Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MEN WITH LOUD MACHINES  (Read 37931 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:MEN WITH LOUD MACHINES
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 09:59:00 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy[/move] [move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]2nd page [/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]dance[/move]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 10:00:48 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2004, 10:13:23 AM »

Ummmm, this one is too easy:

California.

We didn't start making tsimmes 'til after you moved.
(How's that for payback for all those "It happened before you were born" stories??)

Please remember, DR/DB Jay, HHW is not the place for us to air all our dirty family laundry!  There are large, crowded public spaces made for that.

::)

Yes, well, may I remind you, DR/DB Stuart, that our Dear Mother now lives in the Golden State?  And that despite our DM's close proximity I remain bereft of tzimmes?  'Tis a schanda.  A schanda, I say!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2004, 10:28:48 AM »

Wow, what a great Topic of the Day to get the brain functioning on a Tuesday morning.

Movie – There are so many candidates for this honor, but BK said we could only name one.  So, I will bypass The Red Tent and The Big Bus, both of which I love, and go with Phantom of the Paradise.  Paul Williams will never be a great actor, and seeing his nude bed scenes might be more than some people can tolerate, but Brian De Palma’s whole quirky take on the PotO legend, complete with 70s rock ‘n roll score and dancing hippies, is just a delightful way to waste a couple of hours.  

Television – Definitely, a show that ran one season, ended with a cliff hanger, and never was and probably never will be, renewed or resolved should qualify as a guilty pleasure.  John Doe was yet another on Fox’s steadily increasing list of series that showed great promise, but was cancelled before they even had a chance to develop or to attract an audience.  Dominic Purcell, a former classmate of Hugh Jackman, who played the mysterious John Doe was a joy to behold.  It was interesting to watch a series that was obviously not shot in Seattle, but used constant place names and street names to make you almost believe you were really there.

Book – Without a doubt The Shipkiller by Justin Scott. I have probably read the book six or seven times, and I never get tired of it.  It is an incredible adventure yarn that is almost impossible to put down.  Years ago, when I first bought my copy, the cover said, “Soon to be a major motion picture.”  Unfortunately, that never came to pass.  I have lost my copy of the book, and Amazon.com now advertises used copies starting at around $75.00, so I doubt that I will ever own it again, but what a fantastic book.  Gee, what would happen if the library should loose their copy????

MusicalA Wonderful Life by Sheldon Harnick and Joe Raposo.  The book has some large holes in it, and there is no cast recordings available, but still this show is a delightful and it has a very sweet score that makes it a nice change from yet another production of Scrooge every Christmas.

Play -- … I’m thinking, I’m thinking.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »

Good afternoon!

Guilty pleasures...

Musical: Eating Raoul - It's just sooooo wrong in so many ways.  And soooo good!  "Hot Monkey Love" is one of my all-time favorite song titles!  And perfect casting of Adrian Zmed as Raoul - "He's got the tool for you!" - Well, it comes out more like, "He's got the tool for jew..."  -It's Passover, ain't it?

Movie: The only title that comes to mind right now is "The Competition".  -But I think it's a guilty pleasure for all pianists.  -And maybe even "Madame Sousatzka".  It's always "fun" watching how well - or not well - and actor/actress fakes the piano playing.

Book: Those series of Japanese books that started with "Everyone Poops," "The Gas We Pass," and the "The Holes in Your Nose".  Then went onto include such classics as "Breasts" and various other titles covering various other body parts and bodily functions.  And they're children's books to boot!

TV Show:  Well, "American Idol," but since it's a huge ratings hit...  So, I guess I'd have to say.... Hmm... I'll have to think about this one....

-And it seems like CBS Daytime is now home to some of the past stars of past nighttime "dramas"/soaps.  But I guess it always has.  At least Fernando Lamas still looks good - even with his shirt off!  :P  And Joan van Ark is now on "The Young and The Restless".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2004, 10:38:10 AM »

Oh, and Linda Gray too on "The Bold and The Beautiful"!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2004, 10:44:05 AM »

Hmm...guilty pleasures...

TV - I guess you could call Tru Calling my latest guilty pleasure...and probably my penchant for watching old Nick Toons...Rugrats in particular.  

Musicals - That's easy...Rent, The Last Five Years, and Phantom of the Opera

okay, I'm out of time...gotta get to choir...I'll finish this later :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2004, 10:44:57 AM »

Yes, well, may I remind you, DR/DB Stuart, that our Dear Mother now lives in the Golden State?  And that despite our DM's close proximity I remain bereft of tzimmes?  'Tis a schanda.  A schanda, I say!

Ah, the laundromat is open!

For DR's who may not be aware of this, DR Jay and I are actual real-life  brothers.  Our DM moved from Brooklyn to the Golden State approximately 10 years ago.  During that time, I believe she has turned on her oven perhaps twice.  Once was during my first visit to her new home.  That she cooked for me, but not for my dear older brother, made him irate, shall we say.

