Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'LL THINK ABOUT IT TOMORROW  (Read 12871 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: I'LL THINK ABOUT IT TOMORROW
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 06:34:47 AM »

It must be an epidemic, DR MATTH.  Last night I couldn't get any sound from the Blu Ray player.  Still not sure what the problem is.  I didn't change any settings and the connections are all fine.

I will have to check it out later. 

Sounds very strange. But be sure to check the HDMI cable (or whatever cable you're using for audio. Sometimes a short develops and the cable has to be replaced. One of John's cables last night had a short. Once we switched that out, the connection was completely stable.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2009, 06:36:21 AM »

Good morning!

Much chillier this morning (in the upper 30s), but still a gorgeous morning, our last for a few days. We're supposed tp have rain for at least two days starting tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »

My first exposure to GWTW was that 70mm blow-up widescreen version that was released and was a big hit in the mid-1960s. I remember my mom going to see it earlier in the decade when the legitimate version was re-released, but I didn't go to it then. I finally saw the Academy ratio version in a revival house in the early 1980s.

I owned the movie on VHS, laserdisc, and DVD. I have not yet sprung for the Blu-ray version. I rather liked the last DVD release.

I always loved the movie. The best movie ever made? Hardly. The second half is one climax after another (books on GWTW agree that there really was no acceptable script for the second half, and they were just shooting scenes cranked out by Selznick and whatever writer he had with him working alongside him and whichever director was working on it at the time.)

But it's lovely to watch, the performances are just wonderful (I agree that Leslie Howard is too old and the definite weak link as Ashley, but then again, he didn't want to be in it at all), and I do get caught up in the melodrama of it all. Hard not to cry when Melanie dies. (Yep, no spoiler provided.)

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 06:44:27 AM »

I am SO looking forward to my day off. I want to watch a couple of SUPERNATURAL episodes from the fourth season Blu-ray, and I'll watch this week's episode while I eat lunch today.

I will watch STAR TREK (the movie just out this week on Blu-ray) tonight.

I also recorded WANTED, an action movie from last year with a starry cast, from HBO-HD last night. I hope to get it watched tonight, too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »

Good morning, all! The laundry is in the dryers and the floors are mopped or vacuumed. Then it's back to the Sharkfighters. I had accepted an invitation to today's Encores luncheon with memebers of Castrecl but after being out most of the day yesterday, I'm am coughing a lot and my voice is hoarse and raspy. So, i'm staying close to home. I have plenty of work.

I grew up hearing of the wonders of GWTW because it was the favorite movie and book of my mother and her 4 sisters. At some time around 1960, the film made a return engagement and my mother and my brother Tom went to see it. I have a memory I didn't go because i was being punished for something - probably making smartass remarks - and that proves some things never change.  So, while they were seeing the movie, I began the novel. By the time they returned, I was hooked and the book and I were constant companions for the next couple of days till i finished it. I'm quite fond of the movie, particularly Hattie McDaniel and Vivien Leigh, but I agree the only weak link is the wimpy, rather unattractive Leslie Howard, who if he were a woman would have never launched anything close to a thousand ships.

Perhaps a tugboat.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:05:19 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 07:04:04 AM »

Hard not to cry when Melanie dies. (Yep, no spoiler provided.)

LOL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »

I read the book when I was in the 10th grade (I think the summer before the tenth grade). That was the last summer I didn't have to work a part-time job in the summer, and I remember sitting in the backyard every day reading it (and other books) while I was getting a tan.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2009, 07:13:41 AM »

Now, I'm heading downstairs to start on some of those SUPERNATURAL episodes before starting lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's Michigan/OSU game day and I'll just be glad when this season is over.

As for GWTW, I got in trouble over the book when I took the SATs in high school.  I'd rush through each section of the test and then use the rest of the time to read.  The proctor came along and made me review my test instead of reading.  I still have my paperback copy - it was 95 cents when I bought it new in the mid-1960s.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »

The Arts series I organize and host made the front page of the Oregonian's features section today:

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2009/11/church_hopes_joy_in_the_arts_w.html
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

Great coverage of the arts series, DR JMK!  Sorry about the real estate deal, though.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »

A bit chilly here today - but it IS November after all.

