Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEKEND IS HERE  (Read 16537 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE WEEKEND IS HERE
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »

I've just written an obscene amount of checks to pay Kritzerland bills, but that's done, with only a few more coming this year.  I've been to the bank, and then I had a call from Nick Redman reminding me we were supping this evening at Genghis Cohen - glad he called because I had completely forgotten.  It's a late birthday dinner, and I can't wait to have my orange chicken and green beans and maybe the sole - we'll all share everything, of course.  Rain seems to have abated for the moment, and I'm waiting to hear from a local dealer whether I should drive over to him and deliver a big box o' CDs and get the dough for same, which I could use given the obscene check writing of earlier this day.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2009, 11:52:46 AM »

Jeanne my mother was from England and kept our house on the cool side.  possibly your roommate's parents were from New England.  when we lived in Massachusetts everyone i knew kept the heaters set low to conserve energy, though not that low.

Kerry

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »

Just checking in to send feel good vibes, pain free vibes, any doctor's check- up vibes that are needed, job vibes, possible retirement vibes and all around survival vibes. 
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »

Last night I went to the Metropolitan Opera to see the new production of Les Contes d'Hoffmann, one of my very favorite operas.  I enjoyed it very much.  For the most part, I found Bartlett Sher's direction to be engaging and interesting, but Michael Yeargan's set design to be somewhat less successful.  I thought it was fairly inspired for Olympia's act one, and Giulietta's act three, but somewhat puzzling for Antonia's Act 2.  But I must say that I thought musically, Act 2 was just stunningly beautiful.  I was particularly impressed with Kathleen Kim's performance as Olympia.

The House was sold out for last night's performance.  Two things struck me while I was there.  First, the pricing.  The orchestra and parterre are extremely expensive at the Met -- well above most people's price range on any regular basis.  Yet, the Met manages to have a very broad pricing structure.  You can get standing room upstairs for only $15, and seats in the upper boxes for only $20, which is also the price of standing room at the back of the orchestra.  There are many different price ranges between $15 and $300.  People who love opera and want to "be in the room" can be, at a very affordable price.  And the price is the price -- anyone can access those seats at the box office or online on a first come, first served basis.  You don't need to be "in the know" about any special discount codes, papering services, clubs, insider deals, or anything like that.  It made me wonder why Broadway Theaters, many of which are struggling to find audiences for the shows they house, can't adapt to that model more.  There is no reason why 8th row side mezzanine should be priced the same as third row center orchestra.  Maybe if they regularly made tickets available for $20, $30 and $40 in the mezzanine, and similar (albeit higher) pricing scales in the orchestra -- and you didn't need to know the secret password to get in on the deal -- it was simply the regular price of the ticket -- they would have better success selling those seats, and attending the theater could once again become a regular activity for people living in the Greater New York area, like it used to be.

The second thing, was just how thrilling it is to be in that Grand venue, looking down (I had one of the cheap seats) and seeing nearly 60 musicians in that orchestra pit, and about the same number of performers on stage, when the full chorus was present.  120 people!!!  And you can get all of that for as little as $15.  What a deal that is!

Lastly, another thrill for me that James Levine was conducting.  I feel like I've grown up with him.  How many operas I've seen over the years with him at the helm.  Quite a history he has there. 

I love the TALES OF HOFFMANN, but then almost all the DRs know my obsession for the theatre music of Jacques Offenbach, which runs from grand opera to what I consider early theatre of the absurd. I really wanted to see this edition of Hoffmann, but friends at the dress were unconvinced about this new production. my favorite DVD is the John Schlessinger production with Domingo for the Royal Opera, but I have a fascination for the Michael Powell film, which often strikes me with the feeling of oh dear, Sir Thomas Beecham has fallen into a demented window dresser's chic-est display for 1950. At the same time, I think much of it is glorious in its over-the-top style.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:25:39 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2009, 12:33:15 PM »

I've been to the library and I've just proofed Act Three, Scene One of MOST HAPPY FELLA. After I finish typing up my notes, I will take a break before I head into midtown for tonight's play. I think I will stop by FINIAN'S RAINBOW and deliver a few "Christmas Mornings" to our company manager and a couple of the cast, particularly Chris Fitzgerald, Cheyenne, Jim Norton, Terry White, and Kate Baldwin - I want to wish her well for her show at Feinstein's tomorrow night. I'll be at Brent's show.

