Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?  (Read 35001 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2004, 12:04:05 PM »

Off to lunch meeting.  Keep the home fries burning.  I spent all morning on the phone with McAfee and AOL because weirdnesses continue to plague my system.  I'm finally having a computer expert come to my house tomorrow to purge the computer of whatever is causing these multiple problems.  Something went screwy somewhere and it's time to stop putting band-aids on things (I'm sure part of the problem is that every AOL tech tells you to do different things and I'm sure that's when something went wrong).  I will then hopefully be able to have normal AOL again and not be a beta tester.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2004, 12:11:01 PM »

Donna Migliaccio is an on-line friend of der Brucer's and mine, a wonderful person and quite talented, not to mention one of the founders of the Signature Theater.  

I scored the Signature Theatre's production of ASSASSINS, in which Donna played Sara Jane Moore.  She was so wonderful juggling her purse and her pistol!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2004, 12:32:04 PM »

My goodness, almost 3:30 in the afternoon here, and I've accomplished nothing all day but surf the internet, spend money, and engage in lively chatter. I know, who's complaining, but I can't believe how fast this Arpil Fool's Day has gone.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2004, 12:45:07 PM »

Without a doubt, my favorite "fools" song and my favorite "April" song is Bacharach and David's April Fools, as sung by Dionne Warwick.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »

Thanks, Bill.  I am off to the theatre and will let her know!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »

Btw, for those who are fans of Wonderfalls.  Apparently FOX is showing it tonight at 9pm instead of Friday at 9pm.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2004, 12:54:29 PM »

I've said "No" to a lot of people in my life.

It's some of the "Yeses" I most regret!

Woof!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2004, 12:55:49 PM »

Hi all,

Just got home from the dentist.  It turns out that the sinus headache I've been talking about for the past week or so turned mean and I have a massive sinus infection.  Nothing is wrong with my teeth except I'm grinding them at night.  I had to have a night guard made.  Joy.  I have to go back on Tuesday to get the guard and have a  check up.   Then back 10 days after that to check the guard and another check up.

I never would have guessed that it could make your teeth/mouth hurt as badly as mine is hurting me right now.  

I've got 4 kinds of meds to take so if I sound a little "off" (I heard that)  it's because everything I'm taking.

I'm going to lay down now.  Talk with you all later.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2004, 12:59:36 PM »

Good news, in that what you have can be fixed without the loss of teeth.  :) Feel better soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2004, 01:07:45 PM »

Feel better DR Danise!

Dave in the valley

• Petey says "Hello from Hollywood!"
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2004, 01:21:08 PM »

I think that this years "American Idol" winner(s) will be a bust - and the only name spoken years from now will be William Hung - like in the 2010 version of Trivial Pursuit.
Dave in the Valley

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2004, 01:41:49 PM »

Dave in the Valley I think Petey is darling.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2004, 01:45:25 PM »

Btw, for those who are fans of Wonderfalls.  Apparently FOX is showing it tonight at 9pm instead of Friday at 9pm.

It really burns me!  It's up against THE APPRENTICE now, and I won't be watching WONDERFALS again until after April 15.  Damn them to hell.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2004, 01:46:49 PM »

Favorite April Fool's Joke:

My fourth least favorite boss, Michael, earned that distinction simply for being such a twit.  He was gullible to a genuine fault, and even after being told the true information would refuse to believe it, because the true info contradicted what he had heard first, which had to be correct because it was first.

He was not generally respected, and this extended up and down the line, right up the the office manager's secretary, Sandy.  So when I suggested the following, Sandy agreed to the prank wholeheartedly.

Michael's schedule put him in the office a full hour before me, supervising the rest of the clerks.  In turn, I was pretty much on my own during the last hour, taking care of the clean-up jobs at the end of the day.  This particular April Fool's Day, I left him a note, a nice big one, telling him that the office manager had come by to ask Michael a few questions after he had left.  No indication about what the questions were about, of course.  And, since the manager wouldn't arrive at the office for at least another hour, Michael was left to stew over what the manager had wanted all that time.

When Sandy arrived in the office, she made a point of dropping by the file room, where Michael asked her what the manager had wanted.  As we had planned, she replied, "Not to worry, it's already been taken care of."  And no matter how much Michael pressed her, she let it go at that.

By the time I arrived in the office, Michael was already climbing the walls, trying to remember what it could have been that was so important!  I just kept my mouth shut for a couple of hours, until I finally took pity on the guy and told him the truth.  Michael refused to believe that Sandy and I had conspired together on this prank!  It took a meeting with the manager to get through to him!

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2004, 01:46:58 PM »

Happy April Fool's Day!

I'm really not a big April Fools Day person for some reason.  I think it's because I'm VERY gullible, so I tend to fall for jokes people play on me, but it's seldom vice versa.