I have always enjoyed GONE WITH THE WIND which I wrote about earlier this week.  I read the book when I was in the 8th grade - but the movie was not re released until about 3 years later.  I like everything except Leslie Howard as Ashley.

RE released???

Certainly. Surely you've heard/read that term before. When a film is returned to theaters for a second (or more in the case of things like Disney animated films or GWTW), it's called a re-release.

Actually, DR Matt, I was making a small attempt to make a joke about Jrand's age.  It was a small attempt, since I am actually a few days older than Jack.  And the first time I saw WIZARD OF OZ it was in a theater in 1956, as a re release.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:07 AM »

I don't like the film GWTW.  I sat through the entire film once, and with any luck, I will never have to watch it again.
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:55 AM »

I, too, have always liked GONE WITH THE WIND. 
I first saw it on one of its 1960s re-releases, and ever since that took every opportunity to see it again on a big screen with an attentive audience.
Something about GWTW always captures me, sweeping me into its stories and its characters.  It certainly is an example of fine film-making.
Scarlett O'Hara is definitely one of the first anti-heroines.  She is proud, vain, pampered, simpering and young when the film opens, but the circumstances of her life, the times around her and the loves of her life force her to grow up, mature and ripen into a fierce, independent woman before the final chords of Max Steiner's moving score.  I don't think we're actually supposed to LIKE Scarlett, though Vivien Leigh's performance makes it hard not to.
I don't mind Leslie Howard since he and Olivia DeHavilland make a perfect couple. The character of Ashley is much more of a symbol than of a human being,
No one could have been better than Clark Gable as Rhett.
This is the kind of film that could not be made in this day and age and be as successful.
Producer David O. Selznick's tight grip on the production brought out the best in the screenwriters, designers, cinematographer and the many directors.
That said, I did pick up the single blu-ray disc yesterday at Target, and watched the first half mesmerized last night.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »

The Arts series I organize and host made the front page of the Oregonian's features section today:

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2009/11/church_hopes_joy_in_the_arts_w.html

Very nice article JMK. And nice to see you posting on HHW again after such a long time away.

JMK

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »

Well in the "don't count your broken eggs until you've counted your chickens" department (that's a department I just made up, by the way):

OUR OFFER WAS ACCEPTED!!!  We were the top "bidder."  So now the problems really start.  Oy!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 08:14:29 AM »

Wow, DR JMK, talk about an emotional roller coaster!  Congratulations!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »

Can't wait for the housewarming! Can I help hire the pool man?

JMK

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »

Can't wait for the housewarming! Can I help hire the pool man?

Michael, I've already told you, you are the pool man.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »

TOD:

Wow, so many favorites...hmmm...but here are two favorites that come to mind.

Laurel and Hardy's THE MUSIC BOX

Our Gang's HELPING GRANDMA

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »

Well in the "don't count your broken eggs until you've counted your chickens" department (that's a department I just made up, by the way):

OUR OFFER WAS ACCEPTED!!!  We were the top "bidder."  So now the problems really start.  Oy!

POOL PARTY!
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

Oy, you should see the documentation that comes with the "acceptance."  With acceptance like this, I don't need rejection.  :)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 08:38:57 AM »

I first saw GWTW in the mid-1940s.

That must have been the first re-release.

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »

My all-time favorite movie is CASABLANCA, which I saw the first time in the early 1960s. 

It was in a revival house and, truthfully, I didn't like it.  [I'd heard so much about the picture and I think I was expecting more of an action movie.]

I saw it again on television a year or two later, and that's when I really began to appreciate its pleasures.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:38 AM »

I'm up, and must de-groggify so I can joggify, for she of the Evil Eye will be here shortly.

DAW

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »

DR JMK - I am thrilled for you and your family.      :D     And I hope that some day I shall see the house in person.         :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »

And I should have mentioned Hattie McDaniel, who is reason enough to see Gone With The Wind.

DAW

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2009, 08:46:52 AM »

Oh, and nice article, too, DR JMK.

DAW

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »

Inspector Clouseau has landed!

And now to get ready to go over the river and through the woods to celebrate an early Thanksgiving.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up