Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK FAIR  (Read 14903 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: THE BOOK FAIR
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

your favorite homemade cookie recipe

Simple, but tried-and-true:

thank you DAW!  I have just printed this out
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »

DR Vixmom - my tried and true shortbread cut-outs:  Cream together 2 sticks butter (NOT margarine) and 1/2 cup light brown sugar.  Knead in about 2&1/2 to 3 cups flour until "rolling" consistency.  Roll about 1/4" thick, cut, and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 300o until golden brown.  Cool & decorate with icing, etc.

These take some practice, but are worth it.  You can bake them ahead and freeze for decorating later.  A great tradition at our house is to have a cookie decorating party with holiday visitors.

Thanks Ginny _ I have just printed this out!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »

Oh! I keep forgetting and Cilla's post  just reminded me -  the Vixter wants to bake home made cookies this year - she is asking of each of you to post yor favorite homemade cookie recipe - the only cookies I have ever made from scratch are thr Toll House cookies recipe from the back of the bag

Most of the recipes that I have are ones that have been posted here.  I did a search and couldn't find that this recipe was posted on HHW.  I haven't made these, but they sound good:

Pound Cake Cookies

Makes 4 to 5 dozen small cookies

Pastry chef Ann Amernick brushes these tender cookies with a sweet-tart glaze using a soft-bristled paintbrush. Just one swipe imparts the perfect amount. These are best served the day they are baked.

The cookies are based on the old-fashioned approach to pound cake that calls for a pound of each ingredient. Weighing the ingredients is encouraged but not necessary.

8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
8 ounces (scant 1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar
8 ounces eggs (about 4 large eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
8 ounces (scant 1 1/4 cups) flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (between 1 and 2 large lemons)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a wire rack over newspapers, a brown paper bag, paper towels or wax paper to catch any drips.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter and sugar for about 4 minutes. The mixture should be light in color and texture but not fluffy.

Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition just until combined. Add the vanilla or lemon zest and mix for about 2 minutes.

Add the flour in 3 additions, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to ensure the ingredients are completely incorporated the dense dough. Drop teaspoons of the dough onto the baking sheet or fit a pastry bag with a No. 6 or 7 Ateco tip and pipe the dough onto the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 5 minutes, then rotate the sheet front to back.

Bake for about 5 more minutes, until cookies are lightly golden and just firm to the touch. The cookies will spread out; they should be a little soft, not crisp.

In a bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. The mixture should be smooth and somewhat runny.

Remove the cookies from the oven; immediately transfer them to a wire rack and, using a soft-bristled paintbrush about 1 1/2 inches wide, lightly brush the cookies with the glaze.

Per cookie (based on 60): 64 calories, 1 gm protein, 8 gm carbohydrates, 3 gm fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 2 gm saturated fat, 5 mg sodium, trace dietary fiber.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:52:26 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

my favorite holiday cut out cookies.  not only do the taste great, thy cut out easily.  i don't care for icing, instead i prefer to decorate with other topping.  to me plain colored sugar tastes the best.  i used to mix the dough ahead of time, keeping it in the frig until the boys were ready to cut and bake with me.

HOLIDAY SUGAR CUT OUT COOKIES

Sift together:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream together:    
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar

Beat in:
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Slowly add dry ingredients

Divide cookie dough in half; wrap each half in wax paper
Chill in frig at least two hours

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

Roll out dough on floured surface and cut with plain cookie cutter
(I dip the cookie cutters in flour first)

Decorate cookies
(I use colored sugar)

Bake 8-10 minutes

thask Jane!  There's now 3 recipes in the HHW Cookie Cookbook! 

vixmom

« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »

one of my all time favorite cookies and easy to make.  again, the batter can be made ahead of time until ready to bake.  the baked cookies taste great right out of the freezer.

Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup soft butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
8 teaspoons sugar mixed with
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Sift flour, powder, soda & salt; set aside
At medium speed, beat butter, sugar & eggs until light & fluffy
At low speed beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth
Gradually beat in flour mixture until well combined
Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees,
Lightly grease cookie sheet
Drop batter by slightly rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet
Sprinkle with topping
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

These can be frozen.  In fact, when I’m in the mood, I sometimes prefer them that way.

FOUR!! I have never heard of these before - as a sour cream junkie I find that amazing - I definitely want to test out ths recipe!

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

Think I'll try the sour cream cookies for a cookie exchange

vixmom

« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »

For DR the vixter -

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Set 2 racks in the middle and upper thirds of the oven and preheat to 350F degrees.

In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats, and pecans together with a whisk or fork. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for 30 seconds until blended. Beat in the egg until smooth and barely fluffy. With mixer running on medium high, drizzle in the maple syrup and vanilla until incorporated.

