Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT  (Read 16151 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2009, 03:42:57 PM »

Sorry to hear your story DR Julie. That sounds terrible~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura

« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »

I hope your day gets better, Julie.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jennifer

« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »

I thought i would try to go for a bike ride today, since i no longer have a
cough or runny nose.

Unfortunately I think if i had tried i would have fallen off.  My whole body is tired and i can hardly walk.  Apparently this is the last phase of my cold. Thank goodness.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Oy and vey - what a day this has been, what a rare mood I'm in and not a good one.  Despite being told yesterday that we'd be approved within forty-eight hours, I got an e-mail this morning saying there were still major issues to be resolved.  I then had a half-hour phone conversation about them - a lot of information coming at me, much of it technical - but nothing to do with the liner notes or anything like that - I think we're fine there.  There are some additional credits to add, they wanted the names of the session musicians for both scores (it's an AFM requirement - but they've now come off it and we can put that on our website - I talked to the AFM and all is well on that front - whew!).  But they asked me to go back to using the original cue titles from the cue sheets - which they'd never sent me.  Now I have them, but I don't like the cue titles and we're trying to come to some agreement about using mine - it requires me to do a lot of paperwork so that they know which cue title on ours responds to which cue title on their cue sheet - not sure how it will all play out, but the worst case scenario is will use the originals - they're boring, but, you know, we'll do what we have to do.  They understand they're throwing all this at me very last minute and the guy I'm dealing with is really terrific.  I won't know the outcome until tomorrow.  There is a song from each film on this CD and we have to credit the lyricist of each even though we don't actually use a vocal version of either song.  Then they additionally may want us to asterisk each track where the song's tune appears - that's a lot of asterisks (I think they want it so it's easier to pay mechanicals) - they have that info on the cue sheets, so I'm hoping just adding the lyricists credit will suffice.  If not, you'll see a lot of *******s on the tracks.  They also asked for track timings - I don't like them and have not done them on our CDs, but I agreed to do them, since it's easy.  I then spent ninety minutes on the phone with my mastering guy trying to make sense of the cue sheets and we got it so that I could at least create a documentation of what comes from where on our CD - in one case it was pretty simple, but in the other some of the score was not used, some was truncated, and they re-used cues like crazy.  Of course, on our CD we present the music as it was recorded, so it's very difficult to correlate it to the cue sheet.  We'll see how my documentation works for them - I'm really hoping it does and that we can keep our track titles.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »

I also just had a long telephonic conversation, but mine was quite wonderful.  I had been searching for my calendar in order to call Dave Frishberg about his gig which I'm hosting this Saturday when lo and behold, Dave called me.  He is such a great, easygoing guy and of course he's wonderfully funny.  We had a scintillating conversation if I do say so myself.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »

This must be the night for phone calls! I had one, too!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »

I have spent every single hour of this day dealing with these problems and I'm all in.  I've just announced the new Kritzerland title and must now post that everywhere.

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

DR Cillaliz i think tonight's DANCING WITH THE STARS elimination should be interesting.

IMO any one of the 4 could go. Mya is clearly the best. And I believe Derek is the most popular professional dancer. Donny Osmond and Kelly Osbourne are probably more popular than joanna and mya.

I felt so bad for donny (he had a horrible first dance and got caught in kym's dress hem).

I actually hope it is kelly who goes tonight, even though she did better than donny last night. I think overall he is stronger than she is.

I'm cheering for both Donny and Kelly. If it's between the two, I'd rather see Donny go home (sorry DR Laura).  Marie predicted Joanna - her story last night was pretty compelling, but she's just not as known.  It will be interesting.  I know Joanna and Mya are better dancers, but it really is a popularity contest ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

Three southern belles on MILLIONAIRE - question....which playwright worked in the 1930's at a Missouri shoe company with a man named Stanley Kowalski.

They thought it must be Arthur Miller.....but their phone a friend at least knew it was Tennessee Williams.  Even then they used their double dip....at least they finally tried Williams.

What kind of TEST do they give these people? 