Songs I like fitting today's theme:

April in Paris
These Foolish Things
What Kind of Fool Am I?
The Joker

If I may: Here's the review from the Washington Post..  Donna Migliaccio is an on-line friend of der Brucer's and mine, a wonderful person and quite talented, not to mention one of the founders of the Signature Theater.  (She also appeared recently as Domina in the ST's production of AFTHOTWTTForum, and in their revisals of Allegro and Twentieth Century.)

I met her after "Allegro" and she was sooo nice!  I need to buy my "Elegies" tix as soon as possible...it seems (judging by Jose's reaction and by the reviews) that they aren't going to last long.

I really wish I had started going to Signature Theatre shows earlier; they're such a wonderful company.  And next season they're doing "Pacific Overtures" and a new La Chiusa musical, "The Highest Yellow" about Van Gogh and his doctor.  When I read that, I just about fainted.  I think La Chiusa is my favorite post-Sondheim composer.    

Good vibes to Danise!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 01:48:32 PM by Maya »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2004, 01:49:15 PM »

I think that this years "American Idol" winner(s) will be a bust - and the only name spoken years from now will be William Hung - like in the 2010 version of Trivial Pursuit.

As opposed to the "bust" that the first two winners have been?

:D

I'd like to think it will go up a bit from here.  There are some wonderful singers in this group, much moreso than in the first two competitions.

I think it high praise of the "audience vote" that Clay Aiken, even as runner-up, has been having great success.  Had Simon had his way, Clay would have been sent packing early in the competition.  The only singers he has held in such low esteem in this competition are Matt Rogers and Diana DeGarmo.

Isn't it terribly odd - and WRONG - that he has coddled Camile while vilifying far superior singers?????  I think it's because he thinks she has the right "look".   Simon is all about the look over every other consideration, while Randy and Paula know that the look can be created and that the competition is about SINGING.

I scratch my head and wonder what Simon saw in Ruben that he refuses to see in Amy or Jennifer...perhaps they're not fat enough????  I think there has been a huge double-standard in this regard.  What on earth makes Ruben more palatable than Jennifer...or last year's Kimberly Locke?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 01:52:38 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2004, 01:59:47 PM »

Here's my proudest achievement in April Fool's jokes.  

When I was 'round nine years old, my brother Eddie was just learning to read, so he had a number of children's books checked out from the public library.  I took down the names of the books he'd checked out, and went to the library myself and checked out the same books...in French.  While he wasn't looking, I replaced his English books with my French books, and managed to convince Eddie that he'd forgotten how to read.  Of course, he was rather upset about this development...

And even though I got punished for my mean ol' joke, I could tell that Mum was actually pretty amused by the whole thing.

Oh, and here I am, reading and enjoying Kritzer Time.  Don't I look enraptured???
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 02:27:06 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2004, 02:02:39 PM »

Another office prank:

The rule in the file room was that we were to answer the phones for file requests within three rings.  This was part of our "service with a smile" rules, and a number of the other clerks hated the rule.  One of these rule-snubbers was Peggy, who would regularly answer the phone "when she got to it."

One of the other rules was that we were all supposed to take turns answering the phone.  Three phone calls in a row, and we passed the phone duty to the next person.  (And yes, there were some on the staff that would pass the phones after just two calls, but that was another problem.)

Peggy was off for a few days, which didn't bother me in the least because she was a highly judgemental sort.  She hadn't actually told me "God doesn't love you" when she learned that I'm gay (Rita was the one who said that), but it was certainly part of her attitude.  After Peggy returned to the office, I decided to see if we could get some extra energy out of her.  I told her that the rule had been changed somewhat.  If someone didn't answer the phone within the three-ring time limit, that person had to start all over with the three-call count.  Fourth ring, it was back to first call.

And she bought it!

I had to scurry behind her back, of course, letting everyone else in on the joke in case she checked with them about the rule change.  Fortunately, Peggy was not that well loved, and everyone went along with the prank.

You never saw anyone run to the phone as fast as Peggy did that entire day!  She almost knocked some of the other clerks down, just to get to the phone in time and not be "penalized."  It wasn't until quitting time rolled around that Michael found out about what was going on and ruined everything by telling Peggy that he hadn't made any such ruling.

Even then, I almost convinced him that such a rule would be a good thing in reality.

I can be such a stinker!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »

...I think it high praise of the "audience vote" that Clay Aiken, even as runner-up, has been having great success.  Had Simon had his way, Clay would have been sent packing early in the competition.  The only singers he has held in such low esteem in this competition are Matt Rogers and Diana DeGarmo.

Isn't it terribly odd - and WRONG - that he has coddled Camile while vilifying far superior singers?????  I think it's because he thinks she has the right "look".   Simon is all about the look over every other consideration, while Randy and Paula know that the look can be created and that the competition is about SINGING.

I scratch my head and wonder what Simon saw in Ruben that he refuses to see in Amy or Jennifer...perhaps they're not fat enough????  I think there has been a huge double-standard in this regard.  What on earth makes Ruben more palatable than Jennifer...or last year's Kimberly Locke?
Oh, come now!  The look is everything!  Glitches in the recording studio can be fixed later when the record is mixed, everyone knows that!