However, DR/DB Jay, please do not take a lack of tsimmes as another slight in our DM's culinary treats for you, for I believe it was I who instigated its being made in the first place, and I who basically ended up making it, most of the time.    Or at least lending MORE than just a helping hand.

Also remember that I made the chopped liver and many other Passover delights in the old days (....and the old-fashioned way, too, with a wood chopping bowl and a hockmesser.....perhaps that's why I can't stand the stuff now!).  

So, if you are having a hankering for tsimmes, you can always do waht you did last year, and call me from Von's or wherever.

But if you think I am sending you the ol' Passover recipe file, you've got another things coming!

Emily

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2004, 11:20:16 AM »

Woohoo!

I just bought tickets for the Canadian premiere production of The Last Five Years (one of DR Ann's guilty pleasures I see :) ) at Canstage in Toronto!

Road trip with the gals and CYGOPP May 8 and 9th!!! :D

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2004, 11:38:55 AM »

I seem to have caused a tzimmes rift between two loving brothers. Shame on me.  :'(  
Now Jay and Stuart, you just shake hands and stop fighting. Your DM loves you both EQUALLY, I'm quite sure. It's cooking she no longer loves.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 11:39:41 AM by Panni »

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2004, 11:42:39 AM »

TOD by TD:

BOOK(S):  THE LOVE MACHINE makes it for me, far trashier than VALLEY OF THE DOLLS; I used to read quite a lot of Harold Robbins, and THE ADVENTURERES sticks in my mind, I don't suppose that Arthur Hailey could fit in here, too, could he?

MOVIE(S):  AT LONG LAST LOVE, followed closely by MYRA BRECKENRIDGE - I just can't get enough of MYRA now that it's on dvd.  DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?  anything with Seann William Scott, moreso than Ashton Kuchner, though both rely less on skill than on charm.  MONKEYBONE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2004, 11:45:27 AM »

TOD by TD:

[MOVIE(S):  AT LONG LAST LOVE, followed closely by MYRA BRECKENRIDGE - I just can't get enough of MYRA now that it's on dvd.  DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?  anything with Seann William Scott, moreso than Ashton Kuchner, though both rely less on skill than on charm.  MONKEYBONE.

You know, I have always been sort of curious about MONKEYBONE! Is it any good? Doesn't it have Brendan Fraser? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2004, 11:45:42 AM »

It's cooking she no longer loves.

Truth be told, DR Panni, I don't think she ever did love it.  I think it was an obligation.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2004, 11:59:46 AM »

Now this is what I call "plotzing"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2004, 12:06:05 PM »

You know, I have always been sort of curious about MONKEYBONE! Is it any good? Doesn't it have Brendan Fraser? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Yep, it's the one with Brendan. . .essentially doing a Jeckyll & Hyde.  It's not great, but, eccentric.  From the same director as NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »

Books: As mentioned by others, Valley of the Dolls

TV: Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius and Fairly Odd Parents, both on Nickelodeon (I know we were only supposed to choose one but I didn't, so there)

Movie: The Boys in the Band

Musical: The Me Nobody Knows

Play: The Bad Seed
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 12:14:01 PM by Ben »

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2004, 12:13:23 PM »

Well, Panni's seder sounds far more amusing than mine.  Actually, BK's seder sounds more amusing than mine!  My sister, the only religious person in my family, didn't come home for Pesach this year, so we didn't bother doing the "service" part of the seder.  I spent most of the evening thinking about various quotes from Tony Kushner's "Notes On Akiba" and wanting to nice dinner roll.

As usual, the brisket made me sick so I had to skip most of the seder.  ::)

The highlight of the evening occured as my mother was serving the gefilte fish.
Me: What is it, fish?
(Long pause.)
Mom: What else would it be?

So, onto the guilty pleasures!

Movie – "Spice World".  As a child of the '90s, there is truly nothing like it.

Television – "Days Of Our Lives".

Book – The Georgia Nicholson book series.  I would say the title of the first installation, but I am too ashamed.  :-[

Musical – "Fame"

Play - "For Whom The Southern Belle Tolls"
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2004, 12:17:29 PM »

You brothers are so entertaining.  I'm loving this. :)

Ben

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2004, 12:18:05 PM »

Jenny, could you be talking about

"Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging"?

Never heard of the author so I googled her and came up with this title. Sounds on track to me :-)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2004, 12:24:02 PM »

Jenny, could you be talking about

"Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging"?

:-[ :-[ :-[
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »

Such wonderful choices.

VOTD book and movie to be sure, and BUDDIES, the books, and MXC, how could I forget my favorite NEW television show.

