Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN I'M SIXTY-TWO  (Read 20976 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WHEN I'M SIXTY-TWO
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2009, 07:25:32 AM »

Yesterday's sessions, which were around 12 hours long, produced some wonderful performances and some excellent playing from the orchestra. I think it will be a really good cast album. It was great to see everyone and I am very happy with what I heard go to tape.

Personally, I left last night feeling frustrated and rather useless. I could have stayed home and the day would have been fine without me. I was a fifth wheel and I can only blame the limited space at the studio for the problem. It's a great studio with friendly staff and I can see why PS Classics lkes using it, but the booth is small, there's liittle room outside the booth for a large group to be comfortable and I had no place to sit, settle, unpack my scores and do what I like to do at a session. I feel I'm there to keep an eye on the music, answer questions or provide speedy solutions, and help things run smoothly for the conductor, basically the things Joshie did accomplish yesterday. I spent most of the day sitting on the arm of Josh's chair in the booth since there was not enough space to seat the guests and the crew.

I was sent into the studio at one point to make room for the producers, press, widow of Burton Lane, etc., to keep an eye on wrong notes but my presence made Rob Berman the conductor, justifiably uncomfortable with me standing next to him; and if I moved around, the violinists complained that I was distracting them peripherally. If I went into the booth,  I often got singled out for talking during the order for quiet, even if the discusson prompting my censure was the finish of something about the score that Josh and i were debating or the answer to a question from Red Press - who sends his greetings, BK - and at one point, one of the recording execs rather pointedly told me publicy in a break that I was talking too much, which I sort of brushed off as "well, Josh starts it" since Josh was the person I was talking to when the comment was thrown at me, but that did rankle since I spent the day in state of uselessness and frustration.

On the plus side, it was nice to see people outside the theatre, I got to meet Burton Lane's lovely widow, I gave two of the producers and the stage manager copies of "Christmas Mornings," and the catered meals were quite wonderful, even if the crowded conditions meant dining while sitting on the floor and praying no one would knock over your drink. One of our producers, Mr Kevin Spirtas, showed up and, yes, folks, I'm going to see more of Kevin than I ever expected in his current play this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:14:56 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »

And now I'll be heading downstairs to start on my little photo project. Then it'll be time to start cooking lunch and having an afternoon of leisure viewing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:47 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing your story of the recording session, DR Elmore. Sorry it couldn't have been more comfortable for you, but I'm glad you were there for troubleshooting and to lend moral support to the cast. I'm sure it was appreciated.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

DAW

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »

Thanks for the report, DR elmore3003.   I understand why it felt frustrating for you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »

As to the recording events, we began with the orchestra since they were reading unfamliar material and we had two extra violinists to bring up to the prepared level of the pit players and the crew could adjust sound levels and fix mikes during the readings . The Overture was recorded complete, but it's cut down in the production, so Rob had several sections to run through with the band along with the original unused Entr'Acte. Those were recorded along with the dances to "If This Isn't Love" and "When The Idle Poor Become The Idle Rich," which had additional cut material put back. The second session began with Cheyenne and Kate Baldwin doing their duets, followed by the mighty Chris Fitzgerald doing his two duet with Kate, who then was released with Cheyenne (back at 7), his "When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love" and his reprise of "Something Sort of Grandish" with the kids. I think at that point, we did "The Begat" with the gospel trio. Chuck Cooper, our lead, was flying back from Atlanta from taping the Monique Show yesterday morning, and we would overdub him at the end of the sessions.

During the late afternoon the ensemble began arriving and we spent the third session doing the numbers with the leads and the ensemble. The final session was ensemble and when I left the studio with the band, Chuck Cooper was recording his part of "The Begat."

It will be a wonderful record of this production

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:59:15 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 07:44:47 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... Aaaaannnnddd....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »

!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BK
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE!

I knew who you were before meeting you just outside of mr gordon's drama class.  my father had told me a few tidbits, told to him by your father, before i would meet you.  apparently your father had not mentioned you would be meeting the daughter of a long time customer.  my knowledge gave me a fun advantage until i confessed to how i obtained it. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Since I've always been a reader of the "fine print" on records/cassettes/CDs, I'm guessing I first came to know bk via one of his Varese releases, probably "Unsung Sondheim".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »

DR JOSE - who was saying NO NO NO NO.....when Mr Diorio's name was called.....the "dancer" or the audience?

The dancers (on stage) said, "No, No, No, No..." - along with a lot of head-shaking, index-finger shaking and 'tude.  The audience, at the point, just roared! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:21 AM »

FROM CILLA
Wonderful!! I hope every day keeps getting better than the day before

thank you, such a nice thought.  i will to to remember there will be set backs and the improvements may be subtle.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:34 AM »

A composer friend from The Drama Book Shop, Thom Heinrichs, and I in Spring 1980 went to a one-day showing of THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL at the old Thalia revival house at 95th and Broadway. We saw the 7:00 showing, and at 11 I went back to catch the final showing.  The next day at the Book Shop I told everyone that it was one of the funniest films I'd ever seen and that I wanted to work with the director. I bought the album and played it to death. One day I was raving about the movie in the shop and a very sweet customer named Lila told me she had gone to college with BK and I learned what I could from her. She was a neat lady and I haven't seen her in about 30 years now.

