Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: POMPADOURS AND PAGEBOYS  (Read 13057 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: POMPADOURS AND PAGEBOYS
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

And here are the Disney plushes that were in one of the boxes.  They have magnets in their paws, so...  There's a "regular" set, as well as an "Animal Kingdom" set.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2009, 09:07:59 AM »

-And I guess that would make a...

PAGE FOUR DISNEY MAGNETIC PLUSH DANCE!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

*I still remember coming back to our hotel room - I think we were staying at the Coronado Springs Resort - and the housekeeping staff had "arranged" all of those plushes hanging from the ceiling fan. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

I LOVED Nine when I saw it on Broadway, both the original with Raul Julia, and the revival with Antonio Banderas. I wish that they had kept more of the original songs, and am not happy that they cut My Husband Makes Movies/Only With You, and The Bells Of St. Sebastian. They did cut those, right?

My Husband Makes Movies is definitely in - I don't know Only With You well enough, but I don't think it's there and Sebastian definitely isn't.  The cast, for the most part, is excellent.  The mixing up of real life and fantasy is part of the Fellini original. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »

One of the new songs, Cinema Italiano - I have no way of knowing, but I'd bet it was something they filmed in June at the last minute - it's so 80s and Madonna-esque and although the usual teens are drooling over the song itself, I thought it was pretty bad.  The fast editing occurs only in the musical numbers - I'd say it's not quite as frenetic as Chicago was but it probably is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  I suppose I'll go do my early errand in about ten minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »

My Criterion 8 1/2 arrived on Saturday.  I wanted to watch it last week when it was on TCM, but forgot it and missed the first 40 minutes, so of course, I couldn't get into it from that point.  I also received my Fritz Lang De Nebelung and his Indian Double Feature all of which I shall watch later tonight.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »

DR JOSE has quite a collection of stuff there. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »

DR JOSE has quite a collection of stuff there. 

And that's just from two of ### of boxes-o-stuff.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

I LOVED Nine when I saw it on Broadway, both the original with Raul Julia, and the revival with Antonio Banderas. I wish that they had kept more of the original songs, and am not happy that they cut My Husband Makes Movies/Only With You, and The Bells Of St. Sebastian. They did cut those, right?

My Husband Makes Movies is definitely in - I don't know Only With You well enough, but I don't think it's there and Sebastian definitely isn't.  The cast, for the most part, is excellent.  The mixing up of real life and fantasy is part of the Fellini original. 

This article from Playbill.com may or may not answer some questions - you can also click on the related articles in the sidebar.

Maury Yeston's Passion for Nine, on Screen and Stage
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »

RE:  Last night's THE AMAZIN' RACE

SPOILER WARNING!!!

I do not like non-elimination races--not at this late stage of the race, anyhoo.  It just seems to be a cheat.  But at least now there's a chance--no matter how slight--that the Globtrotters (who I now truly detest) will be bumped out of the final three. 

I found several (or at least two, LOL) of the teams' behaviors last night abhorrent.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Gay Boys, either.  Their bickering is getting on my nerves.  Brian needs to grow a pair while his wife, Miss America, needs to stop losing steam everytime she has to do a challenge.  And Barbie is schizo--plotting to share bad info on the one hand but then wanting to form an alliance with the Globtrotters.  At this point, I'm really only rooting for the blond guy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

I was hoping for TAR to have just what it had so that I wouldn't miss the finale whenever it may be.

So it's your fault!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »

One item in DR Jose's mug collection makes me wonder: when are we going to get a good "American Gothic" musical?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »

THE ADDAMS FAMILY is in Chicago, DR DtM.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »

Yes it's my fault.....thank you TAR!!!

Years ago I downloaded KISS ME KATE in 3D from the inner web.....it worked okay on my DVD player, but I don't think anyone else could get it to play on any other DVD player.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »

SPOILER WARNING!!!