(Hope the above reads as sarcasm.)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2004, 02:09:42 PM »

Of course we are all dying to know:  What was the question?

"Hey, Pen, wanna play the Old Woman in Candide with us?" and "Hey, Pen, wanna play the Beggar Woman in Sweeney at New York City Opera with us?" and stuff like that... oy.
PennyO

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2004, 02:23:03 PM »

Just got home from the dentist.  It turns out that the sinus headache I've been talking about for the past week or so turned mean and I have a massive sinus infection.  Nothing is wrong with my teeth except I'm grinding them at night.  I had to have a night guard made.  Joy.  

Not sure why my dear wife gets mentioned after the night guard, but assume this has something to do with April fool's.

Maya - I'll join you in saying that Michael John LaChiusa is my favorite three-named post-Sondheim composer.

For utter foolishness, see my post from five months ago about how I got into some heavy mud on Halloween.

After working from 10-4:30 sans break, I'm at the internet café before returning for the first rehearsal.  The other number I pasted tiny bits of lyric on, the one I didn't write, is not ready for distribution because the director doesn't like the final bars.  I feel, the earlier music is distributed, the better.  We go up in three weeks.  It should be worth seeing.

One of our most talented men has been ejected, which saddens me.  But as Woody Allen once said, 90% of success is just showing up.  Which this guy didn't.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 02:25:55 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2004, 02:28:16 PM »

Running around like a chicken with my head cut off! Drove up to Wilsonville and had breakfast at Pig N' Pancake with my buddy Mark, then went shopping at Frey's and bought on dvd FUNNY FACE, BRIGHT EYES, and a DVD with 5 (count 'em five) of the old Blondie movies from the 1940s!!! My favorites!! Then drove back to Salem mowed the lawn, pulled a few weeds, took a shower, read todays notes and HHW posts, and am now going to drive over to my neice's wedding rehearsal and dinner! In between I scoured the neighborhood for my missing pussycat Freddy who has been absent since yesterday morning. I am hoping he is just exploring :( and yes I am a bit worried as he never stays away from the house for this long!

Jane

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2004, 02:35:07 PM »

Freddy go home now!!

I hope he heard me.  

Good vibes for Freddy's safe return.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »

Running around like a chicken with my head cut off! Drove up to Wilsonville and had breakfast at Pig N' Pancake with my buddy Mark, then went shopping at Frey's and bought on dvd FUNNY FACE, BRIGHT EYES, and a DVD with 5 (count 'em five) of the old Blondie movies from the 1940s!!! My favorites!! Then drove back to Salem mowed the lawn, pulled a few weeds, took a shower, read todays notes and HHW posts, and am now going to drive over to my neice's wedding rehearsal and dinner! In between I scoured the neighborhood for my missing pussycat Freddy who has been absent since yesterday morning. I am hoping he is just exploring :( and yes I am a bit worried as he never stays away from the house for this long!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Vibes, Michael,
To You and Freddy!
[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2004, 02:44:36 PM »

Maya - I'll join you in saying that Michael John LaChiusa is my favorite three-named post-Sondheim composer.

Hehe...who is your favorite 2-name?

Robin

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2004, 02:48:09 PM »

Running around like a chicken with my head cut off!

Hey, I was raised on a farm...I've actually seen that.  It's really quite a distressing image.  

Hopefully, this image is less so.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 02:49:08 PM by Robin »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »

Ya know, Dear Reader Robin, in the first picture you posted you bear an uncanny resemblance to Mr. Guy Haines.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Robin

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2004, 03:13:23 PM »

Ya know, Dear Reader Robin, in the first picture you posted you bear an uncanny resemblance to Mr. Guy Haines.

Don't be starting rumours, Dear Reader Jay.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2004, 03:23:06 PM »

My workplace had been curiously devoid of "unseemly" behavior most of the day until about 30 minutes ago when someone fell for a message she got telling her to call Ms. Ellie Fant at a number that belongs to the Oakland Zoo.

I, myself, have attempted to play something similar, telling our Personnel secretary I'd received an errant call from a gentleman wanting to verify employment.  I'd have forwarded the message but he had another call so I took his name and number.  Please call Mr. Lyon at (number of the Oakland Zoo).

She sent me a reply thanking me and asking me to foward all such calls to her whenever I get them.  Still, she hasn't called Mr. Lyon, or even sussed out that I might be fooling her.

Danise

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2004, 03:33:53 PM »

Hello again all.

I have had a nice nap and amy well medicated so life if good.   :)

Dr. Noel, sorry. No disrespect meant to DR Joy.  I was expressing how thrilled I was/am.  

Many thanks to all for the good vibes.  They really DO help.

My turn to pass some good vibes on to Michael and Freddy.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

BTW Happy New Year all !!  If I remember correctly that is why we have April Fool's day.  When they changed the calandar to Jan 1, some people still wanted the year to start on this date.  To make them change, jokes were played on them and they were called "April Fools".  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 03:34:28 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up