Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BK GOES TO THE OPERA  (Read 18596 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: BK GOES TO THE OPERA
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 06:37:35 AM »

I like movie ballets more than seeing them in the theater live where I tend to tire of them before they're over. I have seen SWAN LAKE, SLEEPING BEAUTY, and, of course, THE NUTCRACKER.

But I like "The Red Shoes," "An American in Paris," the dancing in THE TURNING POINT because none of these ballets wear out their welcomes with me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 06:37:47 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's cool and foggy here in SW Ohio - again - today.  Sometime this morning Rob and Mary Linda's friend Allison (she introduced them) to arrive to pick up the stuff she stores at our house when she goes away from UC for her co-op terms.  Hope she doesn't get lost in all the construction on the highways around here!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »

Thanks to DR Jose for the comments about the neighborhood and hotel last night.  I made email inquiries into 4 properties listed on vrbo.com and am awaiting replies.

Is there something special going on the weekend of Oct. 24-25 that has the hotels all booked up?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and watch a Brett/Holmes program before I start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »

TOD - My favorite performance of a full-length ballet was the spring 2008 production of Swan Lake at the University of Cincinnati, in which Mary Linda performed several roles.  I had to keep reminding myself that these were college students and we'd only paid $10 each for our tickets.

For one of our first dates, Richard (then a well-loved 5th grade teacher) took me to a ballet (Joffrey 2, maybe) at our local campus.  At intermission, I left him in the lobby and went to the ladies' room.  When I rejoined him, he was surrounded by adoring pre-teen girls gazing up at him.  They were very suspicious of the new woman at his side. 

DAW

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:08 AM »

An amusing and surprisingly touching read:

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »

Good Morning! 

TOD later-- too many things to do now around here, and the weather (so far) is decent.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 07:44:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRADUCE!

Wasn't Irma in that?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »

HELP DEAR READERS!!!!!!

Does anyone have a VHS or DVD copy of the movie, "How To Be Very, Very Popular" (Sheree North, Betty Grable, Charles Coburn, Bob Cummings) that you would let me borrow?  I will behappy to provide references and my credentials.   I cannot find it through the usual places.

I like boat races.

Kit Lo

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »

Topic of Discussion response: I don't think I've watched any ballet, but I remember and love Karen Ziemba dancing to "Anitra's Dance" in "Contact."

Petit Le Mans is coming in the next hour - please give the people of Atlanta good flood-recovery vibes while I'm praying for awesome racing vibes for Corvette Racing and Risi Competizione.