I do not like non-elimination races--not at this late stage of the race, anyhoo.  It just seems to be a cheat.  But at least now there's a chance--no matter how slight--that the Globtrotters (who I now truly detest) will be bumped out of the final three. 

I found several (or at least two, LOL) of the teams' behaviors last night abhorrent.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Gay Boys, either.  Their bickering is getting on my nerves.  Brian needs to grow a pair while his wife, Miss America, needs to stop losing steam everytime she has to do a challenge.  And Barbie is schizo--plotting to share bad info on the one hand but then wanting to form an alliance with the Globtrotters.  At this point, I'm really only rooting for the blond guy.

Has Brian had any previous publicity or TV time? He just looks really familiar to me.  -I guess I could check out the TAR website, but... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »

Yes it's my fault.....thank you TAR!!!

Years ago I downloaded KISS ME KATE in 3D from the inner web.....it worked okay on my DVD player, but I don't think anyone else could get it to play on any other DVD player.

Sometimes people I burn DVDs for can't play them on their DVD players, but they will work on either their PCs, X-Boxes or Sony Playstations.  I think it has to do with DVD+R vs DVD-R disc formats.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »

SPOILER WARNING!!!

Has Brian had any previous publicity or TV time? He just looks really familiar to me.  -I guess I could check out the TAR website, but... ;)

He reminds me of Ryan Stiles from THE DREW CAREY SHOW, WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY and TWO AND A HALF MEN.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »

WHOA!

Just got an email... Just read said email... Still processing said email... Heavy, man. Heavy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »

We are all agog, DR JOSE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »

Are you replacing Gina Gershon in BYE BYE BIRDIE?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »

Trust me, I'm all agog and much more right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

Trust me, I'm all agog and much more right now.

Alas, no I'm not. However, Bobby Longbottom keeps saying he'll get me into Dreamgirls for the tour.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »

Although, seriously, without going into specifics... Maybe I shouldn't go home for Thanksgiving. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

Finally catching up on last week's "Survivor" via the DVR....

NO REAL SPOILER NEEDED....

Could that Sprint product placement have been even more blatant?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »

Whatever soap is playing in the background, YOUNG & RESTLESS or BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL, it's the one about LA Fashion - if there is any such thing - and has a character Brooke who whispers all her lines, is killing off Betty White today. While I don't give a damn about the soap, it certainly is bringing back sad memories of my dad's death.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

It's "The Bold and the Beautiful"...  Change the channel, or turn off the TV and put on some music.  {{{{{{DR elmore}}}}}
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »

Still processing the contents of the email I received a little while ago... Time to log off and shut down for a bit.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:28 AM »

We Are In France, and Boy Are My Arms Tired!

Actually it is my legs that are really tired this morning.   I went to bed at about nine, and, at the time, we were still in port.  At ten, when they started the engines I woke up thinking we were having an earthquake (seaquake?).  After I figured out where I was and what was going on, I fell back asleep and slept very soundly.  I woke up sometime in the night, wandered off to the bathroom, and then when I got back into bed I wondered what time it was.  So, I reached over and turned on the light on the nightstand to see what time the clock read.  The clock read 10:35????  How could I possibly have slept so soundly and only thirty-five minutes had passed.  I knew it wasn’t 10:35 in the morning because it was pitch dark out.  So, then I laid awake far too long trying to figure out if I had read the sailing time incorrectly, but that still didn’t make sense.  The thing I didn’t bother to do (I AM A IDIOT) was go over to the desk and check my watch.  Because then I would have realized that the battery in the clock died at 10:35.  So, instead I dreamed all night about clocks and time and being late.  The only way I managed to figure it out was at 8:00, when we docked in Marseille and I looked over at it still said 10:35.