I just had a slice of a delicious pizza for lunch and I'm back to the notes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »

Just checking in to send feel good vibes, pain free vibes, any doctor's check- up vibes that are needed, job vibes, possible retirement vibes and all around survival vibes. 

that should cover everyone, including yourself. :)
DITTO!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »

I've been playing Christmas music all day. Do you know what I have decided is my least favorite? "The Little Drummer Boy." Hands down.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

Back to Frank Loesser.

DAW

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »

Seen on a bumper sticker:

I brake for no apparent reason.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »

Congrats to Rob on his Graduation Day!!!

DITTO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »

What a delightful afternoon of viewing I've had. I began by watching three PERRY MASON episodes so I could finish up with disc 4 in the set. (Disc 5 has three episodes on it.)

Once again, Perry is more of a detective than a lawyer in two of the three cases, investigating crime scenes and slipping out onto the fire escape once the police arrive. They certainly didn't do these kinds of things in later seasons of the show.

One episode didn't have him in court for a single second. He solved the case without going to trial.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »

I've been playing Christmas music all day. Do you know what I have decided is my least favorite? "The Little Drummer Boy." Hands down.

It's not a favorite of mine either, DR Elmore.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »

Then I watched this week's UGLY BETTY, the pregnancy scare episode. I can't believe intelligent straight people having sex in 2009 and not using protection for both disease prevention AND unwanted pregnancy. I mean, these people aren't in committed relationships; they're sexually active and they're not using protection? VERY foolish.

Some funny stuff here, but that's not a good message to be sending out.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »

Then I watched this week's episode of THE OFFICE. Oh, my, at long last, a potential boy friend for Oscar....

and played by the very handsome 24-year old son of Tim Daly! Be still my heart. (I still think the father is a dreamboat.)

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »

I then started watching this week's SUPERNATURAL rerun, but I only got halfway through. This is the one where Dean is zapped five years into the future and gets to see the world in five years and interview himself after a five year estrangement from his brother. Effective episode, and some really great lines, too. Seeing Castiel as a stoned hippie was also hilarious.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »

I do have WATCHMEN ready to play when I go back down. It's over three hours long, so I hope it holds my interest.

George

« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

DR George - I am amazed that:

1]  Your picture of your television came out so clearly, and
[2] That you so quickly identified the source!

Congratulations!        :D

1] Who knew?? ;D Evidently, you can take pictures of Hi-def TVs much betterly than CRT TVs, and
[2] Closer Than Ever is one of my absolute favorite musical reviews...WSMA, you know. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

Dear George, nice camera.

Thanks.  It was inexpensive to begin with and I got it on sale, also!  However, the batteries don't last very long. :P

DAW

« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

Closer Than Ever is one of my absolute favorite musical reviews...WSMA, you know.

And the score ain't half bad, neither!           ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »

I'm heading down in a few minutes to get started on the three-hour WATCHMEN. I have a few computer maintenance issues to take care of first.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »

Seen on a bumper sticker:

I brake for no apparent reason.

I think I followed that car this morning.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »

Closer Than Ever is one of my absolute favorite musical reviews...WSMA, you know.

And the score ain't half bad, neither!           ;)

Well, there is that, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »

Back from delivering a big box o' CDs.  It wasn't raining when I left, but boy did it start like crazy about five minutes into my drive.  As always, the usually insane horrid LA drivers become more insane and more horrid the minute wetness hits the pavement.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »

And might I just say page FOUR?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »

You'd think it was a rainy Saturday or something.  No packages again - very annoying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »

Looking forward to Genghis Cohen in a couple of hours.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

We've got seven GUESTS. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »

I'd recommend someone getting off their ASS and posting, that's what I'd recommend.  I'm tired of looking at page four.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

It's really pouring.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2009, 03:28:33 PM »

I make seven posts and we're still on page four.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up