Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NOVOPAIN  (Read 10963 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: NOVOPAIN
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 06:23:22 AM »

So far, no UPS deliveries, but I haven't checked the front door yet. The UPS truck seemed to drive right by, but I could have been distracted by exercising and not seen him go to the front.

That will mean another day off. Have no clue what I'll watch today if I do indeed have the day off.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 06:23:35 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 06:24:18 AM »

TOD:

Hashimoto

The Wacky Races

The Flintstones

Yogi Bear

Charlie Brown Christmas

The Grinch that Stole Christmas

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 06:24:43 AM »

I still have MONK on the DVR and also THE FOUR FEATHERS which I recorded last Friday morning. I'd like to watch something from the unwatched shelf. Just SO many choices.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 06:35:11 AM »

I am not a fan of the Rankin-Bass non-stop-motion animated cartoons such as FROSTY THE SNOMAN and THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS.  I always thought them badly done and childish.   But a lot of people love them and they've attained classic status over the years.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »

I thought FROSTY was traditional animation, but RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER and SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN were the stop-motion types that are so popular.

I was a teenager when they came out, so they seemed very juvenile to me, and I never cottoned to them. My best friend John ADORES them. He grow up seeing them.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 06:51:10 AM »

Now I must head downstairs to see if the UPS man slipped past me and left a package. Then, I'll do some chores and start getting ready for lunch out today.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:02 AM »

Because one of the titles I'm reviewing, GHOST SHIP, begins with a nice rendition of "Senza Fine," (sung by Monica Mancini), I pulled out one of my two-fer CDs of The Brass Ring which of course had a pretty sizable hit with that tune when it was interpolated into The Flight of the Phoenix.  Good lord, these are some of the most hysterical arrangements ever in 60's instrumental pop.  I was literally LOL-ing as I listened all morning.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 07:32:41 AM »

OMG--The Brass Ring is now doing Guantanamera, with a Desiderata-esque voiceover.  How could I have forgotten how cheesy these were?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »

No sax please, we're British.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »

TOD:

Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Gerald McBoing Boing
Tom Terrific
Anything by Warner Brothers
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 07:57:41 AM »

Dot and her brothers.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »

I guess I forget what MR BK said about MODEL SHOP.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »

After seeing Richard off to teach Bible study and Rob off to attend classes at UC, I did something I have not done since retiring - went back to bed for an hour or so.  The jury's still out on whether or not it helped...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »

HUMONGOUS storm moved into the Bay Area overnight...it's remnants of the typhoon that devastated the Philippines a week or so back, but those remnants picked up strength. 

Estimates are we could have 3-5 inches dumped on us "today".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Laura

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »

Wow. That's almost a year's worth of rain for us!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

CRY FOR US ALL landed in my mailbox today!

Ben

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:54 AM »

Perhaps I will get mine today. I had it sent to the home environment and our mail schedule has changed so I won't know until 4pm when I get home from work. We used to get mail between 11:45 and 1pm but now it doesn't come until after 3pm

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »

Possible SPOILAGE re: "Heroes"

I'm not quite certain what to make of recent developments but am cautiously optimistic that the writers have found their way again after two rather lackluster seasons since the first incredible one.

My favorite character has always been Peter Petrelli (Milo Ventimiglia).  Peter is the ultimate anti-hero "hero"...always relishing the abilities he acquires and inclined toward using them to help others rather than to acquire power over others.

This season, Peter is working as a paramedic.  He's always first on the scene, always saving folks, and has started getting negative feedback from his co-workers who are suspicious as to how he manages to get there first and save the day.  Is Peter "causing" these accidents?  Happily, the writers only broached this in one episode and have now intoduced a new character (Emma) who is deaf, but who sees colors in waves when she encounters "sounds".  She is so attuned to the colors that she is capable of creating beautiful music of her own.   The encounter between Peter and Emma was interesting and not at all "rote" the way many can be in TV series.  Peter's ability to absorb powers he encounters provides the link he needed to get her attention.  I am looking forward, wtih relish, to see where the writers can take this development. (It was great to see Louise Fletcher, as Emma's mom).

Our friend Silar has recovered his form.  Last season, Silar killed Nathan Petrelli (Adrian Pasdar) while he was in the shape of Nathan (Silar has the ability to shape-shift, among many incredible powers).  In a turn of events, a character played by Swoosie Kurtz had Nathan killed last week, and the killer also buried the body.  Silar, of course, cannot BE killed...and he was healed.  But...when he clawed his way out of his grave he had reverted back to the shape of Silar...and with absolutely no knowldege of who he is.