How depressing, when I left my cabin this morning, there was a letter in my cabin e-mail with all the details of disembarking from the ship on Wednesday, my transfer to the airport, and my luggage tags for leaving the ship.  That is always a sure sign that the cruise is just about over.  Tomorrow we will have to have our bags packed and out in the hall before we go to dinner.  And then I will have to be up Wednesday morning at 4:30 a.m.; because I will be disembarking at 6:10 for the airport.  Well, of course, there is also the small matter of clearing customs at the ship, before I can transfer to the airport.  It is amazing that a ten day cruise, that you plan on for so many months, can suddenly be over so quickly.  I have just now gotten to the point where I know which direction to turn when I get off the elevator, so that I don’t end up wandering the wrong side of the ship.  I have just now gotten to the point that the dining staff knows me when I come in, the wine stewards have figured out that I don’t drink, and the servers in the buffet know that I always ask for two scoops of scrambled eggs for breakfast, instead of one.

I have also figured out what areas of the ship are nice for relaxing, and which areas are good for listening to music in the afternoon or the evening.  I have figured out which members of our 640-member little family will say good morning or afternoon, which ones would love to have you joined them for a meal and a chat, and which ones to avoid at all costs.  A friend asked me if I liked the small ship better than the large ship.  It is hard to decide.  There are certainly advantages to both.  The large ships offer you all of the non-stop events and shows to keep you going night or day, but they also provide you with two thousand strangers who you seldom see more than once or twice during the cruise.  On this smaller ship, you see the same persons several times a day, and when you run into some of them ashore, you instantly know that they are from the same ship.  I think if I had my choice, I would take a smaller ship again, but one that didn’t have non-stop days in port.  There is something nice about being at sea for twenty four hours at a time, when you have nothing more important to do than eat and read and nap.  The different port every day takes you out of the world of cruising, and instead puts you in the world of a floating hotel.  I think I prefer a combination of the two.  The sights that you get to explore are certainly the magic of the vacation, but the time onboard ship is like the icing on the cake.

OH YEA, FRANCE!

The one draw back of traveling my cruise ship is that you don’t end up arriving in the middle of the city.  Some times, like Rome, you are 45 miles away from the city in Civitavecchia.  Other cities you actually arrive in that city, but exactly near anything that you want to see.  Such is the case of Marseille.  We docked at a very nice pier.  I could see one of the cathedrals near by, but there didn’t appear to be anyway to get across the freeway that divided the pier from the city.  So, in my continued effort to abuse my legs, my hips, my back, and my feet; I set out on foot.  Well, after crossing this vast wasteland of nothingness and construction sites (what the Hell were they building?), I finally saw a big set of steps leading up to this old fortress.  So, I went up the steps followed the path around …. and around, and finally arrived at the local marina.  Now, there is no way any other city could match the beauty of some of the yachts in Monte Carlo; but I defiantly have never seen so many boats crammed together in one marina.  There were so many masts sticking up that harbor that it looked like the olds day in New York when all of the buildings had a mass of TV antenna.  Well, I walked and I walked, but I didn’t find very many shops.  There were lots and lots or restaurants and outdoor cafes, but not really any stores.  After hiking for another half hour, I came to a very busy area of the city that was set up with a beautiful old-fashioned carousel and a Ferris wheel, and lots and lots of little sidewalk booths, most of them selling manger scenes, crèches, and Christmas figures of Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus.  The amazing thing was each of these canvas-covered booths all seemed to have identical stuff for sale.  Oh there were a few booths selling picture frames, or hand-painted mirrors for sale, but most of them were selling the identical Christmas figures.  And there wasn’t one menorah in the bunch.  So, after wandering through all these booths (I will never make fun of Holiday Bazaars at church again) I grabbed a cab and came back to the ship.  And that was the extent of my visit to France!

Tonight we sailed for Majorca at 6:00 p.m.; and for the first time during this voyage we have very rough water.  My fellow travelers and I have been trying to walk down the hallways without following on our collective asses, and so far we seem to have made it.  I keep waiting for a handy Boy Scout to offer to walk me down the corridor to my cabin.  But since this cruise seems to be lacking in Boy Scouts, I think I will stagger my way back to my cabin and watch TV.

Good Night!     
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »

Stagger Free vibes for Msr. TCB.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up