Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITTLE BIT OF HEAVEN  (Read 12809 times)

FJL

Re: A LITTLE BIT OF HEAVEN
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »

And one for mylar

( a balloon boy reference)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

Speaking of heaven, I want you to check out these two videos - the first is the American Dance Machine doing the original Joe Layton choreography for a number called Popularity from George M.  The lead dancer is Wayne Cilento, but it was originally danced by my pal Gene Castle, and I am here to tell you that Gene's performance of this number was one of the single greatest things I've ever seen on the stage.  Wayne is fine, but Gene was genius.  And I ask you, is there any choreographer working today that can stage a dance number like this?  I'll save you the trouble of answering: No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gIAiYTr-k

Gene CastleWasn't he married to Irene?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »

X-RATED 'HO WHITE' AND 7 DWARVES BEER AD REPORTEDLY RILES DISNEY

A beer advertisement featuring Snow White blowing smoke rings while lying in bed with seven semi-naked dwarves has reportedly left Disney fuming.

The raunchy Jamieson's Raspberry Ale ad renamed the fairytale cartoon heroine "Ho White."

Loveable Disney dwarves, like Sleepy, Happy and Doc, were replaced with Filthy, Smarmy and Randy to portray different types of drinkers.

Has Fred been contacted to provide suitable lyrics?

der Brucer

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:56:28 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »

To glom onto the Roundabout being so much in the news this weekend, I rushed out a basically-audio-only (and lyrics onscreen) "preview" of the parody of "King of Wishful Thinking" about the Roundabout's Carrie Fisher show WISHFUL DRINKING. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4STdq9KtU   

Since the real song is from the real film PRETTY WOMAN and sung by GO WEST, the parody song is naturally from the hypothetical parody film WITTY WOMAN (it's Carrie Fisher, after all) and sung by GO JEST.

Very funny.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »

My sister emailed. They told her she'd get a second round with the H1N1 and that she wasn't over it yet. She said it is AWFUL.  She's really sick this time and told everyone to get their shots, this is hell

Vibes to your sister, Cilla!
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEIGHBORS THOUGHT DEAD MAN WAS HALLOWEEN DISPLAY

LOS ANGELES
—  Residents of a Southern California apartment complex say they saw a lifeless body slumped on a neighbor's patio, but didn't call police because they thought it was part of a Halloween display.

Mostafa Mahmoud Zayed had apparently been dead since Monday.

Cameraman Austin Raishbrook, owner of RMG News, told the Los Angeles Times he was at the scene in Marina del Rey Thursday when authorities arrived. The 75-year-old Zayed was slumped over a chair on the third-floor balcony of his apartment with a single gunshot wound to the eye.

A Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department investigator says the case is an "apparent suicide."

Sounds like a BONES episode to me.

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »

It seems now that the UFO HUNTERS episode that may or may not feature my sister will be broadcast at 11 p.m. on October 29.....subject to change by the History Channel of course.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »

The title is DARK PRESENCE so who knows what time it will be on in the various time zones.....

FJL

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:33 AM »

Thanks, TCB!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Errands done. Almost. Alas, no haircut. I stopped by my usual barbershop, and as I peered into the door and saw all the "waiting chairs" filled, my regular barber turned to me and said, "One hour".  Nod.  So, then I headed down the block to my "sometimes" barber.  All the waiting chairs were filled there too.  And then I checked out the barber two doors down from them... Same story.  I guess if you can't be out and about on a gray, gloomy, chilly day, you might as well spiff yourself up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »

Must be the full moon tonight making everyone want to de-hairify.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:27 AM »

I might also like to have been in the studio when they were trying to lay down some Patty Duke tracks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

In other news...

I just took another batch of CDs down to Academy Records to see what they would give me for them.  Most of the batch consisted of older Columbia/Sony titles that have been re-issued and/or re-mastered over the past couple of years.  When I placed the pile on the table, I told the guy that I wasn't expecting to get much for some of them since they've been re-issued, but, lo and behold... $95 later... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

It is a warm and rainy Saturday in Tacoma.  Very wet, but temperatures in the sixties.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

bk - Which Philadelphia/Ormandy titles have you been looking for?  I think you had mentioned Holst and/or Smetana.  The Classical buyer at Academy mentioned that he was in the middle of processing some new import sets, and he says there were a couple of Ormandy re-issues in the batch.  So... Titles, please.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »

Must be the full moon tonight making everyone want to de-hairify.

Some of us floss in anticipation.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2009, 11:52:36 AM »

The pictures from the Curtain Call and the BBB party look like everyone was having a lot of fun.  And Gina Gershon is certainly beautiful!

