any soon.  I also believe that, beginning today, I am going to walk without the support of a crutch and see how that goes.

As for the schedule today, until I head down to DR FJL's around 7 pm, I've got Brent Barrett's work and I may make a trip to the NYPL today. I need to order some music paper as well and I'm hoping that handyman George puts in an appearance. I'm starting to get antsy about the piles of books everywhere.

First trip to NYC was Christmas week, 1966, the first thought of escaping Ohio, and I was accompanied by my brother Tom AKA Macbeth and his best freind Chuck, who disliked his stepfather so much that he literally lived at our home and my parents regarded him as another son. We went by train, which was something I vowed in Jan 1967 to never repeat. My memories of the trip are the three of us seeing MAN OF LA MANCHA with original cast, still at the ANTA Theatre in Washington Square before it moved uptown, HELLO DOLLY! with Ginger Rogers (Mary Martin had been better but the staging and design were absolutely brilliant as ever), City Ballet's NUTCRACKER, and living at Sam Goody's, King Karol, and Drama Book Shop. I returned with many wonderful things I could never purchase in Middletown or Oxford, Ohio, shops. I was dying to see CABARET, which had recently opened, but it was impossible to get near. Still, after a week in Manhattan, I thought, I could live here one day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: ZEUGMA!

And The Song Of The Day Is : YOU AND THE NIGHT AND THE MUSIC

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »

TOD:

I don't really remember my first actual trip to NYC--my family had been making day trips up to the city even before I was born.  My parents claim that they took all of us kids to see shows such as DOLLY and FIDDLER, but I don't remember that at all.  I do have slight recollections of being at the '64 World's Fair.

Probably the first trip that I do clearly recall included visits to the United Nations (where I bought a wind-up frog and a set of castanets) and then a tour of the NBC studios (where I had the thrill of my life seeing the studio where CONCENTRATION was taped.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:06 AM »

I am back in my old space at my office. I still need my two boxes which need to be unpacked but otherwise I'm set up in my newly carpeted old space.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2009, 06:10:44 AM »

! ! ! ! !  BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES TO DRs VIXMOM, WOODY & TCB  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2009, 06:17:31 AM »

Comfort to MBarnum's friends as well
                         Ditto!   
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2009, 06:49:35 AM »

So sorry to hear bad news about friends from MBarnum and Cillaliz.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2009, 06:49:37 AM »

Good morning!

A coolish morning here with some hot temps expected for this afternoon. Ugh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »

Back from PT with some encouraging news. The therapist believes much of my pain is being produced by my abysmal posture, so I have some exercises to perform twice a day to help my body relearn proper stance and hopefully relieving pressure on the spinal column which is sending out shock waves to my arm.

He also gave me some suggestions about comfortable sleep positions to that I can hopefully sleep through the night. It will be really interesting to try it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:42 AM »

I have another appointment next Monday (later in the morning) to assess my progress.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »

Unless Disney's Blu-ray release of EARTH arrives today (I'm expecting it this week), my work project today will be THAT HAMILTON WOMAN, the next in Criterion's release series for September. I haven't seen this in decades, so revisiting it today is going to be a decided treat.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »

I've told the story so many times about my first trip to NYC: 1958 in December/1959. We saw MY FAIR LADY on that trip with Sally Ann Howes and Edward Mulhare as the first replacements for the original leads. We went to all the touristy places: EMpire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, Radio City.

I was going to say that the movie was OPERATION PETTICOAT, but that didn't come out until 1959, so that must have been the next CHristmas when we saw that.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 07:01:52 AM »

I believe the game show we went to on that trip was BEAT THE CLOCK.

Laura

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2009, 07:06:53 AM »

DR Matt H, I am so glad to read your encouraging news. I hope you get back to your normal self very soon!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 07:13:49 AM »

Guess I'm not going to the gym at nine-thirty.  I woke up around six and just stayed in bed like so much fish, snoozing on and off until my wake-up call at eight-thirty, but I was just too tired to get up.  I'm up now but very groggy - I'll try walking over to the gym in about a half-hour.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.

DAW

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:30 AM »

DR Matt H, I am so glad to read your encouraging news.

DITTO!!  :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »

Good news, Matt!

Still waiting to hear what my PT will entail.  I will say that I had a major wake up call yesterday, playing the 9 foot concert grand at my church gig--as soon as I hit the pedal, my leg/knee was in incredible pain, so I do think part of this is something akin to "carpal tunnel" syndrome, although with the wrong appendage.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:13 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It is refreshingly cool and clear here in SW Ohio today.  Our goal this week is to get Rob moved back home.  Since he only has one more quarter in Cincinnati and will also be taking EMT certification classes in Dayton, it makes sense for him to live here, right in the middle.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:48 AM »

Sorry to read bad news regarding friends of DRs Cillaliz and MBarnum.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »

Vibes to DRs MattH and JMK as they begin their physical therapy regimens.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »

DR JMK - I do believe that it was ME who told you weeks before you went to the doctor that you were going too HEAVY on the pedal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »

Good news from DR MATTH.

And not so good news from DR MBARNUM and DR CILLA LIZ......

I thought it was DR MS who lost his godfather....what happened to DR JOSE?  I missed a post.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »

Thanks, folks, for the encouraging words of support. I have been making an effort even sitting in this chair to get the posture under control and straighten up my neck, and by George (not DR George or Bernard Shaw), I can tell some difference!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »

TOD - My mother took me to NYC for the first time in 1967, between my junior and senior years of high school.  We stayed at the New York Hilton on 6th Ave. and saw the original cast of Cabaret and the Mimi Hines/Johnny Desmond Funny Girl.  Also went to Radio City Music Hall, a taping of Concentration, for a ride on the Staten Island Ferry, and on a guided tour of the then-new Lincoln Center.  It was there, in the Performing Arts branch of New York Public Library, that I decided to pursue librarianship as a career.  I think that worked out pretty well...

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »

I think I'm done with my morning surf, so I'll head down now and maybe clean the bedroom area before making lunch plans with best friend John.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that on that first NYC trip, we stayed at the Taft Hotel (long gone).

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »

DR JMK - I do believe that it was ME who told you weeks before you went to the doctor that you were going too HEAVY on the pedal.

I thought you meant gas-wise in my car.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up