I am watching a guilty pleasure right now... MIDNIGHT LACE with Miss Doris Day in peril!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2004, 12:29:12 PM »

There are men with loud machines all around me today. Across the street they are cutting down palm trees. Next door -- I'm not sure, but  I think they are digging up a swimming pool.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2004, 12:32:33 PM »

BK, I am also a fan of BABY, THE RAIN MUST FALL...discovered mainly through the great song of the same title sung by Glenn Yarborough.  It's a nice simple film.  One of those films that couldn't get made today because someone would look at it and say, "Nothing happens in it", when, of course, all kinds of things are happening.

GUILTY PLEASURES:  

I actually mentioned my guilty pleasure film last week, TAPEHEADS starring John Cusak & Tim Robbins, along with Jessica Walters, Mary Crosby, Clu Gulager, Doug McClure, Connie Stevens, and Susan Tyrrell...surreally silly with a great R & B song called ANY ORDINARY MAN WOULD HAVE GIVEN IT UP BY NOW sung by Sam Moore of Sam & Dave and Junior Walker of Junior Walker and the All-stars, playing a singing duo called The Swanky Modes.

So, since I mentioned this a week ago, I'm picking a new one:

THE FOUNTAINHEAD...Even the director King Vidor disses this film.  It's based on Ayn Rand's novel, adapted by her, whole chunks of dialogue from the book are uplifted...not so much dialogue as dogma, doctrine, and philosophy masquerading as dialogue.  It's all very florid and over-the-top with great scenery- chewing performances by Patricia Neal, Raymond Massey, Robert Douglas, and even Gary Cooper gets in his licks.  In fact, I was asked King Vidor about this film and he felt that Cooper was miscast...he always felt Howard Roarke, the uncompromising architect, should have been played by someone like Bogie.  He was wrong.  There was no one who represented uncorruptible integrity better than Cary Cooper.  I love this film!  I had an agent who used to refer to me as the Howard Roarke of screenwriters.  Not true, but flattering, nonetheless.

My guilty pleasure play would be:

MOVE OVER, MRS. MARKHAM, a silly British sex farce by Ray Cooney and John Chapman.  I did it in dinner theatre years ago with Cyd Charisse and a wonderful Aussie farceur, called Peter Pagan (maybe Tomovoz remembers him.  He made is mark in a movie called The Overlanders).  The sucker just rips along like a house afire.  

TV guilty pleasure:  MEN BEHAVING BADLY (called BRITISH MEN BEHAVING BADLY on BBC over here).  Not to be confused with the bad American version that played on network over here.  This is the original British series...rude, raunchy, raucous, and fall down funny.

Guilty-pleasure Musical:  KEAN. Not a success, but Ilove the music, the story and theme, the love the lead performer: the great Alfred Drake.

Gulity-pleasure Books:  The Jules DeGrandin stories by Seabury Quinn.  They are about a French occult detective, Jules De Grandin, and his cohort and companion, Dr. Trowbridge.  Sort of a supernatural Holmes and Watson. All their cases take place in a New Jersey town which, given the incidences of supernatural occurence, must be the most haunted city in the world.  They originally appeared in Weird Tales magazine and were very popular. Popular Library published a bunch of the stories in 6 paperbacks, back in the 70's.  They're hoary little tales, but great fun.

td

• td
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »

MOVE OVER, MRS. MARKHAM, a silly British sex farce by Ray Cooney and John Chapman.  I did it in dinner theatre years ago with Cyd Charisse and a wonderful Aussie farceur, called Peter Pagan (maybe Tomovoz remembers him.  He made is mark in a movie called The Overlanders).  The sucker just rips along like a house afire.  

Hey!  I did that play, too!
I also directed NO SEX PLEASE, WE'RE BRITISH - - and that is a truly guilty pleasure!

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2004, 12:38:21 PM »

DR Jenny: I'm so sorry the brisket made you sick.  Do you know why? :(

I have so many tv guilty pleasures. But I suppose the biggest (and the one I could not live without is Y&R).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2004, 01:07:22 PM »

DR Jose, I'm sure you mean Lorenzo Lamas. His handsome father Fernando is no longer with us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2004, 01:08:59 PM »

THE LOVE MACHINE is a perfect choice, once again as a guilty pleasure book AND film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2004, 01:16:03 PM »

Hey!  I did that play, too!
I also directed NO SEX PLEASE, WE'RE BRITISH - - and that is a truly guilty pleasure!

I saw a matinee performance of No Sex Please, back in the mid-80s.  By this time, the cast was apparently so bored with the show that they walked all-over their own and each others' punch lines.  No one in the barely half-a-house was laughing and the longer we went without laughing, the more angry the cast members became.  By the time we reached the end of the play, both sides were so fed up with each other, that is wasn't so much a curtain call, as a truce.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2004, 01:23:26 PM »

We need more posts!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2004, 01:24:17 PM »

Another Guilty Pleasure Film:

"Barbarella" -- Jane Fonda and John Phillip Law as the Angel.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 01:32:32 PM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2004, 01:33:26 PM »

These are such great postings - nothing like them on all the Internet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up