What a wonderful story - and a great birthday present for bk - DR elmore.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:38 AM »

LOL....thanks DR JOSE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »

DR elmore - Just remember - A few months from now, when all of us are listening to the newly released cast recording of Finian's Rainbow, none of us will "hear" your frustration.  All we will be experiencing will be your attention to detail, your "additional orchestrations", and your love of the score.

Congratulations!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »

You're welcome, DR JRand.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »

A most wonderful birthday wish for our BK!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »

DR Julie - I hope I didn't ruin the joke for you.  -The first skit of the Gypsy of the Year, that is. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »

Isn't "62" the new "43"?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Obama Spokesman: 'Silly' Not to Allow Vet to Fly Flag

WASHINGTON -- White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that it is "silly" to think that a 90-year-old Medal of Honor winner is being asked to remove a flagpole from his front yard.

Retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, a World War II veteran, is fighting to keep the 21-foot pole at his suburban Richmond home. His homeowners association said the pole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines. It pushed back a deadline to remove it to Friday.

Gibbs said during a briefing that he hasn't spoken directly to President Barack Obama about the flap. But he said "the president believes -- I think all of us believe -- that the very least we can do is show our gratitude and thanks to somebody that served our country so admirably."

He went on to say that "it's silly to ... think that somebody that's done that can't have a flagpole and ... show the proper respect and appreciation that any flag deserves by flying that in their neighborhood."

I wonder if views would be any different if the flag flying was the Stars and Bars?

der Brucer

What flag IS he flying?   I would be very much surprised to learn it was other than "Old Glory"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:37 AM »

TOD:

I first knew of BK when I saw him on an episode of LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY, the one where he played the director.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:55 AM »

from vixmom
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR DEAR JANE!!!
May you have a painfree night!

thanks.

it wasn't painfree, however thanks to tylnol at midnight and a double dose of pain meds at 2:30 i had mt best night since going off the morphine.

Julie

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »

DR Julie - I hope I didn't ruin the joke for you.  -The first skit of the Gypsy of the Year, that is. ;)

Oh no - not at all!  I'm the one who asked you for the report.  I like hearing details and knowing what to look for.   There was a surprising spaucity of reports on the usual chatter sites - wonder why?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »

We had a bit of weather during the night here.

The really BIG news would be if you had NO weather at all.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »

I wonder if views would be any different if the flag flying was the Stars and Bars?

der Brucer

Well... Sadly... Unfortunately...

First of all, I'm not exactly sure why you would post such a comment/response of this board.

Secondly... Steve's family is from Richmond.  Steve's brother flew the "stars and bars" outside of his house. One day, someone walked up to his house, knocked on his door, then shot him point blank in the face.

And that's the end of my "response".

Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »

jose, that is a horrible story, so very sad.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2009, 08:27:17 AM »

VIXMOM,    SO SORRY YOUR CAR IS USING UP YOUR XMAS GIFT MONEY.  I’M SURE PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND, SO MANY ARE CUTTING OUT GIFT GIVING THIS YEAR.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Obama Spokesman: 'Silly' Not to Allow Vet to Fly Flag

WASHINGTON -- White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that it is "silly" to think that a 90-year-old Medal of Honor winner is being asked to remove a flagpole from his front yard.

Retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, a World War II veteran, is fighting to keep the 21-foot pole at his suburban Richmond home. His homeowners association said the pole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines. It pushed back a deadline to remove it to Friday.

Gibbs said during a briefing that he hasn't spoken directly to President Barack Obama about the flap. But he said "the president believes -- I think all of us believe -- that the very least we can do is show our gratitude and thanks to somebody that served our country so admirably."

He went on to say that "it's silly to ... think that somebody that's done that can't have a flagpole and ... show the proper respect and appreciation that any flag deserves by flying that in their neighborhood."

der Brucer

What flag IS he flying?   I would be very much surprised to learn it was other than "Old Glory"!

Well... Since I have some ties to Richmond... And since I have sort of been following this story already....

Just to be clear, the homeowner's association has no problem with the flag.  They have a problem with the flagpole.  -It should also be noted that this is not the first flagpole controversy in Richmond.

For additional info, he's a LINK to some of the local coverage.

*And the flag he was flying was the "stars and stripes".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:32:01 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

And on those not-so-cheery notes... (Sorry)

It's time for me to get the rest of my day in gear.  I have a few errands to run, a possible return trip to the Gypsy of the Year this afternoon, and I think I'm going to hear the New York Philharmonic tonight.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »

For the record, for any who may be confused, "Old Glory" is a commmonly used nickname for "The Stars and Stripes" (or, the Flag of the United States of America).

The Stars and Bars was a flag of the Confederacy. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up