It isn't like they reallyw ant to give away the million dollars

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »

VIBES TO ALL WHO NEED THEM~~~~~~~~~~~

DAW

« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2009, 05:58:40 PM »

~~~WORKING-IT-OUT VIBES~~~
FOR BK, DR JMK, AND ANY VARIOUS & SUNDRIED DR WHO NEEDS 'EM!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »

DR JRand59 - it was the standard Episcopal scent.  I have no idea what it's called.    "Smokey Mary."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

LOL....I love 3 Kings or a combination of Frank & Myrrh.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

Title and *** vibes for MR BK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »

I have used the Mob Name Generator and henceforth will be known as Jack "The Waterboy" Earles.

http://pages.prodigy.net/mlemus/mobnamegenerator.htm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:14:11 PM by JRand59 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »

I have received no telephonic calls.  But I did watch GONE WITH THE WIND on Blu Ray.  It is a most enjoyable movie with some terrific performances - and everything looked and sounded great.  If you love the movie, I think an upgrade is in order.  I have the special edition DVD - but this looks better.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »

I have used the Mob Name Generator and henceforth will be known as Jack "The Waterboy" Earles.

I'm "The Stare"...whatever that means.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »

Why yes, I *do* occasionally break into random accents!!!!     :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »

I looked at a little of Gone With The Wind.  I've actually never liked the film - as a kid and as an adult.  For me, what I've seen of the transfer is disappointing, especially when compared with the superb Wizard of Oz.  I'm reading comments saying how right this look is for a Technicolor film of 1939, but how can people say that and then turn around and say that the Wizard looks right - the Wizard has perfect color, this is just infused with too much yellow.  I'm not talking about a huge amount but enough to throw everything off a little.  And I was surprised not to find it a bit sharper.  Galaxy Quest, which I'm watching now, is also not as sharp as other Blu-Rays I've been watching lately.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2009, 07:05:48 PM »

My head is still spinning from the onslaught regarding this release.  It has continued, and now there's more stuff that they need to check and it's just madness - they're still saying I can announce on time, so I presume that means they know that they have two weeks to put this to bed.

DAW

« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

bk - to save yourself some agita, maybe you shouldn't announce until the process is closer to being completed.  Especially this first time with the new company.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

One woman especially keeps finding new things to fret over - I finally e-mailed her personally saying that I'm doing my best with all this stuff being thrown at us at the eleventh hour and that I wished it had all been layed out months ago.  She responded snippily asking why we didn't request all these logs and cue sheets months ago, and I responded nicely but firmly that I have NEVER had to do this sort of thing with any other studio.  This is all new territory, and unfortunately, it's new territory for them and they're making it up as they go.  With MGM, I license, I pay, they give me the tapes, I put the CD together however I see fit, they don't even hear the CD, they approve the booklet in hours and I ship it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »

bk - to save yourself some agita, maybe you shouldn't announce until the process is closer to being completed.  Especially this first time with the new company.

The fact is, I'm not announcing until the first week of December - but I want them to think it's end of November so that they will keep moving in a timely manner.

Julie

« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:53 PM »

Ha Ha.  Mine is Fancy Pants.    :-\

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2009, 07:17:12 PM »

The fact is, I'm not announcing until the first week of December - but I want them to think it's end of November so that they will keep moving in a timely manner.

Good idea.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »

VIBES TO EVERYONE WHO NEEDS THEM. :)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »

Night all.

Listening to Cops and Robbers.

Then going to watch Jailhouse Rock.

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »

Has anybody beside me had problems with Amazon's "Free Shipping" during the past few months?

They used to ship strictly via USPS, and once the item left the warehouse I got it within 3 days.

Now, they're using a method called FedEx Smart Post, and it's taking an average of 10-14 days for the packages to get to me...and, on two occasions, they got lost because the FedEx scan had problems being recognized by the USPS scanner.

Very irritating.

No! It must have something to do with the area of the country where you're living. My free shipping from Amazon still coms via USPS and still takes about the same number of days as always. I've noticed no change either positively or negatively.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2009, 07:34:51 PM »

I have received no telephonic calls.  But I did watch GONE WITH THE WIND on Blu Ray.  It is a most enjoyable movie with some terrific performances - and everything looked and sounded great.  If you love the movie, I think an upgrade is in order.  I have the special edition DVD - but this looks better.

I really hadn't planned on upgrading. I love the movie, but it's so long that I rarely watch it, and I feel like I've bought it enough.

However, I did read that the 1-disc Target edition will be $12.99 on Black Friday, so I may change my mind by then.

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »

I spent the majority of my evening watching the two remaining items in THE GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION: THE COMEDIAN and DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES.

Sadly, they're both in pretty rough shape (surprising since they're the two most recently made. NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS looked much better.)

Still very enjoyable, and there's a very good John Frankenheimer commentary with THE COMEDIAN and complete interview segments with him for both THE COMEDIAN and DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up