By the end of the episode, Silar had been identified by the police as Gabriel and they were going to arrest him for the murder of his mother.  Silar recalls nothing of this murder of his mother (he's guilty, of course).  He escaped and found his way to the circus where the new characters introduced in the season' opener are living.  This circus seems to be something along the lines of the one in "Something Wicked This Way Comes" because the police were hot on Silar's trail when he found the circus, and the leader of the folks who run it.  The police could not see the circus, but Silar was taken in...and has found a new family.

The episode, happily, had only a brief moment with Hiro, who teleported in to Peter's apartment building.  Peter put him in the hospital after Hiro collapsed. 

I was quite pleased with the episode...moreso than I've been in a long time with any episode of this show.

Also of interest is Claire who is now in college and has an unusual roommate.  Last night, we learned that the circus folks have someone in the college who is doing all she can to bring Claire into the circus folks' fold.  Murder was involved.  Meanwhile, Claire's roomie has a "crush" on Claire and planted a big old kiss on her lips last night.  We do not yet know how Claire felt about that.

End SPOILAGE.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:56:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 08:47:22 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice to get an actual night's sleep last night.  -The quick trip down to Richmond this past weekend - and the two bus trips - really did a number on my system.  It was nice to wake up "rested" this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »

TOD:  I was always fond of Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear, primarily because of "other" characters on their shows.  On Huckleberry Hound, I was a sucker for Yakky Doodle.  And on Yogi Bear, I looked forward to all the SnagglePuss cartoons.

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was also a favorite.  Love those Fractured Fairy Tales.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »

DR elmore - I hope you have a very amicable meeting with the rep from the NYCGMC.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »

DR elmore - I hope you have a very amicable meeting with the rep from the NYCGMC.

Moi aussi!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »

Let us hope everyone has amicable meetings with all whom they encounter today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »

There was also A CHRISTMAS CAROL shown for a few years during the 70's that was beautifully animated:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8817517652455175582#

I wish this was available on DVD.

OH!  I love that version too!  Channel 20 in Washington, DC, would include it in their yearly rotation of various versions of "A Christmas Carol".  I also remember watching it in grade school.  -In the "cafetorium", of course.

*As for it being on DVD - I have a vague memory of it being bundled with some other Christmas cartoons a few years ago.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »

TOD:

Rocky and Bullwinkle
Gerald McBoing Boing
Tom Terrific

Yes!  MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL!  Even with it's threadbare animation, this show has more heart than most other tellings of the story.  And what a great little score!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

There was also A CHRISTMAS CAROL shown for a few years during the 70's that was beautifully animated:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8817517652455175582#

I wish this was available on DVD.

OH!  I love that version too!  Channel 20 in Washington, DC, would include it in their yearly rotation of various versions of "A Christmas Carol".  I also remember watching it in grade school.  -In the "cafetorium", of course.

*As for it being on DVD - I have a vague memory of it being bundled with some other Christmas cartoons a few years ago.  ???

I heard about that two years ago, and it prompted me to purchase two or three CHRISTMAS CAROL dvds in hopes that I might find it.  Alas, all I've come across are lackluster versions that would bore anyone to sleep.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:18 AM »

The real treat is Christopher Fitzgerald (a good Irish boy) as Og, the leprechaun. Larry, you're right about his legs! Oh, my.

I still remember playing a callback for Christopher a few years ago.  The role he was auditioning for required the actor to be topless/shirtless for a good portion of the show.  Well... The final part of the audition was a "body check" (for tattoos, piercings, scars, etc.) - the production team just needed the actors to take off their shirt.  Well... After being asked if he wouldn't mind taking his shirt off... Well... The next thing we knew, he was standing there in front of the production team in just his boxers... Well... They really only needed to see his torso, but... Well... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 09:10:25 AM »

No one complained, I'm guessing.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »

TOD:

Rocky and Bullwinkle
Gerald McBoing Boing
Tom Terrific

Yes!  MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL!  Even with it's threadbare animation, this show has more heart than most other tellings of the story.  And what a great little score!

And I'm another fan of "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol".  It was the centerpiece of the family Christmas celebrations at the Coast Guard Academy. -And I've always been shocked and bewildered at some of the people who "HATE" this version.  It's a cartoon.  It's Mr. Magoo.  It's not going to ruin your life.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up