Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM  (Read 54537 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »

Watching the ceremonies for Sen. Kennedy this afternoon, I was reminded of a story I had almost forgotten about my almost-brush with Ted Kennedy.  I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about my friend Sandy and I traveling back to New York and then to Washington D.C. for the National Collegiate Broadcasting Convention.

Our first day in Washington, we took a cab up to the Senate Office Building.  This was Spring 1969, and at the time, Washignton State had two very powerful Senators, Henry Jackson and Warren Magnusson.  Now this was at the time that anit-war protests on college campsues were going on full force; but Sandy and I were both clean-cut and we were both dressed in suits.  So, when we got to the Senate Building, we went first to Senator Magnusson's office.  We had written to both Senators six weeks before our trip asking if we could have a few moments of their time for an interview.  We were told to check when we arrived.  Senator Magnusson's staff was nice but brisk when they told us their was no way in Hell that the Senator could see us.  Senator Jackson's staff was downright rude, and actually laughed at us when we asked if we could arrange a meeting. 

As were dejectedly walked down the Hall, I noticed a nameplate on one of the doors, so I turned around and headed into the office of Senator Ted Kennedy.  The very sweet receptionist asked what she could do for us; and I explained that we were college journalists from Washington State and we wondered if there was any chance we could meet with Senator Kennedy.  The receptionist was very apologetic that the Senator was behind closed doors preparing for an important speech he was giving at the U.N. that evening (the speech was to ask the U.N. to admit Red China to their ranks).  For the next half hour the staff did everything possible to try and fit Senator Kennedy's schedule with our convention schedule.  It was was just impossible, but they tried so hard to help us, even though our own state senators couldn't have cared less.

On the last morning in Washington we went over to the visitor's gallery of the Seante.  Every important Senator (including our unavailable senators) was present because it had just been announced that morning that one of the truly loved Senators had been diagnosed with terminal cancer (don't remember who).  We, at least, got to see and hear Senator Kennedy address the Senate, as well as several other Senators speak.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »

Last night I developed a strange rash, it seemed as if a reaction to poison oak was suddenly appearing across my body.  On my upper arm I had what looked like new blisters or large welts.  Needless to say I was rather upset & worried I was in for several weeks of suffering again.  I piled all my clothes I wore the last couple of days, including the pajamas I had put on, into a pile to be washed today.  Luckily I had changed the sheets earlier in the day.  I took a Benadyl, rubbed a gritty poison oak oil remover all over the red areas, which also helped relieve the itching, and then took a shower and washed with Tecnu.  Then I used the strong prescription ointment I have.  I don’t know what I had, or which combination of things I used worked, happily I woke up this morning completely fine. 

You can imagine how relieved I am!

DAW

« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »

That is great, DR Jane.  Hoo & Ray for no further and protracted suffering!

Jane

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »

Good evening.  DR Jose, I think you are right and there is cream cheese in the Spaghetti bread

How did you figure that out?  Did you freeze any of the leftovers?

Michael

« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »

Some of the major cast recordings that have not been released on CD

New Faces of 52
New Faces of 56

They're probably on hold because of the many different writers for the show

No Time For Sing

Not a successfully show but it never been released. I wonder if the tapes have been lost?

Oh What A Lovely War

Probably the same reason as above but I would think these songs are in public domain
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »

Good evening.  DR Jose, I think you are right and there is cream cheese in the Spaghetti bread

How did you figure that out?  Did you freeze any of the leftovers?

What leftovers?    I could just feel it ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

I'm getting very sentimental; I wept through a great deal of TAKING WODSTOCK, probably weeping more for the past 40 years and the friends I haven't seen since August 1969, but I absolutely loved the film. It's very funny, moving and quite nostaslgic. Like MILK, I couldn't tell where the authentic footage ended and the new  began, and I thought, like MILK, the period was captured really well, especially a quiet rural community in the Catskills. My friend Matthew was in Buffalo in August 1969 and he remembers the clogged highways. I was in Middletown, OH, following a season of summer theatre and waiting for my second year of grad school to begin.

And I was preparing to start Kindergarten.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

I do not ever remember not having ice cream.  We had it almost every night when I was growing up.  The only ice cream I really don't like is cold stone creamery (I think that's the name)   The ice cream I've tried there tastes like powdered sugar.  Too sweet for me

I don't bother with their ice cream, I don't care for the taste of it.  I remember the first time we saw one I was excited to see Sweet Cream on the list.  In Pennsylvania & in Ann Arbor I had some terrific Sweet Cream (like the best vanilla you have ever had) and was soooo disappointed.  I've sampled several other flavors & didn't enjoy them.