Turn the mixer down to its lowest setting and gradually add the flour-oatmeal mixture. Blend just to combine, then mix in the chocolate chips.

Drop walnut-sized balls of dough onto a nonstick or parchment-lined cookie sheet at 3-inch intervals. With moistened fingers, flatten and round out the cookies a little.

Bake for 9 minutes, turning the pan once for even baking. The cookies are done when they are lightly browned on top. Set the cookie sheets on a rack to cool.
Yield: about 36 cookies

The Vixter is going to be so pleased with all these recipes!  Thank you!!

Kerry

« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »

DR elmore3003 - have a great time tomorrow at the FINIAN'S recording session!   I hope you will report everything about it.
~~~DITTO!!~~~ 
I hope you post a FULL report!! ;D

AND PICTURES!!!
I like boat races.

vixmom

« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »

Tax work is under control for the weekend, although not by any means finished.

Looking forward to seeing RAGTIME today.

I am very anxious to hear your thoughts of this production  - I have been thinking about taking the Vixter to see it (I missed it last time around )-- although I desperately want to go see South Pacific as well....

Make it a weekend and go see both!

there's that whole "you gotta pay for the tickets" problem  with that plan....

;)

Surely with all the overtime you've been putting in at work... I hope...

Oh , have I never mentioned this part?  I am a "salaried paraprofessional" that means oddly enough that no matter how many hours I put in over 40 hours I only get paid for 40 - however if I work less than 40 hours I must use vacation or sick time ....

oh how I wish I had never left my old job at C & B!!!

Kerry

« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »

Pain free vibes, healing vibes, car repair vibes, cookie making vibes, real estate woe vibes, winter weather vibes to us all-- especially to those who need them most.
I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »

Pain free vibes, healing vibes, car repair vibes, cookie making vibes, real estate woe vibes, winter weather vibes to us all-- especially to those who need them most.

DITTO!

vixmom

« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

I have spent my day doing laundry, slow roasting a pork loin and making cookies of a sort:  Chocolate-Almond Saltine Toffee.  It's a confection I got the recipe for several years ago in Food & Wine magazine.  I like to make it for grazing days (everyone brings snack foods) at work and it proves to be popular.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds (6 ounces)
Approximately 60 saltine crackers (not low-sodium)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 sticks (3/4 pound) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast for about 6 minutes, until golden.

2. Line a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or lightly buttered parchment paper. Arrange the saltine crackers on the baking sheet in a single layer, patching any holes with cracker bits; slight gaps are okay.

3. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and corn syrup and cook over low heat until the sugar is melted. Brush the side of the pan with a moistened pastry brush to wash down any sugar crystals. Cook the syrup over moderate heat without stirring until it starts to brown around the edge, about 5 minutes. Insert a candy thermometer into the syrup and simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon, until honey-colored caramel forms and the temperature reaches 300°, about 6 minutes longer.

4. Slowly and carefully pour the caramel over the crackers, being sure to cover most of them evenly. Using an offset spatula, spread the caramel to cover any gaps. Let cool for 3 minutes, then sprinkle the chopped chocolate evenly on top. Let stand until the chocolate is melted, about 3 minutes, then spread the chocolate evenly over the toffee. Spread the almonds evenly over the chocolate. Freeze the toffee until set, about 15 minutes.

5. Invert the toffee onto a work surface and peel off the mat or paper. Invert again, break into large shards and serve.

Make Ahead:

The chocolate-almond saltine toffee can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.

I think I have had this and it was to die for! Thank you for the recipe!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #222 on: December 06, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »

Oh , have I never mentioned this part?  I am a "salaried paraprofessional" that means oddly enough that no matter how many hours I put in over 40 hours I only get paid for 40 - however if I work less than 40 hours I must use vacation or sick time ....

Oh... :-\ I was afraid of that.

Well... I at least hope you're due for a rather generous Christmas/End of Year Bonu$$$$.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #223 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »

I wept again at the closing scene of FINIAN'S RAINBOW this afternoon. I so love this production! Then I had a too-brief visit with two of my favorite people, DR FJL and the wonderful Skip Kennon. I wpould have loved to stay for pizza but I had to get home to accomplish soem more work before I head for bed around 9:30. I have to be up around 6 am to accomplish a lot of what I need to do before tomorrow's recording sessions begin.

I walked out of the apartment at 43rd and 10th, and a bus pulled up almost immediately. It was a nice ride home and I stopped at the market for some tonic water; I'm in the mood for vodka and tonic when I finish my proofreading.

DR vixmom, I want to see RAGTIME too!

Maybe we can set a date!

George

« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »

DITTO!