I hope Conrad had on his stage makeup at the party - because there was a lot of it on his face!

Two friends of mine to the opening night party of BBB.  Funnily enough, both of them - independent of each other - had the same comment about the party:

"I felt like I was at a Bar Mitzvah."

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »

Oh... Speaking of BBB...

DR Matthew - Nolan Gerard Funk - a.k.a. Conrad Birdie - is actually 23-years old.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »

OOHH!!!!.... One more BBB observation...

I just realized that one of the cast members of the revival of BBB came into the restaurant that I was dining at the other night.  I guess she (and her family) came in after the party/Bar Mitzvah. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »

DR JRand - I guess "optimistic" is one way to put it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Anything by Florence Foster Jenkins or Mrs. Miller.

Otherwise.... Hmmm...

Elly Ameling doing the "duet" parts for the Complete Fauré Songs.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

I feel very sorry for everyone involved with the revival of BY BYE BIRDIE, from the producers, the cast, the crew, the musicians, and everyone else.  No one goes into a production, especially a revival, expecting to be in a flop.  I feel especially sorry for the young people in their first or second Broadway show.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

TOD

For the fun of it: The recording session where Jason Graae was in his undies.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »

Recordings that I was there for:
IT'S BETTER WITH A BAND - Barbara Cook

I was there also! I had moved to New York 2 weeks prior and was staying with my friend, Stephen down on 14th Street and 9th Avenue. He worked for Arthur Cantor (the producer of the concert) so I was walked into Carnegie Hall. What a night. We went to the party afterwards. It was on Central Park South. To a gay boy from the Midwest being in NY for 2 weeks it was heaven. Stephen and I took a cab downtown after the party and we were both on Cloud 9. It was the best introduction to life in New York that I ever could have had. 29 years later I'm still here (as someone wrote in a song IIRC).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »

I feel very sorry for everyone involved with the revival of BY BYE BIRDIE, from the producers, the cast, the crew, the musicians, and everyone else.  No one goes into a production, especially a revival, expecting to be in a flop.  I feel especially sorry for the young people in their first or second Broadway show.

Alas, been there, done that. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »

RE: BYE BYE BIRDIE

Caught up on the reviews. WOW!!

I think I know understand why Gina Gershon wanted the Shriner's Ballet out; she couldn't dance it or any of the other musical numbers.

The post mortem will look whose to blame.

I saw the Tommy Tune revival when it was touring around and I thought it was a wonderful production. A very young Susan Egan was Kim.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

Well... Once again, time for me to get ready to make the trip down South.  Thankfully, it looks like the weather this afternoon will not be as bad as originally forecast.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »

Recordings that I was there for:
IT'S BETTER WITH A BAND - Barbara Cook
I was there also! I had moved to New York 2 weeks prior and was staying with my friend, Stephen down on 14th Street and 9th Avenue. He worked for Arthur Cantor (the producer of the concert) so I was walked into Carnegie Hall. What a night. We went to the party afterwards. It was on Central Park South. To a gay boy from the Midwest being in NY for 2 weeks it was heaven. Stephen and I took a cab downtown after the party and we were both on Cloud 9. It was the best introduction to life in New York that I ever could have had. 29 years later I'm still here (as someone wrote in a song IIRC).

You're gay??!!!   ;D
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »

In other news...

I just took another batch of CDs down to Academy Records to see what they would give me for them.  Most of the batch consisted of older Columbia/Sony titles that have been re-issued and/or re-mastered over the past couple of years.  When I placed the pile on the table, I told the guy that I wasn't expecting to get much for some of them since they've been re-issued, but, lo and behold... $95 later... :)

We just missed each other. Anthony went to Dance Class and I walked up to Chelsea Studios with him. On my way home I stopped at Academy to browse. Nothing purchased but then we are running out of room anyway and Anthony has a stack of CDs to sell himself.

I then went to the grocery store and bought some milk. I came home and prepared the tuna casserole for tonight's dinner. I will put it in the oven while I listen to Beverley Humphreys and we will have a nice, comfort food dinner afterwards.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »

In other news...

We just missed each other. Anthony went to Dance Class and I walked up to Chelsea Studios with him. On my way home I stopped at Academy to browse. Nothing purchased but then we are running out of room anyway and Anthony has a stack of CDs to sell himself.

I then went to the grocery store and bought some milk. I came home and prepared the tuna casserole for tonight's dinner. I will put it in the oven while I listen to Beverley Humphreys and we will have a nice, comfort food dinner afterwards.

Oh yum, tuna casserole sounds like a wonderful idea for this rainy weekend.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up