Cillaliz

« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2009, 06:30:26 PM »

It was way too good not to eat it all.  That's once of the reasons I didn't start my diet today...the other was that I still had cupcakes....well those are gone now too :)

Jane

« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

I have decided to offically go back on a diet Monday.  Today I finished the cupcakes and the spaghetti bread.  I don't have too many other no nos in the house.   My biggest problen is that I'm just eating too much of everything, it was a very stressful week and I'm a big stress eater.   Jane, I'm not sure if I'll offically go back to ww. I think I may sign up for the online tools where it's really easy to keep track of my points.  I just need to get things back under control and I think I'll lose the weight I've gained.   My skinny clothes still fit, so it's not too late to get things under control.

Good for you and I see you didn't freeze leftover bread-lol.  Probably best not to have it in the house come Monday. ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »

Joe Frazzetta took a photo of me at yesterday's reading of TIME AFTER TIME!

Did you enjoy TIME AFTER TIME?
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2009, 06:32:14 PM »

DR TCB - great story about Sen. Kennedy and his staff.  Wonder if any of the people you encountered 40 years ago were standing on the steps this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

LOL Cilla.  Now you have finished everything you can mentally prepare to be good on Monday.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »

DR TCB, perfect day for your Senator Kennedy story.  That was very, very nice of his staff.

DAW

« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »

As bk would ask:  I wonder how the Spaghetti Bread felt being felt?

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »

Yeah, and our weather has been really cool and I think will basically stay that way.  I do much better with exercise and dieting when it's cool out.  I'm watching Teddy Kennedy In His Own Words, but when it's over I will work out on the Wii.  I haven't done that in weeks.

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »

In 1969 I was 8 years old. and looking forward to the third grade

Laura

« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2009, 06:40:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9_Vq4tUpU

Very short, but it shows everyone.

Jennifer

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »

DR Jane re: your bear comments last night (you asked what kind of bears were in the forrest).

As i mentioned there is a sign near the lake with a picture of a bear.

But (and i thought i had said this) there are no bears. I would never bike there if i thought there were bears.

I live in the suburbs. Where would the bear come from?

There is a picture of a rabbit and a fox and a bear. But like the little boy told his friend you're not gonna find a bear or a fox. It's just a little scary seeing the pic. I'm sure that pic has been there for years. But if anyone had ever seen a bear i'm sure it would be in the news and people would not be biking/walking there!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »

DR TCB - great story about Sen. Kennedy and his staff.  Wonder if any of the people you encountered 40 years ago were standing on the steps this afternoon.

I wondered the same thing, Ginny.  I looked, but forty years is a long time, and the only person I recognized was Senator Byrd; because we also got to hear him speak that day at the Senate.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2009, 06:42:48 PM »

In 1969 I was 8 years old. and looking forward to the third grade

I got married and really wasn't interested in Woodstock and I'm still not.

Jane

« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »

It's cute.  What is the clicking (?) noise, a toy?

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Thanks DR Laura. They look great. I'm sure they will find good homes.  What are the prospects for Jane being adopted? I hope they are good as well

Jane

« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2009, 06:46:09 PM »

DR Jane re: your bear comments last night (you asked what kind of bears were in the forrest).

As i mentioned there is a sign near the lake with a picture of a bear.

But (and i thought i had said this) there are no bears. I would never bike there if i thought there were bears.

I live in the suburbs. Where would the bear come from?

There is a picture of a rabbit and a fox and a bear. But like the little boy told his friend you're not gonna find a bear or a fox. It's just a little scary seeing the pic. I'm sure that pic has been there for years. But if anyone had ever seen a bear i'm sure it would be in the news and people would not be biking/walking there!

Silly me, I figured if there were photos of wild life then they really were there.  Bears have been seen in Ashland as have other large wildlife.

Everyone still walks, hike & bike the trails here, even with the sighting so why wouldn't they where you live. ;)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »

It probably had something to do with my father being a General and Senior Officer at Ft. Lewis, but Senators Jackson (who was still in the reserves, IIRC, and thus under my father's command) and Magnuson were both very accommodating to me when I met them in Seattle at various times.  I think I still have an autographed picture "Scoop" gave me.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »

Magnuson even then, when I was about 10, struck me as a complete d**khead.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »

My almost 4 year old niece just left. She was supposed to sleep over tonight. But changed her mind at the last minute.

She sleeps over most weekends and usually i don't mind either way if she stays or not. But this time she had decided early and i was really looking forward  to it.

My sis stayed really late (she was here till 9pm, and usually leaves at 6pm). So my niece was over tired. But a family friend came over to see the baby. And i was talking to this friend while my niece wanted to play with me. I told her we would play after her mom and sister left.

I guess it hurt her feelings that we were ignoring her. And she was overtired. I probably could have talked her into staying. But even though she's only 3 we usually let her decide on her own what she wants to do.

But for some reason i really wanted her to stay and felt really bad when she left. Maybe because i spent all night playing with the baby and was waiting for us to spend all night and morning together.

:(

Laura

« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

The pastor's wife brought the chirping toy, which they love.

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

Tomorrow I'm going to go see my friends Gretchen and Steve for the first time since he got the sad news last week that he is losing his battle with cancer. 

TCB

• Because I can!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up