~~~CUBED!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

Oh! I keep forgetting and Cilla's post  just reminded me -  the Vixter wants to bake home made cookies this year - she is asking of each of you to post yor favorite homemade cookie recipe - the only cookies I have ever made from scratch are thr Toll House cookies recipe from the back of the bag

Most of the recipes that I have are ones that have been posted here.  I did a search and couldn't find that this recipe was posted on HHW.  I haven't made these, but they sound good:

Pound Cake Cookies

Makes 4 to 5 dozen small cookies

Pastry chef Ann Amernick brushes these tender cookies with a sweet-tart glaze using a soft-bristled paintbrush. Just one swipe imparts the perfect amount. These are best served the day they are baked.

The cookies are based on the old-fashioned approach to pound cake that calls for a pound of each ingredient. Weighing the ingredients is encouraged but not necessary.

8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
8 ounces (scant 1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar
8 ounces eggs (about 4 large eggs)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
8 ounces (scant 1 1/4 cups) flour
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (between 1 and 2 large lemons)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a wire rack over newspapers, a brown paper bag, paper towels or wax paper to catch any drips.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter and sugar for about 4 minutes. The mixture should be light in color and texture but not fluffy.

Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition just until combined. Add the vanilla or lemon zest and mix for about 2 minutes.

Add the flour in 3 additions, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to ensure the ingredients are completely incorporated the dense dough. Drop teaspoons of the dough onto the baking sheet or fit a pastry bag with a No. 6 or 7 Ateco tip and pipe the dough onto the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 5 minutes, then rotate the sheet front to back.

Bake for about 5 more minutes, until cookies are lightly golden and just firm to the touch. The cookies will spread out; they should be a little soft, not crisp.

In a bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. The mixture should be smooth and somewhat runny.

Remove the cookies from the oven; immediately transfer them to a wire rack and, using a soft-bristled paintbrush about 1 1/2 inches wide, lightly brush the cookies with the glaze.

Per cookie (based on 60): 64 calories, 1 gm protein, 8 gm carbohydrates, 3 gm fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 2 gm saturated fat, 5 mg sodium, trace dietary fiber.

thanks George!  Our HHW Cookbook is off to a fine start!

vixmom

« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

Oh... :-\ I was afraid of that.

Well... I at least hope you're due for a rather generous Christmas/End of Year Bonu$$$$.

heh heh heh , Oh  you dear sweet optimistic soul....

vixmom

« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »

PAINFREE RAPID RECOVERY VIBES to our Jane Girl -

you have a Long Island Lutheran congregation praying for your recovery

vixmom

« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

Elmore I am so excited for you !  I cannot wait to buy acopy of your CD and I will demand (politely)that you autograph it for me!!!

Jose I am still hoping for the day I can have you autograph your Broadway OBC for me.... I keep hoping they will put it out even if just as a limited edition 

vixmom

« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2009, 08:31:22 PM »

and VIBES for Cillas' friend Gretchen - may she find comfort in helping others

td

• td
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2009, 08:38:32 PM »

And I ended my season with tonight's penultimate episode of DEXTER, with the plot strands tightening wonderfully leading up to the season finale next week. Should be ripping good entertainment.

. . .and I just watched it tonight!

I can understand why the show is losing viewers, I don't think that it has enough story to be a continuing series.  Having read the novel which it is inspired by, I think that the premise calls out for a miniseries, just not a season-by-season show.  Right now, at its mid-season mark, there is still enough story left to finish out a season, but, I cannot see the point in trying to be a long-running series.

That said, I find it one of the fastest paced shows on television and really, really look forward to the next installment.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »

I want to visit DR vixmom's house on baking day.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »

Someone send me some peanut butter cookies.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »

Watching a motion picture but definitely won't finish it this evening, as I'm restless.  I just had a bowl of chicken soup from Jerry's (brought it home with me).

vixmom

« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »

I want to visit DR vixmom's house on baking day.  ;)

you may not... I hang my head in shame in the presence this culinary accomplished  company to admit -  I have never made home made cookies since I left my mothers house 32 years ago.....

the closest I have come is the Pillsbury cookie dough you buy in a roll in the refrigerator section

I hope that we are able to o do jutice to these wonderful sounding recipes

vixmom

« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

Well I am all caught up -  if you dont hear from me it just means I was sucked back into that black hole I call an office .... VIBES to ALL for a wonderful week

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2009, 09:51:37 PM »

I love peanut butter blossoms.  Always made them during the years.  Not so much anymore, maybe for Christmas day this year.

Went to the local Studio City Parade, walked, watched, shopped, and had the best chocolate dipped pretzels that were being handed out for free by one of the local sweets store.

Have a really great week everyone. ;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »

Don't forget - new Kritzerland title at midnight.

George

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2009, 12:04:07 AM »

My PayPal account is waiting. :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up