DAW

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »

~~~EXTRA-STRENGTH FLOOD RECOVERY VIBES~~~
FOR THE GOOD PEOPLE OF ATLANTA!!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »

Sorry, DR Kerry.  I'm sure you have impeccable credentials, but I've never even heard of that movie!!           :P

DAW

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 08:06:36 AM »

I sure hope that DR ArnoldMBrockman and his lovely wife are having an excellent trip!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 08:15:46 AM »

Silly me - and here I thought that because there's a realtor open house tomorrow that the oafs couldn't possibly be back, and yet, there they are talking outside my bedroom window at seven-thirty.  Unbelievable.

DAW

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »

bk, have you considered purchasing one of those air horns that comes attached to a can of pressurized air?  I'll bet that blasting that out your window for 10 seconds or so would send those oafs a message!  The rest of the neighborhood, too!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »

I have only seen THE NUTCRACKER and SWAN LAKE. Loved the NUTCRACKER. Have loved the music from SWAN LAKE since I was a child, but the actual ballet was way too long.

DAW

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »

DR MBarnum....

I'll bet you wouldn't find this version too long!!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »

I received the nicest email today from WARNER BAXTER informing me he had redesigned my website.  I think it's faboo that he was able to find work, and high tech work at that, in the great beyond.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »

Operas?  Ballets?  Simply drop by my domicile and I can show you piles of Blu-ray's.  In fact I'm just finishing up a rather nice Royal Opera House production of Sleeping Beauty, whose review I must get up this weekend.  I wll say Naxos really has released some swell things over the past couple of months (this month in particular), and I highly recommend two of their upcoming releases:  Twin Spirits, in which Sting, Trudie Styler and a host of fantastic musicians (including Simon Keenlyside) reenact the lives and love of Robert and Clara Schumann, in their own words and music; and an interesting, mostly successful mounting of Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress, reset to a sort of melange of wild west and early 50's America (strange, yes, but it somehow works). 

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »

TOD:  Another favorite perennial ballet score:  Copland's Appalachian Spring.

JMK

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

DR MBarnum....

I'll bet you wouldn't find this version too long!!!!

...featuring Blue Man Group?

DAW

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:32 AM »

No.  Just lots of barely clothed male ballet hunks and plenty of homoerotic undertones.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »

I shall now go jog.

JMK

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »

No.  Just lots of barely clothed male ballet hunks and plenty of homoerotic undertones.

Somehow I had guessed.   ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »

Good morn ing, all! I slept way too long this morning, and I am very glad I did.

BK, I see that the LA Opera is doing THE BARBER OF SEVILLE this season with a really good set of leads. Ask your friend to get you into the production: Juan Diego Florez, Joyce Didonato, and Nathan Gunn. You will know the big aria for Figaro, "Largo al factotum," because it's been parodied from THE LITTLE RASCALS to Warner Brothers cartoons, and it's a very funny comedy.

Today I've been tossing out a lot of CDs from my colection for space. I have a huge number of classical, popular, and jazz going to Miami University Library. The cleanout will probably continue for most of the week. A lot of them I am downloading into iTunes before tossing, so it's taking me some time.

I will shortly run down to Toyland for some work there.

TOD: I like ballet, and I'm very partial to Tchaikovsy's big 3: SWAN LAKE< SLEEPING BEAUTY, and NUTCRACKER, which is the most dependent on the whims of its choreographers who often destroy the intentions behind Tchaikovsky's score because the original libretto is not very sound dramatically. My two favorite versions are Balanchine's for NY City Ballet, which made the ballet a popular one for every ballet company in the USA and inspired a book, NUTCRACKER NATION, and Peter Wright's first version for the Royal Ballet, which he choreographed in collaboration with Roland Wiley, author of the major book on Tchaikovsky's ballet scores; Mr Wright has done several rethinkings of the ballet which get further away from the original ballet.

I'm also very fond of Delibes' two ballets for Paris of the 1870's, COPPELIA - a comedy about a young man enamoured of a doll he thinks is real sitting on Dr Coppelius' balcony, to the dismay of his fiancee - and SYLVIA, a bit of pseudo-Greek mythology. I was lucky to see the Joffrey Ballet in the 1970s perform a duplication of Stravinsky's wonderful PETRUCHKA, and I find it sad that there is no performance of PETRUCHKA in its original desings and choreography on video.

My favortie contemporary ballet is 30 years old, Jerome Robbin's fantastic DANCES AT A GATHERING, one of the most glorious theatrical pieces I have ever seen.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »

Undertones, hell! It's the gayest ballet. EVER! It was also one of the most moving dance pieces I've ever seen.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »

I sure hope that DR ArnoldMBrockman and his lovely wife are having an excellent trip!

I'm sure they are, just in case VIBES THEY ARE!

Laura

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »

I've seen the Nutcracker, Coppelia, Firebird, and the Gay Swan Lake.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »

During the mid-Sixties, the Robert Joffrey Ballet used Tacoma as their summer home.  It was an all-too brief love affair between a city and a corp de ballet.  I was lucky enough to see some incredible ballets perfromed by the Joffrey Comapny.  My two favorites were THE GREEN TABLE, an anti-war piece (this was duirng Viet Nam) and one called, I believe, OLYMPICS.  The second one included some incredible scantily-clothed male dancers that were pretty mind-blowing for a 17 year boy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up